Extra B/D service for Yankee Games

So there's a special (7) service for Mets' games, but I haven't heard of any special (B) or (D) service for Yankee games. Tonight was a disaster. Long waits as more and more Yankee fans packed the platforms to go to the game. I cancelled my session tonight. Waits were too long and the trains were too crowded. I overheard a few Yankee fans saying that the trains would be packed and they were because yet again the waits between trains were very long.

They usually run specials from the spur or middle by 167 to 2nd ave/Houston or 9th Ave. Dunno why not tonight — could have to do  with Concourse GO going on right now. 

Generally, Concourse needs more service. Both the (B) and (D) should get 10tph in the peak direction in the Bx, and (D) express hours should be lengthened. 

8 hours ago, RR503 said:

They usually run specials from the spur or middle by 167 to 2nd ave/Houston or 9th Ave. Dunno why not tonight — could have to do  with Concourse GO going on right now. 

Generally, Concourse needs more service. Both the (B) and (D) should get 10tph in the peak direction in the Bx, and (D) express hours should be lengthened. 

I've thought about that too. Along with the (4) serving Jerome Avenue, the (B)/(D) are really the only services serving the Central Bronx, yet the former has no express service in The Bronx, whereas the latter does, but on a limited basis that's short lived.

Back when the new stadium opened, I actually had to ditch the (4) and take the (7) to the (D) to see the game because everyone would pack on those trains and there was space on the (B)(D) trains. Now with gentrification and more "savvy" Yankee fans, they pack onto the already overcrowded 6th Avenue line. 

10 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

There's only extra service after the game, which the (D) does have. No line has extra service before baseball games.

And thats a problem...The (MTA) should provide extra service for baseball events especially to the (B)(D)..Its not like there's baseball all year long..Makes no sense to me to add service after a game rather than before and after a game knowing u gonna have a heavy addition of passengers....

26 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Back when the new stadium opened, I actually had to ditch the (4) and take the (7) to the (D) to see the game because everyone would pack on those trains and there was space on the (B)(D) trains. Now with gentrification and more "savvy" Yankee fans, they pack onto the already overcrowded 6th Avenue line. 

And also the yankees are a winning team right now so of course the passenger volume on the 3 lines that serve the staduim is gonna see a massive increase in fans....1 would think the amount we paying nowadays that the (MTA) will be on point in terms of passenger volume events at the yak and mets....<_<  

1 minute ago, biGC323232 said:

And thats a problem...The (MTA) should provide extra service for baseball events especially to the (B)(D)..Its not like there's baseball all year long..Makes no sense to me to add service after a game rather than before and after a game knowing u gonna have a heavy addition of passengers....

And also the yankees are a winning team right now so of course the passenger volume on the 3 lines that serve the staduim is gonna see a massive increase in fans....1 would think the amount we paying nowadays that the (MTA) will be on point in terms of passenger volume events at the yak and mets....<_<  

What I really wonder about is if they even have ANY capacity. They have to know about the overcrowding in general let alone on game days. They use the some of the oldest cars in the fleet on those lines too, so in addition to poor headways, you get the hand-me-down cars too.

It's easier to justify those post game extra trains as there is a massive number of people leaving the stadium at the same time. That isn't the case before the game, where people can and will arrive up to an hour before the game actually starts. It's the same thing for any major event that occurs in the city.

37 minutes ago, Lance said:

It's easier to justify those post game extra trains as there is a massive number of people leaving the stadium at the same time. That isn't the case before the game, where people can and will arrive up to an hour before the game actually starts. It's the same thing for any major event that occurs in the city.

Here's the problem with your thinking and the (MTA)'s thinking. The (B)(D) can't even handle the regular crowds that it has during the rush, particularly from 18:00 until the tail-end of the rush around 18:50.  You're now adding all of these Yankee goers to the mix, and as I said, before, a lot of them would just pile on the (4) because they didn't know any better, but now they've become "savvy" enough to know that other trains besides the (4) go there.  I've been riding these lines since that new stadium opened and it gets worse every year with the crowding.  Last night was ridiculous.  There was train roughly every 8-10 minutes to handle the regular crowds, PLUS the Yankee crowds. I gave up and cancelled what I had to do knowing what a mess it would be further up the line. Even some of the Yankee fans were commenting about how crowded the trains would be because it had been too long before one had come, and that's really the problem.  Both the (B) and (D) frequency rise run very poorly considering it's the heart of rush hour.  

Concourse service is, again, shit. 6tph local and 9tph express just doesn't cut it. As I said, 10tph each at least. 

In general, I honestly don’t see why the MTA doesn’t see then (B)(D) as a tool that could be used to decrowd the (4). The former two are actually faster in many markets shared with the (4) — it’s just their frequencies are so low that those savings are negated by wait times. I can guarantee you that if you increased service (and maybe reopened some closed entrances) you’d see a significant shift towards the much-less-crowded IND.  

2 minutes ago, RR503 said:

Concourse service is, again, shit. 6tph local and 9tph express just doesn't cut it. As I said, 10tph each at least. 

In general, I honestly don’t see why the MTA doesn’t see then (B)(D) as a tool that could be used to decrowd the (4). The former two are actually faster in many markets shared with the (4) — it’s just their frequencies are so low that those savings are negated by wait times. I can guarantee you that if you increased service (and maybe reopened some closed entrances) you’d see a significant shift towards the much-less-crowded IND.  

I've been given the impression that they really can't run more service, but if they're already maxed out on the 6th Avenue line due to all of the switching involved with the two lines, what are they going to do in the next few years? The crowding is only going to get worse on the line. The City is purposely building new developments and re-zoning NEAR subway lines because the idea is to build where there's "decent' transportation.  Jerome Avenue was recently re-zoned for a large section, so the (4) WILL see more crowding, and so will the (B)(D) since it's the closest to the (4) in the Bronx as an alternative in most cases.

1 hour ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

I've been given the impression that they really can't run more service, but if they're already maxed out on the 6th Avenue line due to all of the switching involved with the two lines, what are they going to do in the next few years? The crowding is only going to get worse on the line. The City is purposely building new developments and re-zoning NEAR subway lines because the idea is to build where there's "decent' transportation.  Jerome Avenue was recently re-zoned for a large section, so the (4) WILL see more crowding, and so will the (B)(D) since it's the closest to the (4) in the Bronx as an alternative in most cases.

They can absolutely run more service. In fact, they do, just in the reverse peak -- both Brighton and West End get 10tph in their peak directions. 

And of course the (4) will see crowding. I'm just saying making the (B)(D) more attractive can help alleviate that.

They actually CUT a (D) trip for each rush hour a couple of years ago.

Apparently the (D) performed so well in the afternoon (really, it did) that they had to pull the reigns in according to their flawed loading guidelines, which as we know, is a disaster (I wish I could put 125% of my foot in the MTA’s mouth...)

The (B) always runs like crap though. It’s consistency has gotten a little better this year, but ridership on both lines is steadily growing.

33 minutes ago, paulrivera said:

They actually CUT a (D) trip for each rush hour a couple of years ago.

Apparently the (D) performed so well in the afternoon (really, it did) that they had to pull the reigns in according to their flawed loading guidelines, which as we know, is a disaster (I wish I could put 125% of my foot in the MTA’s mouth...)

The (B) always runs like crap though. It’s consistency has gotten a little better this year, but ridership on both lines is steadily growing.

Thankfully, in the morning rush hour the (B) is actually fairly reliable. In the PM rush, though, checking the schedule to see when a train will arrive is pointless.

I hate it every time the afternoon "(D) express" stops at Yankee Stadium during Yankee games, when it makes more sense to run 2 local services on the Concourse for 2 and a half hours. Switching between the express and local only renders the Concourse express useless. Concourse service is already crap during middays with the useless (B) and the unreliable (D) being the sole Bronx service.

49 minutes ago, Deucey said:

Never understood why both 161st stations were built as locals since the stadium has always been there and always had crowds.

Maybe to allow residents along the line to avoid said crowds. I would be pissed if I were going home and had to share my train with rowdy drunk fans.

6 hours ago, Deucey said:

Never understood why both 161st stations were built as locals since the stadium has always been there and always had crowds.

Filtering. They'd just slam the expresses heading towards 161 and the locals would be empty.

Archived