Q22/Q35 Rockaways Open House

Union Tpke

6 hours ago, bobtehpanda said:

Sure. You can reduce congestion by building and maintaining parking lots that destroy and blight entire neighborhoods with crime. The Robert Moses "urban renewal" approach that led to Detroit, St. Louis, and all those other dead, crime-ridden American downtowns.

Parking is a privilege, not a right, and somebody has to pay. In a city where half of all households do not even own a car, asking the general taxpayer to do so is absurd. And with parking lots enough is not enough; even if we were to destroy ourselves to Nassau or Suffolk level density, the parking there is still not enough. It's because parking is free that we need so much of it.

Yes, a day does not go by when I do not hear of crime occurring in a parking lot and the Riis Park parking lot just blights the entire Rockaway Peninsula. And  people do pay to use the Riis Park lot. It is not free. And you ignore B35 via Church's comment about the crime at the shopping center that replaced the parking lot at the Junction. Which planet are you living on?

And I love the way the anti-car people always bring up the fact that half of all households do not own a car, ignoring the fact that that the figure varies depending on which part of the city you live in. By that logic, we shouldn't be installing bike lanes everywhere because the perecentage of households that use bikes regularly has to be minuscule. What is it? 3 percent? 5 percent? 

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, BrooklynBus said:

Yes, a day does not go by when I do not hear of crime occurring in a parking lot and the Riis Park parking lot just blights the entire Rockaway Peninsula. And  people do pay to use the Riis Park lot. It is not free. And you ignore B35 via Church's comment about the crime at the shopping center that replaced the parking lot at the Junction. Which planet are you living on?

And I love the way the anti-car people always bring up the fact that half of all households do not own a car, ignoring the fact that that the figure varies depending on which part of the city you live in. By that logic, we shouldn't be installing bike lanes everywhere because the perecentage of households that use bikes regularly has to be minuscule. What is it? 3 percent? 5 percent? 

You misread the parking lot comment; he's saying that while it was a parking lot, there was a lot of crime. Which actually supports my case, since he doesn't actually say anything about there being the same rate of crime now that it's a mall.

Bike lanes is equivalent to road lanes, not parking spaces. In any case, you cannot look me straight in the eyes and tell me that bike lane + bike rack space in this city approaches anywhere near 1% of total road space, whereas there are parking spaces and road lanes, sometimes multiples of them, on nearly every single stretch of pavement in this city.

It's interesting to note that the budget and subsidy for a single parking garage has managed to cost more than the entire funding for Vision Zero in FY 2017.

18 minutes ago, bobtehpanda said:

You misread the parking lot comment; he's saying that while it was a parking lot, there was a lot of crime. Which actually supports my case, since he doesn't actually say anything about there being the same rate of crime now that it's a mall.

Bike lanes is equivalent to road lanes, not parking spaces. In any case, you cannot look me straight in the eyes and tell me that bike lane + bike rack space in this city approaches anywhere near 1% of total road space, whereas there are parking spaces and road lanes, sometimes multiples of them, on nearly every single stretch of pavement in this city.

It's interesting to note that the budget and subsidy for a single parking garage has managed to cost more than the entire funding for Vision Zero in FY 2017.

Not to mention that their very existence takes up valuable space and are a scourge on efficient urban planning. 

Funnily enough, it's been shown that when you reduce parking availability, many people end up switching to other modes of transport which ultimately improves quality of life in the areas done.

Want people to bike? Take away parking and set up their respective lanes. People will start using said lanes. 

Want people so switch to PT? Take out the parking and beef up transit in the area. People will switch.

What eventually happens? The city becomes more attractive, healthier, and easier to move through.  This is not guessing. It has already been done. And don't give me that "If it wasn't done in NYC, it ain't working in NYC" attitude. I mean, if this city is going to achieve an 80 percent reductions of emissions by 2050, we are likely going to see ordinances of this sort in the not-too-distant future anyway.

Speaking of, there are some new parking meters as well as no-parking zone sensors being experimented with in Boston and the Palisades right now which will greatly help with that. As well as keeping folks out of bus lanes and stops. And they will stay out after they get that ticket in the mail they though they got over on.  They are discreet and effective from what I was shown at the recent Smart Cities conference. I'm looking forward to their usage here.

2 hours ago, bobtehpanda said:

Yes, I misread the parking lot comment. That aside, I don't see how bike lanes are equivalent to road lanes when cars cannot use bike lanes but bikes are allowed in car lanes when no bike lane is available unless it is a major highway. Further, whatever the percentage of road space is bike lanes, it far exceeds the amount warranted by bike usage. Queens Blvd is having lanes removed that were once driven on to be replaced by bike lanes. How many daily car rides are there on Queens Blvd? 40,000 or so? That would break down to 5,000 per lane. How many bikes are there per day in the bike lanes? 1,000 per day? That's 500 per lane. So why does it make sense to slow down travel for 5,000 to help 500?  It doesn't. 

Now, I'm not in favor of cars. But until you give them a better alternative by improving mass transit, it is not fair to keep on making it more difficult to drive to promote cycling, increasing the number of cyclists who are killed. Bikes belong on side roads, not on main streets. And I don't see mass transit improving anytime in the near future. 

And regarding your parking lot link, you take one example of a 9,000 space parking lot where there was a corrupt deal to benefit a few and use it as an example to condemn every parking lot in the city. What do you think would happen if no Starbucks, Home Depot, etc didn't have parking lots? Their business would go down the tubes. And don't believe there should be on-street parking either? Right? You just want everyone to bike or use mass transit even if they bought something heavy in Home Depot. Yeah, they should pay extra to have it delivered. No one needs a car. They can just wait an hour for a bus after midnight and another hour if they need a transfer. Right? Or they can always pay $50 or $75 for a cab. 

18 minutes ago, Yankees4life said:

The Q35 need more buses and they need some Artics. You can't just reply on some old Orion VIIs and some sprinkles of 2015 new artics on that route.

You better not say that too loud around here, otherwise someone will go berserk. <_< Us "plebeians" aren't allowed to talk about the fleet.  "Private" matter.  

2 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

You better not say that too loud around here, otherwise someone will go berserk. <_< Us "plebeians" aren't allowed to talk about the fleet.  "Private" matter.  

Honestly the Q35 is a bit of a mystery to look at. Ridership is heaviest in the Brooklyn section. The Q35 has seen an increase of riders outside of the summer. 

25 minutes ago, Yankees4life said:

The Q35 need more buses and they need some Artics. You can't just reply on some old Orion VIIs and some sprinkles of 2015 new artics on that route.

I'd say it needs it most during the summer and maybe rush hours. Ridership is growing, but not to the point it needs to be converted into an artic route.

The Q35 used D60s before, never saw an XD60.

1 minute ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

Honestly the Q35 is a bit of a mystery to look at. Ridership is heaviest in the Brooklyn section. The Q35 has seen an increase of riders outside of the summer. 

I don't see what the mystery is.  Look at what it serves in Brooklyn and there's your answer.  It's nothing more than changing demographics.  That and the horrible B41 service.

2 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

I don't see what the mystery is.  Look at what it serves in Brooklyn and there's your answer.  It's nothing more than changing demographics.  That and the horrible B41 service.

They just need to restore the B41 one way rush hour trips between the Junction and the southern termini during rush hours. 

3 minutes ago, BrooklynBus said:

They just need to restore the B41 one way rush hour trips between the Junction and the southern termini during rush hours. 

The other thing I suspect is that ongoing demographic shift by Kings Plaza is continuing. Elderly whites dying off that would probably drive or take the express bus. Those people are being replaced by people taking the Q35 to the subway as they don't have the means for the express bus (BM1).  Bergen Beach and Mill Basin are quite expensive (similar prices to Manhattan Beach - Mill Basin especially) which is why they haven't changed yet.  We'll see how that looks in 10 years.  I used to hang out in Mill Basin growing up down in South Brooklyn.  That entire area by Kings Plaza has changed substantially. When we lived in Midwood, it was even changing then.

2 hours ago, BrooklynBus said:

Don’t see that happening anytime soon.  Right now (NYCT) is not in the business of improving service on that side of Brooklyn. 

4 hours ago, BrooklynBus said:

Yep. That would also work but some people want to go to the beach too. Let's some Artics in there that could get the best of both worlds

On ‎6‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 3:47 PM, Yankees4life said:

The Q35 need more buses and they need some Artics. You can't just rely on some old Orion VIIs and some sprinkles of 2015 new artics on that route.

fixed.

Anyway, I'm not so sure if it's a lack of service issue with the Q35, moreso than it being outright mismanaged....

On ‎6‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 4:07 PM, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

What is this in reference to?

On ‎6‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 4:14 PM, MysteriousBtrain said:

In what aspect?

1 hour ago, B35 via Church said:

fixed.

Anyway, I'm not so sure if it's a lack of service issue with the Q35, moreso than it being outright mismanaged....

What is this in reference to?

In what aspect?

lol... Just look around... 

As for the Q35, he seems mystified by the increase in ridership in Brooklyn. I'm not. As I said, changing demographics...

23 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

lol... Just look around... 

Bus fleets are talked about quite frequently around these parts... You may pay more attention to & engage in those conversations of the sort, but I personally don't; as I don't have much interest in 'em... At the same time, of the discussions I have seen, I haven't noticed anyone making like bus fleets are some private matter.....

1 minute ago, B35 via Church said:

Bus fleets are talked about quite frequently around these parts... You may pay more attention to & engage in those conversations of the sort, but I personally don't; as I don't have much interest in 'em... At the same time, of the discussions I have seen, I haven't noticed anyone making like bus fleets are some private matter.....

Yeah just one person that goes ape sh*t with anyone that brings it up...  I really didn't appreciate being addressed in such a manner either. He's done it with several members too and I think it's pretty messed up. You can be firm without being rude. No one broke any forum rules so coming at users like that and personally attacking them is petty and childish. I just refuse to engage them any further. 

Archived