Sunnyside station to open after the rest of East Side Access

Union Tpke

Is this going to be a Metro North station?  This station is gonna be way too close to Woodside for a commuter railroad.  If I was paying $450 a month from way out on the island for trains, I would hate to have to be stopping at Sunnyside and then stopping not even 60 seconds later at Woodside or vice versa.

5 hours ago, ViaWaterViaChurch said:

Is this going to be a Metro North station?  This station is gonna be way too close to Woodside for a commuter railroad.  If I was paying $450 a month from way out on the island for trains, I would hate to have to be stopping at Sunnyside and then stopping not even 60 seconds later at Woodside or vice versa.

The proposed station is approximately 1.86 miles from Woodside. Plenty of other station pairs are closer together than that. For example, Forest Hills and Kew Gardens are just 1.02 miles apart.

On 5/11/2018 at 3:28 PM, ViaWaterViaChurch said:

No. LIRR.

On 5/11/2018 at 12:28 PM, ViaWaterViaChurch said:

A station stop is literally a minute or two, which is not going to kill anybody.

11 hours ago, bobtehpanda said:

A station stop is literally a minute or two, which is not going to kill anybody.

A $0.01 surcharge can raise $1 billion a year. Small things add up.

Wow I'm very surprised they're following through with the Sunnyside station plan. What ridership so they think they're gonna get? Assuming it's still planned to be built over by Queens Blvd and Skillman Ave, you're gonna have a hard time attracting commuters from Sunnyside itself... Was it created as a way to allow more potential transfers onto/off the LIRR? Like instead of transferring on/off the 7 at 61, they're offering the option of doing it at Sunnyside?

If it was over by 43 or 48 Street I could see more local traffic using it as a much faster alternative to the subway, but unless this station sees success as some transferring hub for the subway and maybe some feed from that college over on Thomson, I don't know if this is going to be a smart investment...

5 hours ago, CenSin said:

A $0.01 surcharge can raise $1 billion a year. Small things add up.

The LIRR has such extensive padding in their schedule that they can certainly absorb the time. LIRR padding is apparently something on the order of 30% of the scheduled running time.

3 hours ago, Orion6025 said:

Wow I'm very surprised they're following through with the Sunnyside station plan. What ridership so they think they're gonna get? Assuming it's still planned to be built over by Queens Blvd and Skillman Ave, you're gonna have a hard time attracting commuters from Sunnyside itself... Was it created as a way to allow more potential transfers onto/off the LIRR? Like instead of transferring on/off the 7 at 61, they're offering the option of doing it at Sunnyside?

If it was over by 43 or 48 Street I could see more local traffic using it as a much faster alternative to the subway, but unless this station sees success as some transferring hub for the subway and maybe some feed from that college over on Thomson, I don't know if this is going to be a smart investment...

The city is planning to redevelop Sunnyside with a deck. So maybe this is that plan.

Honestly, if they deck it, instead of building a deck that can support lots of buildings (expensive) they should make it a park (cheap) and upzone the surrounding areas instead.

18 minutes ago, bobtehpanda said:

The LIRR has such extensive padding in their schedule that they can certainly absorb the time. LIRR padding is apparently something on the order of 30% of the scheduled running time.

My padding is 15 minutes for taking the train to work. That’s 15 minutes of extra time I can’t use to do things I like 5 times a week for 50 weeks a year. If the MTA subway was as reliable as some of those famed Japanese systems, I could shave that down to 5 minutes recouping 2,500 minutes (~42 hours) a year in the process. Multiply that by the hundreds of coworkers that take the subway to work and in my company alone, that’s 4,200 man-hours a year we’re not paid for to maintain padding in our schedules. The MTA may not care about eating into running time padding, but it also eats into our collective lives.

Maybe Sunnyside will be a popular work destination or transfer point and that will make the issue moot, but a minute should never be underestimated.

Let's see....

LIRR LIC is a railyard that functions as a station.... LIRR Hunterspoint is a glorified xfer point to the (7)... and a new LIRR Sunnyside station which'll even do more nothing for those that work (or will be working in the future) in the vicinity of the QBP area (which is being built up like crazy right now).....

I don't have a problem w/ another station west of Woodside w/i Queens, I have a problem w/ its locale..... I used to go to college in that general area (around 33rd st (7)... which QB/Skillman isn't too far from) & if that's where the new station entrance is going to be located at, all I can say is good luck attracting riders.....  And as far as adding time is concerned, IDK, I don't think there'll be much of any trains doing the trifecta (stopping at Sunnyside, Woodside, and Kew Gardens) before hitting Jamaica - esp. during the rush.....

1 hour ago, CenSin said:

Maybe Sunnyside will be a popular work destination or transfer point and that will make the issue moot, but a minute should never be underestimated.

A minute in the middle of one of the busiest interlockings in the country, no less. I honestly don't understand the logic here. If they want to facilitate LIRR access to LIC, build out HPA, and add some shuttle buses. Plopping a station in the middle of Harold seems like operational suicide -- I pity all the dispatchers that'll have to route trains around that one diesel that you know will make an excruciatingly slow stop there. 

Another solution could come from the Lower Montauk Branch. Build out commuter rail on that, run up the Montauk Cutoff, stop at the foot of LIC on the north side of Yard A, and then head around the loop into ESA/Penn. No new infrastructure needed, and no station in the middle of Harold. 

All the LIC stuff is being built by Queens Plaza, the new station will have steps going up to the Queens Blvd overpass which allows for easier access to the destination points and has a quick walk over to the Queens Plaza and Queensborough Plaza stations.  Also, if they build a deck over the yard there will be more trip generators in the area.

• 5 months later...
7 hours ago, RailRunRob said:

Definitely, a added bus ride to and from the Amazon Campus if that's the case.

Amazon would likely pay a charter outfit to run shuttles from the station if anything.

-

IIRC one of the old stated purposes of the SSY atation was to provide a(n out-of-system) transfer to the 7 train's 33 street station. Then again anyone who would want to do that could just use Woodside...

Someone mentioned this above, but I find a station in SSY unnecessary. If that info is correct, Long Island City LIRR is right down the street from where the Amazon HQ is gonna be. This can easily be resolved by reconfiguring LIC to be EMU friendly. Those southernmost tracks where they store the electrics would get full length platforms, and they'd go from there.

2 hours ago, Jordan Ayinde said:

Someone mentioned this above, but I find a station in SSY unnecessary. If that info is correct, Long Island City LIRR is right down the street from where the Amazon HQ is gonna be. This can easily be resolved by reconfiguring LIC to be EMU friendly. Those southernmost tracks where they store the electrics would get full length platforms, and they'd go from there.

That's still a 10 plus block walk to LIC LIRR technically the 21st street entrances to Court SQ are the closest Rail to the new campus.  For LIRR I'm sure, they'll have some type of van or Shuttle service.

• 2 months later...

If I'm not mistaken, the LIRR station near Amazon's would-be HQ is a terminus and does not go to Penn Station. LIRR will share the Sunnyside Station which with Amtrak's Northeast Corridor (and presumably the new Metro North New Haven Line of the East Side Access Project). The Manhattan-bound LIRR trains use tracks, owned by Amtrak, that go under the East River and 32nd and 33rd Streets to Penn Station.

Archived