Rockland County threatens to leave MTA over NJT's planned cancelled Pascack Valley Line trains

mfs NJT459

18 minutes ago, mfs NJT459 said:

IIRC doesn't the MTA help subsidize the TZX? If that were to happen, not only would Rockland rail service be reduced, but also getting to the Metro-North across the Hudson would be tedious (if Rockland doesn't boost its subsidies). 

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

15 hours ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

IIRC doesn't the MTA help subsidize the TZX? If that were to happen, not only would Rockland rail service be reduced, but also getting to the Metro-North across the Hudson would be tedious (if Rockland doesn't boost its subsidies). 

Yeah, MTA funding is what bolstered Rockland County in having (added) Saturday service & Sunday service (period) on the TZX....

On 5/17/2018 at 9:37 AM, N6 Limited said:

The Tappan-Zee still has provisions for rail service right?

I'm pretty sure it's just BRT ready.

Realistically speaking I doubt either Rockland or Orange counties will ever be dense enough to support a brand new rail line.

• 5 months later...
  • 7 months later...
On 5/17/2018 at 12:37 PM, N6 Limited said:

The Tappan-Zee still has provisions for rail service right?

Someone on reddit who claimed to be a civil engineer who worked on the new Tappan Zee bridge design said that the rail service provisions were an important priority and not an afterthought.

There's also this image from the final design that was selected for implementation.

fD2Zdna.png.

On 6/14/2019 at 4:34 PM, T to Dyre Avenue said:

I thought they were going to go on the northbound span, and that was why they made it wider than the south span. 

I think that might be for a pedestrian/bike path that's under construction.