Watered down Freedom Ticket

Union Tpke

1 hour ago, QM1to6Ave said:

That $60.00 unlimited is perfect for me. I wonder if I'll be able to buy a bunch of them during the study to save and use after the study ends. 

It's basically the cost of an express bus pass for the week ($59.50). Aren't you in Northeast Queens?

8 hours ago, QM1to6Ave said:

That $60.00 unlimited is perfect for me. I wonder if I'll be able to buy a bunch of them during the study to save and use after the study ends. 

I don't believe that'll be possible, the earliest that a LIRR weekly ticket can be purchased is the prior Wednesday. That's why the trial starts on a Wed. 

To give a test run of Atlantic Ticket, I stayed on the train from Queens Village to Atlantic Terminal instead of transferring at Jamaica to the Penn Station train. 

One issue is the lack of phone service in the tunnel under Atlantic (not saying there should be, just noting) . On the Main line to Penn there is service since you're above ground (obviously) however, Verizon has service in the East River tunnel, Sprint doesn't but roams on Verizon for voice and text, (not sure about AT&T or T-mobile). Service can help individuals that need to use mta.info and/or Subway Time to decide whether to use the 8th or 7th Ave lines before arriving at Penn.

When I arrived at Atlantic Terminal I opened up the Transit App, the next (Q) (or (B) ) train was 15 mins away 😩. Didn't really feel like going over to Pacific street for the (N) (or (D) ) , so I took the (3) which was the next train at the closest platform to the LIRR subway entrance. That (3) train strolled to Chambers st, but it wasn't too bad.   

I'll have to get used to the Via-Atlantic route and try the different subway options (Including transferring to the (A)(C) at Nostrand Ave, which will be better once they finish the platform and reopen stairs to the Nostrand Ave side) to see the time differences.  Today's trip was about 10+ mins longer than a trip via Penn Station, almost an hour as compared to 40-50 mins. So far, one could argue that trips to Atlantic should be at a lower price point anyway.

On 5/30/2018 at 1:01 PM, N6 Limited said:

To give a test run of Atlantic Ticket, I stayed on the train from Queens Village to Atlantic Terminal instead of transferring at Jamaica to the Penn Station train. 

One issue is the lack of phone service in the tunnel under Atlantic (not saying there should be, just noting) . On the Main line to Penn there is service since you're above ground (obviously) however, Verizon has service in the East River tunnel, Sprint doesn't but roams on Verizon for voice and text, (not sure about AT&T or T-mobile). Service can help individuals that need to use mta.info and/or Subway Time to decide whether to use the 8th or 7th Ave lines before arriving at Penn.

When I arrived at Atlantic Terminal I opened up the Transit App, the next (Q) (or (B) ) train was 15 mins away 😩. Didn't really feel like going over to Pacific street for the (N) (or (D) ) , so I took the (3) which was the next train at the closest platform to the LIRR subway entrance. That (3) train strolled to Chambers st, but it wasn't too bad.   

I'll have to get used to the Via-Atlantic route and try the different subway options (Including transferring to the (A)(C) at Nostrand Ave, which will be better once they finish the platform and reopen stairs to the Nostrand Ave side) to see the time differences.  Today's trip was about 10+ mins longer than a trip via Penn Station, almost an hour as compared to 40-50 mins. So far, one could argue that trips to Atlantic should be at a lower price point anyway.

My recommendation is to take the (B)(D)(N) or (Q) to 34th st those are the fastest from Atlantic. Though a 15 min wait is pretty uncommon.

On 6/3/2018 at 2:42 PM, IAlam said:

My recommendation is to take the (B)(D)(N) or (Q) to 34th st those are the fastest from Atlantic. Though a 15 min wait is pretty uncommon.

Thanks, I was going to Canal St, so my first choice was the (Q) , but since it was 15 mins away and I didn't feel like going over to the (N) I took another route. 

Atlantic Ticket seems to be under the radar so far.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived