How to make the most out of a situation.

metsfan

I have noticed some folks here really wanting to make the most out of their time while taking photos. Some of you may be struggling a bit with these endeavors. Usually i've found the difficulties stem from 2 areas. One of them is the image capture device. The other seems to be related to this and has to do with proper finishing of the results of your image capturing.

Now, obviously not everyone can afford a high powered camera with feature lists several pages long, however there are things you can do to end up with satisfactory results and not going totally broke. One is to try cameras out at various stores, or ask for sample photos from others that have it. You can make even a 100 dollar camera work well if you did your homework. One mistake people are making is trying to use cell phones to capture images that really belong in the photography device arena vs the funky mobile communication device extra feature. You will regret the results of these images as the CCD is utterly useless for anything with motion in it and have poor color handling and image processing capabilities.

http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/product.asp?product=1351 I lean towards olympus because they tend to have superior optics and are quite reliable, but you can get the general idea.

So, the other issue.... Photo processing. If the images are upside down, angled, sideways etc, it's important that you find some way to make them upright, unless you mean them to be otherwise! This will help people see what you're trying to show them without the sore neck. Also, if you get basic free image software it's good for cropping and such, but the more advanced stuff can help in color corrections, more precise rotation to get unevenly taken shots to be leveled out and cropped etc. The more practice you get the better your results will be.

If anyone else has anything to contribute please feel free. Questions are welcome as well!! :D

- A

I have one, which has worked WONDERS for me. See if the camera you would like has an Anti-Blur feature. That works great for underground shots, which is where most of the subway is located. This + a good ISO= clear as day underground shots. If not, then try to steady your camera on something that it won't fall off of except a tripod. Hope this helps.

I have one, which has worked WONDERS for me. See if the camera you would like has an Anti-Blur feature. That works great for underground shots, which is where most of the subway is located. This + 1250 ISO= clear as day underground shots. If not, then try to steady your camera on something that it won't fall off of except a tripod. Hope this helps.

ISO 1250 on a lot of point and shoots (and a good handful of DSLRs) will be fairly noisy too.

Archived