Worst MTA/NICE/BEE-LINE Bus Route?

Lil 57

57th street crosstowns are slow as hell. Took 20 mins to go from York/61st to 3rd/57th on the M31. Another time the 31 was bunched and bustime didn't know it so I had to take the subway since I didn't know how much longer it would take for the bus to show up.

The N16 in Nassau is awful any time after 10:00 AM.  The fact that the N35 used to beat it to Hempstead when the 16's route was almost 3 miles shorter every time I took it says a lot.  The Mineola-Jamaica routes like the N22 and 24 are just as bad.

My own home routes, the Q24 and Q56.

-Slow service: too much stopping, catching red lights, operators crawling along both routes. (The Q56, I can understand since a large portion of the route runs under an el.)

-Horrible scheduling: frequent bunching, missing buses, no matter the time of day.

Pretty much goes without saying, but I just can't with Manhattan crosstowns in general...

Technically speaking, I haven't embarked on NICEbus.... Under the MTA (LIB) umbrella though, I had a special abhorrence for the RxR plaza/Reckson Bldg. bound N24's....

As for Bee-line, I'd have to say the (neutered) BL-12.....

Ill sound off my personal ones here

Brooklyn: 8/12/15 - These routes are too crowded and the problem is made worse by the bunching

47/60/57/82 - These routes bunch in ways I didnt know was possible

Queens - Q44 - the buses are run to the ground and there's inexcusable bunching. The route is also too slow in flushing (though maybe thats when it was first introduced now I don't know)

Q24, Q56 - These routes for me are the B12s of Queens 

Manhattan -  M55 - this shit runs when it wants.   M103 is another route that has serious problems. One day the buses have 15 minute gaps with another bus like 20 min away then the next day you have 7 buses in lower manhttan and no service til 96th northbound. Garbage route.

Bronx - Bx21 - this route has serious issues with OTP from what I have witnessed. Same can be said for the Bx15

Staten Island - X17 - for me this route is in a league of its own with issues from traffic to length of the route. 

I hate that the n1 terminates at Hempstead Turnpike and Elmont Road because it never connects with the n6 at that intersection and it's always a no-show on the weekends. Even the navigation app can't seem to track the n1. I'm not sure why it terminates in Hewlett either when people want to travel far south to Lawrence or Far Rockaway.

(1) NICE Bus - Horrendous, say no more...

(2) The Bronx - Bx21 Always late and Crowded. Bx36 Crowded and Stuck in traffic. Bx22 very slow, sluggish, deplorable in on time performance, and its routing and scheduling as far as terminals go is the most inconsistant that I have ever seen.

(3) Manhattan - M3 it appears whenever it feels like it, usually never at its first stop on time which is sad. M100 what in the f*ck happened to the original routing? It's like the Bus is serving invisible people.

MY RATING FOR EACH ROUTE

Bx6 Local 82%

Bx6 +Select Bus 90%

Bx21 8%

Bx22 10%

Bx36 40%

Bx40/42 72%

Q44 +Select Bus 85%

M3 22%

M100 61%

From the routes I’ve taken:

Q6- for a route that runs right by the depot buses still seem to never show up and or bunch.

Q24: I know the Q24 suffered similar reliability issues like the Q56 but I haven’t taken it in a while so I don’t know how it is now

Q56- I don’t take this route as often but it was pretty bad before due to the fact that you could wait a real long time for a bus. Buses would literally be missing even though a bus is suppose to show up. I guess the MTA figures the majority of the people would take the (J) anyways. It actually doesn’t receive bad ridership for a route that follow a train. Of course ridership for the Q56 has decreased because of poor management. 

Q60- I know this route used to be worst but now has improved drastically in my opinion. The MTA did the right thing by removing several close stops but the Q60 still suffers with traffic.

Q102- This routes just sucks. I feel that this route is a clear example of a route that is heavily outdated and clearly has been so since the 63rd Street Line open. On top of that it is horrible waiting for this bus due to it being unpredictable. 

The 5th Ave/Madison Ave routes are pretty bad. 

M101- the route is just too long. This route needs to be split or cut all together south of 96th or 86th Street. (The M102 & M103) are delayed and bunch heavily like the M101.

The B20 isn’t necessarily a bad route I just don’t think it should run to Ridgewood because that portion of the route is bad. 

I also think the M101 is to long of a route, especially during late nights when it runs local. It should really be split at 125th St.

Now with bee line, the worse route by far has to be the 7. Constant lateness, crowds, and lack of a limited counterpart is just chaotic during the week.

n22s are always late as hell, the shelters suck, and the buses are always crowded. They also don't meet trains at either Hicksville or Mineola very well at all.

Honestly, maybe the railroads and the outer borough toll bridges should just be handed to some Long Island-specific transit authority. So SCT and NICE under one umbrella (though i'm not too sure whether or not we'd want to include Peconic in there)

Archived