Five Years and $19 Billion - Byford to Unveil Massive Plan to Fix Ailing Subway

Lance

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, Around the Horn said:

I totally get your point. It crumbles upon examination of the actual numbers.

You two are making separate points... Yours is one of *how many*, while his is more of *who's* (riding those separate lines).... He's not comparing the numerical extent of those affected by those separate projects.....

While (L) riders most certainly a legitimate gripe, I'm tired of hearing from the main sect of L train riders doing as much complaining as they are/have also..... It's as if they think their incessant whining is going to get the MTA to change its mind about the shutdown or something..... They have to understand that the necessary work has to get done, point blank period....

12 hours ago, ABOGbrooklyn said:

How much do you want to bet that they're only implementing CBTC on the (G) because of the recent influx of "young professionals" aka rich people on that line. If the hoods along the (G) were like they were in the 90s no one would bat an eye. It baffles me that the (MTA) would implement CBTC on the (G) before CPW, Fourth Ave or even IND Culver. Why is no one questioning the (MTA) on that decision? 

In contrast this is similar to the exaggerated HUGE deal that their making over the (L) train shut down. The (MTA) has shut down lines before like the (R) and portions of other lines, yes people complained but no one made as HUGE of a deal like they're making on the (L). Only because of the so called influx of "young professionals" living in Williamsburg is why they're making such a big deal. 

Ridiculous...

I happen to agree with you.... I don't post in this section much, but I have long questioned all this pandering that's being done to/for L riders..... I've also pointed out some people's exaggerative responses to the impending shutdown - like threatening to uproot.....

My response to that is simply, good riddance....

On 5/28/2018 at 10:30 PM, Deucey said:

When your electoral choices are akin to choosing which gangrenous arm to cut off, you usually pick the one you don’t have to learn to write with.

Hope that metaphor makes sense.

It definitely makes sense!

Screw DeBlasio and screw the NYCGOP for putting in the one person who'd do a worse job than him as their candidate.

I fully agree. I don’t like De Blasio either. I think he’s incompetent, very arrogant (never a good thing if you’re a politician) and refuses to work with officials whom he just doesn’t like (i.e., Cuomo). If Malliotakis had run a more effective campaign and came across as someone who could smartly and competently govern the city and work with other elected (and unelected) officials, then I might have voted for her. Her campaign just seemed very short on substance.

13 hours ago, ABOGbrooklyn said:

How much do you want to bet that they're only implementing CBTC on the (G) because of the recent influx of "young professionals" aka rich people on that line. If the hoods along the (G) were like they were in the 90s no one would bat an eye. It baffles me that the (MTA) would implement CBTC on the (G) before CPW, Fourth Ave or even IND Culver. Why is no one questioning the (MTA) on that decision? 

The "young professionals" you speak of don't know, or care, about CBTC. Far too many people seem to think that the MTA makes all its planning decisions based solely on politics and demographics instead of for technical reasons.

The Crosstown line is getting CBTC because of the state of its existing signaling system. As far as I know, Crosstown has never had the major signaling refresh that many other lines have - meaning that not only is the equipment outdated, the line is much less flexible than it could be. The Bedford-Nostrand interlocking, which is invaluable during disruptions, still requires a tower operator to physically be there to control the switches, meaning that the MTA is often forced to suspend service on the entire line when something goes wrong unexpectedly instead of being able to turn trains at Bedford.

You could ask the same question about Rockaway getting CBTC; that line doesn't have as much ridership as CPW, Fourth Avenue, or Culver. But there's a reason for that, too: the Rockaway line is getting CBTC likely because the simpler trackside equipment is more resilient to flooding than older signaling infrastructure, which involves moving parts. It's why the Canarsie tunnel held up better in the short-term than some of the other areas which were flooded by Sandy. (For what it's worth, Crosstown is also somewhat susceptible to flooding and that could have contributed to the CBTC decision there as well.)

It's easy to just turn around and blame "politics" - whatever that means - or "young professionals," but there are factors beyond simply ridership figures that go into determining which lines should get CBTC, and for good reason. It isn't only a matter of running more frequent service, but also making the system as a whole more up-to-date and resilient. To tie back to the original point: this has nothing to do with pleasing (G) riders, and far more to do with bringing one of the oldest and least-updated parts of the subway system up to modern standards.

2 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

You two are making separate points... Yours is one of *how many*, while his is more of *who's* (riding those separate lines).... He's not comparing the numerical extent of those affected by those separate projects.....

While (L) riders most certainly a legitimate gripe, I'm tired of hearing from the main sect of L train riders doing as much complaining as they are/have also..... It's as if they think their incessant whining is going to get the MTA to change its mind about the shutdown or something..... They have to understand that the necessary work has to get done, point blank period....

I happen to agree with you.... I don't post in this section much, but I have long questioned all this pandering that's being done to/for L riders..... I've also pointed out some people's exaggerative responses to the impending shutdown - like threatening to uproot.....

I think some people are b*tching just to complain, and others simply DON'T trust the (MTA) . What some riders wanted the (MTA) to admit was that they don't have the capacity to move all of these people, and they don't, and they've admitted it.  Furthermore, I think a lot of people are under the assumption that these people are just complaining and things will be fine.  As you think about how many riders the (L) line moves daily and the fact that the (MTA) NOR the DOT have a real plan in place to mitigate this problem, I think the City overall will be severely impacted.  The amount of congestion in general in my mind will be overwhelming.  If we take the attitude of it's not a big deal, those people will say the same and just jump in Uber or drive, causing more congestion.  I think that's a serious problem that is going to impact numerous neighborhoods all along and near 14th street in Manhattan (North and South) and also in Brooklyn and Queens (North and South). The reality is that the (MTA) won't be able to come up with something to fully mitigate the problem, BUT the City can do a better job than what they're doing.  

2 hours ago, T to Dyre Avenue said:

I fully agree. I don’t like De Blasio either. I think he’s incompetent, very arrogant (never a good thing if you’re a politician) and refuses to work with officials whom he just doesn’t like (i.e., Cuomo). If Malliotakis had run a more effective campaign and came across as someone who could smartly and competently govern the city and work with other elected (and unelected) officials, then I might have voted for her. Her campaign just seemed very short on substance.

Oh please.  Despite how HORRIBLE de Blasio is as a mayor, people are so blinded by politics that Malliotakis didn't stand a chance.  All they heard was that she was a Republican that lived on Staten Island, and that was it.  Not only has this mayor been incompetent and arrogant, but he spends like no tomorrow with nothing to show for it and no one checks him on it.  His whole stance with Cuomo has been nothing more than a tactic to pretend that he's being tough and trying to be fiscally responsible.  Such BS. Meanwhile he's had no problem taking monies from big time developers for both of his campaign runs who are exacerbating an overcrowded subway system as they build like no tomorrow and have no obligation to contribute to improving our transportation.  

I've dealt with Malliotakis on transportation issues when I was working on the X28.  Her office was the least responsive to be honest (she responded to me in a combative manner in part because of the areas that she is politically responsible for on the X28) and it certainly pissed me off, but overall she's logical on most issues that de Blasio has let run out of control.  She isn't the best politician, but she would've been better than de Blasio for sure.

58 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Oh please.  Despite how HORRIBLE de Blasio is as a mayor, people are so blinded by politics that Malliotakis didn't stand a chance.  All they heard was that she was a Republican that lived on Staten Island, and that was it.  Not only has this mayor been incompetent and arrogant, but he spends like no tomorrow with nothing to show for it and no one checks him on it.  His whole stance with Cuomo has been nothing more than a tactic to pretend that he's being tough and trying to be fiscally responsible.  Such BS. Meanwhile he's had no problem taking monies from big time developers for both of his campaign runs who are exacerbating an overcrowded subway system as they build like no tomorrow and have no obligation to contribute to improving our transportation.  

I've dealt with Malliotakis on transportation issues when I was working on the X28.  Her office was the least responsive to be honest (she responded to me in a combative manner in part because of the areas that she is politically responsible for on the X28) and it certainly pissed me off, but overall she's logical on most issues that de Blasio has let run out of control.  She isn't the best politician, but she would've been better than de Blasio for sure.

Don't think it's because she's GOP nor a SIer - I mean Rudy and Mikey both made it and had NYC a GOP-run city for 20 years.

I don't even think the Trump affect affected her - but I never bought the idea that whatever pisses people off in Washington trickles down to city councils and dogcatchers.

What derailed Malliotakis was that a) she didn't raise money and b) she had no name recognition and struggled for coverage. That's why the Fairness Doctrine never should've been dropped by the FCC - if it were around, she would've gotten coverage and possibly had a better chance. But then, had she been a higher-profile city councillor and less of a combative person handling constituent issues, maybe that would've carried her part of the way.

13 hours ago, Around the Horn said:

Uh no...

Montague: 65,000 daily customers, ten alternate subway lines

Canarsie: 225,000 daily customers, five alternate subway lines 

It's blatantly obvious that Canarsie is a larger disruption just purely based on numbers.

Exactly!

When Montague was shut down, there were MANY different options to get where you were going, including the (2)(3)(4)(5) which between them went to MANY of the same places the (R) does (or within a block or two of such).  The (L) doesn't come close to having that by a longshot, which is why the whole thing about Court Square and so forth.  

1 minute ago, Deucey said:

Don't think it's because she's GOP nor a SIer - I mean Rudy and Mikey both made it and had NYC a GOP-run city for 20 years.

I don't even think the Trump affect affected her - but I never bought the idea that whatever pisses people off in Washington trickles down to city councils and dogcatchers.

What derailed Malliotakis was that a) she didn't raise money and b) she had no name recognition and struggled for coverage. That's why the Fairness Doctrine never should've been dropped by the FCC - if it were around, she would've gotten coverage and possibly had a better chance. But then, had she been a higher-profile city councillor and less of a combative person handling constituent issues, maybe that would've carried her part of the way.

That's partially correct, but the City is a much more different place than it was when Giuliani won, and Bloomberg bought his way in, as he is not a real conservative (not even close).  The fact that she was a SIer certainly negatively impacted her more than it helped her.

3 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

That's partially correct, but the City is a much more different place than it was when Giuliani won, and Bloomberg bought his way in, as he is not a real conservative (not even close).  The fact that she was a SIer certainly negatively impacted her more than it helped her.

I still don't think her being from Jersey East was a negative - it really was she had no way to get attention beyond being "shocking", and in the other four boroughs, shouting loudly doesn't get attention when everyone is 4 degrees from a journalist, banker, city employee/appointee or someone with inside knowledge to refute the half-truth being shouted.

I haven't looked at the numbers, but I imagine that as much as Menendez is looked unfavorably in NJ, Bob Hugin has to have siphoned off a good amount of support to keep doing the ad buys. If Malliotakis ran a campaign like that - where you remember the virtue vs the attack ad, she probably would've had a better showing.

Remember, that as bad as DeBlasio is, David Dinkins polled better and still lost to Rudy.

11 minutes ago, Deucey said:

I still don't think her being from Jersey East was a negative - it really was she had no way to get attention beyond being "shocking", and in the other four boroughs, shouting loudly doesn't get attention when everyone is 4 degrees from a journalist, banker, city employee/appointee or someone with inside knowledge to refute the half-truth being shouted.

I haven't looked at the numbers, but I imagine that as much as Menendez is looked unfavorably in NJ, Bob Hugin has to have siphoned off a good amount of support to keep doing the ad buys. If Malliotakis ran a campaign like that - where you remember the virtue vs the attack ad, she probably would've had a better showing.

Remember, that as bad as DeBlasio is, David Dinkins polled better and still lost to Rudy.

Giuliani was already known as being a bulldog as a prosecutor. Crime was rampant too and the economy wasn't that great, so Giuliani had a lot going for him.  He cleaned up 42nd street considerably, tackled the mafia and got the City turned around.  Aside from the high rent complaints and gentrification problems, the City was doing well fiscally under de Blasio, which always bodes well for mayors running for re-election, so despite his incompetence, he was given a pass.

1 hour ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Giuliani was already known as being a bulldog as a prosecutor. Crime was rampant too and the economy wasn't that great, so Giuliani had a lot going for him.  He cleaned up 42nd street considerably, tackled the mafia and got the City turned around.  Aside from the high rent complaints and gentrification problems, the City was doing well fiscally under de Blasio, which always bodes well for mayors running for re-election, so despite his incompetence, he was given a pass.

Guiliani probably would have become mayor in 1989 had Yusef Hawkins not happened. Dinkins might not even have made it out of the primary against Koch let alone beat Guiliani then without that happening. 

6 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

I've dealt with Malliotakis on transportation issues when I was working on the X28.  Her office was the least responsiveto be honest (she responded to me in a combative manner in part because of the areas that she is politically responsible for on the X28) and it certainly pissed me off, but overall she's logical on most issues that de Blasio has let run out of control.  She isn't the best politician, but she would've been better than de Blasio for sure.

“Least responsive” and “combative manner” are among the last things you want in a politician who’s running for mayor. Who knows, maybe Malliotakis would have softened her combative tone had she become mayor, but we’ll never know. Just like we won’t know if she would have actually cracked down on big time developers building like there’s no tomorrow and overcrowding the subway. 

5 hours ago, Deucey said:

Bingo! It really would have helped if more New Yorkers could have seen more of her on the airwaves and could have had a clearer picture on who she was and where she stood on the issues.

Keeping this on topic, putting  modernization of the signals on the express track (pun intended!) is a huge step in the right direction. Start there. The point about evaluating certain routes and reviewing potential route changes to “reduce reliance on critical interlockings” on page 27 is also a good sign, and they really should take a long look as well.

12 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

Thank you for understanding my point.

11 hours ago, officiallyliam said:

The "young professionals" you speak of don't know, or care, about CBTC. Far too many people seem to think that the MTA makes all its planning decisions based solely on politics and demographics instead of for technical reasons.

The Crosstown line is getting CBTC because of the state of its existing signaling system. As far as I know, Crosstown has never had the major signaling refresh that many other lines have - meaning that not only is the equipment outdated, the line is much less flexible than it could be. The Bedford-Nostrand interlocking, which is invaluable during disruptions, still requires a tower operator to physically be there to control the switches, meaning that the MTA is often forced to suspend service on the entire line when something goes wrong unexpectedly instead of being able to turn trains at Bedford.

You could ask the same question about Rockaway getting CBTC; that line doesn't have as much ridership as CPW, Fourth Avenue, or Culver. But there's a reason for that, too: the Rockaway line is getting CBTC likely because the simpler trackside equipment is more resilient to flooding than older signaling infrastructure, which involves moving parts. It's why the Canarsie tunnel held up better in the short-term than some of the other areas which were flooded by Sandy. (For what it's worth, Crosstown is also somewhat susceptible to flooding and that could have contributed to the CBTC decision there as well.)

It's easy to just turn around and blame "politics" - whatever that means - or "young professionals," but there are factors beyond simply ridership figures that go into determining which lines should get CBTC, and for good reason. It isn't only a matter of running more frequent service, but also making the system as a whole more up-to-date and resilient. To tie back to the original point: this has nothing to do with pleasing (G) riders, and far more to do with bringing one of the oldest and least-updated parts of the subway system up to modern standards.

Well explained response, that makes sense. Regardless, I think the (G) should be pushed back for more important lines to be done first. Just my opinion.

13 minutes ago, ABOGbrooklyn said:

Well explained response, that makes sense. Regardless, I think the (G) should be pushed back for more important lines to be done first. Just my opinion. 

The (G) line really has far more potential than it's given credit for. Yes, it runs half-length trains, has an awkward alignment, and doesn't enter Manhattan, but its roles shifting commuters between lines and as relief for the Manhattan subways is growing and will only continue to grow. Remember that while the (L) is out, the (G) will be called upon to pick up a large amount of that slack - and some of those travel patterns are going to stick. No, CBTC won't be online before or during the Canarsie shutdown, but the additional riders to the (G) - which is woefully under-designed to handle ridership much higher than what it does today - aren't going to disappear overnight when the (L) returns. Having to deal with extra capacity - especially on a route like the (G), which is hindered at one end by a poorly-designed terminal, and at the other by interlining with the (F) - is where CBTC shines.

As for other lines, you have to take into account age of infrastructure primarily. The interlockings at 59th on CPW and Bergen on Culver have been recently refurbished; Culver also got new signaling as part of the viaduct reconstruction. Fourth Avenue would have been nice, but the biggest chokepoint on that line, which is the bridge and DeKalb junction, is getting CBTC. The biggest missing piece on this map, in my opinion, is the Jamaica line: that should get CBTC west of Myrtle. We should be able to run more trains over the bridge than the current signals let us, and those lines aren't going to get any less crowded.

1 hour ago, officiallyliam said:

No, CBTC won't be online before or during the Canarsie shutdown, but the additional riders to the (G) - which is woefully under-designed to handle ridership much higher than what it does today - aren't going to disappear overnight when the (L) returns. Having to deal with extra capacity - especially on a route like the (G), which is hindered at one end by a poorly-designed terminal, and at the other by interlining with the (F) - is where CBTC shines.

I think the (G)'s suckiness is more a result of disinvestment than it is of bad design. For better or worse, Court Square is capable of turning 15tph, which is realistically the most you'd ever need to do given the (F)s presence on Culver Local. Beyond that, almost every station on the (G) is resplendent in closed entrances, abandoned mezzanines, and almost-transfers (cough Broadway cough). Bringing those assets back is a matter of tearing down some cinder block walls and getting a broom crew to work their magic. 

I personally don't think the (G) needs CBTC. Sure, they need to update Bedford Nostrand so it doesn't lie useless most of the time, but that can be done with a simple interlocking upgrade -- no need to go through with the full CBTC, as despite their age, the (G)s signals are not in such terrible shape. Because of this, I'd absolutely prioritize CPW over Crosstown. The former has a '80s vintage signal system, yes, but is full of complex interlockings and seems set to face higher ridership as folks flee the (4) and as Inwood/Wash Heights gentrify. 145 is also a sh*tshow as soon as a pin drops, so making that area work a wee bit better definitely wouldn't hurt. 

In terms of improving the (G), I'd just address those closed entrances/mezzanines, and then make 18th Ave a functional terminal so some load can be taken off of the fumigation at Church. 

10 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

I really think Giuliani had a boost being in that Seinfeld episode. He had a good amount of Goodwill from being a prosecutor and a helluva campaign team - along with Dinkins being ineffective at governing AND promoting himself.

Mikey benefitted from being a moderate and both remembering that the City improved under Rudy while switching parties to bolster his centrism.

Malliotakis did none of that and nothing to endear herself to Dems in this city. We don't get swayed by rampant rage - she needed either competency or a better vision to get attention. Had she done that, she could've had a chance.

Remember, Hillary barely beat Rick Lazio in 2000 because he did that. That's all it takes to turn this blue city/state purple.

10 minutes ago, RR503 said:

I think the (G)'s suckiness is more a result of disinvestment than it is of bad design. For better or worse, Court Square is capable of turning 15tph, which is realistically the most you'd ever need to do given the (F)s presence on Culver Local. Beyond that, almost every station on the (G) is resplendent in closed entrances, abandoned mezzanines, and almost-transfers (cough Broadway cough). Bringing those assets back is a matter of tearing down some cinder block walls and getting a broom crew to work their magic. 

I personally don't think the (G) needs CBTC. Sure, they need to update Bedford Nostrand so it doesn't lie useless most of the time, but that can be done with a simple interlocking upgrade -- no need to go through with the full CBTC, as despite their age, the (G)s signals are not in such terrible shape. Because of this, I'd absolutely prioritize CPW over Crosstown. The former has a '80s vintage signal system, yes, but is full of complex interlockings and seems set to face higher ridership as folks flee the (4) and as Inwood/Wash Heights gentrify. 145 is also a sh*tshow as soon as a pin drops, so making that area work a wee bit better definitely wouldn't hurt. 

In terms of improving the (G), I'd just address those closed entrances/mezzanines, and then make 18th Ave a functional terminal so some load can be taken off of the fumigation at Church. 

CBTC isn't so much about efficiency as it is about lowering costs. If you can eliminate the motorman and replace him/her with conductors who just open/close doors - like MARTA, WMATA, LACMTA and other heavy rail systems do, you cut the labor budget even if you have two per trainset - wages, benefits, pensions, worker's comp, etc.

That it also makes lines more efficient is a bonus.

I just hope that all these repairs don't go beyond the overnight and weekend hours. The trains are still crowded at 9pm with people who are still coming out of work or college and they're rushing to get home because they need to get up early the next day due to work or class and it's unfair that they have to struggle to get home, when they pay the same fare as those who ride the trains during rush hour.

1 hour ago, Deucey said:

CBTC isn't so much about efficiency as it is about lowering costs. If you can eliminate the motorman and replace him/her with conductors who just open/close doors - like MARTA, WMATA, LACMTA and other heavy rail systems do, you cut the labor budget even if you have two per trainset - wages, benefits, pensions, worker's comp, etc.

That it also makes lines more efficient is a bonus.

The TWU won that battle years ago.

Heck, if the MTA can't even justify cutting down conductor staffing, which doesn't even need technology, what makes you think that this will work any better?

7 hours ago, bobtehpanda said:

The TWU won that battle years ago.

Heck, if the MTA can't even justify cutting down conductor staffing, which doesn't even need technology, what makes you think that this will work any better?

Simple, as it comes online - CBTC, you keep the current motormen and don't replace the ones lost through attrition, termination and retirement. You redefine the job duties to have more responsibilities and higher technical skill so that few actually meet the requirements (like how some positions have classifications - i.e. Staff Nurse III and IV - that requires advanced degrees and research requirements to attain) so they're never filled, and eventually withered away.

1 hour ago, Deucey said:

Simple, as it comes online - CBTC, you keep the current motormen and don't replace the ones lost through attrition, termination and retirement. You redefine the job duties to have more responsibilities and higher technical skill so that few actually meet the requirements (like how some positions have classifications - i.e. Staff Nurse III and IV - that requires advanced degrees and research requirements to attain) so they're never filled, and eventually withered away.

What more can a train operator do? They move the train and most can do the duties of a conductor.

On 5/24/2018 at 4:00 PM, Cabanamaner said:

STILL haven't happened yet because these idiots are crying about how the "integrity" of 69th street would be ruined if they added new entrances there. I'm glad Mr. Byford won't back down to them. 

I go to college right there. There is no "integrity" to that street whatsoever. Typical bland, crowded Manhattan street.

On 5/28/2018 at 7:34 PM, CDTA said:

Here's an idea Mr. Mayor. You like the millionare's tax so much? Think it's such a good idea? Implement it in the city YOU HAVE CONTROL OVER. This guy acts like he's the minority leader of the senate or something. It seems like all he does is complain about how woe is him and he can't do anything because he's just a little tiny mayor. Glad to know the mayoral office is such a weak position, can't believe he spent $13 Million on a campaign for a position that allows him to do nothing whatsoever! Grow the f**k up. Implement this plan that you think can raise so much money and use that to fund your portion of the plan instead of preemptively whining like a child that big ol mean Cuomo won't let you do anything. Run for f**king governor if you're such a genius and know how to solve all of the state's problems. I can't wait for Cuomo to come out and say he doesn't like the plan so that DeBlasio starts running around going on about how it's the best plan ever and he's doing his part and funding it but the state is bullying poor old DeBlasio and won't put up their share. Screw DeBlasio and screw the NYCGOP for putting in the one person who'd do a worse job than him as their candidate.

And yet NYers voted for him in a landslide. So in all honesty, they get what they deserve. For another 4 years :)

Archived