If you could create/change any bus line in NYC what would it be?

Lil 57

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 6/10/2018 at 2:10 PM, Future ENY OP said:

Rendition of the B34: Flatbush/Nostrand to Bedford/Lafayette.. https://drive.google.com/a/techieinnyc.net/open?id=1-lZXRpvQGaLvlGHQ26-TgarO3gvoIGF1&usp=sharing

Comments, criticisms or concerns. Feel free...

No way, no how. Don't need another route on Nostrand most of the way. Keep it on NY Ave both ways until Empire Blvd. I would let the southbound 34 run Nostrand until then.

4 minutes ago, Yankees4life said:

No way, no how. Don't need another route on Nostrand most of the way. Keep it on NY Ave both ways until Empire Blvd. I would let the southbound 34 run Nostrand until then.

New York Avenue too narrow for the southbound return. You would have to restrict parking and I don’t think it’s wise to do that in East Flatbush. I had no choice but to put it on Nostrand. 

8 minutes ago, Future ENY OP said:

New York Avenue too narrow for the southbound return. You would have to restrict parking and I don’t think it’s wise to do that in East Flatbush. I had no choice but to put it on Nostrand. 

I get that but I don't think we need to give out more routes on one street especially if we're complaining that having two buses on one street is overkill. Maybe restrict parking during rush hours maybe?

On 6/9/2018 at 9:59 AM, Eric B said:

Reconfigure the QM services to serve Fresh Pond and Myrtle directly, extend and replace something else further out (lime maybe Yellowstone), so it would have enough riders to justify it, and and something else would cover Eliot.

I don't see the point.  The pick-up portion is 15 minutes tops.  Eliot Avenue is the main service driver, but you need Myrtle too.  I would have it re-routed to make at least two stops in Maspeth though or have another route do that.

21 hours ago, Around the Horn said:

And something needs to be done with the lower Manhattan crosstowns... The M8, M21 and M22 could be so much better...

VG8 raises a good point with the Downtown Connection. Clearly there is a ridership base to be tapped into, the question is what exactly is the root cause that's preventing the MTA from adequately serving that market? Their own ineptitude? Traffic? Routes not going where the majority want to go? Poor operators?

Well for starters, their attitude is why should we run more service down there? The Downtown Connection runs roughly every 10 minutes and it's free.  That's hard to compete against.  It also makes more stops than say the M9.  From the Whole Foods in TriBeCa, the Downtown Connection serves far more of Battery Park City, including the tourist spots, which is kind of its purpose.  The M9 on the other hand runs roughly every 20 minutes and sees light ridership.  Same deal with the M20.  Battery Park City is hard to cover with the M9 and M20, especially given their headways.  As for the other crosstown routes, unless you're on the far east or far west parts of Lower Manhattan, they're not worth waiting for and in fact you're better off walking. I've walked from 6th and 8th plenty of times to St. Marks and stopped at Le Pain Quotidien for an espresso and a pastry along the way with no M8 in sight.

32 minutes ago, Yankees4life said:

I get that but I don't think we need to spread out more routes especially if we're complaining that have two buses on one street is overkill. Maybe restrict parking during rush hours maybe?

Maybe that could possibly work. However, NY Avenue is pretty hard to deal with when most of the street is narrow the whole way. What I may do to the map is MAYBE take on your suggestion and have the route go south on NY to Foster. Right on Foster, left on Nostrand and stand on Junction. 

2 hours ago, Yankees4life said:

I get that but I don't think we need to give out more routes on one street especially if we're complaining that having two buses on one street is overkill. Maybe restrict parking during rush hours maybe?

Why not just go down Brooklyn Avenue southbound (Or for that matter, it could swing over to Brooklyn for both directions to be a little bit more central in the gap between the B44 & B46)? Obviously, once it gets up to Lenox Road, it would have to use NY Avenue because the hospital blocks Brooklyn Avenue off.

B2:

extended to 77th St (R) . Runs via East 15th/16th, Ave P, 65th Street, 10th Av, Bay Ridge Pkwy and 4th Av. Route deviates to 62nd/New Utrecht Station to connect with (D) and (N) using 15th, 61st/62nd and 14th.

BM6:

Route starts at 59th St between 6th and 5th Avs. Route is as follows: Right on 5th, left on 14th, right on Broadway, right on Battery Pl to tunnel. Continue to Prospect Expwy, then left on Church. Right on CI Av, left on Oriental. Route uses Church/6th northbound.

B71:

Revived and rerouted to Lower Manhattan (got this idea from a proposal)

(bus follows normal route to Hicks St)

Left on Hicks, right on Hamilton to tunnel. Right on West St, left on Chambers then left on N. End Av. Bus then loop around and uses the same route until after the tunnel where it exits onto Hamilton. Left on Clinton, left on Hamilton, then right on Hicks until Union where it resumes its route.

5 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

I don't see the point.  The pick-up portion is 15 minutes tops. 

And that seems like forever, when you've already been traveling for an hour (e.g. the 5:00 from 34th arrives at Eliot@85th at 5:59), including staying on the LIE to get to that point, with all the traffic (and assuming that's not even included in the running time), when you've gone right past the Fresh Pond area (around the Maurice Ave. exit). So it might be more like a half hour longer, than getting off there. 

On 6/10/2018 at 7:02 PM, Around the Horn said:

This here is an interesting idea... How would you design said route to avoid the traffic though?

Got some route design map software recommendations? Preferably something that has MetroCard swipe data (and is free)?

4 hours ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

Why not just go down Brooklyn Avenue southbound (Or for that matter, it could swing over to Brooklyn for both directions to be a little bit more central in the gap between the B44 & B46)? Obviously, once it gets up to Lenox Road, it would have to use NY Avenue because the hospital blocks Brooklyn Avenue off.

I guess that could work too...

I don't know if any kind of demand exists for this kind of route... I saw it proposed by BrooklynBus some time ago and decided to think of an actual routing, just for fun.

Q45, Southern Brooklyn to Rockaway Park

Route: Sheepshead Bay (B)(Q) to Newport Av & Beach 116 Street.

Westbound:

-Same route & stops as the Q35 in Queens.

-Stops at Aviation Road, Ryan Center, and Aviator just like the Q35.

-Takes the ramp onto Belt Parkway west from Flatbush Avenue north.

-Takes Exit 8, turns left, and stops under the Brighton line's bridge, for the final stop.

Eastbound:

-Picks up at Sheepshead Bay Rd & E 15 Street, where the B36 stop used to be.

-Turns right onto Emmons Avenue.

-Turns right on E 14 Street and continues onto the Belt Parkway east onramp.

-Takes Exit 11S and makes all Q35 stops until the terminal.

Alternatively, the bus can use the service road between Exits 8 and 9 and make an extra stop at Nostrand Avenue, for a connection to the B44.

18 minutes ago, P3F said:

I don't know if any kind of demand exists for this kind of route... I saw it proposed by BrooklynBus some time ago and decided to think of an actual routing, just for fun.

Q45, Southern Brooklyn to Rockaway Park

Route: Sheepshead Bay (B)(Q) to Newport Av & Beach 116 Street.

Westbound:

-Same route & stops as the Q35 in Queens.

-Stops at Aviation Road, Ryan Center, and Aviator just like the Q35.

-Takes the ramp onto Belt Parkway west from Flatbush Avenue north.

-Takes Exit 8, turns left, and stops under the Brighton line's bridge, for the final stop.

Eastbound:

-Picks up at Sheepshead Bay Rd & E 15 Street, where the B36 stop used to be.

-Turns right onto Emmons Avenue.

-Turns right on E 14 Street and continues onto the Belt Parkway east onramp.

-Takes Exit 11S and makes all Q35 stops until the terminal.

Alternatively, the bus can use the service road between Exits 8 and 9 and make an extra stop at Nostrand Avenue, for a connection to the B44.

That MIGHT work. However, I would just let it follow the B36 and the B3 in the beginning portions of the route and then let it turn right on Flatbush and backup the Q35.

12 hours ago, Eric B said:

And that seems like forever, when you've already been traveling for an hour (e.g. the 5:00 from 34th arrives at Eliot@85th at 5:59), including staying on the LIE to get to that point, with all the traffic (and assuming that's not even included in the running time), when you've gone right past the Fresh Pond area (around the Maurice Ave. exit). So it might be more like a half hour longer, than getting off there. 

I think that's asking for a lot (having the pick-up portion be less than 15 minutes), and you'd need enough ridership from Eliot to make that happen, which I don't see.  I think the purpose is to serve Middle Village and Glendale with one bus.  Why not just use the QM15? It stops in the vicinity along Woodhaven Blvd and makes it last stops along the Middle Village border. Unless you're taking the QM34, it's pretty much making similar stops along 6th Avenue.

16 hours ago, Eric B said:

Eliot Avenue (east of 69th) is the ridership generator. You can easily see the distinction in the PM rush. Yeah, you'll make the bus faster, but where is this ridership coming from. You could add Maspeth stops, but Ridgewood and Glendale don't pull in enough loads on the buses to have their own bus. Plus, the pick-up is fast (20-25 minutes). It's slower in the PM due to its routing

That's why I said to extend it further out and perhaps take over a portion of one of the other lines in Rego Park, such as along Yellowstone. (I think it was the QM12 or something like that). So I mean a total reconfiguration of the buses , since that's what they're talking about now. For Ridgewood and Glendale to be served after Rego Park is treating these areas like they are in eastern Queens.

Ok, here's some more SI routes

S50 LTD: Limited Bus running from the Outerbridge Park & Ride to CSI collage via Drumgoole Road E/W, Richmond Ave, Marsh Ave and Victory Blvd. Ends inside CSI at the S93 LTD stop. Late Evenings and Overnight, Service runs only from the Outerbridge Park & Ride to the SI Mall. Buses run LTD North of the ETC.

Map: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1INcsLMassY50eh0-VJCiMATCgRE6mlD6&usp=sharing

Doc (Go to S50 LTD): https://docs.google.com/document/d/1rO_mP36pv_uJYzR8nPginT62XA2bAm_rIBplsA5XYr0/edit?usp=sharing

1 hour ago, Lil 57 said:

Ok, here's some more SI routes

S50 LTD: Limited Bus running from the Outerbridge Park & Ride to CSI collage via Drumgoole Road E/W, Richmond Ave, Marsh Ave and Victory Blvd. Ends inside CSI at the S93 LTD stop. Late Evenings and Overnight, Service runs only from the Outerbridge Park & Ride to the SI Mall. Buses run LTD North of the ETC.

Map: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1INcsLMassY50eh0-VJCiMATCgRE6mlD6&usp=sharing

Doc (Go to S50 LTD): https://docs.google.com/document/d/1rO_mP36pv_uJYzR8nPginT62XA2bAm_rIBplsA5XYr0/edit?usp=sharing

Why run to the mall when no one's there after 11? Planning it to be a DUI-Saver special?

10 hours ago, Deucey said:

Why run to the mall when no one's there after 11? Planning it to be a DUI-Saver special?

Along with my S109 bus, the S50 would bring overnight service to people that live behind the mall and the S50 would bring overnight service to more people on the south shore.

19 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

And how many people are supposed to be using these routes?

People along Richmond Ave right now have no night time service, the night time S109 would provide service along the whole Richmond Ave and the S50 LTD would provide prople with night time service from the ETC, and outerbridge Park and Ride (read the doc for more info on that) to more south shore destinations. The S109 LCL would run with 30 min headways, while the S50 LTD would run with 60 min headways. Read the doc for more information on these routes.

9 minutes ago, Lil 57 said:

People along Richmond Ave right now have no night time service, the night time S109 would provide service along the whole Richmond Ave and the S50 LTD would provide prople with night time service from the ETC, and outerbridge Park and Ride (read the doc for more info on that) to more south shore destinations. The S109 LCL would run with 30 min headways, while the S50 LTD would run with 60 min headways. Read the doc for more information on these routes.

Yeah, but you're not answering my question.  If no one uses the route then it's pointless.  Most people on the South Shore drive.  I'm all for giving communities service if it's needed, but it seems like none of your proposals addresses who the ridership base would be. The frequencies also seem high in general for some routes.  For example, your park-and-ride SIM51... Every 8 minutes making one stop? Too much service. Then you have S119LTD running every 40 minutes on Sundays. That's a long wait for a local bus.  I somewhat agree with your S54 route, though I would have service match AM service in the evening, otherwise it's fine as it is.  Mainly school kids using the line, but it's an important route for coverage so it should have 30 minute headways most of the day and 15 minute headways during the rush.  

You should study the demographics of who would be using the routes and when. 

3 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Yeah, but you're not answering my question.  If no one uses the route then it's pointless.  Most people on the South Shore drive.  I'm all for giving communities service if it's needed, but it seems like none of your proposals addresses who the ridership base would be. The frequencies also seem high in general for some routes.  For example, your park-and-ride SIM51... Every 8 minutes making one stop? Too much service. Then you have S119LTD running every 40 minutes on Sundays. That's a long wait for a local bus.  I somewhat agree with your S54 route, though I would have service match AM service in the evening, otherwise it's fine as it is.  Mainly school kids using the line, but it's an important route for coverage so it should have 30 minute headways most of the day and 15 minute headways during the rush.  

You should study the demographics of who would be using the routes and when. 

The S50 LTD would be used by CSI studes that live on the south shore and by people that live in the middle of the south shore. Overnight, the S50 LTD would provide service to people coming form the X1 (later to be called SIM1) and SIM50 late nights.

Archived