If you could create/change any bus line in NYC what would it be?

Lil 57

On ‎6‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 2:10 PM, Future ENY OP said:

Rendition of the B34: Flatbush/Nostrand to Bedford/Lafayette.. https://drive.google.com/a/techieinnyc.net/open?id=1-lZXRpvQGaLvlGHQ26-TgarO3gvoIGF1&usp=sharing

Comments, criticisms or concerns. Feel free...

So, the current B44 local between the Junction & Lafayette av. ? Or am I missing something......

I like the thought process, but not as a standalone route..... This is something that perhaps B44 locals could do (instead of the few trips that run from the Junction to Fulton st)....

On ‎6‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 3:03 PM, Future ENY OP said:

Rendition of B87 local service along Clarendon Road.. I believe this is one area in Brooklyn that can really use local service.

Brookldale University Hospital // Church Avenue to Newkirk (2)(5) via Clarendon with part time terminal at Canarsie Terminal Market & Canarsie Plaza (Remsen Ave).

https://drive.google.com/a/techieinnyc.net/open?id=1b5Y_sev109Q9iEbu-JSOymyzhH_lQf8K&usp=sharing.

Comments. Criticisms or concerns. Feel free.

aye. any alternative to the B8, I'm all for..... The one criticism I have for your route here, is that it's service area is a little too narrow.... I would push that a little further west to either Flatbush av or Newkirk (B)(Q)

On ‎6‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 6:59 PM, Around the Horn said:

VG8 raises a good point with the Downtown Connection. Clearly there is a ridership base to be tapped into, the question is what exactly is the root cause that's preventing the MTA from adequately serving that market? Their own ineptitude? Traffic? Routes not going where the majority want to go? Poor operators?

Highlighted,

The M9 & the M20 doesn't do much for BPC patrons.... On top of it, the former isn't much more than a coverage route to BPC patrons & the latter flat out avoids where folks are trying to get to... Dumping folks off in South Ferry isn't enough on the Lower Manhattan end (perfect example of an idea looking good on paper, but not panning out for the better in actuality) & running up 8th av on the Midtown end, doesn't do too many ppl. justice....

Downtown CoNNection already tapped the market & there isn't much of anything the MTA can do any further...

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Lil 57 said:

The S50 LTD would be used by CSI studes that live on the south shore and by people that live in the middle of the south shore. Overnight, the S50 LTD would provide service to people coming form the X1 (later to be called SIM1) and SIM50 late nights.

This is news to me, but I'm not aware of that many CSI students from the South Shore.  People coming from the X1 are not taking a local bus like that. Sorry, but you apparently don't use the express buses that much on Staten Island.  There's a stigma as it is on Staten Island for using the local buses, but coming from an express bus to a local bus. That is not something that is done with any regularity. Believe me, I lived on Staten Island for years and was a regular express bus commuter.  What does happen regularly is people being picked up via car from express buses. That you'll see a lot and people driving to the express bus. The only way that you'll get people taking the local bus is if something happened with the express bus and they don't have someone to pick them up, and that's so infrequent that a local bus route for that purpose wouldn't last.  I happen to be one of those that would transfer from the express bus to the local bus, but believe me that wasn't that frequent.  I usually would get car service or sometimes if the weather was nice, I'd just walk depending on when it was.  20 minute walk tops, and 5 minute cab ride, versus up to a 30 minute wait for the local bus or more if it didn't come.

15 minutes ago, Lil 57 said:

The S50 LTD would be used by CSI studes that live on the south shore and by people that live in the middle of the south shore.

The reality is that it wouldn't, for reasons already explained....

You & A Former New Yorker are drawing up routes in areas where they're not going to get the patronage necessary for their survival.... You're a Staten Islander & IDK for the life of me what would make you think South Shore residents would a] vouch for & b] utilize anymore local routes down there... They barely use the current ones now!!!

8 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

The M9 & the M20 doesn't do much for BPC patrons.... On top of it, the former isn't much more than a coverage route to BPC patrons & the latter flat out avoids where folks are trying to get to... Dumping folks off in South Ferry isn't enough on the Lower Manhattan end (perfect example of an idea looking good on paper, but not panning out for the better in actuality) & running up 8th av on the Midtown end, doesn't do too many ppl. justice....

Downtown CoNNection already tapped the market & there isn't much of anything the MTA can do any further...

LOL... It's true. After that stop by Whole Foods, the M9 makes basically one more stop.  I find the set up so stupid.  It comes down West Street, makes that right turn and I'm thinking that's the last stop, but it isn't.  It should terminate there.  When I'm down there, I'm in the southern part of BPC and getting to the M9 or M20 is quite a walk, which means I find myself using the Downtown Connection far more often, not because it's free, but it simply makes more stops in the residential areas of Battery Park City that the residents need.  The M20 runs too far west within Battery Park and meanders a bit too much for me.  Combine that with the frequencies and it's a no-brainer. The only bus I use down there is the M9 if it's coming, otherwise I don't bother.  

10 minutes ago, Yankees4life said:

Do anybody think there is a demand for a route from Sheepshead Bay to KP?

No.  I'm sorry, but I have to be frank. The demographics of people going to KP changed a lonnngggg time ago.  Hell I was curtailing trips to KP when I lived in Midwood and that was in the early 2000s.    People from Sheepshead Bay, Gerritsen Beach, etc. go to malls elsewhere. All of my friends in Gerritsen started going to the malls on Staten Island or New Jersey a long time ago. The only malls that I go to are in Jersey or Westchester, and even those I don't go often.

For the people that still go to KP, there's the B49, and B36 to the B3.

37 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

No.  I'm sorry, but I have to be frank. The demographics of people going to KP changed a lonnngggg time ago.  Hell I was curtailing trips to KP when I lived in Midwood and that was in the early 2000s.    People from Sheepshead Bay, Gerritsen Beach, etc. go to malls elsewhere. All of my friends in Gerritsen started going to the malls on Staten Island or New Jersey a long time ago. The only malls that I go to are in Jersey or Westchester, and even those I don't go often.

For the people that still go to KP, there's the B49, and B36 to the B3.

You are absolutely correct. KP now is a complete dump. So bad they are putting a Zara at that mall to which I find very suspect (that’s another case). KP hasn’t been attractive the late 90’s. If KP was owned by Simon than it becomes attractive again. Once the theatres shut down, no more Kings Plaza. 

People frequent to Staten Is Mall, GSP, Roosevelt Field, and the outlets. Riverhead, Deer Park, Woodbury Commons and Jersey/PA. 

52 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

This is news to me, but I'm not aware of that many CSI students from the South Shore.  People coming from the X1 are not taking a local bus like that. Sorry, but you apparently don't use the express buses that much on Staten Island.  There's a stigma as it is on Staten Island for using the local buses, but coming from an express bus to a local bus. That is not something that is done with any regularity. Believe me, I lived on Staten Island for years and was a regular express bus commuter.  What does happen regularly is people being picked up via car from express buses. That you'll see a lot and people driving to the express bus. The only way that you'll get people taking the local bus is if something happened with the express bus and they don't have someone to pick them up, and that's so infrequent that a local bus route for that purpose wouldn't last.  I happen to be one of those that would transfer from the express bus to the local bus, but believe me that wasn't that frequent.  I usually would get car service or sometimes if the weather was nice, I'd just walk depending on when it was.  20 minute walk tops, and 5 minute cab ride, versus up to a 30 minute wait for the local bus or more if it didn't come.

So should I cut night service on the S50 LTD

6 minutes ago, Future ENY OP said:

You are absolutely correct. KP now is a complete dump. So bad they are putting a Zara at that mall to which I find very suspect (that’s another case). KP hasn’t been attractive the late 90’s. If KP was owned by Simon than it becomes attractive again. Once the theatres shut down, no more Kings Plaza. 

People frequent to Staten Is Mall, GSP, Roosevelt Field, and the outlets. Riverhead, Deer Park, Woodbury Commons and Jersey/PA. 

It is.  Malls in general aren't being as frequented as they once were because of the shift to online shopping, but KP has been a dump for so long, even with the renovation done years ago.  Long before then I had started going to boutiques to shop for clothing.  Too many seedy types shopping there.  Wasn't there an incident with the security there? I can't recall if someone pulled a gun or not, but something crazy, and the store selection went down hill as well.

3 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:
9 minutes ago, Lil 57 said:

I don't see enough ridership for it during any time of the day or night. As was said, most people on the South Shore drive.  

Around how many CSI kids live on the south shore?

25 minutes ago, Lil 57 said:

Not enough for a bus route, that I'm sure of.  21% of the student body come from Brooklyn, hence the S93.  

Last year, the college had 2,865 students commuting from Brooklyn. Representing 21 percent of the student body, the majority of the college's Brooklyn students are clustered along the 4th Avenue and 86th Street commuting conduits

Source: https://www.silive.com/news/2017/04/great_demand_for_brooklyn-stat.html

There are some that commute with the X10 as well.

1 minute ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:
26 minutes ago, Lil 57 said:

Not enough for a bus route, that I'm sure of.  21% of the student body come from Brooklyn, hence the S93.  

I've heard in earlier proposals to extend the S55 or S56 to CSI

36 minutes ago, Lil 57 said:

See, this is important to know before proposing said route. It's not our job to find this out (since we're not proposing said route). You can't just expect to draw out a route and magically have people use it. I just don't see this route doing well in any capacity either, since, as already stated, the south shore is heavily car centric. The S74 is really the only route that does well. 

Also, what's this about an SIM50 that you're S50 is supposedly connecting to/from during the overnight hours?

1 hour ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

For example, your park-and-ride SIM51... Every 8 minutes making one stop? Too much service. Then you have S119LTD running every 40 minutes on Sundays. That's a long wait for a local bus. 

- How frequent should the SIM51 run?

- The S119 LTD connects with every HBLR train on weekdays and on Saturdays and every other train on Sundays. Ridership would be lower on Sundays and many people would use the S114 route to Elizabeth NJ to take the NJT train to Penn Station.

4 minutes ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

Also, what's this about an SIM50 that you're S50 is supposedly connecting to/from during the overnight hours?

SIM50: Express Bus Route From The Outerbridge Park & Ride to the George Washington Bridge Bus Terminal making one stop at the Victory Blvd/West Shore Expressway Transfer point. It will run at all times due to it being the only route from Uptown.

SIM50/51: https://drive.google.com/open?id=18CoGaGKpptrUdUV9HEPSg8GHasr3EO0n&usp=sharing

10 minutes ago, Lil 57 said:

- How frequent should the SIM51 run?

- The S119 LTD connects with every HBLR train on weekdays and on Saturdays and every other train on Sundays. Ridership would be lower on Sundays and many people would use the S114 route to Elizabeth NJ to take the NJT train to Penn Station.

You need to have a feel for how many people would use it over just driving.  A large portion of Staten Islanders work ON Staten Island. After that there's the people going to Manhattan hence the express buses because not many want to put up with parking (though some of my ex co-workers drove in since they came in very early.  The others would take the express bus).  Some work in New Jersey, but the question is how many feel it's worth it to drive to an express bus when they can just drive over the bridge and be done with it?  Jersey is a different story.  Much more parking and easier to park.

22 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

You need to have a feel for how many people would use it over just driving.  A large portion of Staten Islanders work ON Staten Island. After that there's the people going to Manhattan hence the express buses because not many want to put up with parking (though some of my ex co-workers drove in since they came in very early.  The others would take the express bus).  Some work in New Jersey, but the question is how many feel it's worth it to drive to an express bus when they can just drive over the bridge and be done with it?  Jersey is a different story.  Much more parking and easier to park.

Now if (NJT) and DOT went and created an express service from SI to NJ business parks, I could see that being used heavily - even if it cost more than EZ Pass.

Just now, Deucey said:

Now if (NJT) and DOT went and created an express service from SI to NJ business parks, I could see that being used heavily - even if it cost more than EZ Pass.

Depending on the price and the time and frequency.  Then you have the S89 to the light rail riders. Not sure if they'd ditch that commute...

26 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

The SIM50/51 don't stop in NJ, We could put bus lanes on the WSE from the park and ride to the NJ turnpike. If the bus is faster than driveing + being cheaper, since you won't have to pay all of those tolls, people would use the bus.

4 minutes ago, Lil 57 said:

The SIM50/51 don't stop in NJ, We could put bus lanes on the WSE from the park and ride to the NJ turnpike. If the bus is faster than driveing + being cheaper, since you won't have to pay all of those tolls, people would use the bus.

Then where is it stopping if not in NJ?  I thought that was the point? To attract people driving to NJ, no? If you have an EZPass it isn't that expensive, and the extra cost for a faster commute for many Staten Islanders is worth it. Lots of people buy gas there (it's cheaper) and shop there too. No taxes on clothing.

1 minute ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Then where is it stopping if not in NJ?  I thought that was the point? To attract people driving to NJ, no? If you have an EZPass it isn't that expensive, and the extra cost for a faster commute for many Staten Islanders is worth it. Lots of people buy gas there (it's cheaper) and shop there too. No taxes on clothing.

SIM50 - GWB bus terminal

SIM51 - PABT 

Archived