If you could create/change any bus line in NYC what would it be?

Lil 57

Just now, checkmatechamp13 said:

While I definitely agree there should be a route running the length of Huguenot Avenue, I don't think that's the best 

The only good Northbound terminals for a Huguenot Ave route is the Mall or the ETC while the only good southbound routes are the hospital or Tottenville HS.

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

I think the S100 is pointless, and the S108 would be better off being the main branch of the S98 (in other words, I would have the S98 run from St. George to Elizabeth, with a few trips during rush hour heading to/from Arlington). As for the S109, I don't think it's the craziest idea to have something running up Richmond Avenue heading over the Goethals, but for now I'd just have people take the S59/89 (or S119 as you call it) to Forest for the S98. (I also think it's overkill to have a separate route from Port Richmond heading to the Elizabeth NJT station)

Then what would serve Newark Airport?

1 hour ago, Lil 57 said:

Then what would serve Newark Airport?

If you really want to, you can have the S98 serve all 3 (Jersey Gardens, Elizabeth NJT, and Newark Airport)

1 hour ago, Lil 57 said:

The only good Northbound terminals for a Huguenot Ave route is the Mall or the ETC while the only good southbound routes are the hospital or Tottenville HS.

Well, on the southern end, it should at least run to Hylan Blvd for connectivity purposes. The general issue with having such a route run to the SI Mall or ETC is that it would duplicate other service along Arthur Kill Road. Now, perhaps it could be worked out in an advantageous way (to have Arthur Kill Road become a main trunk corridor, where the buses are coordinated so that east of say, Arden Avenue, you're guaranteed a consistent 5-10 minute wait tops for a bus)

8 minutes ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

If you really want to, you can have the S98 serve all 3 (Jersey Gardens, Elizabeth NJT, and Newark Airport)

Well, on the southern end, it should at least run to Hylan Blvd for connectivity purposes. The general issue with having such a route run to the SI Mall or ETC is that it would duplicate other service along Arthur Kill Road. Now, perhaps it could be worked out in an advantageous way (to have Arthur Kill Road become a main trunk corridor, where the buses are coordinated so that east of say, Arden Avenue, you're guaranteed a consistent 5-10 minute wait tops for a bus)

Makes sense. I would say 5-10 during the rush and 10-15 during the off-peak hours.

15 minutes ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

That would be time-consuming for people that just want to go from SI to Newark Airport, Making people just drive or take car service.

9 minutes ago, Lil 57 said:

That would be time-consuming for people that just want to go from SI to Newark Airport, Making people just drive or take car service.

At least it's an option. Right now they have to go all the way to Manhattan to make that trip (or at least to Jersey City/Newark via the S89-HBLR-PATH)

Just now, checkmatechamp13 said:

At least it's an option. Right now they have to go all the way to Manhattan to make that trip (or at least to Jersey City/Newark via the S89-HBLR-PATH)

I'm just saying it's best to have a separate route serve Newark airport and another route serve Elizabeth.

14 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

Incident w/ security? LMAO..... What the hell does KP security even do - other than drive a security vehicle around the perimeter of the mall every so often & bully schoolkids every so often.....

Approach them with a situation & they act like you're doing THEM some injustice.....

Yeah good question, but supposedly there was an incident.  I don't recall security always being there though.

13 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

They put a JCpenny in KP that opened last month... one of my favorite stores, I have yet to visit the KP location though. I prefer KP over Gateway mall because its easier to get to from where I live (B103 to the B46) the B82 & B83 one of those routes always have some kind of delay in at least one direction when I go to Gateway SMH, plus I prefer indoor malls over outdoor ones. Gateway is too spread out. The Shoprite there is GOAT though, if I had a car that would be my main place to buy groceries..

LMAO.... JC Penny... JC Penny was somewhat popular like almost 20 years ago. That's precisely what's wrong with that place.  

13 hours ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

Staten Island is the most insular of the five boroughs. Half of my high school graduating class went on to CSI (mostly to study nursing). Granted, that was on the North Shore (so there's probably slightly more kids looking at CUNY schools compared to say, Tottenville High School). But there's definitely a lot of students on the South Shore heading to/from CSI. How many of them would take the bus? Probably not as many as those who take the S93, but you'd definitely get riders on an extension of the S55/56 to CSI. 

The areas between Woodrow & Arthur Kill have a lot of townhouses (which is part of the reason the S74 manages to get decent ridership on the South Shore). But as I mentioned before, I think the S55/56 should be restructured within the South Shore in addition to being extended outside of it.

I'd be curious to see the percentages of people from the South Shore that attend CSI. I wouldn't think it would be that high.  Folks from the South Shore especially usually don't venture that often to the North Shore.  That's like people from Woodlawn going to the South Bronx with regularity.  Doesn't make sense. Now most of the island isn't that far by car but still.  Anyone that I know that lives that deep on Staten Island doesn't venture to the North Shore with any regularity.  If there's that many CSI students from the South Shore willing to take the bus, I would extend the S55 or S56 and call it a day.

:excl: Thread title should be changed to "If Lil57 could create/change any bus line in Staten Island what would it be?"... :lol:

23 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Yeah good question, but supposedly there was an incident.  I don't recall security always being there though.

Feeds into my point.... Not only do they not do shit, they're not there more than half the time either.

Only incident I can recall off top that happened at Kings Plaza relatively recently, was that flash mob of teenagers that ended up trashing the place.... As a result, mall mgmt. ended up placing some sort of ban on teenagers unaccompanied by an adult...

LMAO.... JC Penny... JC Penny was somewhat popular like almost 20 years ago. That's precisely what's wrong with that place.  

heh.... Much like everything else nowadays, JC Penney's done made a comeback.... Supposedly Fortunoff reopened, or planned on reopening; whatever the story with that was.....

I'd be curious to see the percentages of people from the South Shore that attend CSI. I wouldn't think it would be that high.  Folks from the South Shore especially usually don't venture that often to the North Shore.  That's like people from Woodlawn going to the South Bronx with regularity.  Doesn't make sense. Now most of the island isn't that far by car but still.  Anyone that I know that lives that deep on Staten Island doesn't venture to the North Shore with any regularity.  If there's that many CSI students from the South Shore willing to take the bus, I would extend the S55 or S56 and call it a day.

Same (here)..... FWIW, One of my exes lived not too far from where the x17/x19 terminates out there, and she hated even venturing over to the mall (SI mall), let alone CSI & points north & east....

I don't know what the hell it is about SoHo that's so attractive to SI-ers as a shopping destination..... The vibe in that area is so... corny...

I just cant.

1 minute ago, B35 via Church said:

heh.... Much like everything else nowadays, JC Penney's done made a comeback.... Supposedly Fortunoff reopened, or planned on reopening; whatever the story with that was.....

LMAO... I can't imagine what they sell that would have people coming in there. I don't associate the place with anything but old people.  Kind of like Raymour & Flanigan.

1 hour ago, B35 via Church said:

I don't know what the hell it is about SoHo that's so attractive to SI-ers as a shopping destination..... The vibe in that area is so... corny...

I just cant.

High end shopping area in Soho especially on Spring, Mercer, Prince, E. Houston, W.Broadway, Wooster and other side streets along Broadway to Canal. Smdh. 

1 hour ago, Future ENY OP said:

High end shopping area in Soho especially on Spring, Mercer, Prince, E. Houston, W.Broadway, Wooster and other side streets along Broadway to Canal. Smdh. 

When I lived on Staten Island, I'd go to SoHo, but more so for the restaurants on West Broadway.  My old office sometimes had company parties down there too.  Now though, I try to avoid going down there, but there are a few stores that I have to go to because they don't have locations elsewhere.  The crowds are insane, so I try to go when it's cold out.  Fewer people.

1 hour ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

When I lived on Staten Island, I'd go to SoHo, but more so for the restaurants on West Broadway.  My old office sometimes had company parties down there too.  Now though, I try to avoid going down there, but there are a few stores that I have to go to because they don't have locations elsewhere.  The crowds are insane, so I try to go when it's cold out.  Fewer people.

Agreed. Soho is less frequent during winter months. 

7 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

:excl: Thread title should be changed to "If Lil57 could create/change any bus line in Staten Island what would it be?"...

I'm just suggesting routes 🤣

10 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Folks from the South Shore especially usually don't venture that often to the North Shore.  That's like people from Woodlawn going to the South Bronx with regularity.  Doesn't make sense. Now most of the island isn't that far by car but still.  Anyone that I know that lives that deep on Staten Island doesn't venture to the North Shore with any regularity.

Three years here in St George and IDFW south of the SIE unless I'm going to the mall or the Stop N Shop.

Last time I was near Hylan or New Dorp Pathmark and the movie theater by the New Dorp post office were still open.

52 minutes ago, Deucey said:

Three years here in St George and IDFW south of the SIE unless I'm going to the mall or the Stop N Shop.

Last time I was near Hylan or New Dorp Pathmark and the movie theater by the New Dorp post office were still open.

LOL...It would be quite the trek for you too....

17 hours ago, Yankees4life said:

How about ressurecting the B23 and extending the route to Nostrand and Beverley Road for the 2/5 train connection?

Which market are you introducing this route? Problem is already everyone is used to the B103 providing cortelyou road service. Unless your tapping into that same market and having the 23 end at New Utrecht & 62nd. Than no dice. 

However, If you spice up the route and work it through Sunset Park like Industry City or NYU-Maimonides and end it at other major through-fare than it may work. 

We need to tap into major areas throughout the city so that bus service is available. The Brooklyn street grid is a total mess. 

46 minutes ago, Future ENY OP said:

Which market are you introducing this route? Problem is already everyone is used to the B103 providing cortelyou road service. Unless your tapping into that same market and having the 23 end at New Utrecht & 62nd. Than no dice. 

However, If you spice up the route and work it through Sunset Park like Industry City or NYU-Maimonides and end it at other major through-fare than it may work. 

We need to tap into major areas throughout the city so that bus service is available. The Brooklyn street grid is a total mess. 

I don't favor these little rinky-dink routes.  If the route has to steal riders from another line then it doesn't need to run.

1 minute ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

I don't favor these little rinky-dink routes.  If the route has to steal riders from another line then it doesn't need to run.

You have a valid point. As I partly eluded earlier that the Brooklyn street grid is a total mess. The reason why the 23 was eliminated in the first place was low ridership and the 103 does a good job with converting those riders.  

However, I’m not saying that my suggestion would work but it’s the rinky-dink routes that got some of these cuts started in the first place. 

After hearing all of you guy's fee back I made some edits.

Doc: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1rO_mP36pv_uJYzR8nPginT62XA2bAm_rIBplsA5XYr0/edit?usp=sharing

Main Edits:

- Eliminated Overnight and Sunday service on the S50 LTD

- Made a branch on the SIR to serve the Outerbridge Bus Station

- The S100 LTD, 108 LTD and the S109 LTD goes straight to the airport and doesn't serve the Jersey Gardens Mall

- The S115 is created as a branch of the S114 and serves the Jersey Gardens Mall. Mall bound service starts 2 hours before opening time and ends at closing time and SI bound service starts 1 hour before opening the and ends 1 hour after closing time of the Mall.

- The South Shore would run in a grid-type format with the SI Mall being a hub for many of these routes.

- Other edits are in the doc.

9 minutes ago, Lil 57 said:

After hearing all of you guy's fee back I made some edits.

Doc: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1rO_mP36pv_uJYzR8nPginT62XA2bAm_rIBplsA5XYr0/edit?usp=sharing

Main Edits:

- Eliminated Overnight and Sunday service on the S50 LTD

- Made a branch on the SIR to serve the Outerbridge Bus Station

- The S100 LTD, 108 LTD and the S109 LTD goes straight to the airport and doesn't serve the Jersey Gardens Mall

- The S115 is created as a branch of the S114 and serves the Jersey Gardens Mall. Mall bound service starts 2 hours before opening time and ends at closing time and SI bound service starts 1 hour before opening the and ends 1 hour after closing time of the Mall.

- The South Shore would run in a grid-type format with the SI Mall being a hub for many of these routes.

- Other edits are in the doc.

Going forward you need to identify who is going to be using these routes.  I don't know why so many buses are running to the SI Mall.  No one is there overnight and even during the day, I don't see a need for this many routes given what already exists.

9 minutes ago, Future ENY OP said:

You have a valid point. As I partly eluded earlier that the Brooklyn street grid is a total mess. The reason why the 23 was eliminated in the first place was low ridership and the 103 does a good job with converting those riders.  

However, I’m not saying that my suggestion would work but it’s the rinky-dink routes that got some of these cuts started in the first place. 

As I said earlier, if the route can't run on a frequency of 20 minutes, then there's no point.  That should be the bare minimum for local bus service most of the day with this new bus plan.  At 30 minutes, if a bus is detoured or delayed during the day, forget it. Your wait just turned into an hour.  Overnight, every 30 minutes, otherwise don't bother running it. If they can't splurge of four buses an hour then there's a problem.  The savings that they're getting they need to re-invest in providing more service that is relevant with what is realistic in the 21st century.  

12 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Going forward you need to identify who is going to be using these routes.  I don't know why so many buses are running to the SI Mall.  No one is there overnight and even during the day, I don't see a need for this many routes given what already exists.

As said before, the SI Mall and the ETC are the only 2 feasible terminals for the south shore routes. The SI Mall is a major hub for many SI bus routes. You could terminate them at the ETC, but it's only a short distance from the ETC to the SI Mall and people using these routes would have a one seat ride to the mall, which could attract more ridership. There are tons of students on the south shore that can't drive but wanna go to the SI Mall, this would make it much easier for them to get to the mall themsey without having to walk long distances to a bus stop and than transfer at the ETC or at Hylan/Richmond.

27 minutes ago, Lil 57 said:

As said before, the SI Mall and the ETC are the only 2 feasible terminals for the south shore routes. The SI Mall is a major hub for many SI bus routes. You could terminate them at the ETC, but it's only a short distance from the ETC to the SI Mall and people using these routes would have a one seat ride to the mall, which could attract more ridership. There are tons of students on the south shore that can't drive but wanna go to the SI Mall, this would make it much easier for them to get to the mall themsey without having to walk long distances to a bus stop and than transfer at the ETC or at Hylan/Richmond.

Tons of students who ride when exactly? When they aren't riding that means the buses would carry air...

Archived