If you could create/change any bus line in NYC what would it be?

Lil 57

My old plans, to improve access to this "cipherzone" right smack in the middle of the city:

Straighten Q39, so that it does further along Rust. St. (and either Review, or Border/LIE service road), instead of 48th, and perhaps move the Q67 to pick up those inbetween areas. The 39 would be more a through route, and the 67 more local. Instead, they've just added more kinks to it, as street directions changed. It had already been an incredibly long winding trip.

Eliot through route; perhaps Q58 SBS, if that's under consideration. (Thought I heard a rumor of it here or somewhere, but forget). Would just continue across LIE instead of Corona (If SBS, then the regular local route would simply continue that way). Also, make sure to bring terminus closer to the big Northern/Main intersection where all the other transfers are (might need whatever new terminal they ever build there).

Extend Q55 to Jamaica-VanWyck

Perhaps extend Q23 to Myrtle.

Extend Q18 to at least Metropolitan. Or maybe swap below Calamus with Q47.

Reconfigure the QM services to serve Fresh Pond and Myrtle directly, extend and replace something else further out (lime maybe Yellowstone), so it would have enough riders to justify it, and and something else would cover Eliot.

Put Ridgewood Terminal space to better use, so that all routes could use the actual terminal (you still have a couple of them that don't enter the terminal and are across streets, while much of the space is still used for layovers. The dropoff spot was never used as designated).

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

I mean, having buses on Flatbush, Bedford, and Rogers/Nostrand, but then nothing until Utica? Sounds a bit imbalanced to me.

Utica Ave is no where near The B44 and B49 runs. The only buses that links near Utica or on Utica are the following B46 "Runs", B82"Links, B6"Links", B8"Links, B43or48"Links , B103"Links", B17"Links, B12"Links, B65"Links", B15"Links", and B25"Links". So taking the B44 local out of NY Ave and placing it with The SBS44 on Rogers wouldn't effect Utica avenue at all. 

14 hours ago, Yankees4life said:

Split the B47, and the B82

Bring back the B51, B71 and the B75

Extend the B84 to Seaview to help out the B17

I’ve been saying this with the B84 for a while. Extend to Canarsie or the viable option let it solely be a East New York/Spring Creek line with extension to Broadway-East NY/Alabama Avenue. 

YES: B47 definitely needs a split and a southern portion returned to Flatbush. 

Right now CB6 is mainly concerned with bring back the B71 more or less the B75. However, Red hook could use the B75 and B77 back. I liked it when both ended on 10th Street and 5th Avenue. When 1 was going direct downtown and the other via Red hook to Downtown and Park slope. All this B57, B61 is overkill (IMO) 

11 hours ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

I mean, having buses on Flatbush, Bedford, and Rogers/Nostrand, but then nothing until Utica? Sounds a bit imbalanced to me.

This part. Agreed. 

If I lived on NY Avenue and was looking for bus service for KCC // and points further north in East Flatbush I would need that B44 local. However, I’d put a new route on New York Avenue and move the B44 local to Rogers with the B49. 

Other areas in East Flatbush could use bus service: Clarendon Road, Linden Boulevard for sure that pop up in my head. 

On 6/7/2018 at 1:23 AM, DueceDrives said:

NY Ave is a waste..... the only reason I believe the local run through there its because of the B49 running on Rogers. If the 49 was running on Bedford, Im sure the 44 local would have been running on Rogers a long with the 44+

Considering the service areas of the B44 & what's aimed to be accomplished with SBS, the street grid supports running buses up Rogers, over up NY av.... That's all there is to it.

Running B49's on Bedford in both directions & having the NB B44 SBS' and B44 locals on Rogers is ridiculously wasteful.... The B44 SBS works on Rogers over putting it on NY av, simply because NY av. itself ends at Fulton.... I'm not seeing the problem with NY av having bus service....

12 hours ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

That's true, but that's not even the reason I vehemently disagree with running B44 locals on Rogers....

1 hour ago, DueceDrives said:

Utica Ave is no where near The B44 and B49 runs. The only buses that links near Utica or on Utica are the following B46 "Runs", B82"Links, B6"Links", B8"Links, B43or48"Links , B103"Links", B17"Links, B12"Links, B65"Links", B15"Links", and B25"Links". So taking the B44 local out of NY Ave and placing it with The SBS44 on Rogers wouldn't effect Utica avenue at all. 

What he's saying is, moving the B44 local further west would make it even further away from Utica..... He's not talking about affecting Utica itself, he's bringing up the increase in the gap in service (between the B44 & the B46) that would be unnecessarily created...

46 minutes ago, Future ENY OP said:

This part. Agreed. 

If I lived on NY Avenue and was looking for bus service for KCC // and points further north in East Flatbush I would need that B44 local. However, I’d put a new route on New York Avenue and move the B44 local to Rogers with the B49. 

Other areas in East Flatbush could use bus service: Clarendon Road, Linden Boulevard for sure that pop up in my head. 

I can agree with Clarendon, can't agree with Linden...

42 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

Considering the service areas of the B44 & what's aimed to be accomplished with SBS, the street grid supports running buses up Rogers, over up NY av.... That's all there is to it.

Running B49's on Bedford in both directions & having the B44 SBS' and B44 locals all on Rogers is ridiculously wasteful.... I'm not seeing the problem w/ NY av having bus service....

That's true, but that's not even the reason I vehemently disagree with running B44 locals on Rogers....

What he's saying is, moving the B44 local further west would make it even further away from Utica..... He's not talking about affecting Utica itself, he's bringing up the increase in the gap in service (between the B44 & the B46) that would be unnecessarily created...

I can agree with Clarendon, can't agree with Linden...

It  delays time when that local runs on NY Ave, Especially making that left turn on Fulton Street which sometimes especially during  rush hour you barely cant make that turn unless you take the light and block Fulton intersection until its clear to complete the turn. 

I don't see why it would be a big deal to be further away from Utica avenue, when the 44 has transfer points that would lead you to reach either to Utica Ave side. I have seen passengers at the local bus stop  waving trying to make an SBS bus stop just because they have been waiting so long waiting for the local. If you look use the MTA Bus time app, you would see sometimes 3 or 4 buses on  NY Ave traveling together where dispatch has no choice to turn some of the buses short just to make up recovery time. 

If the local were to run the same path with the sbs+ due to the bus lane usages, you would see less delays on that local 44.  

2 minutes ago, DueceDrives said:

It  delays time when that local runs on NY Ave, Especially making that left turn on Fulton Street which sometimes especially during  rush hour you barely cant make that turn unless you take the light and block Fulton intersection until its clear to complete the turn. 

I don't see why it would be a big deal to be further away from Utica avenue, when the 44 has transfer points that would lead you to reach either to Utica Ave side. I have seen passengers at the local bus stop with  waving trying to make an SBS bus stop just because they have been waiting so long waiting for the local. If you look use the MTA Bus time app, you would see sometimes 3 or 4 buses on  NY Ave traveling together where dispatch has no choice to turn some of the buses short just to make up recovery time. 

If the local were to run the same path with the sbs+ due to the bus lane usages, you would see less delays on that local 44.  

...and less people on them too.

I'm not disagreeing with your time argument, I'm disagreeing with putting those locals on Rogers from a pure usefulness standpoint.....

The big deal, so to speak, is that you'd have no other bus service of any sort running between Rogers & Utica, other than the SB B44 on Nostrand.... It's an issue of overall coverage.... Moving (NB) B44 locals to Rogers, creating a bigger hole in the network around here, isn't singularly about Utica av....

14 hours ago, Future ENY OP said:

This part. Agreed. 

13 hours ago, DueceDrives said:

I don't see why it would be a big deal to be further away from Utica avenue, when the 44 has transfer points that would lead you to reach either to Utica Ave side. I have seen passengers at the local bus stop  waving trying to make an SBS bus stop just because they have been waiting so long waiting for the local. If you look use the MTA Bus time app, you would see sometimes 3 or 4 buses on  NY Ave traveling together where dispatch has no choice to turn some of the buses short just to make up recovery time. 

7 hours ago, Yankees4life said:

I don't like the idea of moving the B44 to Roger's. Unless there's another route created (B34 from Fulton to Junction?) then it makes no sense to get the B44 completely off of NY Ave

One idea that I came up with is having the B49 run up NY Avenue/Brooklyn Avenue (while both the B44 local/SBS run up Rogers/Nostrand). The only question is, where to terminate on the northern end (At SUNY Downstate? At Empire? At Fulton? Maybe swing east along Clarkson?)

11 hours ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

One idea that I came up with is having the B49 run up NY Avenue/Brooklyn Avenue (while both the B44 local/SBS run up Rogers/Nostrand). The only question is, where to terminate on the northern end (At SUNY Downstate? At Empire? At Fulton? Maybe swing east along Clarkson?)

Here's the bad part about this. The way the Brooklyn street grid is set up there's really no way to run buses on that portion of Brooklyn Avenue into Downstate Medical Center unlike the B43 which the return route from Greenpoint is ran on Brooklyn Avenue.  Also, I disagree with having the B49 running down New York Avenue to just have the B44 local switch over to Rogers Ave. 

If we were to institute a new route perhaps (B34) to run via New York Avenue from Junction to Bedford/Lafayette station with short turns at Clarkson Avenue- Downstate Med & KCC  I would want this route to work in conjunction with the B44 to deal with delays on the local.

**However the B44, B49 via rogers in my opinion is really overkill**

16 hours ago, Yankees4life said:

I don't like the idea of moving the B44 to Roger's. Unless there's another route created (B34 from Fulton to Junction?) then it makes no sense to get the B44 completely off of NY Ave

Neither do I; nor otherwise anything else that entails adding more BPH along Rogers; it's enough that the B44 SBS has to utilize it....

AFAIC, the current B44 local from Sheepshead to Flushing av suffices... It's one thing to have the current B44 local doing a few short turn trips b/w Fulton & the Junction, it is quite another to have a whole new route injected into the system doing that same thing all day.... Such a route would likely get coverage headways, or service every 20 mins. max - which is the last thing that should happen around here, as some sort of compromise to running the B44 locals on Rogers....

Rendition of B87 local service along Clarendon Road.. I believe this is one area in Brooklyn that can really use local service.

Brookldale University Hospital // Church Avenue to Newkirk (2)(5) via Clarendon with part time terminal at Canarsie Terminal Market & Canarsie Plaza (Remsen Ave).

https://drive.google.com/a/techieinnyc.net/open?id=1b5Y_sev109Q9iEbu-JSOymyzhH_lQf8K&usp=sharing.

Comments. Criticisms or concerns. Feel free.

4 hours ago, Future ENY OP said:

Rendition of the B34: Flatbush/Nostrand to Bedford/Lafayette.. https://drive.google.com/a/techieinnyc.net/open?id=1-lZXRpvQGaLvlGHQ26-TgarO3gvoIGF1&usp=sharing

Comments, criticisms or concerns. Feel free...

3 hours ago, Future ENY OP said:

Rendition of B87 local service along Clarendon Road.. I believe this is one area in Brooklyn that can really use local service.

Brookldale University Hospital // Church Avenue to Newkirk (2)(5) via Clarendon with part time terminal at Canarsie Terminal Market & Canarsie Plaza (Remsen Ave).

https://drive.google.com/a/techieinnyc.net/open?id=1b5Y_sev109Q9iEbu-JSOymyzhH_lQf8K&usp=sharing.

Comments. Criticisms or concerns. Feel free.

Prompting for a password....

Set your maps to public view or something, fam....

I'd do that B71+ idea that people in Park Slope are proposing... Would be a nice alternative to the subway to get from Park Slope to Lower Manhattan and provide better connectivity with Red Hook.

And something needs to be done with the lower Manhattan crosstowns... The M8, M21 and M22 could be so much better...

VG8 raises a good point with the Downtown Connection. Clearly there is a ridership base to be tapped into, the question is what exactly is the root cause that's preventing the MTA from adequately serving that market? Their own ineptitude? Traffic? Routes not going where the majority want to go? Poor operators?

On June 2, 2018 at 5:25 PM, Deucey said:

Even in places where there isn't "much" gentrification, the bus networks are being realigned and reimagined in response to the ridership fall.

And because more people are looking to walkability and transit access as important factors in where they move to, it's a missed opportunity for transit to stick with long haul routes for "efficiency" versus neighborhood shuttling for ridership.

You're not gonna see masses ride from BPC to 14th St on a bus when they can take (1)(A)(C)(E)(R)(W). But you might see them hop on a bus from WTC to South Street Seaport for lunch meetings versus Uber if it could get them there in 10 minutes and you knew it'd actually arrive.

This here is an interesting idea... How would you design said route to avoid the traffic though?

34 minutes ago, Around the Horn said:

I'd do that B71+ idea that people in Park Slope are proposing... Would be a nice alternative to the subway to get from Park Slope to Lower Manhattan and provide better connectivity with Red Hook.

And something needs to be done with the lower Manhattan crosstowns... The M8, M21 and M22 could be so much better...

VG8 raises a good point with the Downtown Connection. Clearly there is a ridership base to be tapped into, the question is what exactly is the root cause that's preventing the MTA from adequately serving that market? Their own ineptitude? Traffic? Routes not going where the majority want to go? Poor operators?

How would the B71 get to lower Manhattan though? Don't they close the onramps for Hamilton Av or restrict them?

I realize that Brooklyn Heights doesn't here an bus route (Unless if you count the B25 which is outside of Brooklyn Heights) So I made one 

B33 Front St/Hudson Av to Grand Army Plaza https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1fGK-cPTSouqj2pfAVWmUxTT3m2fD4i0n&usp=sharing

I also made my own version of the Claredon Rd route. It goes to Brownsville (B35 terminal) and up Cortelyou Rd to provide subway link (Q) and to serve Ditmas Park. It ends at Coney Island Av https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=176QsF0wiNz-TLSYZFKzh8WvgW4sUT7C7&usp=sharing

3 minutes ago, A Former New Yorker said:

I realize that Brooklyn Heights doesn't here an bus route (Unless if you count the B25 which is outside of Brooklyn Heights) So I made one 

B33 Front St/Hudson Av to Grand Army Plaza https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1fGK-cPTSouqj2pfAVWmUxTT3m2fD4i0n&usp=sharing

I also made my own version of the Claredon Rd route. It goes to Brownsville (B35 terminal) and up Cortelyou Rd to provide subway link (Q) and to serve Ditmas Park. It ends at Coney Island Av https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=176QsF0wiNz-TLSYZFKzh8WvgW4sUT7C7&usp=sharing

Seems unnecessary quite frankly. The B25 does the job. I'm in DUMBO and Brooklyn Heights for gatherings and meetings. The other buses do just fine. You really can walk from much of Brooklyn Heights over to DUMBO. I had a meeting in DUMBO. I got the (A) got off and just walked to my meeting.

20 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Seems unnecessary quite frankly. The B25 does the job. I'm in DUMBO and Brooklyn Heights for gatherings and meetings. The other buses do just fine. You really can walk from much of Brooklyn Heights over to DUMBO. I had a meeting in DUMBO. I got the (A) got off and just walked to my meeting.

Thanks for feedback

10 minutes ago, A Former New Yorker said:

Thanks for feedback

I looked at your map more carefully and I would question who the ridership base would be? It isn't a question of the routing per se, because it runs down streets with commercial businesses, but rather than the area isn't that big that one can't walk it. I spend a lot of time in Brooklyn Heights. You can walk very easily from the Borough Hall subway station right down to the waterfront. If anything, your bus would compete with the B25 which the community fought to keep. That seems to be the issue with this route. It's too close to other routes to see any usage to actually keep it. If there was really a need, you could simply extend one of the buses that end further east by Carmen Plaza.

6 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

I looked at your map more carefully and I would question who the ridership base would be? It isn't a question of the routing per se, because it runs down streets with commercial businesses, but rather than the area isn't that big that one can't walk it. I spend a lot of time in Brooklyn Heights. You can walk very easily from the Borough Hall subway station right down to the waterfront. If anything, your bus would compete with the B25 which the community fought to keep. That seems to be the issue with this route. It's too close to other routes to see any usage to actually keep it. If there was really a need, you could simply extend one of the buses that end further east by Carmen Plaza.

The route served Propsect Hts and Grand Army Plaza and Cobble Hill some people could use the route to get the (G) or down to Grand Army Plaza. I also tryed to separate it as far from the B25 as possible as it was serve inside the Brooklyn Heights neighborhood. Hicks and Henry Sts were the only streets that go up and down.

5 minutes ago, A Former New Yorker said:

The route served Propsect Hts and Grand Army Plaza and Cobble Hill some people could use the route to get the (G) or down to Grand Army Plaza. I also tryed to separate it as far from the B25 as possible as it was serve inside the Brooklyn Heights neighborhood 

It's tough to do. It's not a bad idea at all. I just think the area is generally pedestrian friendly. The other issue I foresee is congestion, particularly heading North-South. Because of all of the commercial businesses, you have a lot of vehicles out and about. Some parts of Henry for example are a mix of commercial and residential, but the real challenge is how narrow those streets are. It would be tough for a bus to squeeze in there.  Carmen Plaza is wide enough and close enough to give you bus service that can run a bit better speed wise.

Archived