Plans move forward for SAS Phase II

Lawrence St

6 hours ago, LGA Link N train said:

How will you apply ADA standards if that’s going to be the case?

Same way you'd do it on the IRT lines - side platforms are 1-1.5 stories below ground, so you just put two elevators from the surface to pre-fare control.

Same with old BMT on Broadway and Essex (excluding Chambers). 

IIRC, it's the IND outside the local 8th Av and 6th Av stations that are two-stories or more in Manhattan, at least.

10 hours ago, Deucey said:

Same way you'd do it on the IRT lines - side platforms are 1-1.5 stories below ground, so you just put two elevators from the surface to pre-fare control.

Same with old BMT on Broadway and Essex (excluding Chambers). 

IIRC, it's the IND outside the local 8th Av and 6th Av stations that are two-stories or more in Manhattan, at least.

Why not make turnstyle-operated elevators so it brings them directly onto the platform? What I mean is have a reader on the call button and the person swipes there and the elevator unlocks and brings them down there.

26 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

No no I meant have a reader on the call button so once someone swipes their metrocard it unlocks the elevator.

I think London has few stations like that... the elevator requires you to place an oyster card or credit card on a pad by the call button, and then the elevator goes straight down to the platforms. I think Baker Street on the Circle line has something like that, it is mentioned in a video.

Edit: found video, they talk about it from 0:49 to 1:14.

27 minutes ago, R68OnBroadway said:

I think London has few stations like that... the elevator requires you to place an oyster card or credit card on a pad by the call button, and then the elevator goes straight down to the platforms. I think Baker Street on the Circle line has something like that, it is mentioned in a video.

Edit: found video, they talk about it from 0:49 to 1:14.

That's what I mean. Saves a lot of money by bypassing the mezzanine and going straight into the platform.

17 hours ago, HenryB said:

tap_ada_gate.jpg

Those are good but I don't like their looks. It looks like something that you can easily get through but I don't want to underestimate the level of security that these turnstiles would have.

Personally, I think NYC should have a glass Barrier instead of whatever those thing's are in between.

On 6/23/2018 at 1:21 PM, Deucey said:

How do you fit wheelchairs through turnstiles?

Look at the ones SEPTA (Philly) has on the Market-Frankford and Broad Street Lines as well as at Regional Rail stations.  (MTA) can install similar turnstiles to those. 

7 hours ago, LGA Link N train said:

Those are good but I don't like their looks. It looks like something that you can easily get through but I don't want to underestimate the level of security that these turnstiles would have.

Personally, I think NYC should have a glass Barrier instead of whatever those thing's are in between.

Glass shatters. Those are generally some kind of metal or plastic which actually hurts.

Archived