Jump to content


Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
Sign in to follow this  
Via Garibaldi 8

Fed up Commuters Assaulting MTA Workers More Than Ever

Recommended Posts

METRO

Subway hell is turning violent for MTA workers

By Danielle Furfaro

June 4, 2018 | 10:13pm

subway-worker-2.jpg?quality=90&strip=all

Stefan Jeremiah

More MTA employees than ever are being assaulted by customers, and workers say it’s because riders are fed up with delays.

“It’s happening more because there are so many delays and the riders take it out on who’s in front of them,” said Crystal Young, chair of the Transit Workers Union’s conductor and tower division.

There have been at least six assaults on subway workers since the last week of May.

Conductor Anthony Williams was punched in the face at the Times Square station on Friday just as the train was about to pull away. His assailant ran and was not caught.

Another conductor, Tribowan Sukhdeo, was working on an L train when he was punched in the face at Atlantic Avenue. Two conductors were punched on Thursday — one in Queens and one in the Bronx. The day before, a station cleaner was so badly verbally assaulted by a passenger that she had to be taken to the hospital for emotional trauma, sources said.

And on Sunday, a rider spit in train operator E. Strickland’s face on a 4 train traveling through Manhattan after asking the worker for directions.

Strickland said he tried to explain to the irate passengers that they had to transfer to go local, but they instead called him a “stupid n—-r” and then assaulted him.

MTA workers say the assaults are becoming an epidemic as riders are angrier than ever about delays. They also say that cops and prosecutors are not taking the assaults seriously enough.

“We need more police officers in the subway,” Transport Workers Union Local 100 President Tony Utano said. “That will deter attacks and lead to more arrests. We also need prosecutors to take assaults, including spitting and punching, more seriously when these cases do get to court.”

MTA officials said they are dismayed by the increasing assaults on workers.

Additional reporting by Tina Moore and Ben Feuerherd

Source: https://nypost.com/2018/06/04/fed-up-commuters-assaulting-mta-workers-more-than-ever/

 

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Deucey said:

#BringBackNYCTAPolice

Or better yet, where in the hell are the NYPD cops that are supposed to be patrolling the subways?  De Blasio made such an announcement just a few months and I haven't seen a difference in their presence. They're around when they aren't needed. I suspect that some are undercover though. We had one on the (1) train a while ago.  When the train pulled into 72nd street, an undercover cop excused himself as he went past me, but his gun was clearly visible in his holster. They stopped the train to look for someone who they didn't find.  

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Or better yet, where in the hell are the NYPD cops that are supposed to be patrolling the subways?  De Blasio made such an announcement just a few months and I haven't seen a difference in their presence. They're around when they aren't needed. I suspect that some are undercover though. We had one on the (1) train a while ago.  When the train pulled into 72nd street, an undercover cop excused himself as he went past me, but his gun was clearly visible in his holster. They stopped the train to look for someone who they didn't find.  

That is some what true that cops are always never around when something serious going on the subways......I know they cant be everywhere but lately ive been seeing crimes happening at station where at least one should be present....For the passengers...One could understand how fustrating being delayed can be but is punching and spitting in a conductors face gonna solve anything....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, biGC323232 said:

That is some what true that cops are always never around when something serious going on the subways......I know they cant be everywhere but lately ive been seeing crimes happening at station where at least one should be present....For the passengers...One could understand how fustrating being delayed can be but is punching and spitting in a conductors face gonna solve anything....

I've gotten into verbal confrontations with (MTA) personnel before, but never anything physical.  I mean I had a guy almost slam the door on my arm as I was getting off of the BxM1 and I had a few choice words for him, but he deserved it because it wasn't an accident. He did it intentionally and I did file a complaint.  I don't think it's worth it to go that route.  I don't say anything unless I'm provoked.  I just get off the bus or subway, file the complaint and that's that. When they're pulled in, they'll know what it's for and they'll correct their behavior or you just file another complaint until they do.  I always make sure I document everything, and take pictures if need be so the individual can be identified and if it's someone who has a habit of rude behavior, I note that as well.  As long as I receive courteous service I have no reason to file any complaints.  Overall I've found (MTA) personnel generally more courteous. There were some real street thugs working some positions and I'm glad they've gotten rid of most of those types.  

The other thing they've done a better job with is discrimination, particularly on the bus side. More drivers now kneel the bus regardless of who is getting on, which is the way it should be.  None of this only kneeling the bus for women crap.  You don't know who has a disability or who doesn't and men and women alike should have the bus kneeled for them.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Assaults on us have jumped through the roof(I'm not even talking about the ones that is not reported to the press either).

Sadly we live in a self entitled land where some folks think just because we are "public servants" we are their servants..

Unless these morons get hard time on the regular for this this pattern will continue.

I mean 25 years for a conviction of a assault on a cabby but 7 years for us? Asinine.

  • Thanks 2
  • LMAO! 1
  • Upvote 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RTOMan said:

Assaults on us have jumped through the roof(I'm not even talking about the ones that is not reported to the press either).

Sadly we live in a self entitled land where some folks think just because we are "public servants" we are their servants..

Unless these morons get hard time on the regular for this this pattern will continue.

I mean 25 years for a conviction of a assault on a cabby but 7 years for us? Asinine.

I'm not necessarily convinced that this is all about "angry passengers".  I see more and more people that enter the system that don't pay, and those are the people that generally have no problem doing other things, not to mention more mentally disturbed people.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not surprised, the delays are frustrating. All these cries for the police, the solution is simple, a reduction in delays and an increase in train/bus speeds, will reduce the assaults.

58 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

I'm not necessarily convinced that this is all about "angry passengers".  I see more and more people that enter the system that don't pay, and those are the people that generally have no problem doing other things, not to mention more mentally disturbed people.

That's an issue as well, I see people casually jumping over turnstiles, entering through the emergency exit, etc. That needs to be addressed, especially the ones causing issues for PAYING passengers. (ie, taking up multiple seats, not using earbuds, starting confrontations, etc). Actually, that would be interesting as one of the procedures to incidents, checking if they paid their fare.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, N6 Limited said:

I'm not surprised, the delays are frustrating. All these cries for the police, the solution is simple, a reduction in delays and an increase in train/bus speeds, will reduce the assaults.

That's an issue as well, I see people casually jumping over turnstiles, entering through the emergency exit, etc. That needs to be addressed, especially the ones causing issues for PAYING passengers. (ie, taking up multiple seats, not using earbuds, starting confrontations, etc). Actually, that would be interesting as one of the procedures to incidents, checking if they paid their fare.

They're all issues that previous mayors tackled that de Blasio hasn't, so he's the one to blame as far as I'm concerned. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

The day before, a station cleaner was so badly verbally assaulted by a passenger that she had to be taken to the hospital for emotional trauma, sources said.

“Someone said mean things to me! 😭

  • LMAO! 2
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, CenSin said:

“Someone said mean things to me! 😭

It must've been very vicious because she was taken to the hospital for it.  I mean really... For a verbal confrontation? Probably took sick time too. lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, RTOMan said:

Unless these morons get hard time on the regular for this this pattern will continue.

I mean 25 years for a conviction of a assault on a cabby but 7 years for us? Asinine.

I agree mandatory prison time is needed no pleading it down 

Should toughen up the assault law for you guys

I also would like to add that fare beating should be toughened up and made a felony

Edited by BreeddekalbL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

I'm not necessarily convinced that this is all about "angry passengers".  I see more and more people that enter the system that don't pay, and those are the people that generally have no problem doing other things, not to mention more mentally disturbed people.

NYC failed the people who have mental issues...

You are right as well not all these incidents are angry passenger..

Some are Just arseholes...

Some do have mental issues...

  • Upvote 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, RTOMan said:

NYC failed the people who have mental issues...

You are right as well not all these incidents are angry passenger..

Some are Just arseholes...

Some do have mental issues...

The country has failed people with mental issues. It's like this everywhere.

Everyone's mental health policy has either been to ignore the issue, or to give the homeless bus tickets to other places.

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, N6 Limited said:

I'm not surprised, the delays are frustrating. All these cries for the police, the solution is simple, a reduction in delays and an increase in train/bus speeds, will reduce the assaults.

That's an issue as well, I see people casually jumping over turnstiles, entering through the emergency exit, etc. That needs to be addressed, especially the ones causing issues for PAYING passengers. (ie, taking up multiple seats, not using earbuds, starting confrontations, etc). Actually, that would be interesting as one of the procedures to incidents, checking if they paid their fare.

Unless I'm missing something here in what universe is it okay to assault a person because ones commute was delayed? Sounds like you're manufacturing an excuse for these miscreants. Just my opinion. Carry on. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Trainmaster5 said:

Unless I'm missing something here in what universe is it okay to assault a person because ones commute was delayed? Sounds like you're manufacturing an excuse for these miscreants. Just my opinion. Carry on. 

 

He has a point. No one is saying it's okay to physically assault another worker, which seems to be what you're saying, but not all of these cases were physical assaults. Some of them were verbal assaults. In those cases we're all free to express our opinions. If you think a passenger isn't going to say anything when they're late for work, you're not being realistic. Like seriously when you go to a place that involves customer service like a restaurant, I doubt you just sit there and don't say anything when your order is delayed. You speak up. That's human nature. I'm not sure why it's supposed to be different because it's the (MTA) . I've been "verbally assaulted" by clients because they were pressed for a deadline, and we were delayed because of the holidays or just simply swamped with work. I'm understanding and try to diffuse the situation in those cases. When a client is just out of line and being rude just because that's another story and that I don't tolerate, but there's an attitude at the (MTA) that the customer is just supposed to pay and shut up and that is not right. It doesn't work that way anywhere in any other service environment, and that's why they've been coming under fire because there's no customer service at the (MTA) that's addressing the issues that passengers are concerned about, so it's just an ongoing cycle: the customer pays and sees nothing change in return besides worsening service, which is particularly true with the subways. All of these talks about stabilizing the system and it seems to be worsening. At some point, the passenger feels like the idiot that's just being taken advantage of.

They should be giving passengers a realistic time frame as to when we can start seeing the subway system turnaround and meet those benchmarks because right now it all sounds like BS. Oh we need X billions of dollars to stabilize the system and then we hear about them needing more money for basically the same thing with no change in service. It's fine to post pictures of new signals being put in and all of that, but until passengers start seeing their trains come on time consistently it's hard for them to quantify what they're being told.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LGA Link N train said:

Hey I have a far fetched idea for passangers. If you like complaining so much that your train is late/delayed, why don't You come up with a comprehensive plan to fix it?

The passengers don't need to come up with anything. They're paying the (MTA) to provide the service in addition to forking over a ton in tax dollars and paying more every two years for the same service or worse, and the (MTA) hires people specifically to come up with solutions, which they pay handsomely I may add. They have the solutions. They've come asking the public and elected officials for money. They've been provided with a good chunk of the money and haven't produced. Why should they public have to do the (MTA) 's job? So to recap, they asked for millions of dollars to stabilize the system. Then they come again asking for money for long-term fixes to get the system up and running. As a passenger, I don't see any results. I don't see the system becoming stable, and I don't see any changes that are coming for all of the money they've asked for and have received. There's one thing I agree about with de Blasio. The City is demanding accountability from the (MTA) for the monies that they've received and what progress they've made (or haven't). Scott Stringer's office should do another audit to see just exactly how this money has been spent and what progress has actually been made "stabilizing" the system.

  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

He has a point. No one is saying it's okay to physically assault another worker, which seems to be what you're saying, but not all of these cases were physical assaults. Some of them were verbal assaults. In those cases we're all free to express our opinions. If you think a passenger isn't going to say anything when they're late for work, you're not being realistic. Like seriously when you go to a place that involves customer service like a restaurant, I doubt you just sit there and don't say anything when your order is delayed. You speak up. That's human nature. I'm not sure why it's supposed to be different because it's the (MTA) . I've been "verbally assaulted" by clients because they were pressed for a deadline, and we were delayed because of the holidays or just simply swamped with work. I'm understanding and try to diffuse the situation in those cases. When a client is just out of line and being rude just because that's another story and that I don't tolerate, but there's an attitude at the (MTA) that the customer is just supposed to pay and shut up and that is not right. It doesn't work that way anywhere in any other service environment, and that's why they've been coming under fire because there's no customer service at the (MTA) that's addressing the issues that passengers are concerned about, so it's just an ongoing cycle: the customer pays and sees nothing change in return besides worsening service, which is particularly true with the subways. All of these talks about stabilizing the system and it seems to be worsening. At some point, the passenger feels like the idiot that's just being taken advantage of.

They should be giving passengers a realistic time frame as to when we can start seeing the subway system turnaround and meet those benchmarks because right now it all sounds like BS. Oh we need X billions of dollars to stabilize the system and then we hear about them needing more money for basically the same thing with no change in service. It's fine to post pictures of new signals being put in and all of that, but until passengers start seeing their trains come on time consistently it's hard for them to quantify what they're being told.

You posted the article and it talks about physical assault,  period.  The post I was replying to seemed to be trying to find some type of justification for the increase in the assault rate. Your second sentence started off agreeing with my point but it veers off into criticism or " verbal assault " which isn't what the article was about at all. Everyone has the right to complain about poor service or a shoddy product whether it's a restaurant,  transport provider,  Macy's, or Madison Square Garden. I've done it when it was warranted.  It's never crossed my mind to assault a person, physically, because I didn't like the service . Criticism isn't the same thing as berating a person,  what's being called " verbal assault ", elsewhere. Make your point and move on or take your business somewhere else.  My opinion though.  Carry on. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 5
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Trainmaster5 said:

You posted the article and it talks about physical assault,  period.  The post I was replying to seemed to be trying to find some type of justification for the increase in the assault rate. Your second sentence started off agreeing with my point but it veers off into criticism or " verbal assault " which isn't what the article was about at all. Everyone has the right to complain about poor service or a shoddy product whether it's a restaurant,  transport provider,  Macy's, or Madison Square Garden. I've done it when it was warranted.  It's never crossed my mind to assault a person, physically, because I didn't like the service . Criticism isn't the same thing as berating a person,  what's being called " verbal assault ", elsewhere. Make your point and move on or take your business somewhere else.  My opinion though.  Carry on. 

No, it mentions physical assault AND verbal assault, hence my clarification.

Quote

The day before, a station cleaner was so badly verbally assaulted by a passenger that she had to be taken to the hospital for emotional trauma, sources said.

The article should clarify what exactly occurred though.  If I hear verbal assault I think of it as just that.

  • Thumbs Up 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

No, it mentions physical assault AND verbal assault, hence my clarification.

The article should clarify what exactly occurred though.  If I hear verbal assault I think of it as just that.

Emotional trauma,  verbal assault,  hospitalization,  is why I ignored that.  Even parents yelling at their children never led to that when I was a kid. The older folks in my family  could lay you out without using any profanity but I don't recall us kids being traumatized.  Times have really changed. Carry on 

  • LMAO! 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/6/2018 at 10:12 AM, Trainmaster5 said:

You posted the article and it talks about physical assault,  period.  The post I was replying to seemed to be trying to find some type of justification for the increase in the assault rate. Your second sentence started off agreeing with my point but it veers off into criticism or " verbal assault " which isn't what the article was about at all. Everyone has the right to complain about poor service or a shoddy product whether it's a restaurant,  transport provider,  Macy's, or Madison Square Garden. I've done it when it was warranted.  It's never crossed my mind to assault a person, physically, because I didn't like the service . Criticism isn't the same thing as berating a person,  what's being called " verbal assault ", elsewhere. Make your point and move on or take your business somewhere else.  My opinion though.  Carry on. 

What is going on is ridiculous, like it's the T/O or C/R's fault that happens.  Things break down.  The real problem is what LED UP to all these problems that have to be fixed.

The real problem is you have employers (especially those whose companies are headquartered outside the US) who in some cases won't accept lateness at all, even when it's not the employee's fault for things outside of their control.  Some will simply tell them to allow 2-3 extra hours in some cases (that's extreme, but it would not surprise me) to allow for extremely long delays that are often outside of their control, thinking that they can adjust by leaving earlier.  That I think leads to a lot of this as well, people often being on short sleep just because they have to allow additional time in case of delays in many cases, which leads to taking out frustrations caused by their employers on the TA employees unfairly (or even feeling like they have to in order to show their employers "whose fault it really is").  

The MTA probably needs to talk to employers and give them a better understanding of the issues.  Whether some will listen to them is a whole other matter. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/15/2018 at 9:43 AM, Wallyhorse said:

What is going on is ridiculous, like it's the T/O or C/R's fault that happens.  Things break down.  The real problem is what LED UP to all these problems that have to be fixed.

The real problem is you have employers (especially those whose companies are headquartered outside the US) who in some cases won't accept lateness at all, even when it's not the employee's fault for things outside of their control.  Some will simply tell them to allow 2-3 extra hours in some cases (that's extreme, but it would not surprise me) to allow for extremely long delays that are often outside of their control, thinking that they can adjust by leaving earlier.  That I think leads to a lot of this as well, people often being on short sleep just because they have to allow additional time in case of delays in many cases, which leads to taking out frustrations caused by their employers on the TA employees unfairly (or even feeling like they have to in order to show their employers "whose fault it really is").  

The MTA probably needs to talk to employers and give them a better understanding of the issues.  Whether some will listen to them is a whole other matter. 

Why should a company give the MTA slack and lose money because of their problems? For that matter, why should workers?

There's being an MTA apologist and then there's just plain foolishness.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/15/2018 at 12:43 PM, Wallyhorse said:

What is going on is ridiculous, like it's the T/O or C/R's fault that happens.  Things break down.  The real problem is what LED UP to all these problems that have to be fixed.

The real problem is you have employers (especially those whose companies are headquartered outside the US) who in some cases won't accept lateness at all, even when it's not the employee's fault for things outside of their control.  Some will simply tell them to allow 2-3 extra hours in some cases (that's extreme, but it would not surprise me) to allow for extremely long delays that are often outside of their control, thinking that they can adjust by leaving earlier.  That I think leads to a lot of this as well, people often being on short sleep just because they have to allow additional time in case of delays in many cases, which leads to taking out frustrations caused by their employers on the TA employees unfairly (or even feeling like they have to in order to show their employers "whose fault it really is").  

The MTA probably needs to talk to employers and give them a better understanding of the issues.  Whether some will listen to them is a whole other matter. 

What an absurd thing to say. The fact of the matter is employees are being paid to do a job. My boss is pretty laid back about what time we come in, but that doesn't mean it's okay to keep strolling in an hour late regularly. For the most part it's understood that if I'm late I'll likely be 20-30 minutes late because I have a long walk to my office now. We have people coming in from NJ that also have the same problem. When they're late it's usually 30 minutes or so since they have to walk from Penn Station or some take the subway or a bus from elsewhere. I now give myself about 2 hours sometimes to get in, this way I have time for any delays AND I can still stop off for a pastry and a macchiato before going in. No one is going to say anything if you walk in 10-15 minutes after because we all check our e-mails remotely and most of us work long hours well after our standard times so we don't have fixed hours, but if there's a meeting or something else important, we're expected to be there on time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.