Jump to content


Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
Sign in to follow this  
Deucey

ICYMI: SIM bus stops in Manhattan released

Recommended Posts

I have to agree with a lot of posters on SiLive. Moving ALL of the express buses to 5th Avenue may be a big mistake. Those bus lanes are not enforced and have cars and other things blocking them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

I have to agree with a lot of posters on SiLive. Moving ALL of the express buses to 5th Avenue may be a big mistake. Those bus lanes are not enforced and have cars and other things blocking them.

It’s interesting since I work at 49th/Madison - I never see bus lane obstructions on Madison unless it’s a parked express bus. But since 5th abuts Rockefeller Center, every  taxi and private car gets in those bus lanes and causes every bus to jump to regular traffic lanes.

Maybe they should put up jersey barriers for the bus lanes and signalized right turn lanes to prevent the obstructions?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Deucey said:

It’s interesting since I work at 49th/Madison - I never see bus lane obstructions on Madison unless it’s a parked express bus. But since 5th abuts Rockefeller Center, every  taxi and private car gets in those bus lanes and causes every bus to jump to regular traffic lanes.

Maybe they should put up jersey barriers for the bus lanes and signalized right turn lanes to prevent the obstructions?

Part of the problem is so many cars have to come into the bus lanes to turn at several blocks and it causes SEVERE back-up. Coming down on the BxM3 this morning 5th was tolerable below 57th Street, but that isn't always the case. I get that they're trying to centralize all express buses on Staten Island and take advantage of those two bus lanes, but with no enforcement it won't matter, and they have no signal priority for them either.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah I can tell from taking the X37 that there needs to be better enforcement and signal priority to keep buses moving... It's extremely annoying when you've just pulled out of a stop and then the next light immediately turns yellow then red.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/6/2018 at 11:40 PM, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

I have to agree with a lot of posters on SiLive. Moving ALL of the express buses to 5th Avenue may be a big mistake. Those bus lanes are not enforced and have cars and other things blocking them.

Maybe someone is hoping that all those additional buses will help the bus lanes become "self-enforcing." We all saw how well that worked on Fulton Street in Brooklyn in the 1990s (the B37 was moved away from the busway so it could go faster).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Gotham Bus Co. said:

Maybe someone is hoping that all those additional buses will help the bus lanes become "self-enforcing." We all saw how well that worked on Fulton Street in Brooklyn in the 1990s (the B37 was moved away from the busway so it could go faster).

Well I happened to be passing along 5th Avenue last night and saw that they're actually painting the bus lanes now, which should've been done ages ago.  I still don't see any enforcement.  The bus lanes are going to be set up just like Madison, but it seems as if Madison Avenue receives more traffic cops getting on drivers to stay in their lanes unless they're turning.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some newspaper they are. I saw the document posted on their website the weekend before the May 21st public hearing, and the SI Advance is just publishing it lol

I think the Church Street & Park Place stop elimination is stupid. That's the most convenient transfer to the (A)(C) and (2)(3) and they want to encourage people to take the subway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

Some newspaper they are. I saw the document posted on their website the weekend before the May 21st public hearing, and the SI Advance is just publishing it lol

Hard to believe it’s the paper that own(ed) Condé Nast, right?

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.