Transit Property Protection Agent Exam # 8623

Bmpo7

Exam application period starts today, ends June 26 for anyone interested. Requires at least a little bit security experience from my understanding.

Education and Experience Requirements:

By the last day of the Application Period you must meet the following requirements:

A four-year high school diploma or its educational equivalent, approved by a State’s Department of Education or a recognized accrediting organization and eighteen months of full-time experience, of which at least twelve months must have been continuous (with one employer) performing security work, including at least two of the three duties below:

a. Performing constant surveillance using closed-circuit television or patrolling a large facility or grounds. This must include recognizing and reporting suspicious behavior.
b. Interacting with the general public, including confronting unauthorized personnel.
c. Operating surveillance and intrusion detection equipment. Note: Military experience as described above will be accepted.

SALARY AND BENEFITS

The current minimum salary for Transit Property Protection Agent is $19.78 per hour for a 40-hour work week increasing to $28.25 in the sixth year of service. This rate is subject to change. The benefits of this position include, but are not limited to, night and weekend salary differentials, paid holidays, vacation and sick leave, a comprehensive medical plan and a pension plan.

• 5 months later...

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Though not a PPA  question, it’s similar. I’m interested in the MTA Collection Agent position. I currently work for the MTA, but I took the PPA exam, bc the CA exam stated three years as a MTA PPA or Station Agent. So I figured if I got hired as a PPA, do my three years and take the Collection Agebt exam......

.....The problem is, the MTA  wants a pistol permit just to take the exam. I figured it’d make more sense to be hired as a CA first, then w the paperwork from the MTA, for you to then apply for a permit for employment.

Idk how one would get a business/special carry pistol permit just to take the exam? Everyone knows it’s near impossible to get a pistol permit anywhere in NYS or the City. And I just couldn’t go to the Police Dept and say I’d like to apply for a special carry permit so that I can take an exam.  

It seems the only people who can qualify just to take this exam are retired Police/Correction officers, or armed security guards for a private company. But even then, to get an armed security position with a private company, they want you to already have a pistol permit and 47 hr course.

How can one get the permit if no one is willing to hire them and give them the paperwork to apply for a pistol permit for work?

unless I’m missing something, Any ideas on how to go about it.

I lived in another state and had NO problem getting a pistol permit. It took about four months. I thought about trying to apply to an armored car job....but again, they want the permit and course to be considered for employment. It seems to me like it’s a double edged sword. And I don’t want to leave my current MTA position for a lower pay armored truck job on an off chance on could become a MTA Collevtion Agent. That could take years, if ever.

any one have any ideas. I can’t find a tread for Collection Agent. 

3 hours ago, Yks747 said:

Though not a PPA  question, it’s similar. I’m interested in the MTA Collection Agent position. I currently work for the MTA, but I took the PPA exam, bc the CA exam stated three years as a MTA PPA or Station Agent. So I figured if I got hired as a PPA, do my three years and take the Collection Agebt exam......

.....The problem is, the MTA  wants a pistol permit just to take the exam. I figured it’d make more sense to be hired as a CA first, then w the paperwork from the MTA, for you to then apply for a permit for employment.

Idk how one would get a business/special carry pistol permit just to take the exam? Everyone knows it’s near impossible to get a pistol permit anywhere in NYS or the City. And I just couldn’t go to the Police Dept and say I’d like to apply for a special carry permit so that I can take an exam.  

It seems the only people who can qualify just to take this exam are retired Police/Correction officers, or armed security guards for a private company. But even then, to get an armed security position with a private company, they want you to already have a pistol permit and 47 hr course.

How can one get the permit if no one is willing to hire them and give them the paperwork to apply for a pistol permit for work?

unless I’m missing something, Any ideas on how to go about it.

I lived in another state and had NO problem getting a pistol permit. It took about four months. I thought about trying to apply to an armored car job....but again, they want the permit and course to be considered for employment. It seems to me like it’s a double edged sword. And I don’t want to leave my current MTA position for a lower pay armored truck job on an off chance on could become a MTA Collevtion Agent. That could take years, if ever.

any one have any ideas. I can’t find a tread for Collection Agent. 

In order to get your pistol permit you have to go through 1 police plaza it's about a 6 month process. Once you have your pistol permit you can go to a school and do your 47 hr armed guard class. In order to get experience armored truck companies are easy to get into only thing is they pay horrible 

Thanks petecas92. You’d be surprised about getting into armored trucks. It’s hard (at least it has been for me) and most companies do want a pistol permit already. But you’re right, the pay is terrible. That’s why I don’t think I’d leave my current position to go to armored trucks on the off chance I can be a MTA Collection Agent.

I don’t think I can get a pistol permit in NYC though. I’ve been looking. First, I’m not a city resident; I live in Westchester. I think you have to be a NYC resident.

second, I can’t apply for business carry/carry guard, etc, like the MTA exam announcement states, bc I have no proof I need it for employment. 

So so I don’t think I’d be able to get one from the NYPD. And in Westchester I hear it’s next to impossible. So I don’t think I’d ever be a MTA Collection Agent 

3 hours ago, Yks747 said:

Thanks petecas92. You’d be surprised about getting into armored trucks. It’s hard (at least it has been for me) and most companies do want a pistol permit already. But you’re right, the pay is terrible. That’s why I don’t think I’d leave my current position to go to armored trucks on the off chance I can be a MTA Collection Agent.

I don’t think I can get a pistol permit in NYC though. I’ve been looking. First, I’m not a city resident; I live in Westchester. I think you have to be a NYC resident.

second, I can’t apply for business carry/carry guard, etc, like the MTA exam announcement states, bc I have no proof I need it for employment. 

So so I don’t think I’d be able to get one from the NYPD. And in Westchester I hear it’s next to impossible. So I don’t think I’d ever be a MTA Collection Agent 

No problem. Getting your pistol permit in NYC is a headache, I suggest you get your foot in the door with MTA with a different position keep taking every exam that comes out. Plus alot of these jobs are not much of a difference in pay between collection agent

• 3 months later...
13 hours ago, Prpapi74 said:

Hi there guys I also got only 4 wrong when checked the answers... Waiting on mail telling me my number... Anybody had an idea when that'll be about?

That is very good. Not sure what your list # will be. It depends on how many others took the exam & did well also.

• 2 weeks later...