A.G.S. -buses- job opening

frankblk

What material can one study to become an ags if never worked for MTA before since this is a resume opening. I’ve heard it’s rare they hire without but not impossible. Any suggestions appreciated this is something of high interest. 

4 hours ago, frankblk said:

What material can one study to become an ags if never worked for MTA before since this is a resume opening. I’ve heard it’s rare they hire without but not impossible. Any suggestions appreciated this is something of high interest. 

A.G.S.  Meaning Assistance General Superintendent? 

The AGS can be for many dept within the Buses division. Transportations, Mechanics, Safety and etc.

90% of the time these positions are open for promotional  unless you have experience from a major transportation agency.

Majority of the positions within management is based on years of service experience ranks. For example in Dept of Buses the promotion ranks is Bus operator (3 years of service) to Dispatcher, after Dispatcher you are eligible to apply or get promoted to a Superintendent.  A.G.S is a level II rank which is higher to a regular Superintendent level I. To become AGS you have to be level I first unless you have years of past experience within a Mass Transportation agency.

Ok I just viewed the information and I see what you are talking about...  So I was right, that position is usually open for current employees on the job that has years of services, and was already in another rank below G.S.  

Job Description:

Salary Range: $81,829 - $129,343 (Grade D) <---- High Ranking Superintendent

Compression Minimum: $102,000

Responsibilities

This position reports to the General Superintendent, Transportation and is responsible for assisting the General Superintendent with ensuring the safe and reliable provision of bus service.  If assigned to a depot, the incumbent will be responsible for providing assistance and direction with the following functions:  Monitoring Bus Operator performance and defining and maintaining increased levels of productivity.  Ensuring the availability/quality of Bus Operators.  Carrying out effective availability programs utilizing appropriate disciplinary methods and coordinating with Training to ensure operators are consistently trained, re-trained and 19A qualified.  If assigned to Road Operations, the incumbent will be responsible for assisting and providing direction with the following functions:  Customer service delivery and bus performance throughout a borough on local/express routes.  Researching and developing responses to passengers, community or agency inquiries.  Addressing service problems and recommending short/long-term solutions.  Assisting with providing overall policy direction and enforcement of safety guidelines for Bus Operators; as well as investigating road equipment/depot safety hazards and other potential safety problems. In the absence of the General Superintendent Transportation, the incumbent will assume the duties of that position.

Education and Experience

1. Seven (7) years of related experience, at least three (3) years of which must have been in a supervisory/managerial/administrative capacity

2. Must have one (1) year of previous experience in the title of Superintendent or an equivalent title; or

3. A satisfactory equivalent of the combined education and experience requirements

Desired Skills

-Strong communication and negotiation skills
-Knowledge of NYCT's Department of Buses/MTA Bus rules and regulations and union contracts
-Experience in the management of a large, multi-location, multi-faceted line based organization with the ability to implement executive policies and procedures
-Extensive depot/division transportation operations experience or administrative experience in an operating environment

• 11 months later...

Thanks. That question was for a friend. My next is how does one go from b/o to supt without dispatching and I’ve heard it is possible. Is it a who you know kinds of thing...or are there several kinds of material I haven’t gotten any info from any supt idk why it seems like a secret 

• 2 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 5/23/2019 at 10:57 PM, frankblk said:

Thanks. That question was for a friend. My next is how does one go from b/o to supt without dispatching and I’ve heard it is possible. Is it a who you know kinds of thing...or are there several kinds of material I haven’t gotten any info from any supt idk why it seems like a secret 

Late responding, I apologize for that. To jump position instead of climbing the ladder, You need to have managerial experience from a previous job that is related to buses and etc with an college degree versus you being a supervisor role "Dispatcher". To be honest, They rather promote within the supervisory role because you already know the function of supervisory role. And also it is  who knows who with referral.

But you won't be able to jump straight from B/O into AGS. Its baby step and you need experience first as a Superintendent rank. 

Ranks by ladder:

Supervisor "Dispatcher"

Superintendent  

Asst Gen Supt

Gen Supt

Asst Gen Manager

Gen Manager

Regional Gen Mgr

Edited by Flatbush Operator

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

Yea you prolly won't get a AGS job from the outside. Most of the time, they already know who will get these management jobs even before putting up the job posting. I have seen a few instances of nespotism going on and even secretaries being promoted to analyst and then to General Superintendents going in Buses. It has a lot to do with who you know in Buses.