Proposed South Fork Bus Changes (Hearing)

Among the changes include:

1. S94 Elimination

2. Elimination of 10C service to Ditch Plains

3. Extension of 10C to Montauk Lighthouse (some trips)

4. 10B extension to East Hampton Town Hall and Pantigo Place Healthcare Center

Public Hearings are set for July 10 and July 11

http://www.sct-bus.org/assets/10B-10C-S94 hearing notice 2018.pdf

On 6/12/2018 at 1:37 PM, mac5689 said:

They want to use the 10C as the route that goes out to Montauk Light House. I never did understand why they sitched the 10C with the S94 in the first place. 

Me neither. I don't how ridership is on the S94, but I guess it's barely anything. Ridership is basically the people coming off 10C's and the Montauk Village residents. Given that not all S94's have a 10C connection, it makes it hard for that to be a sustainable service.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/18/2018 at 6:56 PM, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

Me neither. I don't how ridership is on the S94, but I guess it's barely anything. Ridership is basically the people coming off 10C's and the Montauk Village residents. Given that not all S94's have a 10C connection, it makes it hard for that to be a sustainable service.

That's a good point. Though that wasn't the point I had meant. My point was more of not understanding why they changed the 10C from running to Montauk Point Summer Only to the full year around route service service on Monatuk Village to points West, instead of keeping the S94 as the Yard round Route. 

My guess is the move to combine stems not only from Low Ridership, but by deleting the S94, it means that they can retire/get rid of one of the Spare buses at HJ, sinec HJ would only need two plus either one or two as spares. Currently I my roster is currently correct, I believe HJ has at least three buses as spares. 

• 1 month later...

It's official. Tomorrow will be the last day of the S94 service. Starting Wednesday, 10C Bus service will replace the S94 to the Lighthouse, stopping 4 times a day. The 10B will have an extra bus, as it will serve Pantigo Center. 

10B Schedule:

http://www.sct-bus.org/assets/10b_2018 schedule.pdf

10C Schedule:

http://www.sct-bus.org/assets/10C 2018 summer.pdf

I had the chance to take the S94 and 10C last weekend, and here are my thoughts on these changes:

There's no doubt that the 10B should serve Pantigo, as it will make it easier for patients. However, I feel that service should not be taken away from the S94 and 10C because of this. The S94 actually does a lot better than I expected. The trip I was on to the lighthouse had about 10 people, and the return had six. This is also around the time that there's an apparent shift in people going back to Montauk Village. For SCT standards, it does well, even though it uses ARBOCs. I feel like perhaps a trip from the morning should be shifted into the afternoon, in order to provide later service, but I don't believe the route should be cut.

The positive parts about the 10C serving the lighthouse include the bus running on Sundays to the lighthouse, and that bus service runs a lot later than the traditional S94 service (last bus will depart at 7:49 PM compared to 5:30 PM on the S94). However, running service only 4 times a day, at roughly 3 hour headways, would likely discourage ridership. At the very least, I would maintain bi-hourly service where possible.

Also, the 10C needs more service than what's currently given, and it can be done. For starters, I think that Montauk Loop routing is outdated. The core ridership is clearly for Montauk-East Hampton travel, but they have the 10C loop TWICE in Montauk. The headways between buses in that area is just inconsistent, and people have to schedule themselves for the few buses which go out to East Hampton. I created a schedule which essentially makes the 10C route operate between East Hampton and Montauk Point. The bus would have a Ditch Plains stop on Montauk Point Highway. There are two trips which only go to Montauk Village from East Hampton, and then go back. Also, the loop is only done once, and the direction changes following the second-short-turn, which is also done considering when people get out of work or want to take the bus from any of the areas outside Montauk Village:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1A-aaOv4C1hU3YeiGHfnvEj4MBmSpG7Zdp37AWiF1z_g/edit?usp=sharing

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎7‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 12:22 AM, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

It's official. Tomorrow will be the last day of the S94 service. Starting Wednesday, 10C Bus service will replace the S94 to the Lighthouse, stopping 4 times a day. The 10B will have an extra bus, as it will serve Pantigo Center. 

10B Schedule:

http://www.sct-bus.org/assets/10b_2018 schedule.pdf

10C Schedule:

http://www.sct-bus.org/assets/10C 2018 summer.pdf

I had the chance to take the S94 and 10C last weekend, and here are my thoughts on these changes:

There's no doubt that the 10B should serve Pantigo, as it will make it easier for patients. However, I feel that service should not be taken away from the S94 and 10C because of this. The S94 actually does a lot better than I expected. The trip I was on to the lighthouse had about 10 people, and the return had six. This is also around the time that there's an apparent shift in people going back to Montauk Village. For SCT standards, it does well, even though it uses ARBOCs. I feel like perhaps a trip from the morning should be shifted into the afternoon, in order to provide later service, but I don't believe the route should be cut.

The positive parts about the 10C serving the lighthouse include the bus running on Sundays to the lighthouse, and that bus service runs a lot later than the traditional S94 service (last bus will depart at 7:49 PM compared to 5:30 PM on the S94). However, running service only 4 times a day, at roughly 3 hour headways, would likely discourage ridership. At the very least, I would maintain bi-hourly service where possible.

Also, the 10C needs more service than what's currently given, and it can be done. For starters, I think that Montauk Loop routing is outdated. The core ridership is clearly for Montauk-East Hampton travel, but they have the 10C loop TWICE in Montauk. The headways between buses in that area is just inconsistent, and people have to schedule themselves for the few buses which go out to East Hampton. I created a schedule which essentially makes the 10C route operate between East Hampton and Montauk Point. The bus would have a Ditch Plains stop on Montauk Point Highway. There are two trips which only go to Montauk Village from East Hampton, and then go back. Also, the loop is only done once, and the direction changes following the second-short-turn, which is also done considering when people get out of work or want to take the bus from any of the areas outside Montauk Village:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1A-aaOv4C1hU3YeiGHfnvEj4MBmSpG7Zdp37AWiF1z_g/edit?usp=sharing

Yeah, the S94 had a good little chunk of riders (unlike the S47, where the last time I rode it [many moons ago], I was the only passenger on the bus heading towards Robert Moses & on the trip back, it was myself & some other dude).... Regardless, I was never in favor of the S94 anyway; the 10c should have been the route running to the lighthouse.... AFAIC, the situation isn't akin to say, the S47 or the n88 where a separate service to a specific destination is all that needed....

• 3 months later...

You know if the 10c is extended to the lighthouse it would pass by law in ditch plains...so yeah is a good change...going to the lighthouse year round not to mention that the s94 dosent even go to the LIRR station as the 10c does just yo the gazebo

Archived