How are readings programmed to allow customers to understand where buses are going?

Lawrence St

8 hours ago, XBht26 said:

I’d like to add the B45 “via St. John’s Pl” and the B65 “via Bergen st” and “Via Dean st”

Valid. Only if ENY can re-program the 45 and 65 signage. At one point the Q24 and Q56 didn’t have via Atlantic and Jamaica prolly within the last 10-15 years. 

I'll add the...

- S59 to say "Via Richmond Ave"

- S53 to say "Via Broadway/Via Clove Road"

- S74/S84 LTD to say "Via Richmond Road/Via Arthur Kill Road"

- S76/S86 LTD to say "Via Richmond Road/Via New Dorp Lane"

- S61/S91 LTD to say "Via Victory/Via Forest Hill Road"

- S44/S94 LTD to say "Via Cary-Post Ave/Via Richmond Ave"

- S54 to say "Via Manor Road/Via Giffords Lane"

- S56 to say "Via Woodrow Road/Via Foster Road"

- S57 to say "Via Bradley-Brielle Ave/Via Rockland Ave"

- S52 to say "Via New Brighton/Via Tompkins Ave"

- S42 to say "Via Brighton Ave/Via Lafayette Ave"

- S79 SBS to say "Via Hylan Blvd/Via Richmond Ave" In Both directions

- S55 to say "Via Annadale Road/Via Bloomingdale Road" In Both directions

On 6/15/2018 at 9:00 AM, Lil 57 said:

I'll add the...

- S59 to say "Via Richmond Ave"

- S53 to say "Via Broadway/Via Clove Road"

- S74/S84 LTD to say "Via Richmond Road/Via Arthur Kill Road"

- S76/S86 LTD to say "Via Richmond Road/Via New Dorp Lane"

- S61/S91 LTD to say "Via Victory/Via Forest Hill Road"

- S44/S94 LTD to say "Via Cary-Post Ave/Via Richmond Ave"

- S54 to say "Via Manor Road/Via Giffords Lane"

- S56 to say "Via Woodrow Road/Via Foster Road"

- S57 to say "Via Bradley-Brielle Ave/Via Rockland Ave"

- S52 to say "Via New Brighton/Via Tompkins Ave"

- S42 to say "Via Brighton Ave/Via Lafayette Ave"

- S79 SBS to say "Via Hylan Blvd/Via Richmond Ave" In Both directions

- S55 to say "Via Annadale Road/Via Bloomingdale Road" In Both directions

Back in the days of single-line signs, I remember some readings with SIX flashes. for example:

M4 LIMITED

M4 MIDTOWN

M4 PENN STATION

M4 LIMITED

M4 via BWAY

M4 via 5 AV

Yes, it was so long that the LIMITED line had to be repeated (which made it even longer). By the time you read all of it, the bus was gone.

1 minute ago, Gotham Bus Co. said:

Back in the days of single-line signs, I remember some readings with SIX flashes. for example:

M4 LIMITED

M4 MIDTOWN

M4 PENN STATION

M4 LIMITED

M4 via BWAY

M4 via 5 AV

Yes, it was so long that the LIMITED line had to be repeated (which made it even longer). By the time you read all of it, the bus was gone.

I would have a Max of 3 flashes

On 6/13/2018 at 4:07 PM, JeremiahC99 said:

B41 service signs should add a "Via Avenue N" for trips going to Bergen Beach.

B46 and B47 should add "Via Broadway" to their signs alongside their via streets. It would go:

B46 | WILLIAMSBURG/BRIDGE PLAZA

B46 | VIA UTICA AV/VIA BROADWAY

B46 | KINGS PLAZA

B46 | VIA BROADWAY/VIA UTICA AV

B47 signs would be the same, but with Woodhull Hospital instead of Williamsburg, and Ralph Avenue instead of Utica Avenue.

P.S, where can I find an site to make your own bus destination signs and simulate them?

i get your point regarding northbound b46 service, however not every southbound b46 trip starts at willy b, so the via Broadway signage wouldn't work for eastern pky short signs or the occasional DeKalb Avenue shorties either. regarding the b17, i never understood why via Remsen wasn't added to the Canarsie trips to 108 & Seaview.. it has to be a data space issue overall. yet with the redesigned q21, q41 & q9 signage, I'd hope the system destination signs get adequately adjusted 

On 6/15/2018 at 9:00 AM, Lil 57 said:

S59 to say "Via Richmond Ave

the s59 doesn't truly run via Richmond since it dips into staten Island mall & around yukon depot. I'm assuming that's why a via Richmond never existed for the 59. it's a noble idea tho. definitely works for the s89

On 6/15/2018 at 8:58 AM, Future ENY OP said:

Valid. Only if ENY can re-program the 45 and 65 signage. At one point the Q24 and Q56 didn’t have via Atlantic and Jamaica prolly within the last 10-15 years. 

it's amazing that the q56 via Jamaica av is only a recent thing. one sign i would love to see altered for accuracy would be the B44 local. no new york avenue mention for as long as I've been alive. that needs to change. also, the B60. via rockaway av/via wilson couldn't hurt. 

14 minutes ago, EastFlatbushLarry said:

i get your point regarding northbound b46 service, however not every southbound b46 trip starts at willy b, so the via Broadway signage wouldn't work for eastern pky short signs or the occasional DeKalb Avenue shorties either. regarding the b17, i never understood why via Remsen wasn't added to the Canarsie trips to 108 & Seaview.. it has to be a data space issue overall. yet with the redesigned q21, q41 & q9 signage, I'd hope the system destination signs get adequately adjusted 

They should add via signs where appropriate. For the B12, I would add via East NY Av. Even on the B15, I would add "Via M. Garvey Blvd or Lewis Avenue" and "Via New Lots Avenue" signs. The M14A and D should have a "Via 14 St" and "Via Avenue A" or "Via Avenue D" Signs. This should be discussed to the MTA planners when they do the bus redesign plans.

8 minutes ago, JeremiahC99 said:

They should add via signs where appropriate. For the B12, I would add via East NY Av. Even on the B15, I would add "Via M. Garvey Blvd or Lewis Avenue" and "Via New Lots Avenue" signs. The M14A and D should have a "Via 14 St" and "Via Avenue A" or "Via Avenue D" Signs. This should be discussed to the MTA planners when they do the bus redesign plans.

again, noble idea, but i disagree with the b15 idea. if the 15 somehow gets its routing straightened out, then yes. otherwise the 15 runs on marcus garvey albany ralph east 98 hegeman new lots fountain and linden... none of the streets it runs on is really worthy of a via designation in my eyes. 

6 hours ago, EastFlatbushLarry said:

Since when did the Q9, 21 and 41 get updated signs? In addition, I would add via Sutter for the B14, via Remsen for the B17 and maybe via Metropolitan for the Q54

7 hours ago, EastFlatbushLarry said:

it's amazing that the q56 via Jamaica av is only a recent thing. one sign i would love to see altered for accuracy would be the B44 local. no new york avenue mention for as long as I've been alive. that needs to change. also, the B60. via rockaway av/via wilson couldn't hurt. 

Hell, the only "New York av" reading I've ever seen on a bus is on the B12....

1 hour ago, Q43LTD said:

Since when did the Q9, 21 and 41 get updated signs? In addition, I would add via Sutter for the B14, via Remsen for the B17 and maybe via Metropolitan for the Q54

Don't know when it happened, but the Q41 says via 109th & via Lindenwood IINM.....

1 hour ago, B35 via Church said:

Hell, the only "New York av" reading I've ever seen on a bus is on the B12....

Don't know when it happened, but the Q41 says via 109th & via Lindenwood IINM.....

earlier this year, I'd say sometime after new years, they did via streets/neighborhoods for the q9/21/41 destination signs. q9 has via streets for the van wyck, 135 street & Lincoln. q21 & 41 have via LINDENWOOD while the 41 also displays via cross bay & 109 av

2 hours ago, Q43LTD said:

i always wondered why the q54 didn't at minimum display via metro, but after the reroute to atlas park mall, i see where via metro won't work. i guess a via atlas park mall could work, i just don't know how necessary it would be 

21 minutes ago, EastFlatbushLarry said:

earlier this year, I'd say sometime after new years, they did via streets/neighborhoods for the q9/21/41 destination signs. q9 has via streets for the van wyck, 135 street & Lincoln. q21 & 41 have via LINDENWOOD while the 41 also displays via cross bay & 109 av

That's too much vias for the Q41. The Q9 saying via Lincoln is a throwback to the PBL days

The B6 should get “via bay pkwy” even with all the turns it has. 

Bx31 should get “via eastchester rd”

Bx17 “via prospect” and “via crotona” 

Bx21 “via Boston rd” and “via Morris pk av”

Bx32 “via Jerome” and “via Morris Ava”

1 hour ago, EastFlatbushLarry said:

Why didn’t the Q41 also say “via 127 Street”

1 hour ago, Q43LTD said:

That's too much vias for the Q41. The Q9 saying via Lincoln is a throwback to the PBL days

agreed. personally i would've been satisfied with a via LINDENWOOD designation and leaving well enough alone. 

34 minutes ago, JeremiahC99 said:

Why didn’t the Q41 also say “via 127 Street”

they probably felt that would've been overkill, and i personally agree. the 109 av & cross bay are already a wee bit unnecessary as is. i really feel there needs to be (if there isn't already) criteria for via street designations, one being that the route operates on the described via street for more than 1.5 city miles

54 minutes ago, XBht26 said:

The B6 should get “via bay pkwy” even with all the turns it has. 

i view the b6, q41, b15, b16 b62, etc as falling into the same category... too many twists & turns to warrant a via street designation. and on the flip side, lines like the b74, bx18 bx46, b42, q42 are too short to qualify also. 

10 hours ago, EastFlatbushLarry said:

the s59 doesn't truly run via Richmond since it dips into staten Island mall & around yukon depot. I'm assuming that's why a via Richmond never existed for the 59. it's a noble idea tho. definitely works for the s89

The SI Mall's official address is 2655 Richmond Avenue, so while it's not traveling down Richmond Avenue itself, it's traveling on private roads that provide easier access to the mall. The detour to the Yukon Depot (which I think should be abolished, especially northbound, and even southbound once they build that island bus stop for the S79 at Yukon) is for a short distance overall. That's like saying the S62 shouldn't say "via Victory" because it spends a few blocks down Bay Street.

Port Richmond Avenue was originally called Richmond Avenue, so the S59 is as close to a full-length Richmond Avenue route as you're going to get.

1 hour ago, EastFlatbushLarry said:

i always wondered why the q54 didn't at minimum display via metro, but after the reroute to atlas park mall, i see where via metro won't work. i guess a via atlas park mall could work, i just don't know how necessary it would be 

Same thing. At the end of the day, if you're trying to get from one part of Metropolitan to another, the bus you take will most likely be the Q54.

7 minutes ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

The SI Mall's official address is 2655 Richmond Avenue, so while it's not traveling down Richmond Avenue itself, it's traveling on private roads that provide easier access to the mall. The detour to the Yukon Depot (which I think should be abolished, especially northbound, and even southbound once they build that island bus stop for the S79 at Yukon) is for a short distance overall. That's like saying the S62 shouldn't say "via Victory" because it spends a few blocks down Bay Street.

Port Richmond Avenue was originally called Richmond Avenue, so the S59 is as close to a full-length Richmond Avenue route as you're going to get.

Same thing. At the end of the day, if you're trying to get from one part of Metropolitan to another, the bus you take will most likely be the Q54.

i understand. it might be nit picking or a bit of a rigid stance but if the point is to be as accurate as possible while giving a brief description of the route traveled (especially in certain areas where people are such "literal Larry's/Linda's" these days) then that was my original point of view.

22 minutes ago, Q43LTD said:

Keep this up. This is giving me ideas for when I revamp my sign code list. For the B38, I would add via DeKalb and via Lafayette. Maybe add some for the B48

i agree with the dekalb/Lafayette addition to the b38 wholeheartedly. i totally forgot about the 38. 

Archived