How are readings programmed to allow customers to understand where buses are going?

Lawrence St

31 minutes ago, EastFlatbushLarry said:

i agree with the dekalb/Lafayette addition to the b38 wholeheartedly. i totally forgot about the 38. 

Also, can they have a variant of the SBS signs where the destination sign is in a purple background and flashes LIMITED twice, like the SBS signs?

33 minutes ago, JeremiahC99 said:

Also, can they have a variant of the SBS signs where the destination sign is in a purple background and flashes LIMITED twice, like the SBS signs?

Can't. Not all buses have multi-colored signs installed on them.

I do find it weird when I see an intersection as the destination. I’d like to see the neighborhood on it too. Q24 used to have “Bushwick Van buren st.” Now it has “Lafayette ave & patchen ave.” 

15 minutes ago, XBht26 said:

I do find it weird when I see an intersection as the destination. I’d like to see the neighborhood on it too. Q24 used to have “Bushwick Van buren st.” Now it has “Lafayette ave & patchen ave.” 

I would like to see the name of the school for school trippers instead of some intersection.

1 hour ago, XBht26 said:

I remember a few as well:

The S51 used to display “LINCOLN AV” on top with “RICHMOND RD” on the bottom before “GRANT CITY”.

The B26, B52, and B54 currently say “RIDGEWOOD TERM” when they used to show “RIDGEWOOD WYCKOFF AV” (“PALMETTO ST” for the B52)

On 6/16/2018 at 8:34 PM, Lawrence St said:

Why doesn’t the Bx9 have any via signage at all? I get that it doesn’t stay on one road east of 225th St, but “via Broadway” should at least be mentioned.

There's your answer. You could do via Broadway and maybe via Fordham Rd. 

9 hours ago, S78 via Hylan said:

I remember a few as well:

The B26, B52, and B54 currently say “RIDGEWOOD TERM” when they used to show “RIDGEWOOD WYCKOFF AV” (“PALMETTO ST” for the B52)

At least now with the B26, B52, B54 they all have via their respective streets. 

B26: Ridgewood Term via Halsey

B52: Ridgewood Term via Gates

B54 Ridgewood Term via Myrtle. 

However, yes the above is correct.  

On 6/15/2018 at 9:00 AM, Lil 57 said:

S53 to say "Via Broadway/Via Clove Road" 

^ This one is what I think should be there for the 53.

Besides that, I don't really know why they cut out the via 86 reading for the B1; I thought it was better signed that way to reflect that the B1 runs mainly on 86 Street in Brooklyn.

For the Bx36, since it goes to two other places besides Olmstead in Soundview, they should do the readings like this:

Bx36: via Washington Bridge - West Farms Square

Bx36: via West Farms Square - Grant Circle

The Bx36 reading "via West Farms Square/Grant Circle" should be used for all runs to Olmstead, including their LIMITED runs over there.

Only the return run to GW Bridge should have the "via Grant Circle/West Farms Square" reading, including their LIMITED runs; the Grant/174 reading should be combined on the Horizon and MegaMax destination signs for the 36, without needing a via designation. Displaying "Washington Heights" completely as is should also be for the local, when the LIMITED displays this completely.

There is a way to do the uptown Riverdale reading for the Bx7. Since it runs via Henry Hudson Parkway and Riverdale Avenue, its safe to sign it like that in addition to its destination.

The Bx18 sign should be signed like this; due to the 18 mainly running on Macombs:

Bx18: via Macombs Rd - Tremont William Howard Taft

Bx18: via Macombs Rd - River Park Towers

The Bx3 ought to have a via University Avenue/Broadway designation in both directions, since it is the University Avenue via Broadway line. But those are just my own thoughts regarding how the signs on some bus routes should be displayed.

On 6/15/2018 at 9:00 AM, Lil 57 said:

I'll add the...

- S53 to say "Via Broadway/Via Clove Road"

- S44/S94 LTD to say "Via Cary-Post Ave/Via Richmond Ave"

- S54 to say "Via Manor Road/Via Giffords Lane"

- S56 to say "Via Woodrow Road/Via Foster Road"

- S57 to say "Via Bradley-Brielle Ave/Via Rockland Ave"

- S52 to say "Via New Brighton/Via Tompkins Ave"

- S42 to say "Via Brighton Ave/Via Lafayette Ave"

- S79 SBS to say "Via Hylan Blvd/Via Richmond Ave" In Both directions

- S55 to say "Via Annadale Road/Via Bloomingdale Road" In Both directions

You can walk the length of the S53 along Broadway (I used to walk from Castleton to the YMCA on a regular basis, and Broadway ends a few blocks south of there). Putting Cary-Post on the S44/94 or Bradley-Brielle on the S57 is just pointless (the S57 is one of the most meandering routes in the city). The S56 along Woodrow Road is a walkable distance, as is the S42 along both Brighton Avenue & Lafayette Avenue.

I'll put it to you this way, the S93 used to say "via Clove/via Victory" and they removed the "via Clove" part. I think the more pressing issue than the signage is the fact that these routes meander so much in the first place. 

Just a thought:

Why not retrofit bus stop signs instead like this? Seems like it'd be more useful for wayfinding... (Olympic is actually Olympic Boulevard. Los Angelenos don't say street type unless it's a numbered street or Avenue, Main Street, or it has the same name as a freeway - Ventura Boulevard.)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Metro_Bus_Stop_Sign.jpg

On 6/14/2018 at 11:18 AM, Dan1 said:

The S57 used to display 'S57 New Dorp' which was slightly confusing. Most Staten Islanders associate 'New Dorp' with the New Dorp Lane shopping area. The S57 currently displays 'S57 New Dorp Mill Road' which while not totally accurate as the S57 actually terminates on Ebbitts Avenue between Hylan Blvd & Mill Road (across from where the new Shop-Rite is under construction) , is less vague than the old 'S57 New Dorp' display. IIRC the X2 and X3 still display only 'New Dorp' though they terminate at Mill Road & Tysens Lane. Most SI local buses still display the neighborhood of destination not the actual street name.

Also if you look at the SI bus map, it shows the S57 terminal on mill road with the X2/3/9 buses. They should change it on the map and the destination sign say,

"New Dorp/Ebbitts St"

On ‎6‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 8:28 PM, Lil 57 said:

I would like to see the name of the school for school trippers instead of some intersection.

Best you're going to see is the name of some college on a destination sign... HS', JHS', and elementary schools, forget it....

30 minutes ago, S78 via Hylan said:

I think it’s more helpful than just “Jamaica”.

Not really. I think Jamaica LIRR Station suffices. Nothing more than yelling, "Hey we're buses from Flushing that connect to service to JFK"

Archived