MTA to begin retiring MetroCards in May 2019

On 6/17/2018 at 12:42 AM, bobtehpanda said:

The original Metrocard was called Metrocard Gold, so this actually is not the craziest idea.

Actually, "metrocard gold" was when they switched the color scheme and started allowing on-card bus-subway transfers. The original metrocards were gold text on blue field. 

I imagine Bee Line bus in Westchester and NICE in Nassau will eventually follow suit if they are not part of the full city rollout. It'd be nice to see something truly usable within the PATH system as well, but I don't see that happening right away.

22 hours ago, Lance said:

I imagine Bee Line bus in Westchester and NICE in Nassau will eventually follow suit if they are not part of the full city rollout. It'd be nice to see something truly usable within the PATH system as well, but I don't see that happening right away.

Speaking of the path system and the (MTA)... they really should create a free transfer between the 2 with these new payment methods considering the price for these fares ....they have free transfers to everything else around them  except path...

15 minutes ago, biGC323232 said:

Speaking of the path system and the (MTA)... they really should create a free transfer between the 2 with these new payment methods considering the price for these fares ....they have free transfers to everything else around them  except path...

Yep. I have a meeting tonight in Weehawken. I asked my boss for $60.00 for each meeting. She's like where are your meetings that you need $60.00 per meeting? I'm like Weehawken and I'm taking cabs with things i have to take with me to and from Port Authority to the office, plus the fare for NJ Transit. Once she heard that she pretty much gave up. lol Every time I go there even if I'm taking the PATH train I can't use my unlimited express bus pass. I have to buy a separate pay-per-ride Metrocard.

6 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Yep. I have a meeting tonight in Weehawken. I asked my boss for $60.00 for each meeting. She's like where are your meetings that you need $60.00 per meeting? I'm like Weehawken and I'm taking cabs with things i have to take with me to and from Port Authority to the office, plus the fare for NJ Transit. Once she heard that she pretty much gave up. lol Every time I go there even if I'm taking the PATH train I can't use my unlimited express bus pass. I have to buy a separate pay-per-ride Metrocard.

I know exactly what you mean prices have just risen and still on the rise...I have 2 kids in Jersey City and the price to go see them now (let alone bring them back with me)  is flat out insane....Path turnstiles allow you to use the (MTA) cards...So by now in my opinion especially the way they raiseing fares they should have been came up with a way to make a free transfer between the 2 considering how close the path is to the subway...

14 minutes ago, biGC323232 said:

I know exactly what you mean prices have just risen and still on the rise...I have 2 kids in Jersey City and the price to go see them now (let alone bring them back with me)  is flat out insane....Path turnstiles allow you to use the (MTA) cards...So by now in my opinion especially the way they raiseing fares they should have been came up with a way to make a free transfer between the 2 considering how close the path is to the subway...

I just find the whole thing inconvenient and annoying. If you're taking Metrocards for PATH, why not take all of them? It's not a commuter rail. It's basically a subway. Tonight I need tickets for the bus to and from Weehawken and I'll take the subway going to Weehawken to reach Port Authority. I have a tight timeline so the fewer tickets I have to get the better. I'd use the NJ Transit app but the last time I needed it, the damn ticket wouldn't activate. I would say NJ Transit needs to get it together too.

1 hour ago, N6 Limited said:

If you use a PPR card on PATH, then the Port Authority gets their money. If you use an Unlimited, then the MTA and PANYNJ has to make an agreement on to how that would work.

NICE and Bee Line have the necessary agreements. Doesn't seem far-fetched for the Port Authority to have one as well.

1 hour ago, P3F said:

NICE and Bee Line have the necessary agreements. Doesn't seem far-fetched for the Port Authority to have one as well.

And thats exactly the point im trying to make...I mean path and the subway gets good transfers between each other...For crying out loud path maps on there cars now have the subway tranfers listed on the maps at each station and the subway announce path transfer point....:huh:

6 hours ago, P3F said:

4 hours ago, biGC323232 said:

And thats exactly the point im trying to make...I mean path and the subway gets good transfers between each other...For crying out loud path maps on there cars now have the subway tranfers listed on the maps at each station and the subway announce path transfer point....:huh:

I think there are a much higher number of transfers from PATH, and the PANYNJ & NYCT/MTA don't want to lose revenue.  The money that one would spend on both monthlies or whatever would disappear and be shared by both agencies.

-------

On a side note, maybe the new fare system will be integrated with PATH and NJT.

I know it's much easier to drive around the country when a lot of East Coast states use E-Zpass for tolls. (The only slick thing about it now is that their discounts are reserved for accounts opened in their respective states. So theoretically you can get all the E-Zpass discounts as you travel from state to state but you'd have to have a tag for each state!)

Archived