If you could create/change any bus line NJT edition

* If I could create a route, it would be a Plainfield - Perth Amboy route....

* If I could alter a current route, it would be the #815... Service north of Perth Amboy would be discontinued...
(the aforementioned Plainfield-Perth Amboy route would serve the area b/w Perth Amboy & Woodbridge Ctr. Mall)

14 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

* If I could create a route, it would be a Plainfield - Perth Amboy route....

* If I could alter a current route, it would be the #815... Service north of Perth Amboy would be discontinued...
(the aforementioned Plainfield-Perth Amboy route would serve the area b/w Perth Amboy & Woodbridge Ctr. Mall)

The 819 basically is two separate routes, so perhaps you could extend the Metuchen Branch to Perth Amboy (via Woodbridge).

The only thing I would do is swap the weekday patterns of the Metuchen and South Planfield buses within Plainfield. The South Plainfield buses would go to Piscataway (like on Saturdays) while the Metuchen buses would terminate around Plainfield R.R station. There's no suitable turnaround over there by East Front Street, but if there were, I would run the buses up to East Front as well.

I would split the 317.  Have it terminate in Lakewood.  Then have a new route 839 bus (by TransDev )take care of the Shore Points from Lakewood on up to Asbury Park.  The 317 route is long enough. 

Also I would have the 406 split trips between Newton Avenue and Washington Twp.  The 406 covers a chunk of Cherry Hill and Marlton and connects with mainly Newton Avenue routes.  Although it is nice to see the new 18000s on that route (especially in East Camden which is NABI territory;) The 406 is not a very long distance route that requires so many MCI buses especially during the week when they are back to back. 

I would also split the 455 between the 2 garages.  The Southern End covers a lot of Gloucester County which is Turnersville ( Washington Twp) territory.  And on Sundays, Turnersville should definitely do that route since it only serves between Paulsboro and Deptford Mall.   

Here's a no-brainer idea which makes perfect sense:. I'd have the outbound 190's use the same routing as the 191/192/195 from Route 3 into Lyndhurst (Rutherford Avenue) instead of Barrows Avenue.  It would then simply make the right onto Orient Way and then regular route.  There's absolutely no reason for the 190 to go the way it currently does in the outbound direction, and every reason for it to use the Rutherford Avenue routing; namely the popular tourist stop at Polito Avenue.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/18/2018 at 8:38 AM, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

The 819 basically is two separate routes, so perhaps you could extend the Metuchen Branch to Perth Amboy (via Woodbridge).

The only thing I would do is swap the weekday patterns of the Metuchen and South Planfield buses within Plainfield. The South Plainfield buses would go to Piscataway (like on Saturdays) while the Metuchen buses would terminate around Plainfield R.R station. There's no suitable turnaround over there by East Front Street, but if there were, I would run the buses up to East Front as well.

I'd want no part of extending the 819 to Perth Amboy... If I were to consider extending the current route anywhere, it would be to MCC from NJT Metuchen.... There's a significant demand for that connection b/w the RR station & the campus, and (IMO) the #813 isn't enough (especially with the backtracking that route does).....

Be there as it may, you're right that the #819 is 2 routes under one umbrella (so to speak) - which is something I've been thinking about changing for some time now..... You wouldn't have known this, but the Plainfield-Perth Amboy route I'm proposing, would cover parts of the #819..... To sum it up, I would do away w/ the Metuchen branch - but still have buses running to Metuchen.... Here's how:

"816": Plainfield - Perth Amboy (both links lead to the same map)
819:  Piscataway/Plainfield - Metuchen

Archived