The XN60s are now pounding the pavement officially...

The Real

Very nice! Love how everything is captured around the bus. I miss driving those XN’s @ WF! Are they going to be on the 12sbs until they get the 6sbs issues figured out?

18 minutes ago, Ty24 said:

Very nice! Love how everything is captured around the bus. I miss driving those XN’s @ WF! Are they going to be on the 12sbs until they get the 6sbs issues figured out?

It looks like that's what they're doing. They don't want the buses just sitting around.

3 hours ago, paulrivera said:

This was a nice surprise!

i wonder why they sent it over to the Bx12 instead of keeping it at WF for like a Bx15 or Bx36 run?

Maybe so they dont have to run the older 2012 LFSAs buses as much. 

4 hours ago, The Real said:

It looks like that's what they're doing. They don't want the buses just sitting around.

Excellent pictures. 

4 hours ago, paulrivera said:

This was a nice surprise!

i wonder why they sent it over to the Bx12 instead of keeping it at WF for like a Bx15 or Bx36 run?

Didn’t know that WF had a rush hour Bx12 run. 

3 hours ago, Future ENY OP said:

Excellent pictures. 

Didn’t know that WF had a rush hour Bx12 run. 

218's a regular run tho...

My educated outside guess: GH is running way short on either buses or drivers because I've been noticing bigger gaps in Bx12 service (local and SBS) than the norm this week. The Orchard shuttle service has been almost non-existent also from what I've seen on Twitter.

3 minutes ago, paulrivera said:

218's a regular run tho...

My educated outside guess: GH is running way short on either buses or drivers because I've been noticing bigger gaps in Bx12 service (local and SBS) than the norm this week. The Orchard shuttle service has been almost non-existent also from what I've seen on Twitter.

It's a combination of two things.

Extra Bx12 service for the summer, and that they don't want these buses sitting around at WF while the Bx6 SBS issues continue(safety concerns with these buses and such).

4 hours ago, junjun441 said:

Great pictures and a great surprise!

Sorry for my ignorance, but what safety issues are ongoing with SBS Bx6?

The union is having issues with these buses being on the Bx6, particularly around the Macombs Dam Bridge, as there are really tight turns that could cause the artics to hit cars.

3 hours ago, Cait Sith said:

The union is having issues with these buses being on the Bx6, particularly around the Macombs Dam Bridge, as there are really tight turns that could cause the artics to hit cars.

That bridge is a big safety problem. Imagine the artic on there when there is a Yankee game trying to maneuvering around would be so impossible. The motorist don’t even give way when your driving a forty footer

I don’t know if this makes sense but, Why not just run the Artics between Yankee Stadium(River Ave) to Hunts Point. And have the XN40s (SBS) takeover from Yankee Stadium to Riverside Drive. When I use to do the Bx6 the bulk always seem to get off at Yankee Stadium. Then again plenty of people do get on at 158th/Broadway heading towards Hunts Point. 

16 hours ago, Cait Sith said:

Doesn't the articulated bus have a tighter turning radius than a standard bus? Shouldn't tighter turns be easier?

4 hours ago, Gotham Bus Co. said:

Doesn't the articulated bus have a tighter turning radius than a standard bus? Shouldn't tighter turns be easier?

For that particular area, yes and no.

The turns in question, the 40ft buses are barely able to make them.

23 minutes ago, Cait Sith said:

The turns in question, the 40ft buses are barely able to make them when there's available space.

Also the main problem with artics is how they swing out from the rear. I’ve seen a lot livery cab drivers have accidents that way... especially on the Bx9 225th street and Broadway NE corner.

11 hours ago, Cait Sith said:

The turns in question, the 40ft buses are barely able to make them.

The X60 has the exact 44-degree turning radius as the XN40, so the ability to make the turn and make it safely is a bunch of nonsense. The union decided to battle this AFTER the buses were assigned and with little information. D60s have occasionally popped up on Bx6 runs and have made that turn with zero issues. In fact the XN60 drives exactly like a D60! There are far worse turns on lines that use artics.

Archived