Ceiling Collapses At Borough Hall Subway Station

CTK246

I don't think they've done anything there at that station in a while. With Clark St out of service every weekend since last June, there would not have been any opportunity as (4) and (5) service needed to run. Also, not for nothing, but Borough Hall always reminds me of a shooting range what with the various holes in the tiles there. According to the Capital Program dashboard, they're supposed to do some water remediation project there starting next year. Let's see if it gets pushed forward or if they turn this into 181 Street-lite.

17 hours ago, RR503 said:

Yup. Was just there. Trains flagging through in both directions (n/b not stopping). But damn...

URu9C35.jpg

This is what happens with against infrastructure. Problem here is that Borough Hall is a major throughfare station. Closing it for any extended time would reek havoc.  Hopefully, this could get fixed soon. 

Why? That station has looked bad for quite some time now, especially in comparison to the platforms for the Clark St branch. There has also been some serious structure degradation because of the ever-present water leaks. The MTA has been punting this issue, to the point where the structure cannot sustain the weight load and thus this happened, just as was the case with the ceiling at 181 Street.

As for Chambers St, I wouldn't be surprised, which is likely why they are finally addressing the issues plaguing that station.

On 6/21/2018 at 8:14 PM, TheNewYorkElevated said:

It feels like a matter of time before the ceilings at Chambers Street of the (J)and (Z) face the same fate. 

It already has - parts of the ceiling have already fallen off, with some areas exposing the steel beams the concrete once covered. A good chunk of concrete debris fell down as recent as 2017 (I can't remember exact date and didn't stop to take a picture); it fell onto the non-revenue track next to the southbound platform.

Archived