Plans move forward for LaGuardia AirTrain

GojiMet86

My proposals for any line to LGA whether bus, train, or AirTrain:

Option 1: LaGuardia Link (N) train 

This option is obviously the best. The NIMBYs only won the battle in 2003 because the city was in dire need post-9/11 and needed funds to repair Lower Manhattan infrastructure. However, it's still worth considering it despite those NIMBYs. It will allow for a very fast commute to Midtown, even moreso than a two-legged transfer. The (N)(W) will both be extended to LGA, allowing a proper connection from the airport to Manhattan.

Option 2: Casey Stengel Bus Terminal

Besides the subway, buses will also do good. I fully agree with @LGA Link N train's proposed Casey Stengel Terminal. It will even do more good than this AirTrain (which would close the depot for absolutely no reason) and would improve the current inefficient bus terminal layout in Flushing. In this case, all of the buses that terminate in Flushing will all be diverted to the terminal, while the Q25/Q34, Q44 SBS, and Q65 will have some short-turns that will terminate there. 

Option 3: Having the AirTrain go to Long Island City

This option would make the AirTrain run via the BQE to Roosevelt Av, then follow the LIRR Main Line to Long Island City. Stops will be at LGA, Roosevelt, Woodside, Sunnyside, Hunterspoint Av, and finally LIC. It would do more by bringing it closer to Manhattan, but (N) to LGA is still the better option. 

Option 4: Extending the (M) to LGA 

This is the most craziest option out of all of them. The (M) would continue as-is to Roosevelt, but would stop on the upper level of Roosevelt and from there, run via 41st Av, 83rd Av and the GCP to LGA. It will mostly parallel the existing Q70 route and since it would be underground, it won't face as much opposition. However, it'll be the most expensive, and would cut service to the more busier QBL local stops east of Roosevelt, as they would only have the (R). But since terminal capacity at Forest Hills is freed up, it means that the (G) could be thrown into the mix (not going to dive anymore deeper into that). 

Just now, TheTerrificTTrain said:

I don't want to sound idiotic, but I'm new here, so...

who are NIMBYs?

Put simply, NIMBYs are Not In My Back Yard (people of a community) that oppose any development of sorts be its transport, or new housing or what have you. They oppose these developments for fear it will ruin their homes, community, or in some cases force higher rents and therefore force out residents. 

19 minutes ago, TheTerrificTTrain said:

I don't know, the Triboro RX to me just sounds like a waste of money, if you wanted to get to the Bronx from Brooklyn you could always take the D, 2, 4, 5, or 6. The LGA AirTrain is different.

It is true that going from the Bronx to Brooklyn is fairly direct, and doesn’t require the Triboro RX. However going from Queens is a different story. It is quite difficult to get from the Bronx to Queens via transit and going from Brooklyn to Queens is fairly indirect as well, at least between some places. The Triboro RX would make those kinds of trips easier. Even if only the part from Queens to Brooklyn is built, it would still help.

35 minutes ago, TheTerrificTTrain said:

I don't know, the Triboro RX to me just sounds like a waste of money, if you wanted to get to the Bronx from Brooklyn you could always take the D, 2, 4, 5, or 6. The LGA AirTrain is different.

1 minute ago, TheTerrificTTrain said:

Ok, I agree with you on going from the Bronx to Queens. But from Brooklyn to Queens you can take the (A)(F)(G)(J)(M)(N)(R)(W) sometimes, and (Z) .

RX is to directly connect areas that would require long trips through Manhattan, and I think it could help improve conditions in ENY and Canarsie as residents will have a greater job market. If lets say I live in Ridgewood and get a job offer in central-south Brooklyn, I'd have to take the (M) to Myrtle, (J) to Broadway Junction, (C) to Franklin, (S) to Prospect, and then take the (B)(Q) or take the (A)  instead of the (C) to Jay for the (F) to 4th Av and then take the (R) to the (D) or (N) .

5 minutes ago, TheTerrificTTrain said:

Ok, I agree with you on going from the Bronx to Queens. But from Brooklyn to Queens you can take the (A)(F)(G)(J)(M)(N)(R)(W) sometimes, and (Z) .

True but this will be more direct. It will connect many neighborhoods directly, and will allow people to avoid going through Manhattan, or using the (G) , which is a bit indirect and lacks connections.

On 7/9/2018 at 5:40 PM, TheTerrificTTrain said:

The LGA AirTrain is just a big waste of money. Of course, we all know that, but I'd like to propose some solutions. My solution would be to extend the AirTrain via the Grand Central Parkway West and Brooklyn Queens Expressway West to Roosevelt Avenue and at Roosevelt Avenue, the track would split up, and one branch would head east via Roosevelt Avenue to 74th Street - Broadway and the other branch would head west, also via Roosevelt Avenue, to Woodside. At Woodside, passengers could take the LIRR to Penn Station, providing fast and easy access to Midtown Manhattan, or Jamaica to transfer to a train heading to Long Island or Atlantic Terminal, as opposed to taking a Port Washington train from Mets - Willets Point and making endless transfers. Plus, from Woodside, Grand Central is only 9 stops away on the (7) line (and 5 stops away on the <7> line), while from Mets - Willets Point, Grand Central is 17 stops away on the (7) line (and 7 stops away on the <7> line). At 74th Street - Broadway, aka Jackson Heights - Roosevelt Avenue, you could transfer to the (E) (F) (M) (R) and (7) trains, providing easy and affordable access to Midtown Manhattan, Lower Manhattan, Coney Island, Brooklyn, Eastern Queens, and everywhere else in the city thanks to transfers. Although it may be a little costly to build a new hub in the middle of Roosevelt Avenue (which is very crowded), it would eventually pay itself off with a projected annual ridership of 7,300,000, which would result in $36,500,000 in revenue per year. It would pay itself off in less than 15 years!      

The fatal flaw in this plan is that it isn't an AirTrain to Willets Point.  (When politicians dabble in urban planning, the solution always come before the problem.)

thinking like a business traveler why would i take a longer route to go back to the airport, if im coming from the CBD i would want a quicker route idk why are they ignoring the (N) and (W) extension  is he taking money in the pocket for this so he can try and develop willets point?

39 minutes ago, BreeddekalbL said:

thinking like a business traveler why would i take a longer route to go back to the airport, if im coming from the CBD i would want a quicker route idk why are they ignoring the (N) and (W) extension  is he taking money in the pocket for this so he can try and develop willets point?

If he wanted to develop Willets Point then a Bus Terminal would've been much more logical than an AirTrain

20 minutes ago, LGA Link N train said:

If he wanted to develop Willets Point then a Bus Terminal would've been much more logical than an AirTrain

A bus terminal doesn't make sense either. Most buses heading to Flushing do so from north, south, or east.

A bus terminal in Flushing West or in Willets Point would actually be harder for most buses to serve.

Archived