Jump to content


Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
Deucey

655am; Ferry leaves at 7. What does the S52 driver do at Bay/Slosson?

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Sometimes depending on how the bus is signed up, the bus won't come up on BusTime.

Usually, if the bus is signed up in the wrong direction (i.e. a Bricktown Mall bound S78 signed up as a St. George bound S78) BusTime would show the correct direction regardless what the destination sign is. Speaking of the S78, on weekdays when no buses are scheduled to short-turn at Richmond Av, some S78 buses have their destination sign signed up to say "Richmond Av" even though on BusTime the bus comes up as a "Bricktown Mall" bound bus. (Most of the time this happened when Yukon was covering a trip on the S78.) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, Lawrence St said:

Aren't most of the LTD's in one direction only?

Only the S81 LTD, S84 LTD, and S86 LTD are PM rush only.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

(they still have to deadhead from the West Shore Plaza so it's more expensive overall because they made the extra trip, but the ratio of deadhead:revenue miles (or hours) is lower overall, and the passengers get better service.

Just make Meredith into a full-time local and express depot. The S46/96 end less than a block from Meredith and the S62/S92 are also pretty close to Meredith from Travis.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Lil 57 said:

At St. George, There are;

- 8 Castleton routes (13 if you count the LTDs)

- 3 Yukon routes (6 if you count the LTDs)

- 2 Charleston routes (3 if you count the LTDs)

In total, 8/13 (13/22 if you count the LTDs) routes are Castleton, so there are more Castleton routes at St. George than Yukon and Charleston combined.

What about dispatch. Does it come out of Castelton, Yukon or Charleston? or it’s mixed?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Future ENY OP said:

What about dispatch. Does it come out of Castelton, Yukon or Charleston? or it’s mixed?

I'm not sure about that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Lil 57 said:

Only the S81 LTD, S84 LTD, and S86 LTD are PM rush only.

That's dumb, why are they only PM routes?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Lawrence St said:

That's dumb, why are they only PM routes?

I'm not sure, they should have AM too.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's also crazy that they punish drivers for being early but they pad the schedules so much to improve "on time" performance. Then turn around and say "omg ridership is dropping!  We need congestion pricing!"

 

On 6/26/2018 at 10:18 AM, Deucey said:

I'll be recording next - especially when they do 15 mph to kill time.

That's so irritating. I hope they realize that these things also cause drops in ridership. They can blame "traffic" all they want, but when the B/O is purposely driving slow and purposely stopping at Green and Yellow signals, and making no effort to get some yardage then they have to look in the mirror. 

 

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Lil 57 said:

The S52 is a Castleton route, so dispatch is from Castleton.

The dispatchers on the road belong to Road Ops. They don't particularly come from one depot. Plus as we all know, you don't have to physically be at a location to monitor the OTP of a particular bus. You can still get written up for running hot and never see someone. So while St. George may not bother (or even notice), the dispatcher on post at Bay/Victory, will and will do something about it.

1 hour ago, Lil 57 said:

Just make Meredith into a full-time local and express depot. The S46/96 end less than a block from Meredith and the S62/S92 are also pretty close to Meredith from Travis.

Meredith is just a parking lot, so there's no turning it into a full blown depot, unless its moved somewhere else.

1 hour ago, Lawrence St said:

That's dumb, why are they only PM routes?

 

1 hour ago, Lil 57 said:

I'm not sure, they should have AM too.

 

They're not needed in the AMs. Ridership is light (idk bout the 74) during the AM rush and traffic flows pretty well except for the usual bottlenecks.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, SevenEleven said:

Meredith is just a parking lot, so there's no turning it into a full blown depot, unless its moved somewhere else.

My Idea is to expand Meredith to a full-size depot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Lawrence St said:

That's dumb, why are they only PM routes?

Basically, limited-stop service needs to meet a certain frequency threshold (in terms of buses per hour) to operate. The S51, S74, and S76 don't meet those thresholds, but the thing is that PM ridership is concentrated at the times the ferries arrive, whereas AM ridership is more spread out. So in the PM rush, instead of having two locals handle the crowds getting off the ferry, they took one of those locals and turned it into a limited.

Before a route becomes a limited, they generally prefer that it operate on 5 minute headways (so that when they divide it between the local and limited, they each get 10 minute headways). In the AM rush, the routes tend to run every 8-10 minutes (which means local service would operate every 16-20 minutes).

The S90 and S96 used to also be PM-only limiteds until ridership grew to the point where they added AM service.

I think a small part of it might also have to do with the fact that they expect a lot of people to use the express bus in the AM rush because it's quicker, but save their money in the PM rush going home. Of course, with the X18 being eliminated (the S74/76 especially have a lot of their ferry-bound ridership concentrated north of the SIE. The S51 a little less so because it's further from the SIR once you're south of the SIE), that's getting to be less of the case (as a matter of fact, the S74 & S78 recently had some trips added towards the ferry in the AM rush due to complaints about overcrowding). 

The S84 especially I think it poorly set up. It seems as if they're expecting people to use it like some type of super-express to the ETC or something, when in reality, most of the ridership is on the North Shore (for those heading to the ETC, it's quicker to take an actual SIR express over to Eltingville and catch the S59/79/89 up to the ETC if you parked your car there or whatever). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

The S90 and S96 used to also be PM-only limiteds until ridership grew to the point where they added AM service.

Speaking of the S96, Why is Brighton Av served only in the AM rush but not the PM rush?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Lil 57 said:

Speaking of the S96, Why is Brighton Av served only in the AM rush but not the PM rush?

I.S.61 kids

Technically, it's a timepoint, even though it's not an official stop. I remember some B/O sitting there and not letting a guy on who was waiting (and the stupid thing was that the timepoint marker for the S96 was across the street according to BusTime). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, checkmatechamp13 said:

I.S.61 kids

Technically, it's a timepoint, even though it's not an official stop. I remember some B/O sitting there and not letting a guy on who was waiting (and the stupid thing was that the timepoint marker for the S96 was across the street according to BusTime). 

For some reason, the Brighton Ave stop is shown on BusTime on the westbound S96 even though it doesn't stop there.🤣

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

Basically, limited-stop service needs to meet a certain frequency threshold (in terms of buses per hour) to operate. The S51, S74, and S76 don't meet those thresholds, but the thing is that PM ridership is concentrated at the times the ferries arrive, whereas AM ridership is more spread out. So in the PM rush, instead of having two locals handle the crowds getting off the ferry, they took one of those locals and turned it into a limited.

Before a route becomes a limited, they generally prefer that it operate on 5 minute headways (so that when they divide it between the local and limited, they each get 10 minute headways). In the AM rush, the routes tend to run every 8-10 minutes (which means local service would operate every 16-20 minutes).

The S90 and S96 used to also be PM-only limiteds until ridership grew to the point where they added AM service.

I think a small part of it might also have to do with the fact that they expect a lot of people to use the express bus in the AM rush because it's quicker, but save their money in the PM rush going home. Of course, with the X18 being eliminated (the S74/76 especially have a lot of their ferry-bound ridership concentrated north of the SIE. The S51 a little less so because it's further from the SIR once you're south of the SIE), that's getting to be less of the case (as a matter of fact, the S74 & S78 recently had some trips added towards the ferry in the AM rush due to complaints about overcrowding). 

The S84 especially I think it poorly set up. It seems as if they're expecting people to use it like some type of super-express to the ETC or something, when in reality, most of the ridership is on the North Shore (for those heading to the ETC, it's quicker to take an actual SIR express over to Eltingville and catch the S59/79/89 up to the ETC if you parked your car there or whatever). 

So each of these routes you mentioned are limited versions of their local counterparts?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

The S84 especially I think it poorly set up. It seems as if they're expecting people to use it like some type of super-express to the ETC or something......

Lol....

My vantage point though, is of a broader spectrum - I personally never cared for the model of using LTD service as commuter locals....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Without getting into it much I'm a SI BO, and we are only allowed 2 minutes hot before getting trouble, and no way am I ever running into the ferry hotter than 2 minutes as there is supervison there 24/7, 

 

If it makes missing the boat it is what it is, some runs aren't scheduled to make a boat either.

 

I had a run for awhile that was scheduled to get to the terminal at 06:01,

Sometimes you have to just drive slow or eat a few lights to get back onto schedule

Hell no we don't do it to inconvenience you or punish you, you think we want to be in that bus any longer than you? No way hombre.

Edited by trife86
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/26/2018 at 9:12 AM, Deucey said:

It's the latter. We asked why he stopped and his reply was some crap about the bus being early and having broken parts.

That's why I got off and snapped his control ID and tweeted it. If only I knew Andy Byford's Twitter and was confident I'd get his attention...

So You put this man job at risk?!?!?!?!?! Not Cool!

Smh This bullshit happened to me before... a Assenger reported my hard stops on the train via Twitter. But she didn't know what was wrong with the train or what was going on! Just tried to put me on blast! Thank god i Logged that trip in and reported it to the RCI because days later the superintendent came bothering me about that trip!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, I Run Trains said:

So You put this man job at risk?!?!?!?!?! Not Cool!

Smh This bullshit happened to me before... a Assenger reported my hard stops on the train via Twitter. But she didn't know what was wrong with the train or what was going on! Just tried to put me on blast! Thank god i Logged that trip in and reported it to the RCI because days later the superintendent came bothering me about that trip!

If it's a choice between his job and mine, since I don't see B/Os sacrificing their jobs for me...

Problem is ultimately that the rule is beyond stupid and inconveniencing the folks who make his job possible - the fare payers. And there's a simple way to fix it on the buses - stop scheduling trips to arrive right as the ferry leaves when it could arrive right before, and adjust the "Are you on time" measurement to not base it on the end of a run. (I put in earlier how it'd be "smarter" to use points midway through the route instead of penalizing for arriving at terminals 2 minutes early, since that inconveniences US more than TA - especially when buses are running every 10 minutes during 15 minute ferry service).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Deucey said:

If it's a choice between his job and mine, since I don't see B/Os sacrificing their jobs for me...

Problem is ultimately that the rule is beyond stupid and inconveniencing the folks who make his job possible - the fare payers. And there's a simple way to fix it on the buses - stop scheduling trips to arrive right as the ferry leaves when it could arrive right before, and adjust the "Are you on time" measurement to not base it on the end of a run. (I put in earlier how it'd be "smarter" to use points midway through the route instead of penalizing for arriving at terminals 2 minutes early, since that inconveniences US more than TA - especially when buses are running every 10 minutes during 15 minute ferry service).

SO!!!!! If the B/O is DOING HIS JOB, How is HE inconveniencing the folk that makes his job possible?!?!?! Blame TA for that!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Deucey said:

If it's a choice between his job and mine, since I don't see B/Os sacrificing their jobs for me...

Problem is ultimately that the rule is beyond stupid and inconveniencing the folks who make his job possible - the fare payers. And there's a simple way to fix it on the buses - stop scheduling trips to arrive right as the ferry leaves when it could arrive right before, and adjust the "Are you on time" measurement to not base it on the end of a run. (I put in earlier how it'd be "smarter" to use points midway through the route instead of penalizing for arriving at terminals 2 minutes early, since that inconveniences US more than TA - especially when buses are running every 10 minutes during 15 minute ferry service).

I wouldn't even bother with this guy.  This is an example of why ridership continues to decline.  What I find funny is this is something that the union (if they really gave a damn about riders) could speak up about, but they won't.  They'll yell about safety, but they won't say a damn thing about how they can make the passenger experience better. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

I wouldn't even bother with this guy.  This is an example of why ridership continues to decline.  What I find funny is this is something that the union (if they really gave a damn about riders) could speak up about, but they won't.  They'll yell about safety, but they won't say a damn thing about how they can make the passenger experience better. 

I knew yo miserable ass would comment! Mr Anti MTA, But still ride it and complain everyday about something! 

P.S. i get holding Lights Everyday On My (1) trips! you should praise me for being on time to get you to your miserable job so you can come on here and complain about my co workers! lol!

  • LMAO! 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

I wouldn't even bother with this guy.  This is an example of why ridership continues to decline.  What I find funny is this is something that the union (if they really gave a damn about riders) could speak up about, but they won't.  They'll yell about safety, but they won't say a damn thing about how they can make the passenger experience better. 

Oh and you want a better experience?!?!?!? GET A CAR AND DRIVE TO WORK!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, I Run Trains said:

I knew yo miserable ass would comment! Mr Anti MTA, But still ride it and complain everyday about something! 

P.S. i get holding Lights Everyday On My (1) trips! you should praise me for being on time to get you to your miserable job so you can come on here and complain about my co workers! lol!

Plenty of people have cars.  It's simply unfeasible for everyone to drive into Manhattan to work.  You don't even make any sense.  My job isn't the problem. It's miserable (MTA) workers like you that the (MTA) needs to get rid of!! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.