655am; Ferry leaves at 7. What does the S52 driver do at Bay/Slosson?

Deucey

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Damm. Staten Island b/o being ultra petty. SMDH.  I guess he didn’t mention the fact he was running hot and the dispatcher would chew him up once he arrived at St. George. 

The last time that happen to me was with a Ulmer Park operator. We left New Lots (3)(4) than once the bus got to Canarsie (L) we sat at Rockaway for about 15 mins all b/c he ran hot and this was a late night. 

If it were the middle of the route, okay...

But you're given 5 minutes either way to be considered on time, so if you're supposed to arrive at 7:02, why are you tripping at arriving at 6:58? (Won't get into the nonsense that (MTA) feels that it's smart scheduling to have the damn bus arrive at 7:02 am - two minutes after the ferry leaves...)

The normal B/O will get us there at 6:58/59 every day she runs the route - because she actually gives enough of a damn to make sure we all get the best shot to get on the yacht before the doors close. But for some reason, these male B/Os regularly find ways to screw that up - and give zero effs about whether we're inconvenienced.

Only one more year of this shuffle. Bx or Bk, I'm on my way...

7 minutes ago, Deucey said:

But you're given 5 minutes either way to be considered on time, so if you're supposed to arrive at 7:02, why are you tripping at arriving at 6:58? (Won't get into the nonsense that (MTA) feels that it's smart scheduling to have the damn bus arrive at 7:02 am - two minutes after the ferry leaves...)

The normal B/O will get us there at 6:58/59 every day she runs the route - because she actually gives enough of a damn to make sure we all get the best shot to get on the yacht before the doors close. But for some reason, these male B/Os regularly find ways to screw that up - and give zero effs about whether we're inconvenienced.

Maybe he's a rookie, or maybe he's truly a jerk. Can't say I'm shocked.

8 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Maybe he's a rookie, or maybe he's truly a jerk. Can't say I'm shocked.

It's the latter. We asked why he stopped and his reply was some crap about the bus being early and having broken parts.

That's why I got off and snapped his control ID and tweeted it. If only I knew Andy Byford's Twitter and was confident I'd get his attention...

7 minutes ago, Deucey said:

It's the latter. We asked why he stopped and his reply was some crap about the bus being early and having broken parts.

That's why I got off and snapped his control ID and tweeted it. If only I knew Andy Byford's Twitter and was confident I'd get his attention...

Might as well since you had another 15 minutes do burn. You're too close to the ferry to have to take the express bus too.

3 minutes ago, RailBus63 said:

If you have to catch the 7:00 a.m. ferry, why not just take the S52 trip that arrives at 6:52 and save yourself the rush?  

Taking an earlier bus is a great idea. That's going off of the assumption that the bus comes on time, otherwise you just left earlier for nothing. I used to do all of that. Eventually I got sick of leaving earlier with the same result and switched to the express bus.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

53 minutes ago, RailBus63 said:

If you have to catch the 7:00 a.m. ferry, why not just take the S52 trip that arrives at 6:52 and save yourself the rush?  

That could of been the 6:52 bus. However, the driver was being a douche about the time situation he f**ked up everyone else’s commute just to please the dispatcher or what have you. 

A normal operator wouldn’t do that at all. Either that op doesn’t have pull yet to run hot and getting OK from dispatch. I’m in agreement with @Deucey. Just glad you got his ID. 

1 minute ago, Future ENY OP said:

That could of been the 6:52 bus. However, the driver was being a douche about the time situation he f**ked up everyone else’s commute just to please the dispatcher or what have you. 

A normal operator wouldn’t do that at all. Either that op doesn’t have pull yet to run hot and getting OK from dispatch. I’m in agreement with @Deucey. Just glad you got his ID. 

Every time I grab the ID.

Now it's stills. I got one more year in Shaolin; I'll be recording next - especially when they do 15 mph to kill time.

6 minutes ago, Future ENY OP said:

I assumed it's the trip due to arrive at 7:02 since the OP referred to this in their second post.

I'm also hesitant to blame the BO without knowing the facts - perhaps they were previously disciplined for arriving early.  

3 minutes ago, RailBus63 said:

I assumed it's the trip due to arrive at 7:02 since the OP referred to this in their second post.

I'm also hesitant to blame the BO without knowing the facts - perhaps they were previously disciplined for arriving early.  

Copy copy. Here’s my thing. If you have a good reputation with the dispatcher especially it’s from the depot of origin (i dunno the dispatch at St. George but I’m assuming the dispatch is from Yukon) 

I know that when I was taking the bus i would see certain B6 ops get the OK from the dispatcher sitting on Glenwood and Nostrand to leave a few mins early. I believe at the time the dispatch was Flatbush based and he also looked out a lot during the AM rush via the B41/44/103 at Junction. The Spring Creek dispatch traveled between checkpoint and junction. 

3 hours ago, Deucey said:

Can I just say your username is hilarious lmao.

Also, this happened to me on the 7 bus in Westchester. Dude was running 20 minutes late as it is and once we got 4 stops to Getty Square, he pulled the bus over and waited and I screamed at him as to why he was stopping (I already missed the first train to GCT I wasn't going to miss the second) and he told me to sit my ass down and he'll move when he wants. So what did I do? There was a supervisor hanging around Gerry Square who I knew so I went to him and told him about the problem. Didn't see the driver again after that.

You have as many b/o's that are playing too many games out here.... I'm not shocked in the slightest...

3 hours ago, Deucey said:

This agency simply does not care about the riding public.... As long as you're within city confines & have to rely these buses & trains, it won't make a lick of difference if you run up/move out to the Boogie Down like VG8 did, or swing up one borough where I'm at up in Brooklyn....

2 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

This agency simply does not care about the riding public.... As long as you're within city confines & have to rely these buses & trains, it won't make a lick of difference... 

It doesn't, but my commute is a tad shorter now.  I can't imagine myself living out there now. I'm sure it takes a lot longer to get in.  More people, Vision Zero, etc., etc.

10 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

They have BusTime to give them real time information to adjust the schedules.  I don't know why they aren't using it.

They *are* going to adjust the runtimes for the BxM routes for the summer (It's mostly faster runtimes.) I don't know if that's new or not but any change for the better that the (MTA) makes tends to be slow and methodical.

13 minutes ago, paulrivera said:

They *are* going to adjust the runtimes for the BxM routes for the summer (It's mostly faster runtimes.) I don't know if that's new or not but any change for the better that the (MTA) makes tends to be slow and methodical.

They always do that, but they didn't provide a Spring schedule yet for the Riverdale express bus lines, which is odd, and yes it's usually for faster run times, especially now with school being out.  On Staten Island though, the drivers don't seem to know what a schedule is. It's rather funny that the driver actually held the bus for being early. I can't tell you how many times I took car service for the X10 and had to RUN out of the car because the bus was almost 15 minutes early reaching Slosson Avenue.  When you file a complaint on the local buses, the driver will adjust for the first day, then proceed to go back to his usual routine of running hot.  The buses are generally not that frequent to begin with, so having to wait for a bus and not know if it's going to be 10 minutes early or 10 minutes late is really annoying.  Going back to Staten Island, especially on Sundays, after we got service bump ups to every 20 minutes, it never failed. The bus I would get was always 20 minutes late, which basically eroded the service bump we got.  It was a constant complaint of mine. 

52 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

They have BusTime to give them real time information to adjust the schedules.  I don't know why they aren't using it.

If they allow more time for the trip, that means that they have to pay us.
If they cut the time down, then Zerega is gonna come down on the operators for running and gunning it. (Zerega has been "drive safe" since Day 1)

Both of these are the problem. TA doesn't want to pay us and one part of the company is advertising "Hey, faster rides" meanwhile Zerega is punishing us if god forbid we run a yellow light.

@Deucey I'm sorry that this happened to you. Hopefully it's not a repeat occurrence. They allow us 2 mins to be early and they are strict with schedule adherence in the AMs. I got called one time for being 2 mins hot, just because my leader was up the block from me. I'm not saying that this is the case here. A lot of operators do some fugazy stuff that makes all of us look bad.

8 minutes ago, SevenEleven said:

If they allow more time for the trip, that means that they have to pay us.
If they cut the time down, then Zerega is gonna come down on the operators for running and gunning it. (Zerega has been "drive safe" since Day 1)

Both of these are the problem. TA doesn't want to pay us and one part of the company is advertising "Hey, faster rides" meanwhile Zerega is punishing us if god forbid we run a yellow light.

I'm not saying either. I think they can adjust the schedule without either occurring. If there are sections where the B/O has to hold on a regular basis, then obviously there's too much run time, and it's something I've filed complaints about many times because they really have no excuse now.  They have real time data to see just exactly what buses are doing. It seems to be a problem on many routes across the system.  I've seen instances where there's something like 5 minutes to go two or three stops with low usage which is absurd.  That 5 minutes can be cut down to 3 minutes and you take that 2 minutes and put it where it's needed.  Do that with other stops and your problem is solved.

5 minutes ago, SevenEleven said:

...@Deucey I'm sorry that this happened to you. Hopefully it's not a repeat occurrence. They allow us 2 mins to be early and they are strict with schedule adherence in the AMs. I got called one time for being 2 mins hot, just because my leader was up the block from me. I'm not saying that this is the case here. A lot of operators do some fugazy stuff that makes all of us look bad.

On the one hand, I don't blame the driver since I know the labor end of bad management when I see it.

On the other hand, if this driver wanted to sit and wait at the stop I got on at - Hamilton/Egmont, because he was hot, I could understand that (Sacramento RT does that). 

But this dude stops literally 1500 feet from the Ferry when we all could've been on the yacht at 7. He was being petty AF making us late. 

2 minutes ago, Deucey said:

On the one hand, I don't blame the driver since I know the labor end of bad management when I see it.

On the other hand, if this driver wanted to sit and wait at the stop I got on at - Hamilton/Egmont, because he was hot, I could understand that (Sacramento RT does that). 

But this dude stops literally 1500 feet from the Ferry when we all could've been on the yacht at 7. He was being petty AF making us late. 

It also seems as there are politics involved.  I've had B/Os literally shut off the bus and sit and tell us that they're running hot so we have to sit there, while others run hot by precisely the same amount of time.  It seems like if you're in with management, you get a pass, otherwise all B/Os would be doing the same thing.