More Cuts to Queens Express Bus Service

Via Garibaldi 8

1. QM2 cuts

QM2: Two trips cut. No more 22:00 to Manhattan, and no more 00:00 to Bay Terrace

QM2 Summer Schedule: http://web.mta.info/busco/schedules/qm002cur.pdf

2. QM5 & QM6 cuts

QM5: No more 22:00 to Manhattan

QM6: No more 22:30 to Manhattan

QM5 & QM6 Summer Schedule: http://web.mta.info/busco/schedules/qm001cur.pdf

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

4 minutes ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

Last Bus of the day on the QM2 cut? 

The QM2 has actually been losing ridership for whatever reason. IDK how those trips perform now, but sucks that that trip is cancelled. Amazing how there's also no notice anywhere else. 

Yeah I used to take the QM2 during the week at night for shopping in Whitestone, but they keep cutting the damn trips, so I stopped that.  Really disturbing. I predict more cuts because people don't speak up out there. I mean are they all driving or what?  I don't know when the express bus restructure will happen for Queens, but at this rate they won't have much left by the time it happens.  That bus had good usage too (that last QM2).

The QM2 has been losing ridership because of the Tunnel work, but also because of horrible back-ups since they re-routed it along Central Park South.  When trafic is really bad, it can take a good 20 minutes to get through those last two stops. I remember being able to run and catch the bus on 59th because traffic was so bad that I outwalked the bus.

Wow that really sucks not having a midnight bus makes make it annoying for anyone who wants to stay late.

5 minutes ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

Last Bus of the day on the QM2 cut? 

The QM2 has actually been losing ridership for whatever reason. IDK how those trips perform now, but sucks that that trip is cancelled. Amazing how there's also no notice anywhere else. 

The QM2 honestly has to be the worst line running out of CP, late missing buses all the time, I'm not surprised people stop riding it. 

Crappy service was why I stopped riding it ... I opt for the QM4 or Union Tpk nowadays.

Edited by IAlam

Of course they still have the bizarre timepoints on Saturdays where they think it takes 25 minutes to go from 34th to 57 in early evening on the QM5/6. 

And these cuts come after my state reps finally wrote the letters I had been bugging them to write to the MTA asking them not to cut more 1/5/6 runs. So much good that did...

I also have to say that I've been taking the QM4 recently, and boy are those BP B/Os sooo much friendlier than CP B/Os. CP could learn a lesson from BP. At least the CP runs I take have been more reliable as of late 

1 hour ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

It's also interesting how the QM4 hasn't been touched at all, despite it having the lowest ridership, and emptier buses of the full-time Queens express buses. Teflon Don much?

I’m sure it’s only a matter of time before the QM4 is touched. With the renaming of the 3rd Ave variants the MTA can closely see how well trips are performing. If these QM express routes were apart of NYCT bus there would definitely be lots of cuts and changes made. 

5 hours ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

I’m sure it’s only a matter of time before the QM4 is touched. With the renaming of the 3rd Ave variants the MTA can closely see how well trips are performing. If these QM express routes were apart of NYCT bus there would definitely be lots of cuts and changes made. 

The peak QM4s I see heading into the city seem pretty full during rush hour. 

2 hours ago, IAlam said:

It only peak buses that carry people outside of that it becomes your personal taxi.

Ahh, got it. 

Meanwhile, traffic is gridlocked in Midtown today for a funeral and of course there are no MTA alerts about it. My B/O happened to know about it but was like "oh, I didn't think there would still be traffic from it." 

6 hours ago, IAlam said:

It only peak buses that carry people outside of that it becomes your personal taxi.

A personal taxi is basically how it is on the weekends. Even at around 7 and 8pm after rush hour the QM4 doesn’t do too bad. However I feel like tons of people over the years have shifted over to the Q64 and or other modes of transportation. 

7 minutes ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

A personal taxi is basically how it is on the weekends. Even at around 7 and 8pm after rush hour the QM4 doesn’t do too bad. However I feel like tons of people over the years have shifted over to the Q64 and or other modes of transportation. 

Other modes of transportation? Please. You mean Uber.  It's not like there's a subway to choose from.  The QM4 serves mainly areas AWAY from the subway, so it's either the Q64 to the subway or they're driving or taking Uber.  The QM4 should be left alone and if anything make more stops along Queens Blvd.  I think it's enough with cutting express bus service.  It's not that so many people are switching over. It's that it's hard to justify $6.50 when your bus is constantly late or a no-show. That doesn't mean that you cut service.  You have buses run on-time.

Queens is very car centric, which is the real problem, and the (MTA) is just cutting whatever and getting away with it as a result. People don't give a damn out there. They run to their cars like the world is going to come to an end.  It's almost as bad as Staten Island with that.

6 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Other modes of transportation? Please. You mean Uber.  It's not like there's a subway to choose from.  The QM4 serves mainly areas AWAY from the subway, so it's either the Q64 to the subway or they're driving or taking Uber.  The QM4 should be left alone and if anything make more stops along Queens Blvd.  I think it's enough with cutting express bus service.  It's not that so many people are switching over. It's that it's hard to justify $6.50 when your bus is constantly late or a no-show. That doesn't mean that you cut service.  You have buses run on-time.

Queens is very car centric, which is the real problem, and the (MTA) is just cutting whatever and getting away with it as a result. People don't give a damn out there. They run to their cars like the world is going to come to an end.  It's almost as bad as Staten Island with that.

Along with adding Queens Blvd Stops, I'd justify extending it to at least 188th St and 69th Av so that the QM5 can just skip the loops.

9 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Well yeah Uber, carpooling and driving is what I meant by other modes of transportation.

The MTA has to do a better job of making express bus service more attractive to people. It’s bad enough public transportation in NYC gets a lot of bad rep and cutting service doesn’t make matters any better. I actually took the QM4 for the first time from the city to my house about 3 months ago and I really enjoyed the comfort and speed of the ride. It definitely beats waiting for the (E) or (F) to the Q64. The problem with it is that even though I like the express service and want more people to take it, the only issue is waffordability. I feel like express service should have off peak and or weekend discounts like the LIRR. Yes I understand that they are two different modes of transportation and one covers more distance than the other but essentially they are similar in the fact that they both are offering a premium service. The LIRR during off peak hours is cheaper than during rush hours. If you are traveling within the city on the weekends you also get the benefit of being able to purchase a city ticket which is $4.25. While I think the MTA could do a better job promoting it, the primary purpose of offering this discount is to encourage more city residents to use the LIRR and in return residents can get  to their destination quicker. 

I’m not saying that express service needs to have the two types of discounts, but I feel at least having a discounted fare on the weekends would help improve ridership on many express routes. The subways often face construction and delays on the weekends and the discount would help out many. 

If the QM4 did have stops on Queens Blvd, I don’t think it would see much usage unless it was during off peak hours and or weekends with a discount. I think with the current $6.50 price many people would think it’s not worth the price given the close proximity of Queens Blvd (between 69th Road and Woodhaven Blvd) to the city.

29 minutes ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

If the QM4 did have stops on Queens Blvd, I don’t think it would see much usage unless it was during off peak hours and or weekends with a discount. I think with the current $6.50 price many people would think it’s not worth the price given the close proximity of Queens Blvd (between 69th Road and Woodhaven Blvd) to the city.

I disagree. Woodhaven Boulevard is a PITA to get to, especially during weekends when its on the (R). The QM4 would serve areas that just have the (R) along Queens Boulevard. Any QBL rider knows how much of an issue weekend and evening construction. Rego Park and Forest Hills have the money too, so if buses made stops, you would see them get on.

With the current resources, more ridership is better than no additional ridership gains. The QM4 could use it. IDK how much longer it'll retain its current trips. The last time they cut QM trips (before this one that will take effect Monday), the QM4 also retained all its trip. Don't know what the deal, whether its a political thing or not.

Hopefully the Queens Express bus system can be revamped when the MTA looks to modernize it (but even then, we should remain cautious).

4 hours ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

I disagree. Woodhaven Boulevard is a PITA to get to, especially during weekends when its on the (R). The QM4 would serve areas that just have the (R) along Queens Boulevard. Any QBL rider knows how much of an issue weekend and evening construction. Rego Park and Forest Hills have the money too, so if buses made stops, you would see them get on.

With the current resources, more ridership is better than no additional ridership gains. The QM4 could use it. IDK how much longer it'll retain its current trips. The last time they cut QM trips (before this one that will take effect Monday), the QM4 also retained all its trip. Don't know what the deal, whether its a political thing or not.

Hopefully the Queens Express bus system can be revamped when the MTA looks to modernize it (but even then, we should remain cautious).

The QM4 is out of BP now and they don't have many express bus routes, so that may have something to do with it. In other words union issues perhaps.

5 hours ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

Well yeah Uber, carpooling and driving is what I meant by other modes of transportation.

The MTA has to do a better job of making express bus service more attractive to people. It’s bad enough public transportation in NYC gets a lot of bad rep and cutting service doesn’t make matters any better. I actually took the QM4 for the first time from the city to my house about 3 months ago and I really enjoyed the comfort and speed of the ride. It definitely beats waiting for the (E) or (F) to the Q64. The problem with it is that even though I like the express service and want more people to take it, the only issue is waffordability. I feel like express service should have off peak and or weekend discounts like the LIRR. Yes I understand that they are two different modes of transportation and one covers more distance than the other but essentially they are similar in the fact that they both are offering a premium service. The LIRR during off peak hours is cheaper than during rush hours. If you are traveling within the city on the weekends you also get the benefit of being able to purchase a city ticket which is $4.25. While I think the MTA could do a better job promoting it, the primary purpose of offering this discount is to encourage more city residents to use the LIRR and in return residents can get  to their destination quicker. 

I’m not saying that express service needs to have the two types of discounts, but I feel at least having a discounted fare on the weekends would help improve ridership on many express routes. The subways often face construction and delays on the weekends and the discount would help out many. 

Well it's difficult. They keep raising the fares on express buses and a lot of people (especially the elderly) were pissed that they had to wait longer to get their discount and not pay $6.50. I certainly get their point. They're on fixed incomes in some cases, so they of all people should get the discount at all times. It is something I may pitch in fact to some elected officials. If the City can subsidize Metrocards for the poor then surely something can be done to aid the elderly who have EARNED their keep working for years.

I know one thing. I don't think the base fare should be raised, or if it is in 2019, it shouldn't be more than $7.00 one way. $14.00 round trip when people are losing service is absurd.

8 hours ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

Yes I totally understand how much of a hassle the Queens Blvd line is on the weekends. All this non stop construction just about every week causes a lot of slowdown and annoying backtracking. However while express service would be good for those going to the city, it does nothing for the people who are staying along Queens Blvd. The Q60’s are often packed on the weekends as a result of that. The Q60 is unreliable too, and bunches like crazy so it’s not even a good alternative. This is why they need to be smarter and implement more short turns and possibly boost service on the (R)

Even if people in Forest Hills and Rego Park have money I would still provide a discount on the weekend for express service as an alternative to the unreliable subway. Routes like the QM4 would overall see an overall boost in ridership where some riders who would take the local counterpart to the subway will have the option to not deal with the subway. I thinks it’s a win-win overall. 

Also if Rego Park residents have money for the express bus why is the ridership on the QM10/QM11/QM40 low. I know there are several trips that get good usage but it should ideally see better usage. 

25 minutes ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

Yes I totally understand how much of a hassle the Queens Blvd line is on the weekends. All this non stop construction just about every week causes a lot of slowdown and annoying backtracking. However while express service would be good for those going to the city, it does nothing for the people who are staying along Queens Blvd. The Q60’s are often packed on the weekends as a result of that. The Q60 is unreliable too, and bunches like crazy so it’s not even a good alternative. This is why they need to be smarter and implement more short turns and possibly boost service on the (R)

Even if people in Forest Hills and Rego Park have money I would still provide a discount on the weekend for express service as an alternative to the unreliable subway. Routes like the QM4 would overall see an overall boost in ridership where some riders who would take the local counterpart to the subway will have the option to not deal with the subway. I thinks it’s a win-win overall. 

Also if Rego Park residents have money for the express bus why is the ridership on the QM10/QM11/QM40 low. I know there are several trips that get good usage but it should ideally see better usage. 

The QM10 is really for Le Frak City, and that whole complex is going through its own thing. Rego Park has alternatives like the QM15 which is what many use. Forest Hills uses their express buses so that isn't an issue. Le Frak City is a planned community like Parkchester and Co-op City, hence the expresses bus to serve the community. The problem with the QM10/QM40 branches is they survive mainly due to ridership from Forest Hills and then Rego Park. They couldn't survive with just Le Frak City alone.

1 hour ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

Yes I totally understand how much of a hassle the Queens Blvd line is on the weekends. All this non stop construction just about every week causes a lot of slowdown and annoying backtracking. However while express service would be good for those going to the city, it does nothing for the people who are staying along Queens Blvd. The Q60’s are often packed on the weekends as a result of that. The Q60 is unreliable too, and bunches like crazy so it’s not even a good alternative. This is why they need to be smarter and implement more short turns and possibly boost service on the (R). 

Who said making stops along Queens Boulevard would help riders only going along Queens Boulevard? That's not the group of people being targeted in the first place at all.

1 hour ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

Because over there, the QM12 and QM18 are the ones which people are going to. The QM12 is more frequent than the QM10 in the morning, and doesn't have to go through LeFrak City and Corona before getting on the expressway. The QM18 also goes directly to Manhattan from Rego Park. The QM10's ridership in the AM is basically from Corona and LeFrak, which isn't enough.

It's more spread out in the PM among the three, but that is where most people get on QM10's on a more consistent basis. Nobody from LeFrak is really riding the thing, so you only have the limited amount of people going to Rego Park stops in the PM.

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

I tried to catch the midnight QM2 three weeks ago and of course the bus was nowhere to be found twenty minutes after it was supposed to be running as I was waiting at the 6th and 41st , not showing up on the tracker either.  I know late night B/Os love to play games so I just figured I missed the bus and didn't want to take a $60 uber back to Whitestone I had to wind up taking the 7 train and then uber home from Flushing anyway.  Of course, as I'm back in Queens on the 7, I see that I didn't miss the bus, it's just that the midnight guy was like 35 minutes late.  

I'm also surprised that drivers stay on Northern Boulevard off peak, after 8pm the lights on Northern are no way in sync and you wind up stopping about every 3 blocks at a red light, making these trips way longer than they need to be.  It's a shame they don't let B/Os take more liberties, especially once traffic dies down around 7pm, to go down 2nd avenue and take the tunnel.

Some drivers head down and take the tunnel.  I've had some 8 PM hour buses that flip down to the tunnel and take the SX route or even keep going on the GCP.

It is a shame they got rid of that 00:00 run for the QM2, since it was a good late bus to catch if I was hanging out in the city late at night.  Now the latest bus option is the 23:30 QM20 and that's it.  I don't think too many people will miss the late hour runs from Bay Terrace back into the city.  I took a 7:30PM QM20 once into the city and there were only 3 people heading in, including myself.

Another major problem is that advertisement of express buses is, IMO, pretty poor. I lived next to the X68 for years, but I couldn't tell you where it went or what time they showed up. Likewise, it's not totally apparent that an express bus makes only limited-stop spacing in the outer boroughs, and if you didn't know that you'd probably ask yourself why you'd pay more than a double fare for a scenic tour of Queens.

Like, you can't tell me that what the express buses are doing is immediately apparent:

Xt8mJWE.png

This issue is being exacerbated as demographics change, old residents move out and new residents move in. New residents often do not know what express buses are, and don't have the means to easily find that out.

8 hours ago, 7-express said:

Some drivers head down and take the tunnel.  I've had some 8 PM hour buses that flip down to the tunnel and take the SX route or even keep going on the GCP.

It is a shame they got rid of that 00:00 run for the QM2, since it was a good late bus to catch if I was hanging out in the city late at night.  Now the latest bus option is the 23:30 QM20 and that's it.  I don't think too many people will miss the late hour runs from Bay Terrace back into the city.  I took a 7:30PM QM20 once into the city and there were only 3 people heading in, including myself.

18 hours ago, ViaWaterViaChurch said:

I tried to catch the midnight QM2 three weeks ago and of course the bus was nowhere to be found twenty minutes after it was supposed to be running as I was waiting at the 6th and 41st , not showing up on the tracker either.  I know late night B/Os love to play games so I just figured I missed the bus and didn't want to take a $60 uber back to Whitestone I had to wind up taking the 7 train and then uber home from Flushing anyway.  Of course, as I'm back in Queens on the 7, I see that I didn't miss the bus, it's just that the midnight guy was like 35 minutes late.  

I'm also surprised that drivers stay on Northern Boulevard off peak, after 8pm the lights on Northern are no way in sync and you wind up stopping about every 3 blocks at a red light, making these trips way longer than they need to be.  It's a shame they don't let B/Os take more liberties, especially once traffic dies down around 7pm, to go down 2nd avenue and take the tunnel.

I have a question for both of you. Will either of you write your elected officials demanding that the service be restored? It is absolutely absurd that you guys accept such service and remain quiet. This would never fly in other communities. Two people that actually use trips that are cut, and all they say is it's a shame that they were cut like you're powerless. You guys work and pay taxes towards the service.

6 hours ago, bobtehpanda said:

Another major problem is that advertisement of express buses is, IMO, pretty poor. I lived next to the X68 for years, but I couldn't tell you where it went or what time they showed up. Likewise, it's not totally apparent that an express bus makes only limited-stop spacing in the outer boroughs, and if you didn't know that you'd probably ask yourself why you'd pay more than a double fare for a scenic tour of Queens.

Like, you can't tell me that what the express buses are doing is immediately apparent:

Xt8mJWE.png

This issue is being exacerbated as demographics change, old residents move out and new residents move in. New residents often do not know what express buses are, and don't have the means to easily find that out.

It's true and they just run to the subway, no matter how difficult their commute is.