More Cuts to Queens Express Bus Service

Via Garibaldi 8

On 7/3/2018 at 10:53 PM, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

That's the trick. They have to keep a certain number of trips, but they can be deadhead trips, so in this case, the (MTA) still pays the driver, but they deter any QM20 ridership, this way they can justify ending service at the time that they do going back to Bay Terrace.  I don't see them chopping any further at night, but they may start chipping away at midday service. Notice how I asked TWO QM2 riders why they weren't writing their elected officials on this very board, and neither of them had anything to say other than it's a shame.  Are you kidding me? I'd be filing complaints and on my elected officials @sses to restore that bus to Bay Terrace and get the one back to Manhattan too, but the residents don't give a damn, so they keep cutting service even though it's them getting screwed!  This is a prime example of communities not speaking out against these cuts and letting the (MTA) do as they please.  I would be all for circulating a petition, but I'm not going to waste my time with communities that don't stand up and fight for what is theirs.  

Maybe the residents don't care because they don't actually ride those trips.

7 minutes ago, Gotham Bus Co. said:

Far from it. But that is not the topic of this thread.

Well you just answered your question... :D I was going to suggest cutting that bus that she takes since you insist upon suggesting that other peoples' services be cut and then imply that it must be due to a lack of ridership.  <_< The 00:10 to Bay Terrace saw good usage, just like your wife's bus sees good usage.

To be fair I and the community around the QM4 would probably be more pissed if that route got cut. I've long since abandoned the QM2 because of all the BS that occurs on that line. The problem starts at the depo where the route is based out of.

• 4 years later...
On 7/3/2018 at 1:12 PM, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

While this is true, the real question is who would use the QM3 off-peak?  You haven't really answered that question. In Riverdale, it's the seniors going to shop, going to Lincoln Center and so on, and then you have a lot of other people that work different hours.  Early in the morning it's the Irish guys in the construction field taking the BxM1 down, then we have students who live in Riverdale that go to schools in Manhattan AND students that live in Manhattan that go to the private schools in Riverdale taking the express buses and those who work in those schools, so there's a constant stream of people using the express bus.  The buses are generally not packed to the rafters off-peak, but there's definitely enough ridership to sustain the levels of service currently provided.  In fact you'd be surprised at how crowded the 06:45 and 07:15 BxM1 buses to Riverdale are.  Having used them regularly they get very good loads.

Also remember that the Riverdale lines have lost A LOT of ridership over the years, but still there's enough people using the buses that exist to keep them.  I'm not so sure who the ridership base would be for the QM3 off-peak.  I've used the QM2 off-peak to go shopping in Whitestone and there aren't that many people using those buses. To go to Manhattan you'll get good loads, but not necessarily going to back to Bay Terrace.

The areas of Northeast Queens are mainly residential with not enough destination spots IMO to draw other riders.  Riverdale has the private colleges, Columbia University buildings, Wave Hill and the general neighborhood to draw from to maintain good off-peak usage.

My take on this is that the (QM3) should operate from 6:00 AM to 9:00 AM with 30 minute headways towards Midtown, Manhattan and from 5:00 PM to 8:00 PM with 30 minute headways towards Little Neck, Queens. (QM3) should also operate via the LIE and the Van-Wyck in both directions.

Westbound trip times: 6:00, 6:30, 7:00, 7:30, 8:00, 8:30, 9:00
Eastbound trip times: 5:00, 5:30, 6:00, 6:30, 7:00, 7:30, 8:00

I also believe that there should be special (QM3) service between Midtown Manhattan and Citi Field during Mets games and the US Open. These trips times would vary based off the start and end times of Mets games and the US Open.