More Cuts to Queens Express Bus Service

Via Garibaldi 8

4 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

It's true and they just run to the subway, no matter how difficult their commute is.

This is not necessarily true; the Chinatown vans to Flushing and Elmhurst are an unmitigated success, and if anything they have even less information available and the fare policy is less friendly ($3 cash only IIRC). The difference is that everybody in Flushing and Elmhurst who is Chinese talk to each other a lot, and the Chinatown vans are highly visible within their communities. When I lived in Queens, I saw an X68 a total of maybe three times in my entire 10+ years of living there.

12 hours ago, bobtehpanda said:

This issue is being exacerbated as demographics change, old residents move out and new residents move in. New residents often do not know what express buses are, and don't have the means to easily find that out.

Exactly.  The people living in any neighborhood now are not necessarily the same people who lived there 50 years ago. They might not be going to the places where the express buses go, and/or they might not be able to afford the fare.

Assuming that travel patterns will always remain the same is unrealistic and irresponsible, yet people do that all the time.  (ATU Local 1056 once tried to file a grievance against the MTA's ridership data because the passengers "weren't riding correctly" — that went nowhere fast.)

The main thing I see driving people away in Queens in money. Before we even look at the service provided by these buses off-peak, no one wants to pay more than double for the express bus. At that rate, they'd chip in the extra dollar for the LIRR. For the areas without LIRR service, Express buses are not much faster than taking a local bus and the subway. This is especially true going to Queens, why the hell would anyone want to pay $6.50 to have a longer ride. Most of the time these buses are barely keeping up with local trains. There's only one benefit for Queens riders when it comes to express buses and it's convenience. 

9 hours ago, bobtehpanda said:

This is not necessarily true; the Chinatown vans to Flushing and Elmhurst are an unmitigated success, and if anything they have even less information available and the fare policy is less friendly ($3 cash only IIRC). The difference is that everybody in Flushing and Elmhurst who is Chinese talk to each other a lot, and the Chinatown vans are highly visible within their communities. When I lived in Queens, I saw an X68 a total of maybe three times in my entire 10+ years of living there.

Many Queens neighbourhoods have other non-MTA bus services going everywhere. When it comes to going to Manhattan, the QM3 has 3 buses a day and bypasses the downtown Flushing area. Meanwhile, there are china town buses for $3 that run all day, and as stated above there is practically no public info on these buses. My friends know about that service really well but barely know about how express buses work. I recall one friend asking me if they accept MetroCards. Want to go from Flushing or NE Queens to downtown, tough luck there are no express buses nor is there LIRR service to Atlantic. Additionally, there is a van service to Roosevelt Field Mall, which for some reason neither NICE nor the MTA has done anything to meet that demand. Most people wanting to do that use Q27 to the n22/24. Even locally there no bus from Flushing to QCM even though there is high demand for that. 

My suggestion if the MTA wants to fix their express bus network, they should only focus on express buses going to Manhattan. They should focus on buses connecting outside city centres to one another, I can see places like Downtown Brooklyn, Williamsburg, Coney Island (Summers), Long Island City, Fordham, Pelham Bay/Co-op City, Flushing, Jamaica, and Eltingville/SI Mall all being important Express bus hubs connecting to one another.   

The MTA needs to do a lot better with express bus service in Queens, but they know they can take advantage of the situation. The QM3 at one point operated all day on weekdays, but that was cut. You can claim duplication to the LIRR, but I find that to be more of an excuse. At the very least, run the QM3 all day on weekdays. If routes like the BxM4 and BxM1/BxM2 can exist in our system on a full-time basis, so can the QM3. I'd argue the QM3 has more going for it than the BxM4.

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

2 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

The Q58 connects Flushing and the Queens Center Mall, it doesn't directly pass the mall but it only stops a couple blocks away.

You're underestimating how long that walk is. It's a couple of blocks from the Queens Place Mall, but then you have to walk a few more blocks down to get to the main entrance of Queens Center Mall. 

To put it into perspective, that walking distance is greater than that by walking on Queens Boulevard between Woodhaven Boulevard & 63 Drive.

24 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

The Q58 connects Flushing and the Queens Center Mall, it doesn't directly pass the mall but it only stops a couple blocks away.

That a subway station away, it is not a close walk on top of that, you then have to go through Elmhurst and Corona.

23 minutes ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

The MTA needs to do a lot better with express bus service in Queens, but they know they can take advantage of the situation. The QM3 at one point operated all day on weekdays, but that was cut. You can claim duplication to the LIRR, but I find that to be more of an excuse. At the very least, run the QM3 all day on weekdays. If routes like the BxM4 and BxM1/BxM2 can exist in our system on a full-time basis, so can the QM3. I'd argue the QM3 has more going for it than the BxM4.

The QM3 would have way more going for it if it was a Downtown bus over a Midtown bus, but even the Midtown buses have decent loads so idk what's going on with that route.

2 hours ago, IAlam said:

Many Queens neighbourhoods have other non-MTA bus services going everywhere. When it comes to going to Manhattan, the QM3 has 3 buses a day and bypasses the downtown Flushing area. Meanwhile, there are china town buses for $3 that run all day, and as stated above there is practically no public info on these buses. My friends know about that service really well but barely know about how express buses work. I recall one friend asking me if they accept MetroCards. Want to go from Flushing or NE Queens to downtown, tough luck there are no express buses nor is there LIRR service to Atlantic. Additionally, there is a van service to Roosevelt Field Mall, which for some reason neither NICE nor the MTA has done anything to meet that demand. Most people wanting to do that use Q27 to the n22/24. Even locally there no bus from Flushing to QCM even though there is high demand for that. 

My suggestion if the MTA wants to fix their express bus network, they should only focus on express buses going to Manhattan. They should focus on buses connecting outside city centres to one another, I can see places like Downtown Brooklyn, Williamsburg, Coney Island (Summers), Long Island City, Fordham, Pelham Bay/Co-op City, Flushing, Jamaica, and Eltingville/SI Mall all being important Express bus hubs connecting to one another.   

Traveling throughout Queens by bus takes so long. I really wish all the subway lines that were planned to be built like the Horace Harding line, the Hillside Ave Extension, the extension of the (E) or (J) through south eastern Queens and others. For instance the MTA would tell you that to get to QCM from Flushing you have a few options. The MTA would claim that people from Flushing can take the (7) to the (M) or (R) , the Q58 to the (M) or (R) and or the Q20/Q44 or Q58 to the Q88. That’s already two transfers and suppose you didn’t live in Flushing or off those routes. Your commute can become easily an hour and driving it may only take 15-20 minutes to reach your destination. That is why I hope the redesigning of the bus network is taken seriously. 

The Queens express bus network is outdated itself as I think not all QM buses should serve 3rd or 6th Aves. Perhaps there should be routes that run to 14th and 23rd Street or Midtown West. 

I like the idea of connecting major centers together in the outer boroughs. I think a express route from Jamaica to the Bronx could work, it would definitely be faster than the Q44, but the problem I see is people being able to afford it. Another potential express route could be from Downtown Brooklyn to Jamaica. 

I definitely think it’s time to make traveling through the outer boroughs easier. In many cases to go to several parts of Brooklyn (Midwood, Prospect Park, Downtowns Brooklyn, Bushwick etc) from Flushing and  Jamaica for example would require one to go through Manhattan and then into Brooklyn. 

However as I’ve said before the only problems I see is steady demand and affordability especially if you are connecting areas that are less affluent. 

9 hours ago, IAlam said:

The main thing I see driving people away in Queens in money. Before we even look at the service provided by these buses off-peak, no one wants to pay more than double for the express bus. At that rate, they'd chip in the extra dollar for the LIRR. For the areas without LIRR service, Express buses are not much faster than taking a local bus and the subway. This is especially true going to Queens, why the hell would anyone want to pay $6.50 to have a longer ride. Most of the time these buses are barely keeping up with local trains. There's only one benefit for Queens riders when it comes to express buses and it's convenience. 

Where is this van service running from??? Jamaica- Parsons and Archer??? Or NE Queens? 

B/c my trips to Roosevelt Field Mall I haven’t seen a van there at all. Nassau has a zero tolerance for NYC T&LC, and Livery plates during the days of Green Acres. Is there parking for the commuter vans at the field?

i guess the (MTA) doesn’t want to take any additional expenses and get back LI bus. Nice is running that service to the ground. 

Flushing to QCM: Q58, Q59, Q53, Q38 and a few more routes I’m forgetting right now. However, some of these buses service a portion of flushing to QCM. However, if you are talking about Northern Boulevard and other points in Flushing than I can possibly see your point. 

Edited by Future ENY OP

5 hours ago, Future ENY OP said:

i guess the (MTA) doesn’t want to take any additional expenses and get back LI bus. Nice is running that service to the ground. 

Of course they don't want to take additional expenses. Where are they going to get the money from? New York City riders?

The MTA is a services provider, not a charity.

15 hours ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

I'm pretty sure the (MTA) wants to cut the QM3. 3 round trips a day on 30 min headways. At least make the QM3 run express to downtown via the FDR Drive instead of duplicating the LIRR. That would boost ridership.

18 hours ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

I'm not even sure why you're bringing up the BxM1 and BxM2 for.  Both routes do just fine on their own.

2 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

I'm not even sure why you're bringing up the BxM1 and BxM2 for.  Both routes do just fine on their own.

You missed my point.

What I was getting at is, if you can have commuter rail service and express bus service run full-time in the same area together, then that shouldn't be an excuse for not improving service on other routes which fall under the same category.

8 hours ago, Lil 57 said:

I'm pretty sure the (MTA) wants to cut the QM3. 3 round trips a day on 30 min headways. At least make the QM3 run express to downtown via the FDR Drive instead of duplicating the LIRR. That would boost ridership.

Not on 3 trips a day in the peak direction, it won't.... It'd probably break even with current total daily QM3 ridership, if we're lucky....

Even if it's there's a certain demand for it, you're still starting (to compile a new riderbase) from scratch..... Not always the easiest thing to do....

On 7/1/2018 at 10:59 PM, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

Queens' express bus network has always been the pits IMO.... Too discombobulated....

As far as the QM3, I believe it's being treated like a foster child (in consideration with the QM2), over anything LIRR related....
Putting this another way - As long as the lion's share of express bus riders gun for the QM2/20 in NE Queens, you're gonna get what you're gonna get with the QM3.....

Damn shame, really....

13 hours ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

You missed my point.

What I was getting at is, if you can have commuter rail service and express bus service run full-time in the same area together, then that shouldn't be an excuse for not improving service on other routes which fall under the same category.

I didn't miss it at all.  You're comparing two entirely different neighborhoods and saying that you can have full-time service in the same area. It goes much further than that.  Demographics, topography and a host of other reasons as for why Riverdale has express bus service AND Metro-North.  For starters, Riverdale has a sizable population and it is very dense in parts, particularly down in Spuyten Duyvil and Central Riverdale where a chunk of the ridership comes from.  It's a bedroom community AND a natural retirement community where the elderly (many of whom use the express buses off peak because they live in buildings with the bus stop literally outside of their door or within short walking distance) are the primary riders off-peak.  I'm not sure that the areas that the QM3 runs through has that.  It's more suburban in character generally speaking.

There's also the issue that many in Riverdale are more transit oriented, with some coming from Manhattan where they are used to using public transportation.  Meanwhile lots of people also drive, but the population is big enough to sustain Metro-North, the express bus and the local buses between the people that live here and the people that come here to work and visit, not to mention the numerous colleges here and Wave Hill. They all advertise the express buses, as well as the Columbia University apartments, which also has an express bus stop in front of the building.  

I think that's the main problem with the QM3.  It serves mainly suburban like - low density areas (excluding Jackson Heights) and there simply aren't enough people to spread out between the LIRR and the express bus. The other issue in Northeast Queens is the LIRR is seen as the professional thing to use and the express buses can be shunned unless you really have no other options.  In Riverdale while there are some MNRR riders that won't use the express bus, many will definitely switch between the express bus and Metro-North because they know that in most cases Metro-North is really only viable if you are coming from Grand Central. It's about the same amount of time on the express bus otherwise.  

Then there is the topography.  While both areas have the express buses running near the commuter rails, it only looks like both are accessible on the map.  When using Metro-North you're either taking the train or you're taking the express bus, and depending on your location the commuter rail my simply make more sense.  I do believe that the QM3 should run longer,but I would have to question who would be the ridership base off-peak.  You also have more Asians moving into Northeast Queens who aren't as inclined to use the express buses (generally speaking).  They will use the subway if anything.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

2 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

I didn't miss it at all.  You're comparing two entirely different neighborhoods and saying that you can have full-time service in the same area. It goes much further than that.  Demographics, topography and a host of other reasons as for why Riverdale has express bus service AND Metro-North.  For starters, Riverdale has a sizable population and it is very dense in parts, particularly down in Spuyten Duyvil and Central Riverdale where a chunk of the ridership comes from.  It's a bedroom community AND a natural retirement community where the elderly (many of whom use the express buses off peak because they live in buildings with the bus stop literally outside of their door or within short walking distance) are the primary riders off-peak.  I'm not sure that the areas that the QM3 runs through has that.  It's more suburban in character generally speaking.

There's also the issue that many in Riverdale are more transit oriented, with some coming from Manhattan where they are used to using public transportation.  Meanwhile lots of people also drive, but the population is big enough to sustain Metro-North, the express bus and the local buses between the people that live here and the people that come here to work and visit, not to mention the numerous colleges here and Wave Hill. They all advertise the express buses, as well as the Columbia University apartments, which also has an express bus stop in front of the building.  

I think that's the main problem with the QM3.  It serves mainly suburban like - low density areas (excluding Jackson Heights) and there simply aren't enough people to spread out between the LIRR and the express bus. The other issue in Northeast Queens is the LIRR is seen as the professional thing to use and the express buses can be shunned unless you really have no other options.  In Riverdale while there are some MNRR riders that won't use the express bus, many will definitely switch between the express bus and Metro-North because they know that in most cases Metro-North is really only viable if you are coming from Grand Central. It's about the same amount of time on the express bus otherwise.  

Then there is the topography.  While both areas have the express buses running near the commuter rails, it only looks like both are accessible on the map.  When using Metro-North you're either taking the train or you're taking the express bus, and depending on your location the commuter rail my simply make more sense.  I do believe that the QM3 should run longer,but I would have to question who would be the ridership base off-peak.  You also have more Asians moving into Northeast Queens who aren't as inclined to use the express buses (generally speaking).  They will use the subway if anything.

Riverdale may be more denser than individual communities in Northeast Queens, but the QM3 still serves a big portion of Northeast Queens north and south of Northern Boulevard. The only reason I would its being held down is because the MTA just doesn't want to add service. It's either take the QM2 or go to Union Turnpike. There are plenty of neighborhoods which it's just the QM3 as the only express bus. Furthermore, the QM3 does a better job getting people to Midtown destinations than the LIRR, since most wouldn't have to take the subway. The ridership is there, at least in the AM. PM buses are naturally emptier, but that's also because not everyone works a 9-5 job nowadays. However, you can't sustain a ridership base with just three trips in each direction. Given the amount of neighborhoods during off-peak hours not served by any express bus, I'd say that there is ridership potential there. 

NE Queens still has a large white population, which is evident the further east you go (Auburndale and points east basically). Even with a change in demographics where there are more Asians, there are Asians who do use those express buses, moreso from those who live further out.

16 minutes ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

Riverdale may be more denser than individual communities in Northeast Queens, but the QM3 still serves a big portion of Northeast Queens north and south of Northern Boulevard. The only reason I would its being held down is because the MTA just doesn't want to add service. It's either take the QM2 or go to Union Turnpike. There are plenty of neighborhoods which it's just the QM3 as the only express bus. Furthermore, the QM3 does a better job getting people to Midtown destinations than the LIRR, since most wouldn't have to take the subway. The ridership is there, at least in the AM. PM buses are naturally emptier, but that's also because not everyone works a 9-5 job nowadays. However, you can't sustain a ridership base with just three trips in each direction. Given the amount of neighborhoods during off-peak hours not served by any express bus, I'd say that there is ridership potential there. 

NE Queens still has a large white population, which is evident the further east you go (Auburndale and points east basically). Even with a change in demographics where there are more Asians, there are Asians who do use those express buses. 

While this is true, the real question is who would use the QM3 off-peak?  You haven't really answered that question. In Riverdale, it's the seniors going to shop, going to Lincoln Center and so on, and then you have a lot of other people that work different hours.  Early in the morning it's the Irish guys in the construction field taking the BxM1 down, then we have students who live in Riverdale that go to schools in Manhattan AND students that live in Manhattan that go to the private schools in Riverdale taking the express buses and those who work in those schools, so there's a constant stream of people using the express bus.  The buses are generally not packed to the rafters off-peak, but there's definitely enough ridership to sustain the levels of service currently provided.  In fact you'd be surprised at how crowded the 06:45 and 07:15 BxM1 buses to Riverdale are.  Having used them regularly they get very good loads.

Also remember that the Riverdale lines have lost A LOT of ridership over the years, but still there's enough people using the buses that exist to keep them.  I'm not so sure who the ridership base would be for the QM3 off-peak.  I've used the QM2 off-peak to go shopping in Whitestone and there aren't that many people using those buses. To go to Manhattan you'll get good loads, but not necessarily going to back to Bay Terrace.

The areas of Northeast Queens are mainly residential with not enough destination spots IMO to draw other riders.  Riverdale has the private colleges, Columbia University buildings, Wave Hill and the general neighborhood to draw from to maintain good off-peak usage.

20 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Also remember that the Riverdale lines have lost A LOT of ridership over the years, but still there's enough people using the buses that exist to keep them.  I'm not so sure who the ridership base would be for the QM3 off-peak.  I've used the QM2 off-peak to go shopping in Whitestone and there aren't that many people using those buses. To go to Manhattan you'll get good loads, but not necessarily going to back to Bay Terrace.

People who live in the neighborhoods the QM3 runs in. I know of people who live in that area who take the LIRR in simply because it runs when the bus doesn't (people who don't work traditional hours, like hospital workers). If it's marketed, I can see people getting off the local bus for the express bus. Additionally, I'm certain there's a group of people that don't take the LIRR, but drive to either the QM2 or Union Turnpike. Like I said before, QM2 ridership has been decreasing, and previous posts have mentioned that it's a result of mismanagement among other things. So the need for such service hasn't gone away, but it's just that people are not using it if it's not reliable. 

4 minutes ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

People who live in the neighborhoods the QM3 runs in. I know of people who live in that area who take the LIRR in simply because it runs when the bus doesn't (people who don't work traditional hours, like hospital workers). If it's marketed, I can see people getting off the local bus for the express bus. Additionally, I'm certain there's a group of people that don't take the LIRR, but drive to either the QM2 or Union Turnpike. Like I said before, QM2 ridership has been decreasing, and previous posts have mentioned that it's a result of mismanagement among other things. So the need for such service hasn't gone away, but it's just that people are not using it if it's not reliable. 

I don't disagree at all. Even I've stopped using the QM2 as much, but that still doesn't mean that there's enough ridership to have off-peak QM3 service. I don't see it.

On 7/2/2018 at 8:06 AM, Future ENY OP said:

Where is this van service running from??? Jamaica- Parsons and Archer??? Or NE Queens? 

B/c my trips to Roosevelt Field Mall I haven’t seen a van there at all. Nassau has a zero tolerance for NYC T&LC, and Livery plates during the days of Green Acres. Is there parking for the commuter vans at the field?

I'm pretty sure more than 1/2 these van/bus services are illegal, Flushing is full of them. This thing is, they don't take very well to outsiders (Essentially any non-Chinese) riding to the illegal services. They keep it on the hush for the most part but you can essentially get a bus to almost anywhere in the North East from Flushing.

Going back on topic as for the QM3 at the very least should have its hours extended for the entirety of the LIRR peak period. That way people have an alternate and cheaper way of getting home. While you're not saving much, you're targeting the group that is willing to pay more than the subway, but less than the LIRR.

Some of those folks that live east of the CIP (cross island pkwy) & are more proximate to Northern, I'm more than convinced are making their way to the Union Tpke expresses..... Curbside parking along HHE for commuting purposes (to an express bus), is akin to what goes on in parts of the Mid-Island & especially the South Shore of SI..... The more east you go on the QM3 (save for the Northern/LNP stop - the inbound trips anyway), the less usage it's going to get (FWIW, the x63 OTOH, is almost the opposite of that - it gets good usage in the furthest end of the route; Rosedale).....

IDK, On top of more service obviously, I think the QM3 could use a mid-route diversion of some sort (either north or south of Northern).... Also, there's not much of a point to have it run to/from HHE/LNP; those folks in that general area gun for the Union Tpke, expresses... On an outbound QM3 trip, if no one gets off at LNP/Northern (after the turn), it can be a uninterrupted shot (or even carrying air) from FRANCIS LEWIS, which is ridiculous.... The heart of that route's ridership is b/w Parsons & Francis Lewis, but LNP/Northern in the mornings at least, is a big stop on the route...

Messed up to hear that the QM2's losing patronage, but the fact that the route runs proximate to many residences along the way, was always the draw/attraction for that route - Something the QM3 really only does on the Little Neck end of the route, after it turns down off Northern - with no success).....

Edited by B35 via Church

How dumb is this?

The 8:30 PM QM20 from Manhattan is set to pull in at Bay Terrace at 9:28. That bus then DHs to 6 Avenue & 36 Street, and then departs at 11:30 PM from 6 Avenue & 36 Street. In other words, that BO will have about an hour layover (since it doesn't take 1 hour & 45 minutes to get to 36 Street from Bay Terrace). on top of the usual break given. Was it so hard to change that 9:30 PM trip by 10 minutes to 9:40 PM, so that the BO can get to 57 Street by 10:50 PM? Or at the very least  just maintain that trip, but terminate it at 36 Street? The BO is still getting paid in either scenario, but service is still being kept. 

12 minutes ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

How dumb is this?

The 8:30 PM QM20 from Manhattan is set to pull in at Bay Terrace at 9:28. That bus then DHs to 6 Avenue & 36 Street, and then departs at 11:30 PM from 6 Avenue & 36 Street. In other words, that BO will have about an hour layover (since it doesn't take 1 he & 45 minutes to get to 36 Street from Bay Terrace). on top of the usual break given. Was it so hard to change that 9:30 PM trip by 10 minutes to 9:40 PM, so that the BO can get to 57 Street by 10:50 PM? Or at the very least  just maintain that trip, but terminate it at 36 Street? The BO is still getting paid in either scenario, but service is still being kept. 

That's the trick. They have to keep a certain number of trips, but they can be deadhead trips, so in this case, the (MTA) still pays the driver, but they deter any QM20 ridership, this way they can justify ending service at the time that they do going back to Bay Terrace.  I don't see them chopping any further at night, but they may start chipping away at midday service. Notice how I asked TWO QM2 riders why they weren't writing their elected officials on this very board, and neither of them had anything to say other than it's a shame.  Are you kidding me? I'd be filing complaints and on my elected officials @sses to restore that bus to Bay Terrace and get the one back to Manhattan too, but the residents don't give a damn, so they keep cutting service even though it's them getting screwed!  This is a prime example of communities not speaking out against these cuts and letting the (MTA) do as they please.  I would be all for circulating a petition, but I'm not going to waste my time with communities that don't stand up and fight for what is theirs.  

13 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

That's the trick. They have to keep a certain number of trips, but they can be deadhead trips, so in this case, the (MTA) still pays the driver, but they deter any QM20 ridership, this way they can justify ending service at the time that they do going back to Bay Terrace.  I don't see them chopping any further at night, but they may start chipping away at midday service. Notice how I asked TWO QM2 riders why they weren't writing their elected officials on this very board, and neither of them had anything to say other than it's a shame.  Are you kidding me? I'd be filing complaints and on my elected officials @sses to restore that bus to Bay Terrace and get the one back to Manhattan too, but the residents don't give a damn, so they keep cutting service even though it's them getting screwed!  This is a prime example of communities not speaking out against these cuts and letting the (MTA) do as they please.  I would be all for circulating a petition, but I'm not going to waste my time with communities that don't stand up and fight for what is theirs.  

Generally speaking, Queens bus riders aren't near as vocal as Brooklyn, SI, and Bronx's riders..... Not surprised by any of that in the slightest.

CB1 (Astoria, LIC, etc) is the most vocal when it comes to transportation (buses & trains), AINEC.... All you'll hear from CB7 every now & then is the need to extend the (7) eastward... That's basically it.... They're silent when it comes to (improving) surface transportation - but tend to like to tout that Flushing is one of the busiest hubs in the entire city, yada yada yada...

14 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

That may very well happen, if the current trend of ridership on those midday QM2's continue. Four years ago, even the later trips used to get about 10 people inbound. Nowadays, it's less than half of that most of the time, which is pretty sad. I'd have to say that some of this is due to B/Os playing games or something. It really is a mess. In addition, this tunnel work on weekends has not finished yet, and I'm wondering just when it will be completed. They said it would be done spring 2018, but it's summer now and there's no definite end date. September will mark two years of this ongoing work. I'm worried because knowing the MTA, they'll probably look at service levels a few months after tunnel work is complete, and then considering cutting weekend service because of that. However, if people don't know that the closures and delays are over, how do you expect them to take the bus.