Why do Manhattan bus routes have the worst service out of all the boroughs?

On 7/2/2018 at 8:17 AM, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

You're laughing but these are all of the reasons why.  Stand on 34th street and see cabs running into the bus lane because they don't want to sit in their lane, and not one cop around to stop them.

IIRC those lanes are camera enforced, which is great, except FedEx and UPS and all the big players get some bulk parking ticket discount or amnesty or whatever.

1 minute ago, bobtehpanda said:

IIRC those lanes are camera enforced, which is great, except FedEx and UPS and all the big players get some bulk parking ticket discount or amnesty or whatever.

By what? The SBS buses themselves or do they have cameras all along 34th in addition to the SBS buses with their cameras in the front of the bus?

2 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

By what? The SBS buses themselves or do they have cameras all along 34th in addition to the SBS buses with their cameras in the front of the bus?

There are cameras along 34th St, if I remember correctly.

The major issue with that type of enforcement is that it generally deters people from doing it again after they've done it once, but many drivers in the 34th St area are not necessarily frequent drivers. That, and the bulk discount ticketing for the delivery people.

Just now, bobtehpanda said:

The major issue with that type of enforcement is that it generally deters people from doing it again after they've done it once, but many drivers in the 34th St area are not necessarily frequent drivers. That, and the bulk discount ticketing for the delivery people.

Good... They should stiffen the penalty.

3 hours ago, bobtehpanda said:

I really feel like there should be carveouts in the sidewalk to let delivery vehicles park and do deliveries for the whole block, but the city gets hella revenue from those tickets, so that'll never happen.

And yes, I went West Coast there. 

1 hour ago, Deucey said:

I really feel like there should be carveouts in the sidewalk to let delivery vehicles park and do deliveries for the whole block, but the city gets hella revenue from those tickets, so that'll never happen.

And yes, I went West Coast there. 

IIRC, they were implemented in some areas, like along the B44 SBS.

That being said, there needs to be one basically every block; right now they're not effective at all.

Archived