tickets / pass on Metro North - good across lines?

clockaclay

It's actually pretty complicated. This is how it works for East of Hudson service:

diversionsinstations2.jpg

The diversion in stations table (shown above) shows the equivalent fare zones for all the lines. Commutation tickets (weeklies and monthlies between Manhattan and points north) are good for travel between any stations up through the northerly fare zone or its equivalent, on any line.

E.g., per the table, a Hastings-on-Hudson to GCT weekly or monthly ticket would also be good between Irvington and GCT, Hartsdale and Mt Vernon West, Old Greenwich and GCT, etc. Same applies for a New Haven commutation ticket holder wishing to travel on one of the other two lines.

However, non-commutation tickets (all other ticket types including one-way, senior, disabled, intermediate, etc.) are not at all interchangeable between the New Haven Line and the other two lines. So a Westport to Fordham monthly ticket is good for stations on the New Haven line only between zones 2 and 18/42. A Tarrytown to GCT one-way would also be valid on the Harlem line as far up as Chappaqua, but would not be good for any travel on the New Haven line.

1 hour ago, MNR Beacon Line said:

It's actually pretty complicated. This is how it works for East of Hudson service:

diversionsinstations2.jpg

The diversion in stations table (shown above) shows the equivalent fare zones for all the lines. Commutation tickets (weeklies and monthlies between Manhattan and points north) are good for travel between any stations up through the northerly fare zone or its equivalent, on any line.

E.g., per the table, a Hastings-on-Hudson to GCT weekly or monthly ticket would also be good between Irvington and GCT, Hartsdale and Mt Vernon West, Old Greenwich and GCT, etc. Same applies for a New Haven commutation ticket holder wishing to travel on one of the other two lines.

However, non-commutation tickets (all other ticket types including one-way, senior, disabled, intermediate, etc.) are not at all interchangeable between the New Haven Line and the other two lines. So a Westport to Fordham monthly ticket is good for stations on the New Haven line only between zones 2 and 18/42. A Tarrytown to GCT one-way would also be valid on the Harlem line as far up as Chappaqua, but would not be good for any travel on the New Haven line.

I can attest to this because when I buy a monthly for the Hudson Line for Riverdale, I use it sometimes on the Harlem Line for Zone 2.  The price is the same so it's fine.  The chart above is what the OP should follow.  I would also add that if he wants to do a step up he should do the exchange in Grand Central or at another ticket booth and just get a ticket for whatever zone he needs. I tried doing a step up and was burned royally.  Never again.

On 7/6/2018 at 6:39 PM, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

I would also add that if he wants to do a step up he should do the exchange in Grand Central or at another ticket booth and just get a ticket for whatever zone he needs. I tried doing a step up and was burned royally.  Never again.

You can exchange Metro-North tickets at the window?

I’ve ridden MNR (New Haven and Harlem mostly) since I was in diapers and I never knew such a thing existed.

18 hours ago, paulrivera said:

You can exchange Metro-North tickets at the window?

I’ve ridden MNR (New Haven and Harlem mostly) since I was in diapers and I never knew such a thing existed.

If you push them enough yes as long as they're valid.  In other words, if you have one ticket that isn't enough for the zone, theoretically they should be able to take that ticket, let you pay the difference owed and give you the new one.

A few things to add:

1) The above chart is outdated, there have been numerous fare hikes in both Connecticut and NY so the current diversion in fares will vary. 

2) Just because a commutation ticket to zone 18 on the New Haven Line, will get you to zone 6 on the Harlem and Hudson, does not mean it will be the same with a Harlem or Hudson zone 6 to a New Haven zone 18.  It all breaks down to the current fare structure 

3) A Harlem and Hudson zone 1 to zone 2 (GCT to the Bronx) commutation ticket is not valid on the New Haven Line in any circumstance.  Per CDOT rules, New Haven Line trains traveling to GCT only discharge at Fordham.  New Haven Line train traveling from GCT only receive passengers from Fordham.  This is why there is no indication of Fordham on the above referenced chart on the New Haven column.

1 minute ago, Truckie said:

A few things to add:

1) The above chart is outdated, there have been numerous fare hikes in both Connecticut and NY so the current diversion in fares will vary. 

2) Just because a commutation ticket to zone 18 on the New Haven Line, will get you to zone 6 on the Harlem and Hudson, does not mean it will be the same with a Harlem or Hudson zone 6 to a New Haven zone 18.  It all breaks down to the current fare structure 

3) A Harlem and Hudson zone 1 to zone 2 (GCT to the Bronx) commutation ticket is not valid on the New Haven Line in any circumstance.  Per CDOT rules, New Haven Line trains traveling to GCT only discharge at Fordham.  New Haven Line train traveling from GCT only receive passengers from Fordham.  This is why there is no indication of Fordham on the above referenced chart on the New Haven column.

Well find the latest one and post it here... I only looked at some of the Hudson and Harlem Line set ups...

7 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Well find the latest one and post it here... I only looked at some of the Hudson and Harlem Line set ups...

Under normal circumstances I would not mind doing it, however, the company frowns upon posting company issued documents on the internet.  I've known some that have gotten fired for doing just that.  I recommend communicating with Metro North for the official policy regarding tariffs.

Do I feel this is important to the public to clear up any inaccuracies?  YES!  Do I want to put my job in jeopardy for doing it?  NO!  It's not mine to pick and chose what is ok and not ok.  Being the policy is no posting official documents online, I'm going to guess nothing is ok.  If any passengers question me on the train regarding this issue, I'm more than happy to show them the chart.  Beyond that, all bets are off.

Just now, Truckie said:

Under normal circumstances I would not mind doing it, however, the company frowns upon posting company issued documents on the internet.  I've known some that have gotten fired for doing just that.  I recommend communicating with Metro North for the official policy regarding tariffs.

Do I feel this is important to the public to clear up any inaccuracies?  YES!  Do I want to put my job in jeopardy for doing it?  NO!  It's not mine to pick and chose what is ok and not ok.  Being the policy is no posting official documents online, I'm going to guess nothing is ok.  If any passengers question me on the train regarding this issue, I'm more than happy to show them the chart.  Beyond that, all bets are off.

No worries. I was under the assumption that this was available to the public online somewhere.

5 hours ago, Truckie said:

A few things to add:

Thanks for the corrections.

I really hate how non-transparent MNR and LIRR are about their tariff regulations.  I only know as much as I do from getting bits and pieces from transit forums and talking to employees (and clearly a lot of my information is outdated). Why the railroad thinks its ticketing policies should be non-public information in any aspect is beyond me.

On 7/8/2018 at 4:30 PM, Truckie said:

I've seen people get on New Haven Trains going to GCT at both 125th and Fordham before but in neither cases, anything happened to them, their tickets just got collect and everyone went about their day.

Also, I heard for an LIRR conductor, which I tend to take it a grain of salt cause they all have different answers to the same question, that they only care about the money on the ticket. IE If you have a zone 1-1 peak ticket ($8.75) it would be valid on an off-peak zone 1-4  trip ($8.75). Since the ticket has $8.75 and that is the cost of both trips, you could use either ticket on either trip and be fine. Now, idk how that would play out irl because I never want to attempt this in fear of having to buy a new ticket altogether.

12 hours ago, IAlam said:

Also, I heard for an LIRR conductor, which I tend to take it a grain of salt cause they all have different answers to the same question, that they only care about the money on the ticket. IE If you have a zone 1-1 peak ticket ($8.75) it would be valid on an off-peak zone 1-4  trip ($8.75). Since the ticket has $8.75 and that is the cost of both trips, you could use either ticket on either trip and be fine. Now, idk how that would play out irl because I never want to attempt this in fear of having to buy a new ticket altogether.

No way is that in the tariff regs. Those conductors are just cutting people slack (because, honestly, you paid the railroad the same amount, it shouldn't matter).

Something I'm curious about... Supposedly New Haven trains only discharge passengers in the City.  However, on a few occasions, I've seen passengers board New Haven trains going to GCT at 125th street.  I'm assuming they're monthly commuters who would just flash their pass as I do nonchalantly. However, I always wait for the Hudson or Harlem line trains and then board those at 125th and just flash my monthly Hudson Line (Riverdale or Spuyten Duyvil) pass and have yet to meet a conductor who has given me a problem, and I say this because I know for a fact that some of the trains that I get on are not local trains.  In other words they may only stop at Marble Hill (if that in the City) before stopping at 125th.  If they don't stop in Marble Hill then technically they don't pick up at all in NYC.

7 hours ago, MNR Beacon Line said:

No way is that in the tariff regs. Those conductors are just cutting people slack (because, honestly, you paid the railroad the same amount, it shouldn't matter).

most conductors across both the MNR and LIRR are pretty chill so I wouldn't be surprised, guess they'd rather not make a scene.

7 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Something I'm curious about... Supposedly New Haven trains only discharge passengers in the City.  However, on a few occasions, I've seen passengers board New Haven trains going to GCT at 125th street.  I'm assuming they're monthly commuters who would just flash their pass as I do nonchalantly. However, I always wait for the Hudson or Harlem line trains and then board those at 125th and just flash my monthly Hudson Line (Riverdale or Spuyten Duyvil) pass and have yet to meet a conductor who has given me a problem, and I say this because I know for a fact that some of the trains that I get on are not local trains.  In other words they may only stop at Marble Hill (if that in the City) before stopping at 125th.  If they don't stop in Marble Hill then technically they don't pick up at all in NYC.

I mean once you get one they can't kick you off really because the next stop is GCT. As long as you have a valid ticket I don't see why you can't get on the train. Most of these trains have the capacity to allow passengers board at both Fordham and 125th. I find the whole drop off/pick up only system as annoying considering these trains don't run as often as the subway.

33 minutes ago, IAlam said:

I mean once you get one they can't kick you off really because the next stop is GCT. As long as you have a valid ticket I don't see why you can't get on the train. Most of these trains have the capacity to allow passengers board at both Fordham and 125th. I find the whole drop off/pick up only system as annoying considering these trains don't run as often as the subway.

What annoys me is Metro-North's attitude that people in the City ALL must take the subway. There have been times that I have bought just a Metro-North monthly pass which has the stamp on it for the Hudson Raillink Bus and a pay-per-ride Metrocard for the weekends only since there is no shuttle bus on weekends serving the Riverdale and Spuyten Duyvil stations.  If I have pay-per-ride Metrocard, but I have an unlimited Metro-North pass and I'm at 125th street, there is no way in hell that I'm going to pay $2.75 for the subway which takes almost three times as long to reach Grand Central when I can be there in 10 minutes with Metro-North AND save $2.75.  All I have to do is put on the Train Time app to see what time trains are due to arrive and go to the right track.  You can figure out which track the trains will come in by simply looking and studying the pattern of the arrivals.  They really need to give that whole trying to force people onto the subway thing a rest.  It's my money and I can take what I want. It isn't up to them to decide, and that's exactly why I take Metro-North each and every time.  I don't give a rat's @ss how the conductor looks or if the passengers look, and clearly others don't care either.  I had a friend with me once who is Latino who had a City Ticket to 125th street. The conductor looked at him like he was bewildered and of course him being Latino was a double whammy.  Racist a-hole.  Yes, he's allowed to use City Ticket to 125th.  Get over it.

It's annoying how they try to hide the fact that Metro-North trains stop at 125th street Northbound too.  If they ran better and faster subway service, maybe people would want to use it.  The subway at 125th street has nothing but Meth heads standing around the station begging. I'm not putting up with that.  Additionally, in my case, it's not just about the speed and safety of Metro-North. Sometimes my location is much closer to Metro-North and I don't have to deal with any stairs either when I get off of the train.  Coming from Lex, it's a block further east with several flights of stairs and no elevator or escalator and then you have to walk uphill.  

13 hours ago, MNR Beacon Line said:

Yes way, that is the rule. We absolutely are allowed to apply the value of a ticket to another ticket. If you want to go from Penn to Montauk on a Peak train (station price ticket would be $29.25) and you hand me 29 family fare tickets ($1 each), I would apply the value of those tickets ($29) to the value of the ticket you need ($29.25) and you would owe me $1 (25 cents rounded up to the next dollar).

The only time this becomes an issue is with Monthly tickets, Weekly tickets, and Off-Peak 10 trip tickets. For these ticket types, we cannot determine a "per-ride value" (for monthly and weekly tickets, the reason should be obvious: the tickets can be used an unlimited number of times, so how would we know what each ride is worth? For the off-peak 10 trips, there is a discount built into the ticket, which is why we cannot just divide by 10). For these ticket types, we just charge you from the zone your ticket is valid for to the zone you are traveling to, rounded up to the next dollar.  For example:

If you have a monthly ticket from Zones 1 to 4 and you are traveling from Zones 7 to 1, you need to cover the difference between Zones 4 and 7. A ticket from 4 to 7 is $3.25 at the machine/eTix. You could either give me one of those tickets or pay me $4.

It gets very interesting with a Zone 1 to 1 off-peak 10 trip. Let's say you have an off-peak 10 trip from Penn to Kew Gardens (both zone 1). You want to go from Penn to Jamaica (zone 3) on an off-peak train. We cannot punch a ride and apply the value of that ride to your trip to Jamaica, because off-peak 10 trips do not have a per-ride value. Instead, we would sell you a ticket from Penn (zone 1) to Jamaica (zone 3) at the station price (no on-board surcharge since you are in possession of a valid ticket) rounded to the next dollar. AND we would NOT punch a ride on your ten trip. So, you'd pay $8, which is 50 cents more than it would have cost at the machine due to rounding, but you wouldn't have a ride taken off the ten trip. 

On ‎7‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 7:31 PM, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

It's annoying how they try to hide the fact that Metro-North trains stop at 125th street Northbound too.  If they ran better and faster subway service, maybe people would want to use it.  The subway at 125th street has nothing but Meth heads standing around the station begging. I'm not putting up with that.  Additionally, in my case, it's not just about the speed and safety of Metro-North. Sometimes my location is much closer to Metro-North and I don't have to deal with any stairs either when I get off of the train.  Coming from Lex, it's a block further east with several flights of stairs and no elevator or escalator and then you have to walk uphill.  

I know c/r's tend to be a PITA (or look at you like you have three heads) when SB pax board at 125th, but the MTA/MNRR concealing NB NH trains stopping at 125th I haven't noticed... How are they going about doing that exactly?

As far as the junkies & other undesirables that loiter at/around 125th on the Lex.... I refuse to use that station, not due to any fear of in worries that I might contract something.... The atmosphere about the area is just f***in YUCK to me..... Doesn't help that that old pathmark facilitates the breeding grounds for the utter filth about the immediate area.... No thanks, I'm good....

At the same time though, I don't bother using the MNRR from 125th to GCT either -as quite frankly, I don't want to be bothered with the hassle (as if riding the RR within Manhattan is a crime or something).... Now that we got the (Q) over along 2nd av, what I've been doing as of late (whenever I'm around 125th) is catch the M15 & just take it to 96th & then ride the Q out to Church av from there...

2 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

I know c/r's tend to be a PITA (or look at you like you have three heads) when SB pax board at 125th, but the MTA/MNRR concealing NB NH trains stopping at 125th I haven't noticed... How are they going about doing that exactly?

As far as the junkies & other undesirables that loiter at/around 125th on the Lex.... I refuse to use that station, not due to any fear of in worries that I might contract something.... The atmosphere about the area is just f***in YUCK to me..... Doesn't help that that old pathmark facilitates the breeding grounds for the utter filth about the immediate area.... No thanks, I'm good....

At the same time though, I don't bother using the MNRR from 125th to GCT either -as quite frankly, I don't want to be bothered with the hassle (as if riding the RR within Manhattan is a crime or something).... Now that we got the (Q) over along 2nd av, what I've been doing as of late (whenever I'm around 125th) is catch the M15 & just take it to 96th & then ride the Q out to Church av from there...

They'd better get used to more people riding Metro-North at 125th to and from GCT given the gentrification occurring in East Harlem and in Harlem in general.  I see plenty of people hopping on Southbound trains and you can't blame them either. 10 minutes and you're in Grand Central.  No stairs to deal with, no junkies (occasionally I've had the odd junkie come up to the platform to beg for money, but there's usually cops patrolling the station and the platform to keep them out).

I'll tell you one thing though. If I ever have an issue with a Metro-North conductor giving me a hard time using my pass or a legitimate ticket from 125th to GCT and vice versa, I will IMMEDIATELY file a complaint against them.  I have a right to use Metro-North within Manhattan and I will continue to do so, so long as I'm on the right train.

1 hour ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

I have a right to use Metro-North within Manhattan and I will continue to do so, so long as I'm on the right train.

They don't make it easy to do, that's for sure. At 125th, the southbound trains don't show up on the boards, and at GCT the boards never mention 125th as a station stop, even if you're boarding a local train that's making all the Bronx stops (the boards will end up saying "MELROSE 1st stop" or "YANKEES-E153 1st stop.")

5 minutes ago, paulrivera said:

They don't make it easy to do, that's for sure. At 125th, the southbound trains don't show up on the boards, and at GCT the boards never mention 125th as a station stop, even if you're boarding a local train that's making all the Bronx stops (the boards will end up saying "MELROSE 1st stop" or "YANKEES-E153 1st stop.")

I've noticed this as a regular Metro-North rider and it annoys me.  When I need Harlem 125th street, I will show my monthly pass, which is marked for Spuyten Duyvil or Riverdale so they won't raise an eyebrow if I'm taking one of the semi-express trains on weekends that technically only pick up at 125th and don't discharge.  I just make sure I get in a car that I know the doors will open.

On 7/13/2018 at 3:29 PM, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

I've noticed this as a regular Metro-North rider and it annoys me.  When I need Harlem 125th street, I will show my monthly pass, which is marked for Spuyten Duyvil or Riverdale so they won't raise an eyebrow if I'm taking one of the semi-express trains on weekends that technically only pick up at 125th and don't discharge.  I just make sure I get in a car that I know the doors will open.

How are you able to know which doors will definitely open?

Off peak it's not really a problem because generally all the doors will open (as long as the car is in service to passengers, but that's a whole other subject) during that time, but during rush hours heading outbound sometimes you'll see a train stopping at Harlem and only half the cars will open, especially the express trains.

Mostly they'll open the middle cars and sometimes the rear cars also but even then YMMV...

12 hours ago, QM1to6Ave said:

How are you able to know which doors will definitely open?

Just trial and error. Now that I've been taking Metro-North regularly for a good 7 years, I've figured most things out. lol Going to Riverdale, some off-peak trains are semi-express and some are local. The semi-express trains at night during the week make no stops from 125th street to Spuyten Duyvil, then they stop at both of the Metro-North stops in Riverdale (Spuyten Duyvil and Riverdale-Wave Hill). I usually always sit in one of the flip down seats near the door, so I get to see which doors open and close.  At the stations with shorter platforms, not all doors will open.  Going to Manhattan, it's usually the last two cars that don't platform.  At the Spuyten Duyvil station, on some trains, the last two cars can't platform going to Manhattan I'm guessing due to the curve/short platform (and this is true at all stations except Yankee-East 153rd street, 125th and Grand Central), while going to Croton-Harmon, all cars can platform (again at stations like Spuyten Duyvil and Riverdale since the platform is just south of the curve at Spuyten Duyvil anyway, and Riverdale doesn't have the platform issue on either side) unless it's a longer car that has the first two or so cars closed.  Going to Croton-on-Hudson (Croton Harmon stop), usually off-peak, it'll be the first four cars that will platform at all stations (After Yankees-East 153rd street, Morris Heights and University Heights have short platforms, and to my knowledge most or all trains at Marble Hill can't fully platform either), so I'll usually go to one of those cars to get off.  As Paul said, some trains like the 20:37 to Greystone don't have all of the cars open. In those cases, they'll shut down say the first two cars and keep four open so you know that those four cars have to open their doors.  It's only a six car train unless it's rush hour.

11 hours ago, paulrivera said:

Off peak it's not really a problem because generally all the doors will open (as long as the car is in service to passengers, but that's a whole other subject) during that time, but during rush hours heading outbound sometimes you'll see a train stopping at Harlem and only half the cars will open, especially the express trains.

Mostly they'll open the middle cars and sometimes the rear cars also but even then YMMV...

8 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Just trial and error. Now that I've been taking Metro-North regularly for a good 7 years, I've figured most things out. lol Going to Riverdale, some off-peak trains are semi-express and some are local. The semi-express trains at night during the week make no stops from 125th street to Spuyten Duyvil, then they stop at both of the Metro-North stops in Riverdale (Spuyten Duyvil and Riverdale-Wave Hill). I usually always sit in one of the flip down seats near the door, so I get to see which doors open and close.  At the stations with shorter platforms, not all doors will open.  Going to Manhattan, it's usually the last two cars that don't platform.  At the Spuyten Duyvil station, on some trains, the last two cars can't platform going to Manhattan I'm guessing due to the curve/short platform (and this is true at all stations except Yankee-East 153rd street, 125th and Grand Central), while going to Croton-Harmon, all cars can platform (again at stations like Spuyten Duyvil and Riverdale since the platform is just south of the curve at Spuyten Duyvil anyway, and Riverdale doesn't have the platform issue on either side) unless it's a longer car that has the first two or so cars closed.  Going to Croton-on-Hudson (Croton Harmon stop), usually off-peak, it'll be the first four cars that will platform at all stations (After Yankees-East 153rd street, Morris Heights and University Heights have short platforms, and to my knowledge most or all trains at Marble Hill can't fully platform either), so I'll usually go to one of those cars to get off.  As Paul said, some trains like the 20:37 to Greystone don't have all of the cars open. In those cases, they'll shut down say the first two cars and keep four open so you know that those four cars have to open their doors.  It's only a six car train unless it's rush hour.

Geez, and here I thought knowing the ins and outs of Express bus service was complex! Considering how much they are trying to push use of RR within NYC, this kind of stuff shouldn't be so opaque

Archived