The 2 4 5 6 7 A B C D E F G J M N Q R S And W Subway Lines Are All Getting Freaky This Weekend

The 2 4 5 6 7 A B C D E F G J M N Q R S And W Subway Lines Are All Getting Freaky This Weekend

BY JEN CARLSON IN NEWS ON JUL 6, 2018 3:30 PM

SUBWAYweekend18n.jpg

(Photo via Stefan Georgi's flickr)

Here we are on a summer Friday, dreaming about all the things we'll do this weekend. But hold up, does your plan involve taking the 2 4 5 6 7 A B C D E F G J M N Q R S or W train someplace? Then pick a new place. Those lines are going through some shit this weekend, and they're gonna need some space.

The following are this weekend's service changes, part of what the MTA likes to call their "Subway Action Plan," which sounds like progress but is really more of a series of Band-Aids applied to a crumbling system that will never work properly in any of our lifetimes.

2 train service is suspended in both directions between Wakefield-241 St and Gun Hill Rd due to track replacement. 2 trains will run between Gun Hill Rd in the Bronx, and Franklin Av, and via the 4 line to/from Crown Hts-Utica Av in Brooklyn. From 3:45 a.m. Saturday, July 7 to 10 p.m. Sunday, July 8.

2 train service is suspended in both directions between Franklin Av and Flatbush Av-Brooklyn College due to drain cleaning. 2 trains will run between Gun Hill Rd in the Bronx, and Franklin Av, and via the 4 line to/from Crown Hts-Utica Av. From 11:30 p.m. Friday, July 6 to 5 a.m. Monday, July 9.

4 trains will run local in both directions between Grand Central-42 St and 125 St due to track replacement. From 12:01 a.m. Saturday, July 7 to 5 a.m. Monday, July 9.

4 and 6 trains will skip 23 St, 28 St and 33 St due to station enhancements at 28 St. Use a downtown 4 local or 6 to complete your trip. Transfer at Grand Central-42 St or 14 St-Union Sq. From 9:45 p.m. Friday, July 6 to 5 a.m. Monday, July 9.

5 trains will run local in both directions Grand Central-42 St and 125 St every 15 minutes due to track replacement. From 6:30 a.m. to 11 p.m. Saturday, July 7 and from 8:30 a.m. to 11 p.m. Sunday, July 8. As a reminder, 5 service ends early on Friday nights between Bowling Green and E 180 St.

6 trains will skip Buhre Av, Middletwon Rd, Westchester Sq, Zerega Av, and Castle Hill Av due to track maintenance. From 6:45 a.m. to 7 p.m. on both Saturday, July 7 and Sunday, July 8.

A and C trains run express from 125 St to 59 St-Columbus Circle due to station enhancements. From 9:45 p.m. Friday, July 6, to 5 a.m. Monday, July 9. As a reminder, C trains do not run overnight.

At all times until September 2018, A and C trains skip 163 St-Amsterdam Av in both directions due to MTA’s Enhanced Station Initiative project. For alternate service during this closure, use the nearby 168 St ac, 155 St ac, or 157 St 1 instead. Use M3, M100 or M101 buses and transfer to the ac at 168 St or 155 St with MetroCard. Need to transfer to another bus? Ask the M3, M100 or M101 driver for a MetroCard Bus Transfer which is valid on your next local bus ride within two hours. On your return trip, ask the station agent at 168 St or 155 St for a transfer to the bus.

At all times until Monday, September 3, A and Shuttle train service will be suspended in both directions between Broad Channel and Far Rockaway-Mott Av due to a flood protection project in the Rockaways. During this closure, A service will operate between Inwood-207 St and Broad Channel, and via the s to/from Rockaway Park-Beach 116 St. Shuttle trains will run between Rockaway Park-Beach 116 St and Beach 90 St, and via the a to/from Far Rockaway-Mott Av. For Far Rockaway/Mott Av-bound service take the S via transfer at Beach 90 St. For a graphical guide to these alternate travel directions, click here.

Beginning 8:30 p.m. Friday, July 6, B service will end early due to station enhancements at 86 St and 110 St. Take the C, D and/or Q instead. As a reminder, b service does not run on weekends.

At all times until September 2018, B and C trains will skip Cathedral Parkway-110 St in both directions due to MTA’s Enhanced Station Initiative project. For alternate service during this closure, walk to the nearby B and C stations at 116 St and 103 St, along Fredrick Douglas Blvd/Central Park West. Or take the 1 at 110 St, along Broadway. Use the M10 bus along Fredrick Douglas Blvd and transfer to the bc (a overnight) at 116 St or 103 St with MetroCard. If you need to transfer to another bus, ask the M10 bus operator for a MetroCard Bus Transfer, which can be used on your next local bus ride within two hours. On your return trip, ask the station agent at 116 St or 103 St for a transfer to the bus.

At all times until late October 2018, B and C trains will skip 72 St in both directions due to MTA’s Enhanced Station Initiative project. For alternate service during this closure, use nearby B and C stations at 81 St-Museum of Natural History and 59 St-Columbus Circle. Or take the 123 at 72 St, along Broadway. Use an M10 bus along Frederick Douglass Blvd and transfer to the bc (a overnight) at 81 St or 59 St with MetroCard. If you need to transfer to another bus, ask the M10 bus operator for a MetroCard Bus Transfer which can be used on your next local bus ride within two hours. On your return trip, ask the station agent at 81 St or 59 St for a transfer to the bus.

At all times until late October 2018, B and C trains will skip 86 St in both directions due to MTA’s Enhanced Station Initiative project. For alternate service during this closure, use nearby bc stations at 81 St-Museum of Natural History and 96 St. Or take the 1 at 86 St, along Broadway. Use an M10 bus along Frederick Douglass Blvd and transfer to the bc (a overnight) at 81 St or 96 St with MetroCard. If you need to transfer to another bus, ask the M10 bus operator for a MetroCard Bus Transfer which can be used on your next local bus ride within two hours. On your return trip, ask the station agent at 81 St or 96 St for a transfer to the bus.

D service is rerouted in both directions via the A express between 59 St-Columbus Circle and Jay St-MetroTech, and via the F between Jay St-MetroTech and Coney Island-Stillwell Av due to signal improvements. From 9:30 p.m. Friday, July 6, to 5 a.m. Monday, July 9.

Norwood-205 St bound D trains will run express from 145 St to Fordham Rd due to track maintenance. From 9:45 p.m. Friday, July 6, to 5 a.m. Monday, July 9.

Norwood-205 St bound D trains will skip 170 St, 174-175 Sts, and 182-183 Sts due to track maintenance. From 4 p.m. Sunday, July 8 to 5 a.m. Monday, July 9.

Manhattan-bound E and F trains will skip Sutphin Blvd f, Briarwood, and 75 Av due to track maintenance. From 9:45 p.m. Friday, July 6, to 5 a.m. Monday, July 9.

Manhattan-bound E and R run express from 71 Av to Queens Plaza due to track replacement. From 9:45 p.m. Friday, July 6, to 5 a.m. Monday, July 9.

At all times until mid 2018, Manhattan-bound F trains skip Avenue U, Avenue P, Avenue N, Bay Pkwy and Avenue I due to station renewal work on the Culver Line.

F service is rerouted in both directions via the Q express between Lexington Av/63 St and Atlantic Av-Barclays Ctr, and via the D between Atlantic Av-Barclays Ctr and Coney Island-Stillwell Av due to signal improvements. From 9:30 p.m. Friday, July 6, to 5 a.m. Monday, July 9.

Manhattan-bound F trains are rerouted via the N line from Coney Island-Stillwell Av to 36 St due to track maintenance. As a reminder, D trains will make all F line station stops between Jay St-MetroTech and Coney Island-Stillwell Av this weekend. From 10:45 p.m. Friday, July 6, to 5 a.m. Monday, July 9.

G service will be suspended in both directions between Court Sq and Bedford-Nostrand Avs due to track maintenance. Free shuttle buses will make all G line station stops between Court Sq and Bedford-Nostrand Avs. From 9:45 p.m. Friday, July 6 to 5 a.m. Monday, July 9.

At all times until Summer 2018, Jamaica Center Parsons/Archer-bound J trains skip 121 St due to station rehabilitation work. For service to this station, take the J to Sutphin Blvd and transfer to a Broad St-bound J.

J service will be suspended in both directions between Crescent St and Jamaica Center due to station rehabilitation work at 104 St and 121 St. J trains will run between Broad St in Lower Manhattan and Crescent St in Brooklyn. Free shuttle buses will make all J line station stops between Crescent St and 121 St, and connect with the E at Jamaica-Van Wyck. Transfer between trains and free shuttle buses at Jamaica-Van Wyck E and/or Crescent St J. From 3:45 a.m. Saturday, July 7 to 10 p.m. Sunday, July 8.

Crescent St-bound J and Metropolitan Av-bound M trains will skip Hewes St, Lorimer St, and Flushing Av due to track replacement. As an alternative, use a Manhattan-bound J or M to complete your trip. Transfer at Myrtle Av, Marcy Av, or Delancey-Essex Sts. As a reminder, M service runs between Myrtle Av and Metropolitan Av late nights. From 3:45 a.m. Saturday, July 7 to 10 p.m. Sunday, July 8.

M service will end early between 71 Av and Delancey-Essex Sts due to signal improvements. Beginning 8:15 p.m. Friday, July 6.

At all times until fall 2018, Coney Island-Stillwell Av bound N trains skip Fort Hamilton Pkwy, New Utrecht Av, 18 Av, 20 Av, Kings Hwy, Avenue U and 86 St due to station rehabilitation work at nine stations on the Sea Beach Line.

At all times until February 2019, N trains will skip Broadway and 39 Av in both directions due to MTA’s Enhanced Station Initiative project. For alternate service during this closure, use the nearby open Astoria line stations at 30 Av, 36 Av, or Queensboro Plaza via the Q102 bus. For a graphical guide to these alternate travel directions, click here.

N trains will be rerouted via the R line in both directions between DeKalb Av in Brooklyn, and Canal St in Lower Manhattan due to signal improvements. From 9:30 p.m. Friday, July 6 to 5 a.m. Monday, July 9.

Coney Island-Stillwell Av bound N trains will skip 30 Av and 36 Av due to station enhancements at Broadway and 39 Av. As an alternative, use an Astoria-bound N train to complete your trip. Transfer at Queensboro Plaza or Astoria Blvd. As a reminder, N trains will not stop at Broadway or 39 Av. From 9:45 p.m. Friday, July 6 to 5 a.m. Monday, July 9.

Coney Island-Stillwell Av bound Q trains will run express from Prospect Park to Kings Hwy due to structural improvements. As an alternative, use a Manhattan-bound Q train to complete your trip. Transfer at Kings Hwy, Newkirk Plaza, Church Av, or Prospect Park. From 7:45 a.m. to 6 p.m. on both Saturday, July 7 and Sunday, July 8.

W service will end early due to station enhancements at Broadway and 39 Av. Beginning 8:30 p.m. Friday, July 6.

Source: http://gothamist.com/2018/07/06/weekend_subway_changes_cancel_all_plans.php

Did this need an entire thread to itself? Especially one linking to *shudders* Gothamist of all things.

Like, yeah, it's a lot. But that may well just become the normal for a decade straight if things are to get where they need to be. Especially since I'm sure a lot of the extra is pure catch-up.

7 hours ago, Deucey said:

I used to think it was cool when I lived in Sacramento and@Ben Kabak posted these on SAS.

Don't ask me why, cuz I dunno.

I know right? Though I can forgive it since he's been blessing my Instagram with European railways and metros lol

8 minutes ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

So why are you sharing this? Weekend work, especially a lot of it is nothing new.

Probably because it came with an accompanying news article.

17 hours ago, LTA1992 said:

Did this need an entire thread to itself? Especially one linking to *shudders* Gothamist of all things.

Like, yeah, it's a lot. But that may well just become the normal for a decade straight if things are to get where they need to be. Especially since I'm sure a lot of the extra is pure catch-up.

We've been talking for a while about how there needs to be a subway blitz of maintenance work. This is what happens when you do a subway blitz.

Besides, several of these events are not major or new for that matter. I see all of the not ESI rehab closures on that list, including the most recent ones for 39 Avenue and Broadway. Then there's the ongoing Culver, Sea Beach and Rockaways structure projects, also not new. The only really major service changes in effect this weekend are the closures of 6th Avenue, Nostrand Ave (2), Crosstown (G) and Jamaica (J).

On 7/6/2018 at 8:22 PM, LTA1992 said:

On 7/7/2018 at 1:36 PM, MysteriousBtrain said:

So why are you sharing this? Weekend work, especially a lot of it is nothing new.

If the two of you don't like what I post, you're free to post a thread for once. Neither of you rarely do though, but you're quick to criticize.  Back seat mods... There's a lot of people that are guests here or read the forums but don't post or aren't transit buffs.  It may interest them. I found the article funny and decided to share it, so shoot me. 

51 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

If the two of you don't like what I post, you're free to post a thread for once. Neither of you rarely do though, but you're quick to criticize.  Back seat mods... There's a lot of people that are guests here or read the forums but don't post or aren't transit buffs.  It may interest them. I found the article funny and decided to share it, so shoot me. 

So glad Gothamist is back. NY snark was missed.

Just now, Deucey said:

So glad Gothamist is back. NY snark was missed.

Speaking about the article, I took the subway down to TriBeCa yesterday afternoon to Whole Foods to do my weekly shopping.  There was a train arriving as I was walking down the stairs going and coming.  An (A) came at 59th street after I had downed an espresso and a Belgian waffle from Le Pain Quotidien, and coming back a (D) came at Chambers.  I'm actually glad I didn't try to get on around 6th Avenue because I'm guessing there was no 6th Avenue service yesterday (or today).  I don't know why but not having any 6th Avenue service on weekends really grinds my gears.  Whatever they're doing they really should take advantage of the amount of stations they have closed.

54 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Don't worry about it, I usually will click on your self-initiated threads and read up because some of the news articles you find bear fruit and some are amusing as well. Surely, people would have gotten upset if you put up that lengthy article on the "Planned Service Changes" thread—it's impossible to satisfy everyone. I'm not harpooning you here.

On 7/6/2018 at 5:22 PM, LTA1992 said:

Gothamist is one of the only newsrooms covering local in-depth. The (temporary) loss of Gothamist actually hit pretty hard.

(The Times was never really super local, the neighborhood papers are all slowly withering on the vine, and the tabloids have so-so coverage of some local news depending on what their opinion of it is.)

1 minute ago, AlgorithmOfTruth said:

Don't worry about it, I usually will click on your self-initiated threads and read up because some of the news articles you find bear fruit and some are amusing as well. Surely, people would have gotten upset if you put up that lengthy article on the "Planned Service Changes" thread—it's impossible to satisfy everyone. I'm not harpooning you here.

You think I'm worried? :lol: Whoever has an issue with it will live.  I will say though that there are so many changes now on weekends that even after I read the status board on my phone I still can't keep up. A month or so ago, this Dominican guy came up to me and asked me in Spanish if I knew if the (C) was running local. I replied back in Spanish that it was running on the express track (I was certain of it).  Well it came on the local track at 59th street. Like I said I can't keep up with all of the weekend changes anymore so I don't try. I just try to make sure that the train I need is going where I need to go, and even that can get tricky. 

Archived