No one held the door for him, so he held onto the door...

Deucey

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/brooklyn/ny-metro-subway-surfer-brooklyn-train-video-20180708-story.html

A commuter with an apparent death wish was spied clinging to a C train door in Brooklyn after missing his ride Friday morning.

Straphangers in the safety of the aging train heard the calm daredevil's foot hit the closing door as he hopped on at around 8:30 a.m. at the Clinton-Washington Ave. stop in Clinton Hill.

The man was hanging on with both hands as the train sped up and entered the dark tunnel toward Manhattan. Then he dropped one hand to his side to stop his shirt from flapping in the wind.

“It looked like something he had done before because he was so confident,” said Matthew Beary, who shot video of the wild trip.

Beary saw the chance spectacle only because he opted for taking the train to work — rather than taking an 8-mile bike ride in a downpour.

The MTA calls the urban stunt skylarking, as opposed to subway surfing — a term used to describe riding a train like an ocean wave. At least 15 people have died skylarking or subway surfing since 1989, according to MTA data and news reports.

Beary has seen his share of skylarkers clinging to the back of trains but never outside the door during his nearly two decades in Brooklyn.

His footage shows a rider on his phone and oblivious of the unidentified stowaway glancing toward the Lafayette Ave. station during a dangerous 2,800-foot-trek between stops.

“The lady next to me had noticed and had a look of shock on her face, hand covering her mouth the whole time,” Beary said.

He was more worried about spooking the show-off commuter should he slip and fall in the tight tunnel.

“I didn’t want him to be startled. Just to be safe and hold on tight,” Beary said.

The man hopped off at the Lafayette stop, Beary said, where he lost sight of him.

Total failure on the part of the C/R. Obviously the surfer is an idiot, but c'mon, he's on the platform side! You mean to tell me the old look-back-look-forward didn't lead to any sighting of this guy? 

21 minutes ago, traildriver said:

Wonder what would have happened, had a panicked observer pulled the emergency brake?   Isn't that pretty much what those brakes are there for?

Wonder if he would have been able to hang on, in that case?

Good question..Me personally i probably would have pulled it thinking hes caught in the doors by mistake... 

3 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

Wait wouldn't he have gotten hit by a signal? 

Only if he were in a bored tunnel. Cut and Covers aren't rounded, so the signals aren't close enough to the train chassis. Plus, in that section of Fulton St, there's a walkway on the tunnel's side so there's enough clearance for him to hold on and not risk getting hit by any "obstructions".

On 7/9/2018 at 11:45 AM, Deucey said:

Only if he were in a bored tunnel. Cut and Covers aren't rounded, so the signals aren't close enough to the train chassis. Plus, in that section of Fulton St, there's a walkway on the tunnel's side so there's enough clearance for him to hold on and not risk getting hit by any "obstructions".

Ahh, I thought he was going to get hit by a signal when I first saw the video. I was like :o, but then the next station arrived and he jumped off and I was like. Oh ok.

On 7/9/2018 at 11:45 AM, Deucey said:

Not 100% true, there are a few locations where signals are mounted on the bench wall and would have been close enough to take him out. Also, many IND stations have handrails that are on the edge of the bench wall. This guy got lucky this time, but there is a body bag out there with his name on it.

13 hours ago, INDman said:

This guy got lucky this time, but there is a body bag out there with his name on it.

...and when that happens, the only "remorse" I'll have is for the passengers and the t/o & c/r that'd end up being inconvenienced by it all.

Absolutely Zero tolerance for tomfoolery such as this "skylarking" crap (swear they got a name for everything nowadays).....

On 7/12/2018 at 11:25 PM, INDman said:

Not 100% true, there are a few locations where signals are mounted on the bench wall and would have been close enough to take him out. Also, many IND stations have handrails that are on the edge of the bench wall. This guy got lucky this time, but there is a body bag out there with his name on it.

Apparently this space cadet has done this before...

Archived