Suspect arrested for fracturing man's skull with a pipe in attack on NYC subway

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/suspect-arrested-for-fracturing-mans-skull-with-a-pipe-in-attack-on-nyc-subway/

NEW YORK -- A suspect has been arrested in a violent attack on a New York City subway. Geovannie Nieves, 35, of Crown Heights, Brooklyn, was apprehended and charged with first-degree assault on Sunday, CBS New York reports.

The incident was caught on video Saturday evening at about 9:15 p.m. on a southbound 2 train. Police said Nieves was panhandling when he got into verbal dispute with a 59-year-old man that quickly escalated. Police say the suspect hit the man in the face with a pipe.

Mery Meza, the victim's stepdaughter, said she was so upset she couldn't bring herself to watch video of the incident.

"Nobody deserves that to happen to them and it was messed up," Meza told CBS New York.

The suspect got off the train at Chambers Street and ran, police said. The victim was left with a fractured skull and broken eye socket. He is recovering at the hospital in serious but stable condition.

Meza believes the argument started over money.

"From what I know, the guy was asking him for money, like the guy was on the train begging for money and my stepfather doesn't speak Spanish and the guy was speaking Spanish," she said. "So I'm guessing the guy got irritated because he didn't want to give him money and that just broke out."

For now, Meza said her only focus is helping her stepfather recover.

"I don't know the situation, in what happened, but my stepfather's hurt and I just want him to get well," she said. "If the guy's sick, I want him to get the help he needs."

5 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Crazy times we're living in thanks to our delusional mayor.  Soft on crime, so you have all of these nut jobs walking around doing this.

Oh please, this is nothing compared to what it was like in the 80's and 90's. It's a big city, stuff like this will happen every now and then.

1 hour ago, kosciusko said:

Oh please, this is nothing compared to what it was like in the 80's and 90's. It's a big city, stuff like this will happen every now and then.

You probably weren't even around in the 80s to know. Any excuse to excuse an administration that can't govern...

34 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

You probably weren't even around in the 80s to know. Any excuse to excuse an administration that can't govern...

I hate DeBlasio as much as the next guy but I just don't see how "man assaulted on subway" is newsworthy. It happens all the time and it's a reality that we as New Yorkers have to live with. The fact of the matter is that crime is at an all time low, and the city is safer than ever, but we will always have to deal with some crime.

Pointing fingers at the police and the Mayor because of the odd subway assault is pointless.

53 minutes ago, CenSin said:

Does anyone have any real data for crime—preferably something that can be graphed over a period of time long enough to see the effects of each administration?

http://abc7ny.com/news/de-blasio-and-bratton-release-latest-nyc-crime-statistics/1145112/

https://www.economist.com/graphic-detail/2018/04/03/new-yorks-annual-murder-statistics-are-still-worse-than-londons

http://abc7ny.com/nypd-new-york-citys-2017-crime-rate-was-lowest-since-1951/2868270/

I it says there was a "slight increase" in crime on the Subways in 2017 but it's still down if you look at the data across ten years.

murder_rate.png

11 hours ago, kosciusko said:

I hate DeBlasio as much as the next guy but I just don't see how "man assaulted on subway" is newsworthy. It happens all the time and it's a reality that we as New Yorkers have to live with. The fact of the matter is that crime is at an all time low, and the city is safer than ever, but we will always have to deal with some crime.

Pointing fingers at the police and the Mayor because of the odd subway assault is pointless.

The odd subway assault? There's been a lot of assaults on the subway, many of which I read about, but I post all of them here. 

10 hours ago, kosciusko said:

Yes crime is down, but murders and tapes are up, so if you think that's ok, then clearly I can understand why you don't see the issue with passengers being attacked with pipes on a subway. We have an increase in the mentally ill walking around in this city which the de Blasio administration refuses to address. He'd rather take trips to Texas then do his job here in NYC. He just met with Andy Byford some seven MONTHS after he took over the position and we have a subway and bus crisis here. Terrible.

On 7/10/2018 at 8:20 PM, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

I was at was worse...

Social Media has now showed a lot of these failed individuals to light now...

Lots of people out here on these trains not wrapped too tight..

On 7/11/2018 at 5:19 AM, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Yes crime is down, but murders and tapes are up, so if you think that's ok, then clearly I can understand why you don't see the issue with passengers being attacked with pipes on a subway. We have an increase in the mentally ill walking around in this city which the de Blasio administration refuses to address. He'd rather take trips to Texas then do his job here in NYC. He just met with Andy Byford some seven MONTHS after he took over the position and we have a subway and bus crisis here. Terrible.

https://www.amny.com/news/nyc-homicides-record-low-1.15725051

The city recorded in 2017 its lowest number of homicides since the end of World War II — just under 300 killings in a year that also saw the smallest number of shootings recorded in the five borough’s modern history.

By midnight of New Year’s Eve, police were expected to report 290 homicides, down 12.5 percent from 334 reported in 2016. Barring any last minute adjustment, New York will have a murder rate of just over 3.4 per 100,000 population, the lowest of any of the nation’s five largest cities.

As far as rape reports go, it's considered mostly a consequence of increased reporting in the #MeToo era as well; victims are now more likely to think that the police will actually try and solve their case.

Archived