MaBSTOA B/O Exam #9100

+Young+
Message added by +Young+

For those who will be reporting to Livingston Street in the immediate future, click here for the pre-employment packet (if you need it). The CPD-B booklet is not necessary since this is not a civil service position.

For those of you who are still waiting, you folks might want to check out this and this YouTube video. In addition, if you need help getting your Class B CLP (Commercial Learner's Permit), I would encourage you to check out cristcdl.com, which is free! Remember, the multiple-choice tests you need to take and pass, at minimum, are General Knowledge, Air Brakes and Passenger Endorsement.

If you need to make an appointment at the DMV to take the multiple-choice examinations for your Commercial Learner's Permit, click here.

Good luck!

My SS card is set to arrive today, hopefully I get rescheduled quickly.

I am looking into getting some lessons under my belt for my CDL however here on Staten Island im struggling to find a school that would be able to help. Most driving schools don't offer CDL here or the ones that did have closed down. Does anyone have any recommendations for schools? I'm willing to travel to Brooklyn if necessary.

I reached out to Ferrari driving school and the woman told me that I should learn to drive a stick shift unless I want to get an automatic restriction on my license? Anyone know anything about this?

• Replies 790
  • Created
  • Last Reply
47 minutes ago, Ramirez1523 said:

I got my email last night for my medical this Tuesday at 7am with a start date of Sunday August 16th, 2020, anyone else? 

I did mine yesterday . Bring some sandwiches with you . I was there from 6:30a to 3:40p. Make sure you fill out the documents that are attached to the email and print them before your appt. 

they’re going to do a hearing test, eye and a ekg. The last step is Fingerprints (don’t forget the money order) and submit all the documents that are attached to the email and you will get your starting date and books to study. 

I have to go back to Livingston Monday to take the picture for my pass , and report to Zerega Sunday at 7a. 

Good luck 

1 hour ago, Biggington said:

I am looking into getting some lessons under my belt for my CDL however here on Staten Island im struggling to find a school that would be able to help. Most driving schools don't offer CDL here or the ones that did have closed down. Does anyone have any recommendations for schools? I'm willing to travel to Brooklyn if necessary.

I reached out to Ferrari driving school and the woman told me that I should learn to drive a stick shift unless I want to get an automatic restriction on my license? Anyone know anything about this?

Have you checked out Driving Academy, located in Linden, New Jersey?

As far as the automatic restriction is concerned, as per the new testing standards, which can be viewed here, if you take your road test in an automatic Commercial Motor Vehicle (CMV), you will not be allowed to drive a manual transmission CMV. As far as the Department of Buses is concerned, it's acceptable since all of the buses have automatic transmissions. However, in the event the MTA does not work out for you and you want to drive a box truck or another CMV, you will only be allowed to do so providing it has an automatic transmission. By the way, I took my CDL road test in a manual-transmission bus at Ferrari Driving School and the only other manual-transmission buses I have seen are on YouTube.

If you have any more questions, please do not hesitate to ask. However, the more specific you are, the better it will be.

In the meantime, stay safe and healthy!!

Edited by +Young+

9 hours ago, luiggi0102 said:

I did mine yesterday . Bring some sandwiches with you . I was there from 6:30a to 3:40p. Make sure you fill out the documents that are attached to the email and print them before your appt. 

they’re going to do a hearing test, eye and a ekg. The last step is Fingerprints (don’t forget the money order) and submit all the documents that are attached to the email and you will get your starting date and books to study. 

I have to go back to Livingston Monday to take the picture for my pass , and report to Zerega Sunday at 7a. 

Good luck 

@luiggi0102 when did you take your drug test. You just had your medical this past Friday?

1 hour ago, Natalie said:

@luiggi0102 they gave you books to study? Sorry for all the questions lol. 

Even if they hand out any books, if you need something to study, I would recommend you look at the handouts and the first post of this topic/thread. If you need any "testimony" as far as the handouts are concerned, I would invite you to read this, this and this post, which should be self-explanatory.

Good luck!! Stay safe and healthy!!

Edited by +Young+
Addition...

6 hours ago, +Young+ said:

Even if they hand out any books, if you need something to study, I would recommend you look at the handouts and the first post of this topic/thread. If you need any "testimony" as far as the handouts are concerned, I would invite you to read this, this and this post, which should be self-explanatory.

Good luck!! Stay safe and healthy!!

Good info, been going through everything! Im currently taking driving lessons for my cdl. If im still doing my lessons by the time they call me down, do I explain this to them? im trying to get the cdl asap, I just have school work and about 7 more lessons lol. Im also concerned about school with the job scheduling but ill cross that bridge when I get there. Hows the scheduling for a rookie? nights? I know weekends are out. Thanks. 

10 hours ago, bkborn said:

Im currently taking driving lessons for my cdl. If im still doing my lessons by the time they call me down, do I explain this to them? im trying to get the cdl asap...

Good for you! As far as explaining this to the folks at 180 Livingston Street is concerned, no. As long as you have a valid CLP (Commercial Learner's Permit) with a fairly clean abstract and no other problems, you should be fine. Now, hopefully timing will work out in your favor in which you'll take the road test, pass it and amend your license at DMV before the 10-day training session begins. If that is the case, then make sure you mention to the Superintendent during orientation that you successfully took a road test in a bus. Once you mention that, they will make the necessary adjustments, respectfully.

41 minutes ago, Moody said:

I just wonder if the full training is going to be at zerega ? or is it going to be smaller classes mixed with zerega and other bus depots ? I've seen training busses at 4th ave and 65st in brooklyn. 

Day "Zero" and day "Ten" (if you have to go that far) will be at Zerega. Click here for more information. Days 1 through 9 will be at a "random" depot. I put random in quotation marks because, for one of the members on this site who I met in-person, he lives in Staten Island and they sent him to Casey Stengel, across the street from CitiField, where the Mets play with no temporary parking permit or anything to that nature. In addition, I live in Queens and they sent me to a depot in Brooklyn, followed by the Bronx and not a depot within the borough.

Before the pandemic began, for the first nine days, they would have a ratio of 4 students to 1 instructor for one bus. However, you folks will see what happens in about a week if they decreased the size of the ratio because of the pandemic. Just remember that for Day Ten, it's you with two superintendents out of Zerega, and everything on that day has to be 100% perfect.

Edited by +Young+

Day 0 will now be on Sundays, training superintendents will be working Sunday - Thursday with Friday/Saturday off. That means that training will more then likely be held on Sundays for day 6. Keep your head on a swivel, when I first started it was hard and scary to adjust.  There should be a class starting on the 16th made up of all OA, the next TA class should be sometime in September. If anyone has any questions about training that's been going on in the recent months can PM me, I don't know much but, I can help.

On 8/8/2020 at 8:53 PM, Natalie said:

@luiggi0102 they gave you books to study? Sorry for all the questions lol. 

Yes you get like 3 books . I took the picture for my pass today. Im starting Sunday at zerega. To anyone driving from Staten Islam to zerega for training, try to be there 2hr earlier to get a parking spot everyone else take uber or bus . Parking is not joke . 

good luck everyone! 

5 hours ago, luiggi0102 said:

Yes you get like 3 books . I took the picture for my pass today. Im starting Sunday at zerega. To anyone driving from Staten Islam to zerega for training, try to be there 2hr earlier to get a parking spot everyone else take uber or bus . Parking is not joke . 

good luck everyone! 

Nah don't stress about parking. You'll find a spot easy cause the school bus companies are still closed.

6 hours ago, dman1455 said:

Nah don't stress about parking. You'll find a spot easy cause the school bus companies are still closed.

Plus, it's a Sunday as well, right? I haven't been around Zerega lately, however, if I recall correctly, on Sundays you do not have to pay the meter, correct?

4 minutes ago, +Young+ said:

Plus, it's a Sunday as well, right? I haven't been around Zerega lately, however, if I recall correctly, on Sundays you do not have to pay the meter, correct?

You'll find a free spot with no meters right infront of Zerega or down that wide block with cars parked at an angle from both sides.

Hi, I hope everyone is doing well

I need to get my work history since high school, so I just would like to know which form did you guys fill out from the SSA and around how much you all paid?

Since the SSA is not servicing customers face to face, how can you request this print out in person and get it the same day?

The people that received the pre employment email, are they requesting for you to send a copy of a birth certificate and a passport, or can you just send either one?

Stay safe everyone

Thank You

35 minutes ago, Ramirez1523 said:

So I did my medical today, finished the paperwork and took the picture for the pass.

I was told to report “in uniform” on Sunday.  Light blue button up and dark navy pants, does anyone have a suggestion on brand of pants or shoes? Any help appreciated!

Congrats ! I got my pants from old navy and black Under Armour boots from dicks sporting goods , they’re “tactical boots” . Those are similar to the ones that mta will give you later. 

48 minutes ago, Ramirez1523 said:

So I did my medical today, finished the paperwork and took the picture for the pass.

I was told to report “in uniform” on Sunday.  Light blue button up and dark navy pants, does anyone have a suggestion on brand of pants or shoes? Any help appreciated!

When did you take your drug test?