MaBSTOA B/O Exam #9100

+Young+
Message added by +Young+

For those who will be reporting to Livingston Street in the immediate future, click here for the pre-employment packet (if you need it). The CPD-B booklet is not necessary since this is not a civil service position.

For those of you who are still waiting, you folks might want to check out this and this YouTube video. In addition, if you need help getting your Class B CLP (Commercial Learner's Permit), I would encourage you to check out cristcdl.com, which is free! Remember, the multiple-choice tests you need to take and pass, at minimum, are General Knowledge, Air Brakes and Passenger Endorsement.

If you need to make an appointment at the DMV to take the multiple-choice examinations for your Commercial Learner's Permit, click here.

Good luck!

• Replies 790
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 9/2/2020 at 5:56 PM, lornaevo said:

Anyone starting line training next week? 

I was able to pick Jackie Gleason on the board was (JGL, West Farms (with the most open placements almost half the class had to go there) , Fresh Pond, KB, and one other in the BX)

First day they had us do more videos and meet with the union reps

Second day I had a 13 hour run on the B8.  Watched the first 3 runs, it was empty but you could tell he was pushing to be "on time" so you know the schedule is tight (I'm not even going to bother trying to keep up).  We had a 2.5 hour swing, then he had me take the NB trip when we relived at 18th Ave.  The second I got on the bus there was a lady screaming all hell no it's his first day.  I do my service brake check and I wasn't expecting the bus to break as fast as the others we were training on on and it rock and this set the lady up even more (first time driving the 2010 new flyer too).  She went up and down the bus telling everyone not to talk 'cause it was my first day (paraphrasing).  She rode all the way to nostrand doing the same thing (ugh).  I felt like it went alright, super never wrecking. We had a half trip nostrand to rock Ave and by the time I deadheaded I was behind another B8 so it was smooth. Not a terrible first day but was nervous, only comment was I needed to be more in my mirrors when going straight, he said I was fine on the turns just when I'm going straight I need to cycle a little more.

38 minutes ago, Ramirez1523 said:

I was able to pick Jackie Gleason on the board was (JGL, West Farms (with the most open placements almost half the class had to go there) , Fresh Pond, KB, and one other in the BX)

First day they had us do more videos and meet with the union reps

Second day I had a 13 hour run on the B8.  Watched the first 3 runs, it was empty but you could tell he was pushing to be "on time" so you know the schedule is tight (I'm not even going to bother trying to keep up).  We had a 2.5 hour swing, then he had me take the NB trip when we relived at 18th Ave.  The second I got on the bus there was a lady screaming all hell no it's his first day.  I do my service brake check and I wasn't expecting the bus to break as fast as the others we were training on on and it rock and this set the lady up even more (first time driving the 2010 new flyer too).  She went up and down the bus telling everyone not to talk 'cause it was my first day (paraphrasing).  She rode all the way to nostrand doing the same thing (ugh).  I felt like it went alright, super never wrecking. We had a half trip nostrand to rock Ave and by the time I deadheaded I was behind another B8 so it was smooth. Not a terrible first day but was nervous, only comment was I needed to be more in my mirrors when going straight, he said I was fine on the turns just when I'm going straight I need to cycle a little more.

Congratulations ! 13 hour run WOW hahaha. That probably means the guy you were with was a big time veteran.

I'm pretty sure most people who get on the bus don't care if its your first day or 5,000th. They just want to get to their destination.  Its just ironic you had that one lady who reacted like that. Weird how that happened. But you got this. You already IN.  Eventually you just go with  the flow. 

2.5 swing ? Long break hahaha. Good job man.

Edited by Moody

45 minutes ago, Natalie said:

@Moody you got overtime on your second day????? Omg that’s great!!! Do you remember what other Bronx depots were on the list? Was gunhill there? Also is that run 23 hours everyday? How does that work, congrats!!!!!

No not me Ramirez. I was quoting Ramirez.  

So I have a question about the training... is there a difference in training for someone who has a permit vs someone with their CDL? 

also the training is 10 consecutive days? I paid for a lesson package for CDL training and I don’t think I will complete them all by the time I start my training at zerega 

1 hour ago, Biggington said:

So I have a question about the training... is there a difference in training for someone who has a permit vs someone with their CDL? 

also the training is 10 consecutive days? I paid for a lesson package for CDL training and I don’t think I will complete them all by the time I start my training at zerega 

Do you have a starting  date ? 

Edited by luiggi0102

8 minutes ago, Biggington said:

I report 9/13

So the training is almost identical for both groups. You’re on the same bus, get the same training except if there’s additional time in the work day. The supt may give the permit guys/gals some engine pre trip practice. I don’t think that’s mandatory for them to do, as you will get additional training for that after you qualify. Whether it’s on day 7 or 10. 

@merdtd93 a bunch of paperwork asking if you have any tickets, pending violations etc. any criminal history. They take a copy of your license, you fill out if you want a metro north  pass or LIRR pass. It takes a long time to fill out because everybody has to do it together and then people make mistakes and have to start all over again. Towards the end of the class they tell everyone which depot you have to report to, which is random so be prepared to travel. I live in the Bronx and they put me in Flatbush for training. They also talk to everyone about the importance of the job etc. 

4 hours ago, Natalie said:

@merdtd93 a bunch of paperwork asking if you have any tickets, pending violations etc. any criminal history. They take a copy of your license, you fill out if you want a metro north  pass or LIRR pass. It takes a long time to fill out because everybody has to do it together and then people make mistakes and have to start all over again. Towards the end of the class they tell everyone which depot you have to report to, which is random so be prepared to travel. I live in the Bronx and they put me in Flatbush for training. They also talk to everyone about the importance of the job etc. 

I live in queens and they gave me MCH. That was a commute. 

On 9/5/2020 at 11:16 AM, Biggington said:

I report 9/13

Too late to go to a driving school for a cdl, just memorize the alsaps (air break test) ALSAPS = 1. Air leakage, 2. Low air alarm/buzzer 3. Spring brake (pop up), 4. Air compressor, 5. Parking brake (same as spring brakes, but different use here), and 6. Service brakes.  There’s a video in YouTube by some guy in Eastchester that shows you everything very detailed. Memorize every step and you will be good .. Good luck 

I went for medical on 8/25 for the 8/30 class but tell told me class is full. The lady in HR told me i will be schedule for 9/13 class and i had to tale the drug screen again! So i did the same day and told me to wait for an e-mail. Well today is the 9/7 and no email! I guess i wont start on 9/13

39 minutes ago, Jnrs1319 said:

I went for medical on 8/25 for the 8/30 class but tell told me class is full. The lady in HR told me i will be schedule for 9/13 class and i had to tale the drug screen again! So i did the same day and told me to wait for an e-mail. Well today is the 9/7 and no email! I guess i wont start on 9/13

First of all, welcome to the Forums!

Second, you are aware that today is a Federal and State Holiday, right? Therefore, most offices, including the HR Department at 180 Livingston Street are closed today.

Third, the results from the drug (urine) test are good for thirty (30) calendar days. Therefore, if you don't start on September 13th, you will probably and most likely be placed into the October class.

Again, welcome to the Forums!!