MaBSTOA B/O Exam #9100

+Young+
Message added by +Young+

For those who will be reporting to Livingston Street in the immediate future, click here for the pre-employment packet (if you need it). The CPD-B booklet is not necessary since this is not a civil service position.

For those of you who are still waiting, you folks might want to check out this and this YouTube video. In addition, if you need help getting your Class B CLP (Commercial Learner's Permit), I would encourage you to check out cristcdl.com, which is free! Remember, the multiple-choice tests you need to take and pass, at minimum, are General Knowledge, Air Brakes and Passenger Endorsement.

If you need to make an appointment at the DMV to take the multiple-choice examinations for your Commercial Learner's Permit, click here.

Good luck!

• Replies 790
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 9/8/2020 at 8:07 PM, Biggington said:

What’s the thing people struggle with the most during training? Driving? Pre trip? A certain driving maneuver?

im trying to study my pre trip the best I can before training starts. I only have a permit.

Can be a lot of things. You won't know what you lack in until you start that training. Most people can't remember the pre-trip or brake test adequately. (Which is fine, you'll get the whole week to figure it out) Some don't check their mirrors often enough, some don't call out every hazard, bike, pedestrian, rat, roach there is.

On 9/8/2020 at 8:09 PM, Natalie said:

@lornaevo His name is Bosco. He’s good. 

Bosco's cool. He does our equipment training in Staten Island.

On 9/10/2020 at 7:51 PM, Natalie said:

@luiggi0102 how is line training. Will I be driving the bus or just sitting and learning the routes?

Both. If you go to a TWU depot, you will be paired with a mentor operator for a few weeks before you actually begin line training. Line training, you will be paired with another operator for their entire run and you will be expected to drive a couple trips. Not everyone makes you drive but some make you drive it all. So be ready.

On 9/12/2020 at 10:37 AM, Biggington said:

Excited to report for my first day at zerega tomorrow! What time would be best to arrive for someone driving in? I know I’ve heard parking can be difficult. 

9 hours ago, Natalie said:

Today is day 12 and I finally got to pick my depot. Unfortunately I got stuck with Ulmer park depot in Brooklyn and I lice in the Bronx. The good thing I guess is that that’s the only depot that has express depots. 

Don't sweat it. They're getting ready to start the system pick, which takes effect in January. There's a high chance that you're going to pick (or get bumped) out of Ulmer Park and pick closer to home.

3 hours ago, SevenEleven said:

Can be a lot of things. You won't know what you lack in until you start that training. Most people can't remember the pre-trip or brake test adequately. (Which is fine, you'll get the whole week to figure it out) Some don't check their mirrors often enough, some don't call out every hazard, bike, pedestrian, rat, roach there is.

Bosco's cool. He does our equipment training in Staten Island.

Both. If you go to a TWU depot, you will be paired with a mentor operator for a few weeks before you actually begin line training. Line training, you will be paired with another operator for their entire run and you will be expected to drive a couple trips. Not everyone makes you drive but some make you drive it all. So be ready.

Don't sweat it. They're getting ready to start the system pick, which takes effect in January. There's a high chance that you're going to pick (or get bumped) out of Ulmer Park and pick closer to home.

When does system pick begin?

Just completed day 2 out of JFK. Lella is my instructor. He’s a nice guy but he gets tough when you’re in that drivers seat! 

I drove a little bit on day 1 for my first time ever and boy was I overwhelmed! I was shook when I got home. Now after day 2 I have gotten better but still a long way to go. I just hope I get good enough to qualify and hopefully before day 10 so I get an extra attempt at my road test just in case I need it. 

Turning and keeping the bus properly in a lane are my two biggest issues so far (I think). Any tips on how to make sure you’re going straight and not drifting?

good luck to all still in training!

@Biggington I kept messing up on my turns too. I kept either turning too early before my reference point or too late I just couldn’t get it and I  even started to give up and not return for day 3. I went home and practiced a little in my car and squared up my turns and practiced my reference points. Maybe you can try your best to just keep your wheel as sturdy as possible and keep your wheel on the traffic lane line’s that divides the street. Oh and most importantly  go SLOW, I’m talking crazy slow unless your supt. Says otherwise. Once you go slow you should be able to keep your bus in your lane. If you got better after day 1 then that’s good, that’s what they are looking for, progression not perfection. That’s what my supt told me 

22 minutes ago, Natalie said:

@Biggington I kept messing up on my turns too. I kept either turning too early before my reference point or too late I just couldn’t get it and I  even started to give up and not return for day 3. I went home and practiced a little in my car and squared up my turns and practiced my reference points. Maybe you can try your best to just keep your wheel as sturdy as possible and keep your wheel on the traffic lane line’s that divides the street. Oh and most importantly  go SLOW, I’m talking crazy slow unless your supt. Says otherwise. Once you go slow you should be able to keep your bus in your lane. If you got better after day 1 then that’s good, that’s what they are looking for, progression not perfection. That’s what my supt told me 

Thank you Natalie for your reply. I cannot deny that I felt overwhelmed and had serious doubts after Day 1!! But I knew I was over reacting. My group is only 3 people (the other 2 have their CDLs and both have experience driving school buses) so perhaps I got a little extra exposure to driving on my first day. 

Part of my struggle with turning is also not knowing how much to turn the wheel, or when to stop turning and let it glide and then begin to straighten the bus out. @Natalie did you start with just your permit or CDL? 

I also need to get a better feel for the accelerator and how much I need to press it to really move the bus slow and steady. My instructor exclamations sometimes definitely makes me accelerate too much at some points. 

I hope for a better outcome tomorrow on day 3. 

1 hour ago, Biggington said:

Thank you Natalie for your reply. I cannot deny that I felt overwhelmed and had serious doubts after Day 1!! But I knew I was over reacting. My group is only 3 people (the other 2 have their CDLs and both have experience driving school buses) so perhaps I got a little extra exposure to driving on my first day. 

Part of my struggle with turning is also not knowing how much to turn the wheel, or when to stop turning and let it glide and then begin to straighten the bus out. @Natalie did you start with just your permit or CDL? 

I also need to get a better feel for the accelerator and how much I need to press it to really move the bus slow and steady. My instructor exclamations sometimes definitely makes me accelerate too much at some points. 

I hope for a better outcome tomorrow on day 3. 

Even if you go to day 10 don’t let that discourage you. 

Once you pass your training you will be driving another type of bus that is way smoother and easier to drive I call it the blue and yellow C class . 

take a deep breath before taking your turns , take the mask off if you have to . And push and pull that steering wheel slow and smooth until you master your turns 

good luck 

54 minutes ago, luiggi0102 said:

Even if you go to day 10 don’t let that discourage you. 

Once you pass your training you will be driving another type of bus that is way smoother and easier to drive I call it the blue and yellow C class . 

take a deep breath before taking your turns , take the mask off if you have to . And push and pull that steering wheel slow and smooth until you master your turns 

good luck 

Thank you for the reply @luiggi0102 I appreciate any tips anyone has! 

I know not to expect to pass on day 7 but I am worried about going to day 10 and losing out on the second chance at a road test (if needed). I’d hate to come so far with the mta and lose out cause I do something stupid on my road test and it’s all wasted. I can’t wait to get back behind that wheel tomorrow for day 3!! 

20 minutes ago, Biggington said:

I know not to expect to pass on day 7 but I am worried about going to day 10 and losing out on the second chance at a road test (if needed). I’d hate to come so far with the mta and lose out cause I do something stupid on my road test and it’s all wasted. I can’t wait to get back behind that wheel tomorrow for day 3!! 

My apologies if I'm annoying, however don't forget about the handouts!!

Good luck!!

6 hours ago, lornaevo said:

We just picked for fall. 

Yeah. System pick for TWU is a very long process, it will be going on for the next couple of months. I think it started a little bit earlier than usual because of COVID. 

4 hours ago, Biggington said:

Just completed day 2 out of JFK. Lella is my instructor. He’s a nice guy but he gets tough when you’re in that drivers seat! 

I drove a little bit on day 1 for my first time ever and boy was I overwhelmed! I was shook when I got home. Now after day 2 I have gotten better but still a long way to go. I just hope I get good enough to qualify and hopefully before day 10 so I get an extra attempt at my road test just in case I need it. 

Turning and keeping the bus properly in a lane are my two biggest issues so far (I think). Any tips on how to make sure you’re going straight and not drifting?

good luck to all still in training!

When you're driving along a straight road, try to align the A pillar to the lane marking on the left side of the bus. It should be going over the marking at the same distance. Cross check the proximity of the markings to your rear left wheels through your driver side mirror. If you start drifting, you will see your wheels move accordingly. When you start doing bus drops around Day 4 or so, you can start using the middle of the windshield with the right side lane markers to keep straight.

As for turns, think it out before you do it. The reference points and when to use them are pretty spot on but you're out in the real world and sometimes, you might have to freestyle some turns. Whatever type of turn you make, you MUST follow it through in your mirrors to make sure that you're not going to run over the curb.

Right side turns, you set it up, start turning and watch the curb in the convex. As the back tire get closer to the curb, pick it up in the flat mirror for more precise movement. You might have to come up, you might have some more space to play with. As you're coming thru the turn, watch the front. You might have to come out to the left because of something on your right (or if you're going to hit the curb) or you might have to push a car out the way.

If you are next to the curb when making a right turn, you must hook it or it's going to be a pivot turn. You turn regular and you will be on the curb.

4 hours ago, SevenEleven said:

If you are next to the curb when making a right turn, you must hook it or it's going to be a pivot turn. You turn regular and you will be on the curb.

This is what trips up a LOT of students.

When I had to go to Zerega for a refresher earlier this year we were taken through the "Day 10" course that they use for those who get that far- one such turn is even referred to as the "Day 10 Turn" from the superintendent that was evaluating us. There is a bus stop at this corner and it's a pretty tight right. You have to hook that bus to keep from hitting that curb. 

17 hours ago, SevenEleven said:

Yeah. System pick for TWU is a very long process, it will be going on for the next couple of months. I think it started a little bit earlier than usual because of COVID. 

When you're driving along a straight road, try to align the A pillar to the lane marking on the left side of the bus. It should be going over the marking at the same distance. Cross check the proximity of the markings to your rear left wheels through your driver side mirror. If you start drifting, you will see your wheels move accordingly. When you start doing bus drops around Day 4 or so, you can start using the middle of the windshield with the right side lane markers to keep straight.

As for turns, think it out before you do it. The reference points and when to use them are pretty spot on but you're out in the real world and sometimes, you might have to freestyle some turns. Whatever type of turn you make, you MUST follow it through in your mirrors to make sure that you're not going to run over the curb.

Right side turns, you set it up, start turning and watch the curb in the convex. As the back tire get closer to the curb, pick it up in the flat mirror for more precise movement. You might have to come up, you might have some more space to play with. As you're coming thru the turn, watch the front. You might have to come out to the left because of something on your right (or if you're going to hit the curb) or you might have to push a car out the way.

@SevenEleven thank you for the reply. I must say after day 3 I feel more comfortable behind the wheel but still hit a curb today. I’m sure all instructors are different but I haven’t heard anything called an “A pillar” yet so I am a little confused about what you’re referring to. Hopefully I keep comfortable and improve my forward planning as well. 

I see you work on Staten Island? I live on Staten Island myself and would love to work close to home. How do you feel about working and driving on Staten Island?

1 hour ago, Biggington said:

I’m sure all instructors are different but I haven’t heard anything called an “A pillar” yet so I am a little confused about what you’re referring to. Hopefully I keep comfortable and improve my forward planning as well.

See the image below. As time progresses, you should improve. Good luck!!

(Source: Page 10 of http://atu569.serveftp.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/Transit-Bus-Structure-and-Mirrors-3-30-2016.pdf)

'A' Pillar.jpg

7 hours ago, Biggington said:

@SevenEleven thank you for the reply. I must say after day 3 I feel more comfortable behind the wheel but still hit a curb today. I’m sure all instructors are different but I haven’t heard anything called an “A pillar” yet so I am a little confused about what you’re referring to. Hopefully I keep comfortable and improve my forward planning as well. 

I see you work on Staten Island? I live on Staten Island myself and would love to work close to home. How do you feel about working and driving on Staten Island?

Where the Speakeasy is mounted, that's your A pillar. 

Staten Island is a breeze compared to the rest of the boros. I started when I was living in Queens and stayed in SI when I was offered the transfer to come back. You move up in seniority faster (1400 ops compared to the 8000+ that make up the rest of the system), you see better work faster (depending on what your definition of that is) and the union is way better than TWU. (No offense to them)

I just made 4 years and I already have weekends off on the PM side. The closest to weekends on the AM side is Sunday-Monday off or Monday-Tuesday if I take the list. You know that SI goes to sleep at 10 PM and that the car drivers drive like complete idiots here.

You won't be able to work in SI though since you're an OA employee. To get out here, you will have to take a TA exam, crossover to TA when they call and then put a transfer in SI. You will lose your seniority when you crossover, so if SI is your final destination, then get here ASAP. Otherwise, the closest depot to SI that you can pick into will be Ulmer Park, Flatbush (both off the Belt) and Jackie Gleason (off the Gowanus)

If you have more questions, hit me up. 

On 9/11/2020 at 1:03 PM, Natalie said:

It’s been quiet here lately, everyone is busy on their driving looks like. 

I just finished day 6 here and things are going very good for me. Looking forward to day 7 tomorrow. 

I wonder if we will do the same route as we did today in Manhattan starting from 34 and Lexington ave. Can anyone chime in?

50 minutes ago, mertd93 said:
On 9/11/2020 at 1:03 PM, Natalie said:

It’s been quiet here lately, everyone is busy on their driving looks like. 

I just finished day 6 here and things are going very good for me. Looking forward to day 7 tomorrow. 

I wonder if we will do the same route as we did today in Manhattan starting from 34 and Lexington ave. Can anyone chime in?

Day 7 is up to the Superintendent (just like Day 1), however chances are it will not be in Manhattan. Only Days 5 and 6 are in Manhattan.

However, Day 7 will consist of the pre-trip inspection. If you need help preparing for this, click here. The last two images contain the "checkoff" list, and a few of the other images will help you with the pre-trip as well.

Good luck!!