2038 Subway Map

EphraimB

11 minutes ago, EphraimB said:

I actually was diagnosed with PDD-NOS at the age of 3.

I was never diagnosed with anything. I just felt that I was different somehow. If I have a condition on the autism spectrum, it’s probably mild to the point of invisibility. Nevertheless, there are a lot of things I do to imitate an average person’s behavior when the situation calls for blending in/staying below the radar.

One thing I’m curious about is whether someone with a stronger condition can bend/mold their own character with willpower alone.

35 minutes ago, R68OnBroadway said:

I don't know why people keep on bringing up the idea of tying the (3) into Jerome... the last thing we need is more reverse branching, and if we do this, we just limited gained capacity from fixing Rogers. For now I think we should leave the (3) alone and wait until demand is needed in an underserved area, but if feasible in the future, we could extend it north to be a crosstown line, or we could do something nuts like extend it across 161st/ 163rd and then Bruckner to Throgs Neck or something like that. 

I thought of it because dispatching the (3) out of Concourse/Jerome the way you suggested would only make sense if it has a regular in-service track connection to Concourse, and the simplest way to accomplish that is to hook it into the (4) between 149 St and 161 St. There are other, significantly more expensive ways of doing it (sending the (3) via 155 St (B)(D) , 167 St/MLK Jr. Blvd, then Cross Bronx/MLK Jr, Tremont/MLK Jr, 180/MLK Jr, 183/University, Fordham/University, and Kingsbridge/University before terminating at Bedford Park Bl/Paul Av with a Concourse Yard connection) but doing that wouldn't necessarily make a ton of sense.

1 hour ago, Coney Island Av said:

Autism isn't the free card

forum is supposed to encourage a friendly discussion, not some brawl-out between someone who's autistic and offended members

we shouldn't waste time trying to have a civilized discussion with this dude

Just let him be the autistic hypocrite he wants to be

Before anything else, I'd suggest you do some research on autism and ASD; perhaps you'll gain a slightly better understanding of matters.

But anyway: we're a community of people with one very specific - and not especially common - shared interest. The reality is that for many people with ASD, these forums and the railfan community in general, has provided a safe space in a world largely intolerant of those with mental differences. This is something that we have to accept, and, beyond that, something that we should really be embracing. We should be proud of the fact that our community is one that includes and welcomes people with ASD and various other differences. I understand that we're frustrated over "having" to refute - which we don't - the proposal to extend the (A) in Far Rockaway, but @EphraimB's willingness to table what he sees as an improvement to the transit system is something that at the most basic level should be applauded.

@RR503 wrote about this last time we (you) worked ourselves into a tizzy over the aforementioned proposal - but the process of transit proposal (and urban planning or design on a broader scale) is something that should be more democratic; it is something that anyone who has an experience with transit or the built environment should be able to contribute to. I'm confident and optimistic that we will be able to have civilized and productive discussions with anyone on this forum. I'd love to discuss transit improvements in the Rockaways; it's an area that certainly should have better connections, and while extending the (A) beyond its current terminus isn't the solution, @EphraimB's (and others') own experiences as Rockaway residents should guide our discussions in this. This is what we should be talking about, not reiterating the same things every time we see this idea pop up. That's not going to make anything better.

I'd like you to think about you own experience here, @Coney Island Av: we've dealt with several unproductive discussions involving you. I'd think to think that's been placed solidly in the past, and that we all learned from said discussions. So why are we doing this all over again? Let's talk proposals; that's what we're all here for, and we all bring something to the table. If you don't agree, suggest differently, but yelling and calling for the mass-ignoring of a fellow forum member isn't the way forward here.

It's interesting that EphraimB is very polite and measured while we have a bunch of newer members who just flip out and go ballistic if someone talks about something they don't want to hear. He actually sets a much better example of the kind of conduct I'd like to see more around here.

Yes! What was said above. Literally a few days after we polluted many pages of the random thoughts topic with mediocre memes and poorly thought out ‘roasts,’ we are once again meandering willy nilly through the middle earth of rhetoric, groveling for upvotes while adding nothing except for data costs to NYCTF as a whole. I usually refrain from downvoting, as I think it is a petty and unconstructive way of expressing an objection, but I am indulging here. 

In other words, @Lance, clean up on aisle three. 

I would also like to echo what @officiallyliam said above. Whatever the proposal, whatever the person, it is imperative for the preservation of good discussion on these forums that we treat all proposals fairly, and refrain from unwarranted personal attacks — especially against those who we know may need additional assistance in understanding what we’re trying to say. To this end, I honestly would like to commend @EphraimB on persevering through this tsunami of asininity to further his agenda — the poise and persistence he displays in his posts clearly reveals him to be a better transit advocate than any of those posting ‘arguments’ against him. 

7 hours ago, EphraimB said:

Yes

Well in that case, I'll respect your decision on your (A) extension to Reeds Lane from now on. You must have a strong willingness to keep pushing for this proposal despite countless reasons towards why it is not feasible.

9 hours ago, NoHacksJustKhaks said:

He already made a thread on the forum stating the bus service (headways and reliability) is abysmal, and I totally agree with his concern. It's one of the reasons he wants to push the (A) terminal back, besides the below.

He's autistic, I assume pretty he's pretty severe on the spectrum. One of it's effects are obsessive interests, which is pretty evident considering the amount of times he's supported the proposal (not that im using autism to justify his bringing up of the topic over 15 times with little justification in between). There's just no point in continuing to insult or even acknowledge him for what he is when he'll just come back and do what he did before. It's why i've been ignoring these forums lately and it hurts to watch.

Also (not trying to background mod), please, stop typing in such big bold text. It does nothing to your point more apparent, and only make's you look like more of an autist than EphraimB.

Alright. Apologies for making a fool out of myself 

7 hours ago, officiallyliam said:

Before anything else, I'd suggest you do some research on autism and ASD; perhaps you'll gain a slightly better understanding of matters.

But anyway: we're a community of people with one very specific - and not especially common - shared interest. The reality is that for many people with ASD, these forums and the railfan community in general, has provided a safe space in a world largely intolerant of those with mental differences. This is something that we have to accept, and, beyond that, something that we should really be embracing. We should be proud of the fact that our community is one that includes and welcomes people with ASD and various other differences. I understand that we're frustrated over "having" to refute - which we don't - the proposal to extend the (A) in Far Rockaway, but @EphraimB's willingness to table what he sees as an improvement to the transit system is something that at the most basic level should be applauded.

@RR503 wrote about this last time we (you) worked ourselves into a tizzy over the aforementioned proposal - but the process of transit proposal (and urban planning or design on a broader scale) is something that should be more democratic; it is something that anyone who has an experience with transit or the built environment should be able to contribute to. I'm confident and optimistic that we will be able to have civilized and productive discussions with anyone on this forum. I'd love to discuss transit improvements in the Rockaways; it's an area that certainly should have better connections, and while extending the (A) beyond its current terminus isn't the solution, @EphraimB's (and others') own experiences as Rockaway residents should guide our discussions in this. This is what we should be talking about, not reiterating the same things every time we see this idea pop up. That's not going to make anything better.

I'd like you to think about you own experience here, @Coney Island Av: we've dealt with several unproductive discussions involving you. I'd think to think that's been placed solidly in the past, and that we all learned from said discussions. So why are we doing this all over again? Let's talk proposals; that's what we're all here for, and we all bring something to the table. If you don't agree, suggest differently, but yelling and calling for the mass-ignoring of a fellow forum member isn't the way forward here.

I am on the spectrum myself–I have Aspergers. It isn't extreme, and many people don't notice it, but it is there. Respect @EphraimB and logically explain why his proposed extension doesn't work instead of writing in caps "what is wrong with you".

His lack of a defense to his proposals thus far, tells the story for me....

If he doesn't want to engage in any serious discourse with those of us that DO want to discuss his proposals, then quite frankly, I won't bother either.....

See someone like Wally that have long caught a shitload of flack on here in defending his proposals, but Ephraim is this pillar of the community that transit enthusiasts should be exemplary of (while being treated with kid gloves nonetheless) - while barely defending anything thus far..... Now I'm not saying that he should be disrespectfully torn to shreds on here, but coddling this dude isn't exactly the answer either....

Case in point.... OIG brought up that he finds the (2)/(5) part of the dude's proposal interesting.... R68 more or less follows suit in the proceeding reply.... Good natured comments to that part of the proposal.... Instead of any type of acknowledgment and/or further expounding his thought process behind it, we get nothing.....

9 hours ago, EphraimB said:

It's an 8-minute walk to the Q114.

That's not too far. If the bus stop is an 8 minute walk, start walking to it 11 minutes before the bus comes, and your wait will be minimal.

16 minutes ago, P3F said:

That's not too far. If the bus stop is an 8 minute walk, start walking to it 11 minutes before the bus comes, and your wait will be minimal.

Delays are very common on the Q113/Q114. I walked to the train station a few minutes ago via Cornaga Av to get both the Q113 and Q114 and the MTA Bus Time said 6 minutes. I decided to walk to the next bus stop and the minutes barely changed. I made it to the train station faster than the bus.

The bus only goes 8 minutes in my way (8 minute walk + bus ride killing 8 minutes of my walk + 2 minute walk). Also, there's a lot of traffic a lot of times making the bus sometimes making me lose time vs walking. I walked past all the bus stations on the way looking at MTA Bus Time on my phone the whole time and those errors are very frustrating.

Seriously guys? Again? You guys are all over the age of five, right? If you strongly disagree with someone's idea and feel that the person in question isn't listening to you, perhaps it's time to stop wasting your energy on the topic. Here's a novel concept: either ignore the topic or the poster, I honestly don't care which. However, if we have to constantly babysit certain members here to keep them from lashing out at other members, there will be consequences. This isn't a nursery school and you all should know better by now.

• Lance locked this topic

Archived