HTF is South Ferry in a GO??

Deucey

At least you're asking the right questions. Some of the others would've probably asked "how is the loop platform not being reinstated for this GO? The trains are going thru it anyway wawawa foamfoamfoam"

Back to the question: Those switches and tracks were heavily used by weekend (2) trains in addition to normal (1) service for almost all of those aforementioned 13 months, which might have something to do with why the tracks need replacing.

13 minutes ago, paulrivera said:

At least you're asking the right questions. Some of the others would've probably asked "how is the loop platform not being reinstated for this GO? The trains are going thru it anyway wawawa foamfoamfoam"

Back to the question: Those switches and tracks were heavily used by weekend (2) trains in addition to normal (1) service for almost all of those aforementioned 13 months, which might have something to do with why the tracks need replacing.

13 months though...

4 hours ago, Deucey said:

Word on the announcement at 18 St is (1) ends at Rector St because of track replacement between It and South Ferry.

South Ferry just opened June 2017. How can it need track replacement after 13 months?

New South Ferry opened in 2009. Presumably the contract for rebuilding South Ferry didn't also include the tracks leading up to it, which were still in use for the old loop station.

10 hours ago, Deucey said:

13 months though...

13 months is like a blink of an eye. Properly installed tracks would be able to stay in service for many years considering what I’ve seen on other lines; those lines’ tracks don’t get replaced for years at a time.

http://railroadforums.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-long-do-tracks-last.258/

55 minutes ago, CenSin said:

13 months is like a blink of an eye. Properly installed tracks would be able to stay in service for many years considering what I’ve seen on other lines; those lines’ tracks don’t get replaced for years at a time.

http://railroadforums.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-long-do-tracks-last.258/

Kinda my point. All those GOs where (1) didn't go to South Ferry during the rebuild and it never "came up" to anyone to replace the track.

I imagine a lot of the track replacement work is done on weekends with only minor work taking place during late nights and/or midday hours. With the aforementioned Clark St tunnel closure requiring South Ferry to remain open for all weekends, it was likely impossible to do any real work until that project ended. That's likely why there was no (4) train service in Brooklyn the weekend immediately after Clark St reopened.

Archived