5th Ave Bus Routing

MHV9218

Trying to figure out roughly when the 5th Avenue bus services stopped making a right-hand turn on 25th Street on to Broadway. Had a crazy person moment trying to tell somebody about that routing the other day, they had no recollection of that ever happening. To the best of my memory, at least the local routes turned off 5th, onto Broadway, made a stop mid-block on 24th-25th and 5th, and then got back on 5th to 23rd. I can't remember if it was the M2, M3, and M5 all times, just the M3, or the M3 all times and M2/5 during local service. I think that was stopped long before the 2010 cuts that removed some other helpful detours (M3 via University, M1 via Park), maybe in 2007-2008?  Maybe in 2009 when Bloomberg closed part of Broadway? Maybe somebody has a good memory. My 2004 M3 timetable doesn't show anything on the map, and my 1999 M3 timetable doesn't even have a map. I'm guessing at 2007 or 2008...some folks were probably three or four years old around then! Anybody know?

Real nostalgia: I remember riding a GMC RTS down that route that kept losing power at the stoplights. We'd stop every other block and the air starter would kick back in...old school!

On 7/18/2018 at 7:19 AM, B35 via Church said:

Oh, that turn in question definitely existed..... The M2/3/5 stopped doing so, after the first phase of the Broadway reconfiguration (23rd - 59th) was completed... That was sometime in 2009, before the cuts....

Am I crazy for thinking it was before then? I was taking the 2 every day to Astor for a gig I had in 2009, don't think it was still making that turn. But then I dunno why they would have changed it before the redesign...

Archived