Passengers Run For Cover As Shots Rang Out On 3 Train in East New York

Off-duty transit worker shot in arm on Brooklyn subway

By ANDY MAI and JOHN ANNESE| NEW YORK DAILY NEWS |JUL 17, 2018 | 7:20 PM

ny-1531873459-vz97hcjki8-snap-image

An off-duty transit worker was shot after a fight broke out on a No. 3 train in Brooklyn on Tuesday. (Ken Murray / NEW YORK DAILY NEWS)

An off-duty transit worker was hit with a stray bullet on a rush-hour No. 3 train in Brooklyn after a fight broke out, cops and transit sources said Tuesday.

The shooting sent terrified commuters scrambling out of the station at Sutter Ave. and Rutland Road about 6:10 p.m.. on Tuesday.

The victim – identified by sources as Carlo Thorne, a 47-year-old maintenance supervisor – was on the train at the Brownsville stop when two groups of people started arguing, cops said.

He was on his way home from work when the fight started, with seven people squaring off against three, NYPD Deputy Chief Michael Kemper said.

When the train stopped, one of the men involved in the fight got off, then pulled out a gun and opened fire, striking Thorne in the arm, Kemper said.

Medics took Thorne to Kings County Hospital with non-life-threatening injuries.

“(MTA) Chairman (Joe) Lhota and I visited our colleague tonight and it was great to see him surrounded by family and in very good spirits,” said NYC Transit President Andy Byford.

Thorne was not wearing his uniform, police sources said.

“I saw people running. You could see the fright on their faces,” said a station agent, who spoke through a union official Tuesday night. “Everyone was running out. I asked what happened, but no one wanted to stop. They just kept running. I activated the (emergency communications system) to get the police here.”

Police sources said the bullet grazed Thorne, and the shooter may have handed the gun off to a woman, who fled the scene. Thorne, who made his way from the platform to the mezzanine, wrapped a shirt around his arm where he had been shot, sources said.

Moments later, police stopped a cab at Ralph Ave. and E. 98th St. and arrested three young men inside, said Angelo Warren, 23, who works at a nearby Family Dollar store.

“They basically were explaining themselves and they took them in,” Warren said. “They didn’t even look (like) they tried to run. They were completely surrounded.”

Police said three suspects, ages 17, 22 and 23, were in custody. It wasn’t clear if any of them were suspected of being the shooter.

“Transit workers are on the front lines of moving millions of New Yorkers every day and this shouldn't happen to anyone,” Lhota said. “We're thankful that the police have responded in a substantial way and look forward to seeing any and all perpetrators held accountable.”

NYPD Transit Chief Edward Delatorre said the subway system hasn’t seen a shooting since 2015.

“In reality, the system is very safe. It’s safer than it’s ever been,” he said. “With approximately 6 million riders a day riding in a transit system, an average of six crimes a day, that’s very, very safe.”

With Kerry Burke and Dan Rivoli

Source: http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/nyc-crime/ny-metro-transit-worker-shot-brooklyn-subway-20180717-story.html

3 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Off-duty transit worker shot in arm on Brooklyn subway

By ANDY MAI and JOHN ANNESE| NEW YORK DAILY NEWS |JUL 17, 2018 | 7:20 PM

ny-1531873459-vz97hcjki8-snap-image

An off-duty transit worker was shot after a fight broke out on a No. 3 train in Brooklyn on Tuesday. (Ken Murray / NEW YORK DAILY NEWS)

An off-duty transit worker was hit with a stray bullet on a rush-hour No. 3 train in Brooklyn after a fight broke out, cops and transit sources said Tuesday.

The shooting sent terrified commuters scrambling out of the station at Sutter Ave. and Rutland Road about 6:10 p.m.. on Tuesday.

The victim – identified by sources as Carlo Thorne, a 47-year-old maintenance supervisor – was on the train at the Brownsville stop when two groups of people started arguing, cops said.

He was on his way home from work when the fight started, with seven people squaring off against three, NYPD Deputy Chief Michael Kemper said.

When the train stopped, one of the men involved in the fight got off, then pulled out a gun and opened fire, striking Thorne in the arm, Kemper said.

Medics took Thorne to Kings County Hospital with non-life-threatening injuries.

“(MTA) Chairman (Joe) Lhota and I visited our colleague tonight and it was great to see him surrounded by family and in very good spirits,” said NYC Transit President Andy Byford.

Thorne was not wearing his uniform, police sources said.

“I saw people running. You could see the fright on their faces,” said a station agent, who spoke through a union official Tuesday night. “Everyone was running out. I asked what happened, but no one wanted to stop. They just kept running. I activated the (emergency communications system) to get the police here.”

Police sources said the bullet grazed Thorne, and the shooter may have handed the gun off to a woman, who fled the scene. Thorne, who made his way from the platform to the mezzanine, wrapped a shirt around his arm where he had been shot, sources said.

Moments later, police stopped a cab at Ralph Ave. and E. 98th St. and arrested three young men inside, said Angelo Warren, 23, who works at a nearby Family Dollar store.

“They basically were explaining themselves and they took them in,” Warren said. “They didn’t even look (like) they tried to run. They were completely surrounded.”

Police said three suspects, ages 17, 22 and 23, were in custody. It wasn’t clear if any of them were suspected of being the shooter.

“Transit workers are on the front lines of moving millions of New Yorkers every day and this shouldn't happen to anyone,” Lhota said. “We're thankful that the police have responded in a substantial way and look forward to seeing any and all perpetrators held accountable.”

NYPD Transit Chief Edward Delatorre said the subway system hasn’t seen a shooting since 2015.

“In reality, the system is very safe. It’s safer than it’s ever been,” he said. “With approximately 6 million riders a day riding in a transit system, an average of six crimes a day, that’s very, very safe.”

With Kerry Burke and Dan Rivoli

Source: http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/nyc-crime/ny-metro-transit-worker-shot-brooklyn-subway-20180717-story.html

These teenagers nowadays are straight punks..Look at the ages that where arrested...I mean every arguement or disagreement has to end in violence someone being stabbed or shot....<_<....Whatever happened to a normal fist fight and keeping it moving.....

These teenagers will wake up when they are on their way to Downstate or Elmira with a  15 or 20 years to life sentence. When the telephone calls to momma and their friends are not accepted so the packages are no longer coming, they will receive the message loud and clear, you did the crime now do the time.

I had inmates working for me who had sentences of 15 years or 20 years to life and if you asked any of them if they had any regrets about doing the crime, the answer would be definitely yes as when you are 40 years or above and you are a parolee, it is very hard to get a job. 

2 hours ago, biGC323232 said:

These teenagers nowadays are straight punks..Look at the ages that where arrested...I mean every arguement or disagreement has to end in violence someone being stabbed or shot....<_<....Whatever happened to a normal fist fight and keeping it moving.....

I know.  In my day (lol - I sound like an old-timer even though I'm not as I'm a millennial), that's what you did. Most of this younger generation (Generation Z is it?)... They're all punks. lol

18 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

I know.  In my day (lol - I sound like an old-timer even though I'm not as I'm a millennial), that's what you did. Most of this younger generation (Generation Z is it?)... They're all punks. lol

Nice. I'm either a millennial or a Gen. Z, however. The actions of these teens (or whoever shot the MTA worker (Thorne) ), it was just...

DISGRACEFUL, DISGUSTING, & DISPICABLE

21 hours ago, biGC323232 said:

Whatever happened to mano y mano (as well)....

It took 5 MF-ers to ravage & decimate that kid up in the Bronx earlier this month & now in this particular altercation, there was a seven-on-three.... These effeminate ass dudes out here aint got no hands & they always roll in f***** packs....

Yeah, they're all punks, because that's how they were raised.... Masculinity is not innate & sooner or later, these irresponsible ass parents are gonna get the message.

20 hours ago, Interested Rider said:

These teenagers will wake up when they are on their way to Downstate or Elmira with a  15 or 20 years to life sentence. When the telephone calls to momma and their friends are not accepted so the packages are no longer coming, they will receive the message loud and clear, you did the crime now do the time.

I had inmates working for me who had sentences of 15 years or 20 years to life and if you asked any of them if they had any regrets about doing the crime, the answer would be definitely yes as when you are 40 years or above and you are a parolee, it is very hard to get a job. 

Lol. waking up....

This is all a part of a vicious circle & it starts with how these dudes are being brought up.... Their only regret is that they got caught.

15 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

Whatever happened to mano y mano (as well)....

It took 5 MF-ers to ravage & decimate that kid up in the Bronx earlier this month & now in this particular altercation, there was a seven-on-three.... These effeminate ass dudes out here aint got no hands & they always roll in f***** packs....

Actually 12, as that's how many they found and are prosecuting.  That whole incident was disgusting, and then one of them contacted the mother to apologize.  A little too late now...

20 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Actually 12, as that's how many they found and are prosecuting.  That whole incident was disgusting, and then one of them contacted the mother to apologize.  A little too late now...

Oh yeah, forgot about all them MF-ers that were awaiting in idled cars..... Good riddance to every single one of them that end up being caught.

Archived