New Goethals Br is amazing

• 2 weeks later...

The Outerbridge is actually busier than the Goethals, the latter just seems busier because trucks use it far more compared to the Outerbridge.  It does make me wonder - if the Outerbridge sees more traffic but it's the same age as the old Goethals was, why did the PA replace the Goethals first?

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/2/2018 at 1:08 AM, Joel Up Front said:

The Outerbridge is actually busier than the Goethals, the latter just seems busier because trucks use it far more compared to the Outerbridge.  It does make me wonder - if the Outerbridge sees more traffic but it's the same age as the old Goethals was, why did the PA replace the Goethals first?

It’s not the Outerbridge see about 5,000 less cars.

• 2 weeks later...

I've seen it (whilst on an NJT bus), but I haven't used it.... No desire to no time soon, to keep it a buck....

I can tell you what will be using the new Goethals bridge like it's going out of style though - All them dam trucks that'll be funneling into that new Matrix Park facility.

On 8/2/2018 at 1:08 AM, Joel Up Front said:

The Outerbridge is actually busier than the Goethals, the latter just seems busier because trucks use it far more compared to the Outerbridge.

I'd say they're more or less even... Overall traffic/usage on the Goethals is more consistent during the course of a day, giving off the impression that it's busier...
(More truck usage on the Goethals is true though)

Driving over the Outerbridge is still somewhat scary.  The approaches are nice and wide (PANYNJ widened them in the early '60s) but the lanes on the main span are still only 10 feet wide each.  That might have cut it when the bridge opened 90 years ago, but the fact that the Port Authority saw it as a problem as early as the 1960s doesn't mean anything good.  They weren't able to do the same thing to the old Goethals for some reason which meant your lane was basically the width of your car until you got off the bridge - I drove the limit on the Goethals because it was that narrow.  The Interstate lane standard is 12' wide, but 11.5' like the Verrazano and the GWB have are a lot better than 10'. 

On 8/20/2018 at 11:13 PM, Joel Up Front said:

Driving over the Outerbridge is still somewhat scary.  The approaches are nice and wide (PANYNJ widened them in the early '60s) but the lanes on the main span are still only 10 feet wide each.  That might have cut it when the bridge opened 90 years ago, but the fact that the Port Authority saw it as a problem as early as the 1960s doesn't mean anything good.  They weren't able to do the same thing to the old Goethals for some reason which meant your lane was basically the width of your car until you got off the bridge - I drove the limit on the Goethals because it was that narrow.  The Interstate lane standard is 12' wide, but 11.5' like the Verrazano and the GWB have are a lot better than 10'. 

The Whitestone Br is pretty narrow as well.

Archived