Worst bus routes in NYC? M42 the slowest, B12 most unreliable, advocates say

Via Garibaldi 8

9 minutes ago, Future ENY OP said:

To me honestly it would of been better to run out of FB for a few reasons. The sheepshead bay end to FB is only 15 mins from the depot also easy inter line with the 44. The way the schedule is set up it is made for Bay Ridge and not to deal with the Sheepshead end. 

I totally believe you @Via Garibaldi 8

Yes it's true. In the past when I've been making my way to Bay Ridge for the X27, sometimes the B/O will drop me along Shore Rd and then deadhead back to Gleason.

7 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Yes it's true. In the past when I've been making my way to Bay Ridge for the X27, sometimes the B/O will drop me along Shore Rd and then deadhead back to Gleason.

Correct. The Bay Ridge end is via 3rd Avenue to Gleason.  SMDH. To me the schedule needs to reflect Sheepshead/Gravesend along with Bay Ridge. Hopefully when they (NYCT) and (MTA) does the route re-configuration for Brooklyn this issue is addressed. 

1 minute ago, Future ENY OP said:

Correct. The Bay Ridge end is via 3rd Avenue to Gleason.  SMDH. To me the schedule needs to reflect Sheepshead/Gravesend along with Bay Ridge. Hopefully when they (NYCT) and (MTA) does the route re-configuration for Brooklyn this issue is addressed. 

What amazes me about the B4 particularly in Sheepshead Bay is how much of the route drivers will skip. I've had buses start all the way up by Sheepshead Bay Road skipping all of the areas away from the subway which has been steadily growing in ridership.

18 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

What amazes me about the B4 particularly in Sheepshead Bay is how much of the route drivers will skip. I've had buses start all the way up by Sheepshead Bay Road skipping all of the areas away from the subway which has been steadily growing in ridership.

Even though I’m from Flatbush as a kid I would frequent to Sheepshead Bay along Avenue Z, Sheepshead Bay Road, and towards Coney Island and through observations drivers rarely pay attention to the stops in the area. 

I even have problems with the B36 with Ulmer Park. That to me also should of been a FB depot managed route. Once again, depot proximity to the terminal and easy interline with the 44. The whole Sheepshead Bay really needs realignment and all should be FB based and not UP/JG. 

24 minutes ago, Future ENY OP said:

Even though I’m from Flatbush as a kid I would frequent to Sheepshead Bay along Avenue Z, Sheepshead Bay Road, and towards Coney Island and through observations drivers rarely pay attention to the stops in the area. 

I even have problems with the B36 with Ulmer Park. That to me also should of been a FB depot managed route. Once again, depot proximity to the terminal and easy interline with the 44. The whole Sheepshead Bay really needs realignment and all should be FB based and not UP/JG. 

I wouldn't go that far.  Ulmer Park has mismanagement issues, but Flatbush Depot has its own problems. The B36 has been run poorly going back to the 90s.

To be honest if the MTA wasn't unable to extend the (S) due to tracks that would conflict with already busy lines, they would have extended to be a full crosstown shuttle and eliminated the M42 by now... I'd say the only reason why the M42 still exists is to shuttle riders to GCT/(the (7) and (S)) east of Park and for disabled people/seniors who cannot navigate steps... If they built a (7) stop at 41st/10th, you could probably see nearly only seniors/disabled people still on the bus past Park Av...

16 hours ago, R68OnBroadway said:

To be honest if the MTA wasn't unable to extend the (S) due to tracks that would conflict with already busy lines, they would have extended to be a full crosstown shuttle and eliminated the M42 by now... I'd say the only reason why the M42 still exists is to shuttle riders to GCT/(the (7) and (S)) east of Park and for disabled people/seniors who cannot navigate steps... If they built a (7) stop at 41st/10th, you could probably see nearly only seniors/disabled people still on the bus past Park Av...

Even with that, you can't eliminate the M42....ridership on the far east and far west side is going up(especially on the West Side because of new development), and it's heavily used by both locals and tourists.

People have said that the M15 would see a ridership decrease due to the 2nd Avenue Subway....nope.

1 hour ago, Cait Sith said:

Even with that, you can't eliminate the M42....ridership on the far east and far west side is going up(especially on the West Side because of new development), and it's heavily used by both locals and tourists.

People have said that the M15 would see a ridership decrease due to the 2nd Avenue Subway....nope.

I'm not sure what you're basing that M15 comment on, but it did indeed lose ridership and has been for at least the last five years despite it having SBS.

3 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

I'm not sure what you're basing that M15 comment on, but it did indeed lose ridership and has been for at least the last five years despite it having SBS.

When the Second Avenue Subway opened, a lot of people were saying that it would take off a lot of ridership from the M15 Local and SBS, and it hardly did. It took more pressure off of the 4/5/6 than it did on the M15.

24 minutes ago, Cait Sith said:

When the Second Avenue Subway opened, a lot of people were saying that it would take off a lot of ridership from the M15 Local and SBS, and it hardly did. It took more pressure off of the 4/5/6 than it did on the M15.

But what are you basing that off of? You keep saying that when the factual information says otherwise. If you're going off of observations they could be flawed. Either that or fare beating has increased because ridership has decreased on the line for the last five years at a minimum.

I'd say the M15 looks fuller too, but part of that is because the line bunches like crazy, so of course the line will still look busy.

30 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

But what are you basing that off of? You keep saying that when the factual information says otherwise. If you're going off of observations they could be flawed. Either that or fare beating has increased because ridership has decreased on the line for the last five years at a minimum.

I'd say the M15 looks fuller too, but part of that is because the line bunches like crazy, so of course the line will still look busy.

The actual numbers, the line altogether only lost about 4% of riders(3.2% to be exact) since SAS opened.

2 hours ago, Cait Sith said:

The actual numbers, the line altogether only lost about 4% of riders(3.2% to be exact) since SAS opened.

I don't know. Personally I don't see how SAS would make a difference. I happen to agree with the difference in the Lex line. No question. With the bus, it was never that quick. I mean it never competed with the subway even when SAS wasn't around.

On 7/28/2018 at 3:55 PM, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

I don't know. Personally I don't see how SAS would make a difference. I happen to agree with the difference in the Lex line. No question. With the bus, it was never that quick. I mean it never competed with the subway even when SAS wasn't around.

The question is how many people are using the M15 for a trip between 63 and 96 Sts? I would argue not many. For all those other trips on the M15 it's still more useful than SAS.

7 hours ago, bobtehpanda said:

The question is how many people are using the M15 for a trip between 63 and 96 Sts? I would argue not many. For all those other trips on the M15 it's still more useful than SAS.

Right and besides that there are still seniors and disabled people that need the bus given how few stations in the system overall are ADA accessible.

21 hours ago, bobtehpanda said:

A lot of people do even those who are not disabled and or a senior. The same goes for several other routes like the Q56, Q60, M101/102/103 and etc that parallel subway routes. 

1 hour ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

A lot of people do even those who are not disabled and or a senior. The same goes for several other routes like the Q56, Q60, M101/102/103 and etc that parallel subway routes. 

You misunderstand what I'm saying. I'm saying that for the vast majority of trips, the SAS is not more useful than the M15, which is why you don't see much of a migration off of it; the SAS is fighting for a smallish share of the pie, and even then some people will always prefer the bus.

17 hours ago, bobtehpanda said:

You misunderstand what I'm saying. I'm saying that for the vast majority of trips, the SAS is not more useful than the M15, which is why you don't see much of a migration off of it; the SAS is fighting for a smallish share of the pie, and even then some people will always prefer the bus.

There will probably be a huge dip in M15 ridership once SAS extends to 125th street. However I do get what you are saying now with the SAS not being more useful. I think that is due to the huge gap in between stations unlike the (6) . The M15 still is useful in a sense where if I’m trying to go to 80th street and 2nd Ave I probably wouldn’t want to get off at either 86th or 72nd streets on the (Q) . If the 2nd Ave subway was completed back in the 50’s it most likely would have been like every other trunk line, where you’d have 4 tracks with express and local service. However now with the almost century long delay and lack of budget we are only getting stops at the most important spots and transfer points. 

Archived