A Route Which Doesn't Receive Much Attention...

A lot of routes on S.I have long headways.. most times you gotta wait a while for a bus to photograph.

As for BK, I notice that UP local routes don't receive much attention. Not surprised the BX17 and BX33 don't receive attention, the 17 outside of the Fordam Plaza area its a hood route and the BX33 terminated in the heart of the South B.X... I guess bus fans don't wanna venture into those areas with expensive cameras.

1 hour ago, trainfan22 said:

A lot of routes on S.I have long headways.. most times you gotta wait a while for a bus to photograph.

As for BK, I notice that UP local routes don't receive much attention. Not surprised the BX17 and BX33 don't receive attention, the 17 outside of the Fordam Plaza area its a hood route and the BX33 terminated in the heart of the South B.X... I guess bus fans don't wanna venture into those areas with expensive cameras.

Um: I digress about UP routes.  UP routes travel through some interesting places in Brooklyn including Coney Island and East New York. I mean the headways on the 36 is long. But if we were to talk about Brooklyn. I got a few in mind. 

FB: B2 

JG: B9, B16 

UP: B36, B74

FP: Q55

GA: B13  

5 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

Not every bus route is a hood bus lol

8 hours ago, Lil 57 said:

A lot of routes on SI don't get much attention,

S42, S51/81, S54, S55, S56, S57. Possibly the S40/90, S52, S76/86.

The S42 doesn't run during middays and weekends, and the S54/55/56/57 don't go to the ferry, which is the easiest spot to get to from the other boroughs, and also gives you the chance to photograph multiple bus routes. (The S51/81 I have no explanation for)

4 minutes ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

The S42 doesn't run during middays and weekends, and the S54/55/56/57 don't go to the ferry, which is the easiest spot to get to from the other boroughs, and also gives you the chance to photograph multiple bus routes. (The S51/81 I have no explanation for)

I can, and it's real simple....

Most of Bay st & all of Fr. Capodanno is BORING.

7 hours ago, Future ENY OP said:

Um: I digress about UP routes.  UP routes travel through some interesting places in Brooklyn including Coney Island and East New York. I mean the headways on the 36 is long. But if we were to talk about Brooklyn. I got a few in mind. 

FB: B2 

JG: B9, B16 

UP: B36, B74

FP: Q55

GA: B13  

What I meant when I said "don't receive much attention" I was talking about bus fans photographing their local buses, not that the neighborhoods they travel though aren't interesting lol.

Yes Coney Island is very interesting, IMO ENY is nothing special, I live right next to it in Canarsie and only go there for their food choices... which are chain restaurants like Wendy's and Checkers... every now and then I eat at one of those places and take the 3 into the city rather than the L.

2 hours ago, FLX9304 said:

Not every bus route is a hood bus lol

Yea I know, that was just my theory as to why the BX17 & 33 don't receive much attention.

6 hours ago, FLX9304 said:

Even the express bus routes that run thru there??

The stint along Fr. Capodanno is the least interesting part of the S51..... The fact that there's express routes running through there won't/doesn't change that....

On ‎7‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 12:19 PM, Cait Sith said:

That line even gets more love than the M106.

....or did, when it was split between 126 and MV.

This may come off as odd, but the main reason I think the M116 gets much of any mention that it does (on forums at least), is simply because it terminates with the infamous M60.... Not that should mean anything - given that the eastern portion of the route gets more usage than the western portion on top of that...

skit:

* Where does the M60 terminate at?
Over there on 106th/Broadway....
* 106th and Broadway? wth, What's over there of any importance? Pretty dumb to terminate the M60 there.
Well it's not too far from Columbia...
* Meh, what else run over there?
There's the M116...
* There's an M116 ?!?!!?

(seriously though, I get the sense that a lot of people think that the "highest numbered" crosstown is the M96.... As if to say, there's no 3-digit numbered crosstown route....

Case in point, while IDK if he was being facetious or not, but look at Lawrence st's reply about the M106 that garnered a couple chuckles)

8 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

The stint along Fr. Capodanno is the least interesting part of the S51..... The fact that there's express routes running through there won't/doesn't change that....

This may come off as odd, but the main reason I think the M116 gets much of any mention that it does (on forums at least), is simply because it terminates with the infamous M60.... Not that should mean anything - given that the eastern portion of the route gets more usage than the western portion on top of that...

Reveal hidden contents

skit:

* Where does the M60 terminate at?
Over there on 106th/Broadway....
* 106th and Broadway? wth, What's over there of any importance? Pretty dumb to terminate the M60 there.
Well it's not too far from Columbia...
* Meh, what else run over there?
There's the M116...
* There's an M116 ?!?!!?

(seriously though, I get the sense that a lot of people think that the "highest numbered" crosstown is the M96.... As if to say, there's no 3-digit numbered crosstown route....

Case in point, while IDK if he was being facetious or not, but look at Lawrence st's reply about the M106 that garnered a couple chuckles)

Well, there was also this.

MTA New York City Bus 1997 New Flyer D60HF 1101MTA New York City Bus 2012 NovaBus LFS Artic 1265

Also had some RTSs and Hybrids on it at the time. The M116 had every type of bus from 126th Street Depot on the line, same with the M31 when that line had artics on it every now and then, but they never really got as much attention from other fans.

On 7/30/2018 at 11:26 AM, Lil 57 said:

A lot of routes on SI don't get much attention,

S42, S51/81, S54, S55, S56, S57. Possibly the S40/90, S52, S76/86.

You're bugging, any route that comes from the St. George Ferry Terminal gets most of the attention.....since that's where most of the buses originate from.

It's not so much the routes that don't get the attention, but the locations. Most fans will forever stay at St. George, Eltingville or Staten Island Mall to get pics because it's the easiest places to get to and/or from.....between the S54, S55, S56 and S57....the S54 is by far the better one to fan out of the four.

Me, I venture out, even to the hoods lmao.

MTA New York City Bus 2011 Orion VII EPA10 7063MTA New York City Bus 2011 New Flyer XD40 "Xcelsior" 4878

15 hours ago, Cait Sith said:

You're bugging, any route that comes from the St. George Ferry Terminal gets most of the attention.....since that's where most of the buses originate from.

It's not so much the routes that don't get the attention, but the locations. Most fans will forever stay at St. George, Eltingville or Staten Island Mall to get pics because it's the easiest places to get to and/or from.....between the S54, S55, S56 and S57....the S54 is by far the better one to fan out of the four.

Me, I venture out, even to the hoods lmao.

This might be unfair (speaking from the vantage point of someone that's been all over the tri-state area, also having been on these NYC transit-based online forums for over a decade to boot), but I'm still going to disclose something here... While there's a bunch of great photography buffs on here (quality-wise), I seldom frequent the photos/videos sections of this board, large in part, because the photos are generally taken from the same areas..... For me, to hell with the hoods (which I feel like I'm in my natural element in anyway), one of the main reasons I started venturing out into the sticks more & more was out of sheer boredom with fanning w/I the city (NYC) itself....

More to the point, I'd say both you & Lil 57 are right....

If by "attention" we're talking about taking pics, it's more about the bus type (and the depot that bus runs out of) much more so than w/e route that physical bus is running on..... Sure enough, locale is also a factor....

If by "attention" we're talking about actually embarking on these buses, familiarity kicks in, where you definitely have 'fanners that have a preference for riding some routes over others (for whatever their reasons)...... Think about what you just said there - Out of the S54-57, the S54 by far & large is the better one to fan & what not..... Of course for some, they also prefer embarking on a particular bus type over another....

FWIW, what it all boils down to (much like anything else) is time, money, and effort into venturing into unfamiliar areas.

Archived