MTA Employees Accused Of Taking Up Parking Spaces Without Paying Meters In Brooklyn

Via Garibaldi 8

MTA Employees Accused Of Taking Up Parking Spaces Without Paying Meters In Brooklyn

August 2, 2018 at 8:09 pm

mta-hogging-parking-spots.jpg?w=1280&cfs

Video: https://newyork.cbslocal.com/2018/08/02/mta-employees-accused-of-hogging-parking-spaces/

Filed Under:Brooklyn, Cindy Hsu, Local TV, Marine Park, Marine Park Bus Terminal, MTA

NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) – Parked cars are driving people crazy in part of Brooklyn.

Residents say MTA employees are taking up space and getting a pass, when they should really be getting tickets.

As CBS2’s Cindy Hsu reported, there’s a big MTA bus terminal on Flatbush Avenue in Marine Park that takes up a whole block. Some are complaining MTA employees are taking up a whole lot of public parking spots without having to pay the meter.

“All day the MTA workers park their car alongside and they put their yellow and orange vests, as you can see, in there so that they don’t have to pay for the meter. They don’t feed the meter and they’re parked for 10 to 12 hours,” said Maria Zaharakis, whose family owns the New Floridian Diner across the street from the depot.

“It’s not fair to people who live in the neighborhood,” Brooklyn resident Caroline Alferoff said.

Along nearby streets, Hsu found nearly 20 cars with bright orange MTA vests in the front windows and even a toy MTA bus. But there were no Muni-Meter tickets in the windows and no parking tickets from the NYPD.

“They put in their car the Transit Authority uniforms, hats, logos, whatever, which seems to immunize them against getting violations,” said Councilman Alan Maisel.

Just two blocks away from the bus depot on Utica Avenue there’s a designated parking lot for MTA employees with lots of empty spots, Hsu reported.

The MTA said the issue has been raised in the past and the authority has repeatedly reminded employees to “adhere to all parking rules and regulations, which are enforced by the NYPD.”

Business owners and residents are hoping MTA employees will listen and regulations will be enforced.

The NYPD said the commanding officer of the local precinct is aware of the condition and is working to address it.

Source: https://newyork.cbslocal.com/2018/08/02/mta-employees-accused-of-hogging-parking-spaces/

4 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

MTA Employees Accused Of Taking Up Parking Spaces Without Paying Meters In Brooklyn

August 2, 2018 at 8:09 pm

mta-hogging-parking-spots.jpg?w=1280&cfs

Video: https://newyork.cbslocal.com/2018/08/02/mta-employees-accused-of-hogging-parking-spaces/

Filed Under:Brooklyn, Cindy Hsu, Local TV, Marine Park, Marine Park Bus Terminal, MTA

NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) – Parked cars are driving people crazy in part of Brooklyn.

Residents say MTA employees are taking up space and getting a pass, when they should really be getting tickets.

As CBS2’s Cindy Hsu reported, there’s a big MTA bus terminal on Flatbush Avenue in Marine Park that takes up a whole block. Some are complaining MTA employees are taking up a whole lot of public parking spots without having to pay the meter.

“All day the MTA workers park their car alongside and they put their yellow and orange vests, as you can see, in there so that they don’t have to pay for the meter. They don’t feed the meter and they’re parked for 10 to 12 hours,” said Maria Zaharakis, whose family owns the New Floridian Diner across the street from the depot.

“It’s not fair to people who live in the neighborhood,” Brooklyn resident Caroline Alferoff said.

Along nearby streets, Hsu found nearly 20 cars with bright orange MTA vests in the front windows and even a toy MTA bus. But there were no Muni-Meter tickets in the windows and no parking tickets from the NYPD.

“They put in their car the Transit Authority uniforms, hats, logos, whatever, which seems to immunize them against getting violations,” said Councilman Alan Maisel.

Just two blocks away from the bus depot on Utica Avenue there’s a designated parking lot for MTA employees with lots of empty spots, Hsu reported.

The MTA said the issue has been raised in the past and the authority has repeatedly reminded employees to “adhere to all parking rules and regulations, which are enforced by the NYPD.”

Business owners and residents are hoping MTA employees will listen and regulations will be enforced.

The NYPD said the commanding officer of the local precinct is aware of the condition and is working to address it.

Source: https://newyork.cbslocal.com/2018/08/02/mta-employees-accused-of-hogging-parking-spaces/

I was gonna add this from my channel with a different , but I think I'm too late.

"The NYPD said the commanding officer of the local precinct is aware of the condition and is working to address it."

Sure they are working to address it......right after they stop working on addressing their own parking violations.

1 hour ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

I don't understand why they can't just park their cars in the free designated lot two blocks over?  Are they that lazy?? 

Buses are sometimes parked in there (weekends/overnight/midday) and maybe there isnt enough space after that is done. 

7 minutes ago, Jdog14 said:

Buses are sometimes parked in there (weekends/overnight/midday) and maybe there isnt enough space after that is done. 

Doesn't seem to be the case based on the video.  If that is the case, the (MTA) needs to find space for more parking then.  I'm rather curious about how some of these depots are getting artics, etc. and how they're making all of this fit given that most of these depots haven't been renovated in God knows when.  Or here's a novel idea... How about they encourage employees to use Mass Transit to and from like so many other people do in this City and then they can see what we put up with to get to and from our jobs?  The idea of having people work for the largest transportation agency in the country where workers hop in their cars instead of on public transportation is rather ironic to say the least. 

4 minutes ago, Future ENY OP said:

.... This ain’t nothing new for Flatbush. That diner has been complaining for years.  However, the (MTA) is not in the business of building new depots right now. 

They should be, especially in Brooklyn.  Ulmer Park and Flatbush are two of the oldest depots in the division, plopped down in the middle of residential neighborhoods. 

1 minute ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Doesn't seem to be the case based on the video.  If that is the case, the (MTA) needs to find space for more parking then.  I'm rather curious about how some of these depots are getting artics, etc. and how they're making all of this fit given that most of these depots haven't been renovated in God knows when.  Or here's a novel idea... How about they encourage employees to use Mass Transit to and from like so many other people do in this City and then they can see what we put up with to get to and from our jobs?  The idea of having people work for the largest transportation agency in the country where workers hop in their cars instead of on public transportation is rather ironic to say the least. 

Many of these workers aren't coming from other parts of the city. Many of them come from PA, or upstate. 

2 minutes ago, Future ENY OP said:

.... This ain’t nothing new for Flatbush. That diner has been complaining for years.  However, the (MTA) is not in the business of building new depots right now. 

I was gonna say something, but do people ain’t got nothing else to do but bitch & complain about little stuff instead of this & that. Where do people expect  not in service buses and TA Personal cars to park at? Not in front of their house. The TA has I do believe permits for their FL operators and maintenance operations on that street. 

Just now, Jdog14 said:

Many of these workers aren't coming from other parts of the city. Many of them come from PA, or upstate. 

Right, but they can still drive in so far and take public transit from there.  My uncle took public transit in from Staten Island and NJ.  There's something terribly wrong with an agency that's supposed to help ease congestion creating more of it by not facilitating an environment that is transit friendly for its workers.

1 minute ago, FLX9304 said:

I was gonna say something, but do people ain’t got nothing else to do but bitch & complain about little stuff instead of this & that. Where do people expect  not in service buses and TA Personal cars to park at? Not in front of their house. The TA has I do believe permits for their FL operators and maintenance operations on that street. 

This isn't about Not in Service buses though.  It's only about personal vehicles parking on the street when there is parking for them two blocks over.  Why are they hogging spots in metered parking spots nonetheless and how are they getting a pass for it?  That means that any paying customer that wants to patronize any of the businesses on that block can't do so, and they have to park further away, likely deterring business.  If I were a business owner, I wouldn't be pleased either.

This isn't about Not in Service buses though.  It's only about personal vehicles parking on the street when there is parking for them two blocks over.  Why are they hogging spots in metered parking spots nonetheless and how are they getting a pass for it?  That means that any paying customer that wants to patronize any of the businesses on that block can't do so, and they have to park further away, likely deterring business.  If I were a business owner, I wouldn't be pleased either.

That’s a big “IF.” If there is a problem, then the city should step up to the problem and let the owner of the diner write a complaint. Why wait until now to complain about it when the TA drivers who park around the depot for their shifts. That should be bought to Dibiaso’s attention. Not the MTA!

1 minute ago, FLX9304 said:

That’s a big “IF.” If there is a problem, then the city should step up to the problem and let the owner of the diner write a complaint. Why wait until now to complain about it when the TA drivers who park around the depot for their shifts. That should be bought to Dibiaso’s attention. Not the MTA!

That makes absolutely no sense.  The (MTA) is supplying FREE parking for these employees in a designated lot, so if there's a parking issue then naturally the (MTA) should be the one addressing it because they are supposed to be directing them to park in that parking lot, not on the street in metered parking spaces.  It seems like you chose to read and watch what you wanted to to absolve these workers of their poor behavior.  

The only way this can be defended is if there is simply NO parking within the free parking lot that the (MTA) has for them, otherwise there is no reason that they should be hogging up metered parking spots and on top of it they don't even pay for them.

1 minute ago, BreeddekalbL said:

lol that parking is bout to be slowly taken up by buses and more so the (mta) has to do something

They're parking buses there now? I'm still wondering how they were able to take on artics.  Even when I lived in Brooklyn, there were always buses parked all over the street and that's when they didn't have artics. Of course I'm sure they have fewer 40 footers, but still.  It would make sense to just have parking solely for cars, which is what the article seems to state.

2 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

They're parking buses there now? I'm still wondering how they were able to take on artics.  Even when I lived in Brooklyn, there were always buses parked all over the street and that's when they didn't have artics. Of course I'm sure they have fewer 40 footers, but still.  It would make sense to just have parking solely for cars, which is what the article seems to state.

Since they received the Artics for the A train shuttle in 2013, they been parking the 40 foot buses in there 

43109849864_7538fa65a5_h.jpgUntitled by kennyhdr, on Flickr

2 minutes ago, Jdog14 said:

Since they received the Artics for the A train shuttle in 2013, they been parking the 40 foot buses in there 

43109849864_7538fa65a5_h.jpgUntitled by kennyhdr, on Flickr

So then they must not have enough space for the buses and personal cars. Funny that the (MTA) doesn't imply that space is a problem.  Not that would admit such a thing anyway on camera.

So then they must not have enough space for the buses and personal cars. Funny that the (MTA) doesn't imply that space is a problem.  Not that would admit such a thing anyway on camera.

Its worse now because they have more buses than they did in 2013..

Archived