MTA Employees Accused Of Taking Up Parking Spaces Without Paying Meters In Brooklyn

Via Garibaldi 8

15 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

You are a trip. I haven't heard of anyone paying to park at a parking meter for 10-12 hours a day 5 days a week.  

But you don't know the circumstances is all, if that spot/area has a 6hour limit or something than yes it's a problem but to say people don't pay for meters you can't know that for a fact.

I just like to cover all bases and be innocent until proven guilty lol.

Just now, trife86 said:

But you don't know the circumstances is all, if that spot/area has a 6hour limit or something than yes it's a problem but to say people don't pay for meters you can't know that got a fact.

These people aren't paying, that much is clear, and I have never heard of anyone paying 5 days a week to park 10-12 hours on the"typical" (MTA) salary at that (not the way some workers complain about not making enough - of course we both know that varies), not unless they like throwing their money away when there is free parking two blocks away.  In my old company we had people that drove in and paid for parking and they were living in places like Greenwich, or swank parts of Staten Island or New Jersey, in positions such as partner or principal.  They didn't park their Porsche outside for metered parking. They parked in a garage.  

4 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

These people aren't paying, that much is clear, and I have never heard of anyone paying 5 days a week to park 10-12 hours on the"typical" (MTA) salary at that (not the way some workers complain about not making enough - of course we both know that varies), not unless they like throwing their money away when there is free parking two blocks away.  In my old company we had people that drove in and paid for parking and they were living in places like Greenwich, or swank parts of Staten Island or New Jersey, in positions such as partner or principal.  They didn't park their Porsche outside for metered parking. They parked in a garage.  

Not saying you don't have a point. I very much hate illegal parking / non paying / hydrants / no standing areas as well. But just got to get all the facts down first.

They do it near my Depot too, even though there is enough employee spaces. 

Personally if I had a lot 2 blocks away vs free street parking closer I would still pick the lot due to hopefully being safer conditions less chance or a sideswipe or other damage on my vehicle. 

And if they were not paying the meter than yes screw them lol

1 minute ago, trife86 said:

Not saying you don't have a point. I very much hate illegal parking / non paying / hydrants / no standing areas as well. But just got to get all the facts down first.

They do it near my Depot too, even though there is enough employee spaces. 

Personally if I had a lot 2 blocks away vs free street parking closer I would still pick the lot due to hopefully being safer conditions less chance or a sideswipe or other damage on my vehicle. 

And if they were not paying the meter than yes screw them lol

My uncle when he drove in to the depot, he'd park in the spot that B/Os and everyone else was allowed to park in. Besides you know how some of those B/Os are showing off their fancy rides. lol Makes no sense to park them on the street to be damaged. 

7 hours ago, BreeddekalbL said:

lol that parking is bout to be slowly taken up by buses and more so the (mta) has to do something

Then the MTA can go out and find some parking instead of dumping their crap on the neighbors. This ain't rocket science; just because you need to park doesn't mean you can do whatever it takes to park without suffering the consequences like everybody else.

Why does the MTA hire people from areas so far away? I know NYC cost of living can be high, but personally I think we should only hire people from these areas:

• Bergen County
  • Essex County
  • Hudson County
  • Union County
  • Passaic County
  • NYC
  • Nassau County
  • Suffolk County
  • Westchester County
  • Putnam County

It comes down to being most MTA workers are not emergency official's and therefore do not have a residency requirement

6 hours ago, R68OnBroadway said:

Why does the MTA hire people from areas so far away? I know NYC cost of living can be high, but personally I think we should only hire people from these areas:

• Bergen County
  • Essex County
  • Hudson County
  • Union County
  • Passaic County
  • NYC
  • Nassau County
  • Suffolk County
  • Westchester County
  • Putnam County

2 hours ago, trife86 said:

It comes down to being most MTA workers are not emergency official's and therefore do not have a residency requirement

There should still be one though... workers should not have to drive all the way from other areas and clog streets, and they should also deal with the authority from a rider's perspective (I'm not forcing them to take the MTA, but saying they should live in the area so that they will most likely do)to see how poor service can be, so they can lobby to fix it.

14 hours ago, Gotham Bus Co. said:

The MTA prefers to hire and promote people who live outside NYC.

not necessarily. originally there was a nyc residency requirement in order to be hired. now, many employees once they get and maintain the job leave ny state. that is where the out of state/out of nyc residency numbers come from. and to be honest, can you blame us? prices in this city/state are atrocious. working for MTA while attempting to maintain a comfortable lifestyle living in this city is undoable, bottom line

On 8/3/2018 at 11:50 AM, BreeddekalbL said:

@EastFlatbushLarry or @Acela Express can you attest to the story here?

personally, the MTA is responsible for creating this mess, by screwing with the employee parking in the first place, but then again, sidewalk parking on the utica Avenue side has always existed, double parking on east 49 street has always existed, depot employees paying homeowners for parking has been a constant, and fighting for parking throughout that neighborhood has always been a thing. i know b/O's who are friendly with rite aid & walgreens managers so that they can utilize parking at those establishments. look, there are at least 700-800 bus operators who pass thru that building. not everyone uses mass transit to commute. nor should it be a requirement. not everyone lives near the depot. nor should it be a requirement. I'm not saying that the floridian or any other business should be "inconvenienced" but mta specifically Flatbush management should've solved this issue decades ago. can't blame the operators for carrying on tradition

1 hour ago, EastFlatbushLarry said:

not necessarily. originally there was a nyc residency requirement in order to be hired. now, many employees once they get and maintain the job leave ny state. that is where the out of state/out of nyc residency numbers come from. and to be honest, can you blame us? prices in this city/state are atrocious. working for MTA while attempting to maintain a comfortable lifestyle living in this city is undoable, bottom line

Officially, there is supposed to be a residency requirement, but waivers are given out like water — especially by executives who have waivers themselves, which is how priority is given to suburbanites.

At the same time, the average MTA employee is paid a bit more than the average City resident, so the "we can't afford to live here" argument doesn't hold much water. Ditto for cops and firefighters.

44 minutes ago, Gotham Bus Co. said:

Officially, there is supposed to be a residency requirement, but waivers are given out like water — especially by executives who have waivers themselves, which is how priority is given to suburbanites.

At the same time, the average MTA employee is paid a bit more than the average City resident, so the "we can't afford to live here" argument doesn't hold much water. Ditto for cops and firefighters.

last time i checked, when i was hired in 2009 there was no residency requirement. when my sister was hired as a conductor in april of this year, there was no nyc residency requirement on the original application form. however, when my uncle was hired as a b/o in 2005, there was a residency requirement. last i checked, there is currently no nyc residenct requirement for sanitation workers, and that was a mainstay for many years. i found that out at least 2 years ago. as far as the living in comfort argument, i vehemently disagree with you. just because i personally may earn more than the average nyc resident means that i must stupidly waste money on living expenses, gas, taxes & a home? yeah, I'll pass and take my earnings to Pennsylvania, where i can (and have) purchased a home for 3x less than i would've been able to purchase it within the downstate ny area. only fools spend alot when they're earning "alot". any and everyone is entitled to their opinion, but the fact is for myself and several other mta employees, is that new york ain't where it's at as far as financial peace of mind. i enjoy not living above my means, and not living in new york state affords me that luxury. 

last time i checked, when i was hired in 2009 there was no residency requirement. when my sister was hired as a conductor in april of this year, there was no nyc residency requirement on the original application form. however, when my uncle was hired as a b/o in 2005, there was a residency requirement. last i checked, there is currently no nyc residenct requirement for sanitation workers, and that was a mainstay for many years. i found that out at least 2 years ago. as far as the living in comfort argument, i vehemently disagree with you. just because i personally may earn more than the average nyc resident means that i must stupidly waste money on living expenses, gas, taxes & a home? yeah, I'll pass and take my earnings to Pennsylvania, where i can (and have) purchased a home for 3x less than i would've been able to purchase it within the downstate ny area. only fools spend alot when they're earning "alot". any and everyone is entitled to their opinion, but the fact is for myself and several other mta employees, is that new york ain't where it's at as far as financial peace of mind. i enjoy not living above my means, and not living in new york state affords me that luxury. 

If you hate NYC so much, why do you bother to work here?

27 minutes ago, Gotham Bus Co. said:

I got some sorry news for you. It's not just (MTA) employees that live outside the city. There are hard to fill positions at DCAS and all city agencies that DO NOT require city residency. It is by civil service rules. Currently if you are a newbie and you are hired to work with the city and you want to live outside the city, you must have 2 years of service before moving. Without getting into the politics to why NYC is so expensive to live. Understand this, the average person who has to pay $1500-1800/mo for a 1 bedroom apt in Brooklyn or Manhattan. You move outside the city along I-78, I-80, I-87, I-287, Turnpike to Exit 4 , I-195 (NJ Extension- Trenton, Jackson, Hamilton, Cherry Hill) and I-95 (PA extension) property values are better, expenses are better and living is just better.

last time i checked, when i was hired in 2009 there was no residency requirement. when my sister was hired as a conductor in april of this year, there was no nyc residency requirement on the original application form. however, when my uncle was hired as a b/o in 2005, there was a residency requirement. last i checked, there is currently no nyc residency requirement for sanitation workers, and that was a mainstay for many years. i found that out at least 2 years ago. as far as the living in comfort argument, i vehemently disagree with you. just because i personally may earn more than the average nyc resident means that i must stupidly waste money on living expenses, gas, taxes & a home? yeah, I'll pass and take my earnings to Pennsylvania, where i can (and have) purchased a home for 3x less than i would've been able to purchase it within the downstate ny area. only fools spend alot when they're earning "alot". any and everyone is entitled to their opinion, but the fact is for myself and several other mta employees, is that new york ain't where it's at as far as financial peace of mind. i enjoy not living above my means, and not living in new york state affords me that luxury. 

(I didn't really want to chime in on this b/c there are people who just don't understand to why it's gotta be only city residents who should have these jobs. Yes, granted if the city did it's due diligence to take care of it's people such as City, State and Federal employees who live in this great city should be able to get into a housing lottery without any bias). 

Also, you won't have people leaving the city for a better life in the suburbs Upstate New York, Jersey, Connecticut and PA. There are people who come as far as Lehigh Valley, Lancaster, Allentown, Norristown and other Philadelphia suburbs to New York City that work for the (MTA) and (NYCT) plus city agencies.

To: @EastFlatbushLarry: The last MTA residency requirement was in 2005 before MTA took over the testing from DCAS.  Yes, you are correct Sanitation hasn't had a residency requirement in a long time.

28 minutes ago, Future ENY OP said:

I got some sorry news for you. It's not just (MTA) employees that live outside the city. There are hard to fill positions at DCAS and all city agencies that DO NOT require city residency. It is by civil service rules. Currently if you are a newbie and you are hired to work with the city and you want to live outside the city, you must have 2 years of service before moving. Without getting into the politics to why NYC is so expensive to live. Understand this, the average person who has to pay $1500-1800/mo for a 1 bedroom apt in Brooklyn or Manhattan. You move outside the city along I-78, I-80, I-87, I-287, Turnpike to Exit 4 , I-195 (NJ Extension- Trenton, Jackson, Hamilton, Cherry Hill) and I-95 (PA extension) property values are better, expenses are better and living is just better.

(I didn't really want to chime in on this b/c there are people who just don't understand to why it's gotta be only city residents who should have these jobs. Yes, granted if the city did it's due diligence to take care of it's people such as City, State and Federal employees who live in this great city should be able to get into a housing lottery without any bias). 

Also, you won't have people leaving the city for a better life in the suburbs Upstate New York, Jersey, Connecticut and PA. There are people who come as far as Lehigh Valley, Lancaster, Allentown, Norristown and other Philadelphia suburbs to New York City that work for the (MTA) and (NYCT) plus city agencies.

To: @EastFlatbushLarry: The last MTA residency requirement was in 2005 before MTA took over the testing from DCAS.  Yes, you are correct Sanitation hasn't had a residency requirement in a long time.

I think there should be a requirement that these people LIVE here in NYC, maybe then we could get better service. These people are just coming here for the jobs, provide poor service for US City residents and then run back to wherever they live. It's disturbing. Similar to the requirement for NYPD cops. They'd run here then run back to the suburbs. They have no connection to the communities that they serve. 

1 hour ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

I think there should be a requirement that these people LIVE here in NYC, maybe then we could get better service. These people are just coming here for the jobs, provide poor service for US City residents and then run back to wherever they live. It's disturbing. Similar to the requirement for NYPD cops. They'd run here then run back to the suburbs. They have no connection to the communities that they serve. 

If you only knew how strict they are with attendance and tardiness you would know that not the issue at all

1 hour ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Only "allowance" I'd give is any employee must live in NY south of the Tappan Zee and east of the Wantagh Parkway in Nassau - roughly the core area where (MTA) screwups affect their neighbors.

2 minutes ago, trife86 said:

If you only knew how strict they are with attendance and tardiness you would know that not the issue at all

That has absolutely nothing to do with the service that we receive. Many of you guys don't live here and DRIVE so you aren't dependent on the system the way many New Yorkers are. If you were perhaps we would get better service. I've had express bus drivers comment that if a passenger gets screwed over by a driver that doesn't know the route and has to wait in the cold for another hour "oh well". Of course. He's on a nice warm bus...

7 minutes ago, Deucey said:

Only "allowance" I'd give is any employee must live in NY south of the Tappan Zee and east of the Wantagh Parkway in Nassau - roughly the core area where (MTA) screwups affect their neighbors.

My uncle lived most of his years here in NYC and usually got to work with the local bus to the ferry to the subway. When the driver screwed up he got screwed over getting to the depot in Manhattan, so he could relate to passengers receiving poor service and thus did his best to provide courteous service. He never forgot that many of his family members relied on the system and that's important. 

On 8/3/2018 at 11:01 AM, BreeddekalbL said:

Lmao a Depot is refered as a terminal 😂

Academy actually does use the term "terminals" to refer to their bus garages, so the folks at channel 2 weren't so far off-base....

As for the topic at hand, it's more of a courtesy system/unwritten rule that the NYPD has. They tend not to give parking tickets to employees of city and state agencies, and (MTA) employees use it to their advantage. It's just that too many (MTA) workers have exploited this situation while creating too much of a disruption to people that actually need those on-street parking spaces.

On 8/4/2018 at 5:27 PM, Gotham Bus Co. said:

for the same exact reason why many people who hate the noise crime and exuberant cost of living work here.. and leave in mass exodus to the suburbs of long Island and anywhere else where the wage they earn can actually not be totally spent on trying to live. and yes, i do hate new york. i lived the first 23 years of my life here, living in the projects. i earned the right to say "f**k new york... I'm out" with my little n***er rich money and live a different suitable life for myself and my family (if i started one when I was married, or. if i choose to going forward) i detest any human being who would attempt to make it seem like a bad thing for wanting a better life than what new york currently has to offer. I'm thankful for not being an ignorant fool thinking the world begins and ends with new york. and for the record, I'll gladly continue to take MTA paychecks, direct deposit after direct deposit, and spend my wages elsewhere, as I've been doing for the past 8 years. 

Archived