MTA Employees Accused Of Taking Up Parking Spaces Without Paying Meters In Brooklyn

Via Garibaldi 8

The purpose of the MTA isn't to provide jobs for city residents: The purpose of the MTA is to transport people. If the people who are qualified for the job live here, great. If not, that's also fine. 

As for bad workers, most of the issues are outside the workers' control. They're bound by the policies of the MTA, and understandably, they want to cover themselves. If a rookie B/O is restricted to a top speed of 15 mph and needs to stop at all yellow lights, that's the fault of the people who created those policies, not the rookie B/O. If a B/O is crawling between stops to avoid running ahead of schedule, the fault lies with the schedulers and the people who don't want to create common-sense policies such as having the B/Os wait at the timepoint, or at the minimum, wait at an actual bus stop for a few minutes so that people have the option of getting off, and more people have the chance to catch that bus. 

In any case, by definition, once the B/O gets back to his or her residence, the B/O is no longer at work. If a B/O has to travel from say The Bronx to Staten Island, it's not like there's a high chance that they will have too many neighbors that say "Hey I know you drive the route I take to work" anyway.

What everybody should be advocating for is better transit service in general (more efficient/effective routes and schedules that result in a cycle of increased ridership justifying increased service), so that more MTA jobs are available overall, regardless of the residency of the job holders. A lot of B/Os have crazy shift times that start or end when transit service isn't that great. For example, even the busy B46 runs once per hour overnight. If a B/O has to report to work at 5am, but the choices are the B46 that arrives at Kings Plaza at 4:13am or 5:16am, they might buy a car and drive even if they live further up Utica Avenue, just because of the infrequency of the route. Having better off-peak service in and of itself might at least give some B/Os an alternative to driving to work.

8 hours ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

The purpose of the MTA isn't to provide jobs for city residents: The purpose of the MTA is to transport people. If the people who are qualified for the job live here, great. If not, that's also fine. 

As for bad workers, most of the issues are outside the workers' control. They're bound by the policies of the MTA, and understandably, they want to cover themselves. If a rookie B/O is restricted to a top speed of 15 mph and needs to stop at all yellow lights, that's the fault of the people who created those policies, not the rookie B/O. If a B/O is crawling between stops to avoid running ahead of schedule, the fault lies with the schedulers and the people who don't want to create common-sense policies such as having the B/Os wait at the timepoint, or at the minimum, wait at an actual bus stop for a few minutes so that people have the option of getting off, and more people have the chance to catch that bus. 

In any case, by definition, once the B/O gets back to his or her residence, the B/O is no longer at work. If a B/O has to travel from say The Bronx to Staten Island, it's not like there's a high chance that they will have too many neighbors that say "Hey I know you drive the route I take to work" anyway.

What everybody should be advocating for is better transit service in general (more efficient/effective routes and schedules that result in a cycle of increased ridership justifying increased service), so that more MTA jobs are available overall, regardless of the residency of the job holders. A lot of B/Os have crazy shift times that start or end when transit service isn't that great. For example, even the busy B46 runs once per hour overnight. If a B/O has to report to work at 5am, but the choices are the B46 that arrives at Kings Plaza at 4:13am or 5:16am, they might buy a car and drive even if they live further up Utica Avenue, just because of the infrequency of the route. Having better off-peak service in and of itself might at least give some B/Os an alternative to driving to work.

I think some people would beg to differ. If its job was solely to transport people we wouldn't have stipulations requiring build in NY for (MTA) projects. Their job is not just to transport people but to do so EFFECTIVELY and EFFICIENTLY. You could actually argue that having so many workers outside of the city hampers service since they often times can't get in during inclement weather.

Employment is always AT WILL. No one is forced to work anywhere, so if a stipulation was added, those who don't like it could simply work elsewhere, just like any other job. I'd say it's something that should be considered, especially if it improves service for City residents who are the main people relying on the service.

On 8/4/2018 at 12:36 AM, R68OnBroadway said:

Why does the MTA hire people from areas so far away? I know NYC cost of living can be high, but personally I think we should only hire people from these areas:

• Bergen County
  • Essex County
  • Hudson County
  • Union County
  • Passaic County
  • NYC
  • Nassau County
  • Suffolk County
  • Westchester County
  • Putnam County

Its not the fact that they hire people from areas so far away.. When most of them got hired like myself, we lived in the city! Now we are making good enough money to move to a better area and still be close enough to get to work everyday! Thats the bottom line!

15 minutes ago, I Run Trains said:

Its not the fact that they hire people from areas so far away.. When most of them got hired like myself, we lived in the city! Now we are making good enough money to move to a better area and still be close enough to get to work everyday! Thats the bottom line!

I still think that they should live in NYC or nearby counties only as that way they are still connected to it outside of work... I'm sure that if many more MTA employees experienced how bad service can be, they would be more motivated to lobby for and to demand to fix it... I think they should see what it is like to be a person who the system moves in addition to being a person who moves the system. 

3 minutes ago, R68OnBroadway said:

I still think that they should live in NYC or nearby counties only as that way they are still connected to it outside of work... I'm sure that if many more MTA employees experienced how bad service can be, they would be more motivated to lobby for and to demand to fix it... I think they should see what it is like to be a person who the system moves in addition to being a person who moves the system. 

Why should it be required to live in NYC if the employees make it to work everyday and on time?  We (MTA) employee know how bad it is and can be!... but what does bad service have to do with the topic at hand?

2 minutes ago, R68OnBroadway said:

Eh, I don't think that an operator's life needs to be dictated by where he/she lives or what they take to get to work. They are people who work and comply with the MTA and as such, like everybody else. Should be able to do whatever they want with that money, including choosing where to live as long as they can make it to the job on time and in one piece. Forcing them to commute or even live near this city will ignore the bigger issue of this agency, bad management of money, so I see little need for this. 

45 minutes ago, R68OnBroadway said:

I agree 100%.  

2 hours ago, R68OnBroadway said:

So what, city residents can't own cars now?

1 minute ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

So what, city residents can't own cars now?

No... I'm not saying anybody has to take the MTA everywhere, I'm just saying they should live in the general area so that they can see what riders may suffer through as well. I guarantee you if nearly all the MTA employees lived in the counties listed, people would be all over Cuomo's ass to get him to fix the MTA... I also find it counterproductive for one of the MTA's goals to be to reduce pollution yet they still allow people to drive all the way up from Pennsylvania.

3 hours ago, R68OnBroadway said:

No... I'm not saying anybody has to take the MTA everywhere, I'm just saying they should live in the general area so that they can see what riders may suffer through as well. I guarantee you if nearly all the MTA employees lived in the counties listed, people would be all over Cuomo's ass to get him to fix the MTA... I also find it counterproductive for one of the MTA's goals to be to reduce pollution yet they still allow people to drive all the way up from Pennsylvania.

Who are u to say where a bus operator can live? If he or she is making it to work to perform their duties, it shouldn't matter where the operator lives. The problem is with management not having sufficient space for employee parking. The buses park in the street overnight because theres not enough room. The lot which is two blocks from the depot are not city blocks, they're long blocks. Stop faulting the blue collar worker for coming to work and going home to provide for his or her family. I do agree some operators have no clue what it's like waiting for the bus, but they qualified for the job under transits eye and if your bus makes it to your destination safely than be grateful

36 minutes ago, princejv26 said:

Who are u to say where a bus operator can live? If he or she is making it to work to perform their duties, it shouldn't matter where the operator lives. The problem is with management not having sufficient space for employee parking. The buses park in the street overnight because theres not enough room. The lot which is two blocks from the depot are not city blocks, they're long blocks. Stop faulting the blue collar worker for coming to work and going home to provide for his or her family. I do agree some operators have no clue what it's like waiting for the bus, but they qualified for the job under transits eye and if your bus makes it to your destination safely than be grateful

I'm not really concerned about parking (I do agree placard abuse is rampant, but the NYPD does it more than the MTA), but more or so against the idea of having employees who work in the city but live all the way in another state far away... If the MTA's goal is to reduce pollution yet we still have people driving in SUVs from PA than that is not good policy... I also don't support it from a tax perspective- It doesn't make sense to have people working for a state agency in one state yet live and pay taxes to another... while I understand that we get r@**d when it comes to taxes, MTA employees do tend to make more than average. I'm all for freedom to live in certain places, but there has to be limits (I would mandate that all employees live in NYS south of US 44, east of the Thruway, and west of the border with CT (excluding LI as all of LI and NYC will be within the permitted zone). If this stirs up too much controversy then just mandate it for new members only.

On ‎8‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 12:36 AM, R68OnBroadway said:

Why does the MTA hire people from areas so far away? I know NYC cost of living can be high, but personally I think we should only hire people from these areas:

• Bergen County
  • Essex County
  • Hudson County
  • Union County
  • Passaic County
  • NYC
  • Nassau County
  • Suffolk County
  • Westchester County
  • Putnam County
20 hours ago, R68OnBroadway said:

17 hours ago, R68OnBroadway said:

Where blue collar workers are coming from, I wouldn't take issue with (if they're punctual - which is a completely different argument than what you're raising).... It's the suits that are making major decisions that affect NYC commuters that are so out-of-touch with the everyday NY-er that it isn't even funny - that reside in areas well beyond NYC, that I find FAR more concerning......

The quality of service we're experiencing as NYC residents isn't on the blue collar worker, so to try to restrict where that worker comes from, won't amount to a hill of beans - while you still have the incompetency emanating from higher up the hierarchy....

AFAIC, you have a point, but it's misguided - This shit starts at the top, bud'.....

2 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

Where blue collar workers are coming from, I wouldn't take issue with (if they're punctual - which is a completely different argument than what you're raising).... It's the suits that are making major decisions that affect NYC commuters that are so out-of-touch with the everyday NY-er that it isn't even funny - that reside in areas well beyond NYC, that I find FAR more concerning......

The quality of service we're experiencing as NYC residents isn't on the blue collar worker, so to try to restrict where that worker comes from, won't amount to a hill of beans - while you still have the incompetency emanating from higher up the hierarchy....

AFAIC, you have a point, but it's misguided - This shit starts at the top, bud'.....

I know that politics is the main issue in the MTA, it's just that I am also saying we should have restrictions on residency.

6 minutes ago, R68OnBroadway said:

I know that politics is the main issue in the MTA, it's just that I am also saying we should have restrictions on residency.

Yes, I got your point.... Your posts though make it sound like the blue collar workers are the root cause of how bad service is... They're not oblivious to it, but at the same time, they don't make the rules/decisions.... They're powerless to do anything to fix this shitstorm that plagues us...... Where, or what's making you think that the b/o's, t/o's, etc. don't realize how much riders suffer?

I mean, they can place residency restrictions on new hires or whatever, but I don't see what that solves or quells..... You may say you don't mean you want (those hires) taking the MTA everywhere, but at the same time, your commentary predicates workers working close to home (so to speak) to see how much riders suffer, how much BS the avg. commuter here has to put up with, etc., etc....

You're putting too much of an onus on the workers.

4 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

Yes, I got your point.... Your posts though make it sound like the blue collar workers are the root cause of how bad service is... They're not oblivious to it, but at the same time, they don't make the rules/decisions.... They're powerless to do anything to fix this shitstorm that plagues us...... Where, or what's making you think that the b/o's, t/o's, etc. don't realize how much riders suffer?

I mean, they can place residency restrictions on new hires or whatever, but I don't see what that solves or quells..... You may say you don't mean you want (those hires) taking the MTA everywhere, but at the same time, your commentary predicates workers working close to home (so to speak) to see how much riders suffer, how much BS the avg. commuter here has to put up with, etc., etc....

You're putting too much of an onus on the workers.

I think his point is similar to what happened with the NYPD.  You had large amounts of NYPD officers who just worked in NYC. They ran back to the suburbs afterwards and were essentially disconnected from the communities that they served.  Did they serve the community? Yes.  Did they do so effectively? No. 

You could argue that this is somewhat true with some of the (MTA) workers.  I just think that a lot of the newbies these days can't swing it and the excuse that there are so many rules and so on is just that, as if suddenly the (MTA) just came up with rules overnight.  They've always been hard @sses going back to when my uncle drove, and he was a B/O for over 25 years, and you know what? He commuted primarily using the (MTA) and he was a damn good driver. He made an extra effort because he put up with the same system that the passengers did to get to and from work.  That's what I think we're talking about here.  He gave a damn because he understood. Some of these guys just hop in their cars and sail off afterwards, so outside of driving they really don't put up with the service to understand what the passengers deal with.  They're dealing with another perspective which is the (MTA) from the employee perspective.  Completely different... My uncle just retired a few years ago.  What about the old-timers that managed to drive and adhere to schedules?  There are only a handful of these types left.  Even the (MTA) admits that the newbies can hack it.  Is it partly because of so many of them not living in NYC? I don't know, but being a New Yorker and living HERE in the city, New Yorkers just know how to get with it and make it work.  You have to have a mix of that intuition while sticking to the book and this in my opinion is where it makes a difference.  You live here, so you KNOW the streets, you know the ins and outs.  The small things that allow you to make the schedules work.  Some of these guys they just drive. They aren't B/Os and certainly aren't cut out to be B/Os here in NYC.

I had an old-timer this morning.  He drives safely, but he knows how to move and get us there either on-time or early.  Really refreshing... Polite, always speaks. Great guy. I've had him for a number of years now on the BxM1.  I wish they could clone him. I enjoy getting his bus because I know he is going to make an effort to get me there on time.

6 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

I think his point is similar to what happened with the NYPD.  You had large amounts of NYPD officers who just worked in NYC. They ran back to the suburbs afterwards and were essentially disconnected from the communities that they served.  Did they serve the community? Yes.  Did they do so effectively? No. 

You could argue that this is somewhat true with some of the (MTA) workers.  I just think that a lot of the newbies these days can't swing it and the excuse that there are so many rules and so on is just that, as if suddenly the (MTA) just came up with rules overnight.  They've always been hard @sses going back to when my uncle drove, and he was a B/O for over 25 years, and you know what? He commuted primarily using the (MTA) and he was a damn good driver. He made an extra effort because he put up with the same system that the passengers did to get to and from work.  That's what I think we're talking about here.  He gave a damn because he understood. Some of these guys just hop in their cars and sail off afterwards, so outside of driving they really don't put up with the service to understand what the passengers deal with.  They're dealing with another perspective which is the (MTA) from the employee perspective.  Completely different... My uncle just retired a few years ago.  What about the old-timers that managed to drive and adhere to schedules?  There are only a handful of these types left.  Even the (MTA) admits that the newbies can hack it.  Is it partly because of so many of them not living in NYC? I don't know, but being a New Yorker and living HERE in the city, New Yorkers just know how to get with it and make it work.  You have to have a mix of that intuition while sticking to the book and this in my opinion is where it makes a difference.  You live here, so you KNOW the streets, you know the ins and outs.  The small things that allow you to make the schedules work.  Some of these guys they just drive. They aren't B/Os and certainly aren't cut out to be B/Os here in NYC.

I had an old-timer this morning.  He drives safely, but he knows how to move and get us there either on-time or early.  Really refreshing... Polite, always speaks. Great guy. I've had him for a number of years now on the BxM1.  I wish they could clone him. I enjoy getting his bus because I know he is going to make an effort to get me there on time.

Your argument is more a new school vs. old school thing; generational.... The work ethic of some of these new hires leaves much to be desired & has little to do with this bit about having MTA workers only reside close-by (or close enough), due to the belief that they'll be that much more empathetic and/or sympathetic to the NYC commuter - especially enough to light a fire under Cuomo's ass to right this sinking ship....

What I find funny about this bit about a residency restriction for the workers is - What about those that already hop in their cars before & after a day's work - that live here in the city? Are these supposed to be the same workers that's supposed to exude some increased level of sympathy/empathy that are the same workers that (as you put it) "just drive (the bus)".... Do you know how many people that drive in this city that could give a shit about somebody's commute on an MTA bus/train.... It's the premise of this whole residency restriction bit that I find to be much ado about much of nothing.... What I honestly believe R68 really wants to say is that MTA workers should be residents of those counties he listed, and on top of it, utilizing MTA's buses/trains to get to work, just like the bevy of NYC residents here do..... It all ties into this narrative of feeling the pain & having the damn blue collar workers raise enough of a fuss to get the incompetent, out of touch upper mgmt. within this agency to get things back on the right track (so to speak)..... I see that for what it is - it's short game & that's not the responsibility of the blue collar worker... It just, isn't.

IDGAS if you're from the boroughs or from the Poconos, if you're one of these clock punchers that are only in it for the money & could give a damn about those that benefit from your particular trade/skill set/expertise, that attitude isn't gonna somehow vanish because you work closer to home.... You're a mgr., you know this just as well as I do.....

On 8/6/2018 at 12:47 AM, checkmatechamp13 said:

The purpose of the MTA isn't to provide jobs for city residents: The purpose of the MTA is to transport people. If the people who are qualified for the job live here, great. If not, that's also fine.....

Some people will (try to) have you believe otherwise.... You don't know how many times I've heard some variation of *the city should hire more people so they can feed their families* (never mind that the MTA is a state agency, but that's neither here nor there)..... Or my personal favorite (albeit not regarding the MTA), the main responsibility of any company is to provide jobs to improve the economy & lessen the unemployment rate..... LOFL....

While I actually have no desire to run a business, man, I'll be damned if some so and so'd have me believe that my main objective in starting up my business is to improve the financial situation of some somebody that wouldn't take a fresh yellow piss on me if I was on fire otherwise.....

5 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

Your argument is more a new school vs. old school thing; generational.... The work ethic of some of these new hires leaves much to be desired & has little to do with this bit about having MTA workers only reside close-by (or close enough), due to the belief that they'll be that much more empathetic and/or sympathetic to the NYC commuter - especially enough to light a fire under Cuomo's ass to right this sinking ship....

What I find funny about this bit about a residency restriction for the workers is - What about those that already hop in their cars before & after a day's work - that live here in the city? Are these supposed to be the same workers that's supposed to exude some increased level of sympathy/empathy that are the same workers that (as you put it) "just drive (the bus)".... Do you know how many people that drive in this city that could give a shit about somebody's commute on an MTA bus/train.... It's the premise of this whole residency restriction bit that I find to be much ado about much of nothing.... What I honestly believe R68 really wants to say is that MTA workers should be residents of those counties he listed, and on top of it, utilizing MTA's buses/trains to get to work, just like the bevy of NYC residents here do..... It all ties into this narrative of feeling the pain & having the damn blue collar workers raise enough of a fuss to get the incompetent, out of touch upper mgmt. within this agency to get things back on the right track (so to speak)..... I see that for what it is - it's short game & that's not the responsibility of the blue collar worker... It just, isn't.

IDGAS if you're from the boroughs or from the Poconos, if you're one of these clock punchers that are only in it for the money & could give a damn about those that benefit from your particular trade/skill set/expertise, that attitude isn't gonna somehow vanish because you work closer to home.... You're a mgr., you know this just as well as I do.....

You make a good point because there are indeed lots of people in the City that are anti-transit as well, but I think you have to find a way to get folks that will help to turn things around. Regardless of what changes you make, that bus is only going to be as good as the driver driving it.

At least on the RTO side, employees are already incentivized to take the subway since, if you are delayed, you can get the delay verification based on the train you are on so you don't get in trouble. Not sure if there is a similar system in place for Bus/MNRR/LIRR

Let me chime in here with some quick points. While some people seem to grasp the general idea of residency some are very misguided. When I started with NYCTA in the mid sixties most people did reside in the five boroughs. We made a good wage ( I was a teenager) and folks raised their families here. The upwardly mobile did move to Westchester, Bergen, Essex, and the eastern counties of Long Island. By the early seventies crime was increasing in NYC and the housing stock was redlined and deteriorating. It made sense to move. Just because those people moved elsewhere and the present workers may live beyond the city limits doesn’t mean they don’t see the conditions as well as a city resident. A B/O is working in those conditions whereas the average person is just passing through. I’m going to oversimplify the argument to make a point. If those older folks didn’t move away and were forced to stay in NYC where would the younger applicants for these jobs come from? The housing stock in the city has always been limited. That’s part of the reason why I grew up with and worked with some second and third generation coworkers. They all resided in the same households. One of my best friends family consisted of his father, bus mechanic, himself, a bus cleaner, and his son, a B/O . His uncle was also a bus mechanic and his cousin is a B/O. The uncle and cousin lived a few blocks away from us. If residency was limited to NYC only that would take five jobs out of the potential pool for new hires.

BTW Flatbush depot was not plopped down in a residential neighborhood. If the buses didn’t come to the neighborhood down there it would still be farmland 😁. Just my opinion. Carry on.

On 8/3/2018 at 1:17 PM, Jdog14 said:

Since they received the Artics for the A train shuttle in 2013, they been parking the 40 foot buses in there 

43109849864_7538fa65a5_h.jpgUntitled by kennyhdr, on Flickr

On 8/3/2018 at 1:22 PM, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

So then they must not have enough space for the buses and personal cars. Funny that the (MTA) doesn't imply that space is a problem.  Not that would admit such a thing anyway on camera.

Wow, that FLA employee parking lot?!? Never knew....

On 8/4/2018 at 12:36 AM, R68OnBroadway said:

• Bergen County
  • Essex County
  • Hudson County
  • Union County
  • Passaic County
  • NYC
  • Nassau County
  • Suffolk County
  • Westchester County
  • Putnam County

Hmmm, when I move within the next month, looks I still qualify under your guidelines......

On 8/8/2018 at 4:12 PM, Trainmaster5 said:

Let me chime in here with some quick points. While some people seem to grasp the general idea of residency some are very misguided. When I started with NYCTA in the mid sixties most people did reside in the five boroughs. We made a good wage ( I was a teenager) and folks raised their families here. The upwardly mobile did move to Westchester, Bergen, Essex, and the eastern counties of Long Island. By the early seventies crime was increasing in NYC and the housing stock was redlined and deteriorating. It made sense to move. Just because those people moved elsewhere and the present workers may live beyond the city limits doesn’t mean they don’t see the conditions as well as a city resident. A B/O is working in those conditions whereas the average person is just passing through. I’m going to oversimplify the argument to make a point. If those older folks didn’t move away and were forced to stay in NYC where would the younger applicants for these jobs come from? The housing stock in the city has always been limited. That’s part of the reason why I grew up with and worked with some second and third generation coworkers. They all resided in the same households. One of my best friends family consisted of his father, bus mechanic, himself, a bus cleaner, and his son, a B/O . His uncle was also a bus mechanic and his cousin is a B/O. The uncle and cousin lived a few blocks away from us. If residency was limited to NYC only that would take five jobs out of the potential pool for new hires.

BTW Flatbush depot was not plopped down in a residential neighborhood. If the buses didn’t come to the neighborhood down there it would still be farmland 😁. Just my opinion. Carry on.

The idea isn’t that foreign though and you know why it was enacted.  NYPD officers are required to live in NYC or an approved area of New York. They face the same housing issues that others face and they manage. I’m not so sure I agree with the idea that is being implied, which is that if such a requirement was enacted that we’d have fewer applicants. They are still GOOD paying jobs despite all of the moaning that occurs, and certainly better than all of the low paying service jobs out here.

The MTA should pay us more if they want us to stay in the city. We make a good single persons wage. When you throw a family into the mix, it becomes harder to stay here space wise and financially. That's why so many of us move outside of the city

Archived