Preliminary Budget 2019-2022

Future ENY OP

http://web.mta.info/news/pdf/MTA-2019-Prelim-Budget-July-Financial-Plan-2019-2022-Vol2.pdf

SBS

Defer new Select Bus Service routes until 2021 - await the results from the Network Redesign, which is a critical component of the “Bus Plan”.

The SBS budget assumes 2 new routes per year. Following implementation of the B82, defer new routes to 2021.

Bus Action Plan

The projected 2019 increase is mainly driven by NYCT ($58 million), attributable to the Subway and Bus Action Plans which target key areas of track, signal, and infrastructure as well as station, fleet, bus service and customer communications. Other unfavorable variances include B&T ($4 million), mostly due to inflationary and contractual increases, and MTAHQ ($4 million), mainly due to ongoing costs related to the Madison Avenue properties, inflation, and contractual increases. These unfavorable projections are partially offset by decreases of $3 million at MNR, due mostly to the timing of repairs for equipment damaged in the Bridgeport derailment, the BL- 20 Locomotive Overhaul Program, and Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) mandated repairs. Other decreases include SIR ($3 million) due to the completion of R44 maintenance work, and MTA Bus ($2 million) due to Shop Program and inflationary changes.

The projected 2020 decrease is mainly driven by the following: NYCT ($35 million), reflecting lower Subway and Bus Action Plans requirements; MTA Bus ($10 million), mostly due to the end of the Articulated Bus program, facility Wi-Fi, Bus Camera, and Shop Program changes; and MNR ($2 million), due to the timing of repairs required for equipment damaged in the Bridgeport derailment, Ticket Vending Machine (TVM) chip upgrades, and a reduction in real estate rental expenses. Costs are projected to increase at the LIRR ($6 million), reflective of Moynihan Station maintenance and other operating costs, East Side Access (ESA) readiness efforts, and also for the above-mentioned reasons at B&T ($4 million).

Bus to the Ferry

When NYC DOT increased Staten Island Ferry service from 1 trip to 2 trips per hour during overnight hours, NYCT increased bus service to meet the ferry schedule; however ridership has been very low on that service. This proposal reverts bus service back to one per hour.

Just wanted to point out the bus changes.. Comments, Criticisms, Concerns.

This was previously posted on the subway side by: @Union Tpke

1 hour ago, Future ENY OP said:

http://web.mta.info/news/pdf/MTA-2019-Prelim-Budget-July-Financial-Plan-2019-2022-Vol2.pdf

SBS

Defer new Select Bus Service routes until 2021 - await the results from the Network Redesign, which is a critical component of the “Bus Plan”.

The SBS budget assumes 2 new routes per year. Following implementation of the B82, defer new routes to 2021.

Bus Action Plan

The projected 2019 increase is mainly driven by NYCT ($58 million), attributable to the Subway and Bus Action Plans which target key areas of track, signal, and infrastructure as well as station, fleet, bus service and customer communications. Other unfavorable variances include B&T ($4 million), mostly due to inflationary and contractual increases, and MTAHQ ($4 million), mainly due to ongoing costs related to the Madison Avenue properties, inflation, and contractual increases. These unfavorable projections are partially offset by decreases of $3 million at MNR, due mostly to the timing of repairs for equipment damaged in the Bridgeport derailment, the BL- 20 Locomotive Overhaul Program, and Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) mandated repairs. Other decreases include SIR ($3 million) due to the completion of R44 maintenance work, and MTA Bus ($2 million) due to Shop Program and inflationary changes.

The projected 2020 decrease is mainly driven by the following: NYCT ($35 million), reflecting lower Subway and Bus Action Plans requirements; MTA Bus ($10 million), mostly due to the end of the Articulated Bus program, facility Wi-Fi, Bus Camera, and Shop Program changes; and MNR ($2 million), due to the timing of repairs required for equipment damaged in the Bridgeport derailment, Ticket Vending Machine (TVM) chip upgrades, and a reduction in real estate rental expenses. Costs are projected to increase at the LIRR ($6 million), reflective of Moynihan Station maintenance and other operating costs, East Side Access (ESA) readiness efforts, and also for the above-mentioned reasons at B&T ($4 million).

Bus to the Ferry

When NYC DOT increased Staten Island Ferry service from 1 trip to 2 trips per hour during overnight hours, NYCT increased bus service to meet the ferry schedule; however ridership has been very low on that service. This proposal reverts bus service back to one per hour.

I feel that deferring new SBS routes until the bus network redesign is smart because by that time buses will most likely have all door boarding. 

I'm confused with the end of the articulated bus program. 

edit:

So it looks like they're ending the articulated bus loan program MTA bus has with NYCT. I'm guessing the whole reason why the B82 sbs was delayed from 2017 to 2018 (before the current delay of community opposition) was because the MTA wanted newer buses for the route because the Q52 and Q53 are using NYCT artic buses at the moment. 

32 minutes ago, Brillant93 said:

I feel that deferring new SBS routes until the bus network redesign is smart because by that time buses will most likely have all door boarding. 

I'm confused with the end of the articulated bus program. 

edit:

So it looks like they're ending the articulated bus loan program MTA bus has with NYCT. I'm guessing the whole reason why the B82 sbs was delayed from 2017 to 2018 (before the current delay of community opposition) was because the MTA wanted newer buses for the route because the Q52 and Q53 are using NYCT artic buses at the moment. 

I feel the same way about deferring the SBS routes until after the network redesign is done, but do you think that they will revamp the current SBS routes in operation with this Network Redesign plan.

I was also confused about the ending of the Articulated Bus Program as well, until this post, but I realize that this means that they are going to end the MTA Bus lease of the 48 XD60s, which were diverted from NYCT depots in Manhattan, Brooklyn, and Queens, on the Q52 and Q53 SBS and send them back there when their dedicated 53-Bus order comes.

In regards to the B82 SBS, even if the Artic order wasn’t diverted, they probably would’ve started with 40-foot buses anyway, since East NY is not Artic ready yet. I think the delay was due to something else.

5 hours ago, JeremiahC99 said:

I feel the same way about deferring the SBS routes until after the network redesign is done, but do you think that they will revamp the current SBS routes in operation with this Network Redesign plan.

I think you may see SBS routes mostly in their current form since they are currently associated with physical stop infrastructure, but at the same time nothing would prevent them from, rearranging parts of routes. 

1 hour ago, bobtehpanda said:

I think you may see SBS routes mostly in their current form since they are currently associated with physical stop infrastructure, but at the same time nothing would prevent them from, rearranging parts of routes. 

So if the redesign the routes, they can rip out the machines and put them somewhere else if it is determined that an SBS route needs changing.

On 8/5/2018 at 5:04 AM, bobtehpanda said:

On 8/5/2018 at 6:29 AM, JeremiahC99 said:

So if the redesign the routes, they can rip out the machines and put them somewhere else if it is determined that an SBS route needs changing.

Sbs routes were rerouted. Well some of them. So I believe most of them would stay current to their route design. It’s the other routes like the routes that do those zig zag turns that are going to be redesigned. 

On 8/4/2018 at 9:20 PM, Future ENY OP said:

SBS

Bus Action Plan

Bus to the Ferry

I wanted to comment on the overnight service on SIF/Bus meets and as if why would the MTA make 1/2 hour services knowing for the fact that most people are not riding overnight? To me, 1/2 hour services is just a waste of taxpayer’s dollars. Just keep the service at hourly. 

2 hours ago, FLX9304 said:

I wanted to comment on the overnight service on SIF/Bus meets and as if why would the MTA make 1/2 hour services knowing for the fact that most people are not riding overnight? To me, 1/2 hour services is just a waste of taxpayer’s dollars. Just keep the service at hourly. 

It was originally to have people have a bus for every ferry overnight due to the ferry change in schedule. Now if you don't get the "right" ferry, you going to be waiting for 30+ minutes, or be forced to take a cab.

Archived