staten island local bus study?

limitednyc

5 hours ago, trife86 said:

Idont know man Everytime I been on it it's 14-16min

Still, for a 3 mile route, that's only 12 mph. And I traveled during rush hour. I used to tutor somebody at the last stop, and we would pull into Clyde Place at 4:55pm. (But yeah, late in the evening, it runs quickly, but so do most routes)

1 hour ago, P3F said:

According to http://busturnaround.nyc, the averages are:

Q35: 16.3 mph

S79: 14.5 mph

S55: 14.4 mph

S56: 13.9 mph

Quick? Yes. The quickest in the city? No.

My bad. I forgot about the Q35, and I guess I switched the order of the S79 & S55. 

On 8/6/2018 at 10:24 AM, Lil 57 said:

The S55/56 don't run on weekends due to their very low ridership, and it keeps dropping. They need to have those routes go to someplace of interest. (NJ, CSI, etc...)

They never ran on weekends since the days it was the R115. They did however, got extended over a period of time to the Mall. The 55’s decline was due  part the closing of the Arthur Kills Prison site a few years back. The 55/56’s service ends early on weekday evenings. 

20 hours ago, RailRunRob said:

Yep, St George area super short route indeed kinda like it's Queens counterpart the Q42.  The S89 was just an unexpectedly fast run I don't think we stopped at a light once in NJ on 440. Richmond Ave once we passed Victory guy was in the left lane down to the Mall. There are certain routes on SI where the roles are almost flipped the Express Routes make all the stops and pickups on Island and a Limited bus may have a larger space between stops. I've seen S79's bypass and beat several  X1(SIM1 now) down Hylan to Eltingville. Same with the S89 the other day passed afew SIM4's along with S44/94 and S59's. Can't say the same for any other place in the City. I guess Staten Islands isolation and unique express bus network makes it abit Special.

I drove down 440 in Bayonne yesterday & wonder why the S89 makes no stops bet. the bridge & the LRV sta. There are businesses & shopping areas all along there that would probably boost ridership.

9 hours ago, Hound said:

I drove down 440 in Bayonne yesterday & wonder why the S89 makes no stops bet. the bridge & the LRV sta. There are businesses & shopping areas all along there that would probably boost ridership.

I think the MTA only has permission for 1 stop in NJ not sure the process to add more. But your right definitely Walmart and a few other things along the route.  

4 hours ago, RailRunRob said:

I think the MTA only has permission for 1 stop in NJ not sure the process to add more. But your right definitely Walmart and a few other things along the route.  

In the local routes redesign is it possible to extend some South Shore routes into NJ (Perth Amboy or Woodbridge NJT, Woodbridge Center Mall, Menlo Park)? And what’s the farthest out they would realistically go? Metropark Amtrak/NJT is 10 minutes from the Outerbridge, but really far (6.5 miles). It’s pie-in-the-sky but I could see a route from the ETC down Woodrow or Drumgoole to the now basically-abandoned Outerbridge Park and Ride to Metropark via Woodbridge Center. Except they scrapped the plans to actually connect the Outerbridge Park and Ride to the Outerbridge itself... (you can still see the on-ramp right-of-way on Google Maps)

8 hours ago, SIMplicity said:

In the local routes redesign is it possible to extend some South Shore routes into NJ (Perth Amboy or Woodbridge NJT, Woodbridge Center Mall, Menlo Park)? And what’s the farthest out they would realistically go? Metropark Amtrak/NJT is 10 minutes from the Outerbridge, but really far (6.5 miles). It’s pie-in-the-sky but I could see a route from the ETC down Woodrow or Drumgoole to the now basically-abandoned Outerbridge Park and Ride to Metropark via Woodbridge Center. Except they scrapped the plans to actually connect the Outerbridge Park and Ride to the Outerbridge itself... (you can still see the on-ramp right-of-way on Google Maps)

I would restructure the existing S55/56 to run over the Outerbridge. No need for a bus through the park & ride.

6 hours ago, SIMplicity said:

So it's as simple as that? No working with the township? No rules from NJ?

Arthur Kill Correctional Facility had very little impact upon the S/55 as it (was) and is a weekday route, When we add up the number of riders for the year,for  period of September 2007 - January 2011, my  opinion was that it was at the most a couple of hundred for the  time period up to February 2011 when the facility began downsizing for the eventual closure ion December 1, 2011.

For the record, i was one of them who rode the S/55 from September 2007 till my retirement at the end of September of 2010 and  the highest number of riders that we had on the 4:08 PM bus was eight riders and it was usually between 2-4 on  an average day. Most of the the times that I rode the S/55 , the route from Prince's Bay to the Correctional Facility or vice versa,I was (or we were) the only one(s) that rode that portion of the route.

The impact of the closing of the Arthur Kill Correctional Facility on the S/74 in terms of numbers was quite different as the S/74 ran on the weekends when the inmates were permitted to have visitors. Over the years, the 7 AM weekend run was standing room only from the ferry and it got so bad that one of the drivers forced management to add the 7:01 AM run during the 1990's to carry the large number of riders to the facility. In addition there was a 3:45 PM run from the facility to the ferry for the visitors. So the numbers that are involved for the S/74 were at least 75 - 125 riders per weekend day (this is an estimate) and is based on ridership during the 7 AM - 4 PM time period. So the loss in terms of ridership for the S/74 from December 2011 ( when the facility closed as compared with previous year) was a few thousand riders along with the loss of 2 trips.

2 hours ago, RailRunRob said:

So it's as simple as that? No working with the township? No rules from NJ?

In terms of SI-NJ service, here's the catch (as I see it)... NY would be more receptive of an NJT interstate local route than NJ would of an MTA interstate local route, but the chances of an interstate route are greater if that service is MTA ran vs. being NJT ran.... Let that sink in.

IAWTP you raise here though.... While I would ideally like for there to be more bus coverage b/w SI & NJ, I'm not holding my breath.... Working with the twp's indeed - that's even an issue within the state of NJ when it comes to bus service....

FWIW, honestly, I would've favored the NJT#10 running to Egbert Triangle (Forest/Willowbrook) over having a route run via Richmond av. up from Hylan, only to connect to the HBLR....

On 8/24/2018 at 1:18 PM, Hound said:

I have wondered why the S89 goes all the way to 34th Street station when the 8th Street station is so much closer.

10 minutes ago, Gotham Bus Co. said:

I have wondered why the S89 goes all the way to 34th Street station when the 8th Street station is so much closer.

At the time of its creation (September 4th, 2007) the 8th Street station didn't exist, and 22nd Street is a little bit further from Route 440, so they decided to send it to 34th Street.

But yes, I agree that now that 8th Street is open, they should cut it back there (the only issue is, because there's a single track south of 22nd Street, there's a slightly lower frequency from 8th Street compared to from 22nd Street or 34th Street)

14 minutes ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

At the time of its creation (September 4th, 2007) the 8th Street station didn't exist, and 22nd Street is a little bit further from Route 440, so they decided to send it to 34th Street.

But yes, I agree that now that 8th Street is open, they should cut it back there (the only issue is, because there's a single track south of 22nd Street, there's a slightly lower frequency from 8th Street compared to from 22nd Street or 34th Street)

Compared to the ridiculous loop that's needed to approach the 34th Street Station, 22nd Street is actually closer.

On 8/24/2018 at 9:01 AM, B35 via Church said:

I've never heard of anyone saying that the S42 is quick & quite frankly, it's not my assessment of the route either.... It's a route that exists that transports riders with terrain in mind.

And it's always late - AM or PM...

Archived